Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• ...and Audio Damage followed up with a Tweet hinting at another new release that might work well with this new functionality!

• Fantastic news!

• Super cool 👍🏽

• Can @j_liljedahl then please tell all the other host devs how it's done? He's the first one to figure it out :)

• @richardyot said:

Giel Bremmers also has it in Multitrack studio though :)

• @Carnbot said:

@richardyot said:

I didn't know that.

• @Carnbot said:

@richardyot said:

It's not mentioned in the manual. How can I verify this in writing?
    I thought Woodpresser and the Pumphouse approach were the only choices.

I know Auria Pro added the feature for the IAP FabFilter FX'es they coded for Auria Pro.

But MTS? Really?

• @richardyot said:
    Can @j_liljedahl then please tell all the other host devs how it's done? He's the first one to figure it out :)

It's basic audio routing like any bus implementation but the trick is exposing multiple ins and outs in the FX app. Fab Filter has them ready for the DAW to implement using their interfaces. But would FF make it a de facto standard? Will Apple break it?

I want multi-channel IO for a variety of use cases... with side-chaining being just one.
    FX Developers can make a lot new tools with 4 audio channels in and 4 out.

This is like the early days of the AudioBus.

1. A de facto API to kick-start a new class of apps. (AudioBus)
    2. Then Apple will counter with their approach. (IAA)
    3. and again with a better implementation. (AU version 3)

But I'll love the FF FX'es even more if this gets traction and starts the new revolution for
    new wider busses... 5.1 Audio? Quodrophenia?

• Pumphouse and Bleass Sidekick work fairly well honestly.

• @YourJunk said:
    Pumphouse and Bleass Sidekick work fairly well honestly.

But Pro-C with side-chaining? Expect ToneBoosters to be on this path too.
    Any dev that has a working implementation in VST's and Mac AU's.

Ho does @j_liljedahl do it? PM him, I guess. Not you user... dev's.

• And this is why I’m ‘dawless’

Top stuff @j_liljedahl 👌

• edited January 2020

@McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@richardyot said:

I know Auria Pro added the feature for the IAP FabFilter FX'es they coded for Auria Pro.

But MTS? Really?

https://discchord.com/appnews/2019/08/01/multitrackstudio-for-ipad-update

• @McD said:

@richardyot said:
    Can @j_liljedahl then please tell all the other host devs how it's done? He's the first one to figure it out :)

It's basic audio routing like any bus implementation but the trick is exposing multiple ins and outs in the FX app. Fab Filter has them ready for the DAW to implement using their interfaces. But would FF make it a de facto standard? Will Apple break it?

It's part of the AU specification, this isn't a hack. No hosts have implemented it yet is the issue, so it's great to see AUM leading the way!

• @aplourde said:

@McD said:

@richardyot said:

It's part of the AU specification, this isn't a hack. No hosts have implemented it yet is the issue, so it's great to see AUM leading the way!

Exactly, and for a long time we were in a chicken or egg situation, but FabFilter already implemented the egg. Or the chicken (?).

• @jipumarino said:
    Exactly, and for a long time we were in a chicken or egg situation, but FabFilter already implemented the egg. Or the chicken (?).

This is news to me. I didn't think the AU specs disclosed a standard for multi-channel audio.
    Can you cite a document? If it requires installing Xcode... never mind. I need the storage.

• McDMcD
    edited January 2020

@Carnbot said:
    @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@richardyot said:

But MTS? Really?

Sorry. I tend to reply to comments as I read them and I entered the thread from the Notifications which are displayed in reverse chronological order.

EDIT: That reads like a DAW hack and not a feature of the AUv3 specs about how to do multi-channel I/O which would be needed for FX side-chain. I know
    clever programmers have hacked a solution but they also disclose the experimental nature of their design that Apple could brea in an Update.

• @McD said:

@jipumarino said:

This is news to me. I didn't think the AU specs disclosed a standard for multi-channel audio.
    Can you cite a document? If it requires installing Xcode... never mind. I need the storage.

