Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cheap and cheerful noisemakers?

Thinking household items, modified kitchenware etc

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Glass and plastic bottles

Put rice or dried pulses in them to make shakers

Chopsticks on the side of woks or sauce pans

Microwaves with a mechanical timer
    or an egg timer come to think of it

Spoons obviously

I once made a kick drum from playing the
    side of a very large empty plastic container

Scrunch paper

Blow raspberries through paper tubes
    makes for unusual horn sounds.

Layering them creates very interesting textures.

• Chopsticks, Big Container and Raspberries added to the list, thanks very much!

I use paper a lot here, a wide sonic range depending on technique.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Chopsticks, Big Container and Raspberries added to the list, thanks very much!

I use paper a lot here, a wide sonic range depending on technique.

Not real raspberries that'll make a right mess. ;)

It's the technique for playing any brass instrument.
    That way any tube becomes a horn instrument.
    I did a couple of tracks years ago by playing copper pipes.

No worries.

Ah yes old school tip.

Hairspray or any aerosol makes for good open hi hat sounds
    Tennis ball against a wall and then detuned are good for kdrums

I've done a couple of kits in BM3 with balloons and tuning them to notes.

Looking forward to everyone else's contributions.

• Toaster and forks a la Haywood Banks

• Couldn’t help posting this one :-)

• Contact mic and a saw

• Stainless steel bowl with a bit of water in it. Hit with a chopstick for weird pitch effects.

• @stuck80s said:
    Contact mic and a saw

Directions unclear. Now I’m missing a finger. :(

• For a Sistrum like instrument.
    -Save your bottle caps (probably make sure they are the kind you need a bottle opener for), then you take them and put them in a fire to burn off the small amount of plastic that is inside them, then you take a hammer and flatten them, poke holes in the center with a nail, string them up on a wire in between a Y shaped stick. There you go.

For a paper mache Rainstick.
    -Grab a wrapping paper tube, several paper towel tubes, or best get a nice sturdy cardboard mailing tube, poke it with some kind of bamboo skewers for shish kabob make sure it goes all the way around like a spiral ladder throughout the tube, cut them flush with the tube, fill it with various things including pieces of the skewers, paper mache it all and there you go. I did this once and it was pretty durable and sounded great.

For some kind of drum.
    -get any kind of ceramic pot, vase, etc. find some goat skins that have been pre-shaved to save some time. I used to get these for maybe 5-15USD depending on the size when I took ceramics classes. Soak your goat skin for a good hour or so, add a little glue to the edge of the vessel to help it (Hide has natural glue but a little extra helps) stretch it over your vessel, secure it by wrapping something tight around it even if it’s just rope, let it dry, remove the rope or whatever if desired, there you go you have a drum.

Paper Mache Shakers work out great

• grab either paper towel tubes cut in half or toilet paper tubes and then fill them with whatever you want and paper mache them up.

Tincan spike fiddles aren’t hard to make either, but I better wrap this post up.

Driftwood Marimbas are great
    -find your drift wood, roll up two beach towels tight, lay the drift wood between them, and bang away.

Simple flutes aren’t hard either you can really plug up a PVC pipe, stick a wine cork in one end, you need the blow hole to split air half in the tube and half out of the tube, once you get the blow hole correct then you tune them one at a time adding each hole from the bottom up.

Plug up your sink pretty full of water, take your various metal kitchen items (bowls, pans, trays, plates, etc) and bang on them as you dip them in and out of the water and it will actually shift the pitch as you do so.

I better stop here.

• Don't stop y'all, great ideas here! :smiley: :+1:

• You can also play live with kitchentools, it seems...

• edited January 2020

I had some fun with some round plastic containers, plastic wrap, loose change, and forks. One time at work someone brought in some dry ice and we threw it in water in a metal pan and I got some cool samples from that as well. Now that I remember that, dry ice could be an exciting and dangerous experiment that I might explore more soon

• Great suggestions, thanks very much all!

• I used to use an empty Pringles tube with the plastic lid as bongos.