Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommended Lightning Headphone Adapter?

Upgraded my failing iPhone SE to an iPhone 7 plus.

Been looking for a headphone adapter that also has the charge port.

The one I bought evidently doesn't support mic in. It's also doesn't sound great and it seems to confuse the iPhone, ie. takes a picture when I plug it in, or confuses the home button, etc.

Sending it back.

Reading reviews on Amazon and it seems like the majority of them have problems. I'd just buy the Apple one, but it doesn't do charging.

Has anyone found a good one that supports charging, mic in, sounds decent, and appears to be made well? The one I bought looks like it'd fall apart the 3rd time you dropped it. ;)

Comments

• edited January 2020

I use a bellkin on my 7plus. It has 2 lightening ports and charges fine on one and I use the lightening to Headphone jack. It was $34 from Best buy. Not sure if this is exactly it but it looks just like mine. Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXFKSNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hxOhEbYPNYQ6J

• edited January 2020

@cuezaireekaa said:
    I use a bellkin on my 7plus. It has 2 lightening ports and charges fine on one and I use the lightening to Headphone jack. It was $34 from Best buy. Not sure if this is exactly it but it looks just like mine. Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge Rockstar, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXFKSNA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_hxOhEbYPNYQ6J

I was afraid of that. Was hoping to find a cheapo one that worked.

I’ve gotten lucky with them before. Hit and miss. Might gamble on one more cheap knockoff before I cave and get the Belkin. Thx

• Good luck. Fwiw the Belkin has been Rock solid for years for me on my iPhone. I use the cck3 on my iPad

• edited January 2020

@cuezaireekaa said:
    Good luck. Fwiw the Belkin has been Rock solid for years for me on my iPhone. I use the cck3 on my iPad

Yeah, it looks like the belkin is the safest bet. I just hate buying a $40+ dongle that’s lightning when Apple is already transitioning to usb-c

I’ll probably just get the plain Apple one that’s $9 and not bother with having the charge port

• I just went from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8. I just got the standard apple one as it was inexpensive, but the iPhone 8 has wireless charging and I have a portable battery pack with solar panel that has wireless charging as well. It’s also as big as the phone so it works out pretty well.

I’m still trying to figure out what is a decent way to make music on the phone though. I just cannot deal with this screen size and most UIs are more than troubling to use.

You can also use a CCK the one with lightning charging and this hub. Though the mic and headphone are separate they are both there. The hub can also be powered by microUSB, which is helpful. https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Adapter-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B01HPMHOY0/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Green+usb+hub+with+headphone&qid=1579065949&sr=8-5

• @DMan said:
    I just went from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8. I just got the standard apple one as it was inexpensive, but the iPhone 8 has wireless charging and I have a portable battery pack with solar panel that has wireless charging as well. It’s also as big as the phone so it works out pretty well.

I’m still trying to figure out what is a decent way to make music on the phone though. I just cannot deal with this screen size and most UIs are more than troubling to use.

You can also use a CCK the one with lightning charging and this hub. Though the mic and headphone are separate they are both there. The hub can also be powered by microUSB, which is helpful. https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Adapter-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B01HPMHOY0/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=Green+usb+hub+with+headphone&qid=1579065949&sr=8-5

That’s cool, but I’ve already got a powered usb hub. I like that this one can be powered via micro usb though.

This has given me an alternate idea. I wonder if could just plug one of those small USB adapters that have a mic/headphone port into my lightning to usb adapter instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?keywords=usb+headphone+adapter+mic&qid=1579068354&sr=8-15

• @skiphunt said:

@DMan said:
    I just went from iPhone 6 to iPhone 8. I just got the standard apple one as it was inexpensive, but the iPhone 8 has wireless charging and I have a portable battery pack with solar panel that has wireless charging as well. It’s also as big as the phone so it works out pretty well.

That’s cool, but I’ve already got a powered usb hub. I like that this one can be powered via micro usb though.

This has given me an alternate idea. I wonder if could just plug one of those small USB adapters that have a mic/headphone port into my lightning to usb adapter instead?