I think this is it: https://developer.apple.com/documentation/audiotoolbox/auaudiounitbusarray
    An AUAudioUnitBusArray can be initialized with multiple busses, and the number of busses itself can by dynamic. This is the type of object that gets assigned to the inputBusArray and outputBusArray of the AU. I've only made very crude MIDI AUs for myself though, so don't take my word for it. I'm pretty sure @brambos has mentioned multi-channel audio in the past, so maybe he can illuminate this.

• Great stuff!

• edited January 2020

@McD said:

@Carnbot said:
    @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

@richardyot said:

But MTS? Really?

Sorry. I tend to reply to comments as I read them and I entered the thread from the Notifications which are displayed in reverse chronological order.

EDIT: That reads like a DAW hack and not a feature of the AUv3 specs about how to do multi-channel I/O which would be needed for FX side-chain. I know
    clever programmers have hacked a solution but they also disclose the experimental nature of their design that Apple could brea in an Update.

Regardless of what MTS is doing, a number of AU developers have mentioned that AU does support multiple buses, etc but that since no hosts had implemented it, they hadn't either.

• I'm trying to think of an AUv3 that seems to have implemented this. The 4Pockets
    Multi-channel mixer app seems like it might be use a BusArray. I'm out of my league
    in the discussion and will await advice from a real programmer that has cracked
    secrets of AU3v. There are at least a dozen that hang here. They have the scars to prove it.

• @McD said:

I'm trying to think of an AUv3 that seems to have implemented this. The 4Pockets
    Multi-channel mixer app seems like it might be use a BusArray. I'm out of my league
    secrets of AU3v. There are at least a dozen that hang here. They have the scars to prove it.

In the meantime, you could have a glass of milk :D

• @jipumarino said:

@McD said:

I'm trying to think of an AUv3 that seems to have implemented this. The 4Pockets

In the meantime, you could have a glass of milk :D

Not sure I follow.

I'm lactose intolerant. Almond milk OK? Are you prescribing? I do have some sleeping meds.

• @McD said:

@McD: as I said above, until now no host has supported it and as a result no AUv3 developers (with the possible exception of FF) have implemented it.

• The other great use for this would be sending drum pads from eg pulse (or similar) to different buses, so you can add au effects and mix them separately

• @McD said:

@Carnbot said:
    @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

But MTS? Really?

Why does it read like a hack rather than the the official way? You can always ask him in the MTS forum.
    He was first to implement AUv3 so why not first with AU sidechaining as well..he knows what he’s doing I’m sure ;)

• @Carnbot said:

@McD said:

@Carnbot said:
    @McD said:

@Carnbot said:

But MTS? Really?

Why does it read like a hack rather than the the official way? You can always ask him in the MTS forum.
    He was first to implement AUv3 so why not first with AU sidechaining as well..he knows what he’s doing I’m sure ;)

Turns out n-Track 9 Pro also supports AU sidechaining:
    v1.3.4 - Added effects sidechain (works with n-Track Compressor builtin effect and with AU plugins supporting sidechain input, f.e. FabFilter Pro-Q 2
    News to me with both of these apps!

Well, AUM might not be the first, but it's what I use, so I'm really excited it's coming!

• @aplourde said:

It's my most used host as well so am excited it's on the way too! :)
    And yeah it's not important who's first of course, just great that the implementation is made standard across all the hosts eventually.

• So, the beta suddenly dropped with SideChain support.
    For those who are testing it let's collect all the plugins with SC support right away, so once publicly available people know what to experiment with.

• FabFilter Pro-C2
    • ToneBoosters EQ (dyn section)
    • DDMF NYCompressor

I haven't got any of the 4pockets stuff but probably worth checking some of those out as well.

• edited January 2020

@j_liljedahl
    Since multichannel AU becoming a thing, is it enabled only for fx input or throughout the whole signal flow?
    Can we start to lobby for things like multiple outputs where it makes sense (drums, multi timbral instruments) or even dedicated inputs for instruments that can sample (instead of making them available as fx in the future)?