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Headphone-Microphone-Aluminum-Compatible/dp/B00NMXY2MO/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?keywords=usb+headphone+adapter+mic&qid=1579068354&sr=8-15

Assuming it won’t need extra power I would say that should likely work for you. I doubt that it would need more power.

I was on the edge of buying that hub I posted for about a year and finally got it. While I don’t actually need to use it often it’s pretty handy if you need a powered hub on the go with headphone jack and mono mic in.

• edited January 2020

@DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

@DMan said:

Assuming it won’t need extra power I would say that should likely work for you. I doubt that it would need more power.

I was on the edge of buying that hub I posted for about a year and finally got it. While I don’t actually need to use it often it’s pretty handy if you need a powered hub on the go with headphone jack and mono mic in.

I added that hub to my list. If it can provide power to the hub from a usb battery instead of wall current, that means I could use my Sandisk Extreme Pro portable SSD with it. Currently I can only use it on the iPad if it’s plugged into a powered hub. The mic & headphone ports are just icing on the cake. Thanks for the recommendation!

I have an old usb mic/headphone adapter that came with something else and I’ve never used. It works.

Audio via the usb headphone adaptor on my iPad actually sounds a little better/cleaner than it does via the iPad headphone jack!

I need a TRRS port though, so I’ll pick up a little usb headphone/mic adapter that’s TRRS

• @DMan hey, I’m curious about that little hub you recommended. I’ve got a little portable ssd drive I mentioned. When I hook it up to the iPad or iPhone via lightning USB connector, it won’t work. It only works if I connect it to a little USB hub that I have that plugs into the wall.

If I used this usb hub you’re recommending with a portable usb battery connected to it, does it provide powered usb connections? Or, does the battery power just pass-thru to charge things connnected to the hub only?

In short, if my portable ssd works on the ipad via usb connection while using a wall-powered usb hub, would it also work using this hub you have with a usb battery connected to it?

• @skiphunt said:
    @DMan hey, I’m curious about that little hub you recommended. I’ve got a little portable ssd drive I mentioned. When I hook it up to the iPad or iPhone via lightning USB connector, it won’t work. It only works if I connect it to a little USB hub that I have that plugs into the wall.

If I used this usb hub you’re recommending with a portable usb battery connected to it, does it provide powered usb connections? Or, does the battery power just pass-thru to charge things connnected to the hub only?

In short, if my portable ssd works on the ipad via usb connection while using a wall-powered usb hub, would it also work using this hub you have with a usb battery connected to it?

So, I don’t have an SSD to try it with but I have standard USB Thumb drives that the CCK cannot provide enough power for and if I power the hub with a USB battery pack to the micro USB it connects fine. I just tried it with my “My Passport” and that is just an HD and it is also encrypted so it’s not being seen by the files app. The hub is providing it power though and the drive is spinning. Even with a 3amp wall powered hub and the drive not being encrypted that drive would only show up and as soon as I selected it I disconnected. HDs just don’t work well on iOS.

I don’t have many devices that rely 100% on bus power with me now, but I connected a Launchcontrol, Launchcontrol XL, and a USB thumb drive into the hub powered on a battery pack and it was able to power all while connected to my iPhone 8. With just the two Launchcontrols in the hub they were powering off/on repeatedly and never connecting. I know I tried it with my axiom 61 after getting it and it was powering that as well just through bus power.

So, maybe it will work with an SSD, I would like to think that it will, but I have no way of verifying.

• @DMan said:

@skiphunt said:
    @DMan hey, I’m curious about that little hub you recommended. I’ve got a little portable ssd drive I mentioned. When I hook it up to the iPad or iPhone via lightning USB connector, it won’t work. It only works if I connect it to a little USB hub that I have that plugs into the wall.

So, I don’t have an SSD to try it with but I have standard USB Thumb drives that the CCK cannot provide enough power for and if I power the hub with a USB battery pack to the micro USB it connects fine. I just tried it with my “My Passport” and that is just an HD and it is also encrypted so it’s not being seen by the files app. The hub is providing it power though and the drive is spinning. Even with a 3amp wall powered hub and the drive not being encrypted that drive would only show up and as soon as I selected it I disconnected. HDs just don’t work well on iOS.

I don’t have many devices that rely 100% on bus power with me now, but I connected a Launchcontrol, Launchcontrol XL, and a USB thumb drive into the hub powered on a battery pack and it was able to power all while connected to my iPhone 8. With just the two Launchcontrols in the hub they were powering off/on repeatedly and never connecting. I know I tried it with my axiom 61 after getting it and it was powering that as well just through bus power.

So, maybe it will work with an SSD, I would like to think that it will, but I have no way of verifying.

Thanks. I bet it will work. The one I have is pretty old. It's not even available any more. I'm not even sure when or why I originally bought it, but I was able to look it up and it only supports USB2.0. The one you have supports USB3.0. It's also a pain that I have to connect it to a wall for power.

It's just that I've returned a few items recently to Amazon so I was hoping to not have to again so soon. I think I'll take a gamble that it works. Otherwise... the little Sandisk Extreme Pro portable SSD that I got specifically to use for iOS... will go unused if I have to rely on wall power all the time.

Thanks for the feedback!

• edited January 2020

This isn’t able to simultaneously charge, but I believe this to be at least slightly better than the Apple headphones to lightning adaptor (which actually is quite substandard compared with plugging the same headphones into a 3.5mm jack on the same device, in the case of my iPad Pro).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/352858300045

It’s the UGREEN adaptor. Slightly more expensive than the Apple one, and stiffer. It makes and takes calls in the normal way, too. (As mentioned in a thread here https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35796/lightning-adaptor-phones-of-head-for-the-use-of-quality-discussion#latest )

• edited January 2020

@u0421793 said:
    This isn’t able to simultaneously charge, but I believe this to be at least slightly better than the Apple headphones to lightning adaptor (which actually is quite substandard compared with plugging the same headphones into a 3.5mm jack on the same device, in the case of my iPad Pro).

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/352858300045

It’s the UGREEN adaptor. Slightly more expensive than the Apple one, and stiffer. It makes and takes calls in the normal way, too. (As mentioned in a thread here https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35796/lightning-adaptor-phones-of-head-for-the-use-of-quality-discussion#latest )

I have a couple of UGREEN cables/adaptors and have had good luck with them. I ordered the UGREEN usb hub referenced in this thread, only I went with the slightly cheaper one that doesn't have the headphone/mic input.

I'll likely get just a simple adapter for when I just want to use headphones. Does the UGREEN sound any better than the Apple one? never mind, just read your other post

• @DMan said:

@skiphunt said:

Hey, just to follow up...

I got a UGREEN usb hub similar to the one you'd recommended. I decided I didn't really need the extra mic/headphone jacks on the hub since I was getting a USB TRRS headphone/mic adaptor anyway.

The one I got is essentially the same UGREEN hub without the mic/headphone jacks but also can be powered via micro usb. It was only $10 when I bought it but it's since gone up a little.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MGL1VW1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It WORKS! I'm now able to remotely power my Sandisk Extreme Pro portable SSD drive. It seems pretty fast too. And if I'm editing video using the UGREEN hub, the USB TRRS headphone/mic adaptor works in the hub as well.

Thanks for turning me on to the UGREEN hub. :)

• Just curious if in Sept 2021 anyone has a preferred lightning headphone adapter that allows charging. The ones one Amazon have a weird mix if high rating with a fair number of terrible reviews.

I am looking for one that has a 1/8" headphone jack and lightning charging port.

• edited September 2021

@espiegel123 said:
    Just curious if in Sept 2021 anyone has a preferred lightning headphone adapter that allows charging. The ones one Amazon have a weird mix if high rating with a fair number of terrible reviews.

I am looking for one that has a 1/8" headphone jack and lightning charging port.

I would personally go for the official Apple camera adapter and then just plug a USB DAC into it, that is going to be the most reliable and high-quality option. I use a Dragonfly Red, but a cheaper DAC such as the Sharkoon gaming DAC should also work just fine. You can then charge through the available Lightning port on the CCK.

Official Apple CCK

Sharkoon Gaming DAC

• Belkin adapter or apple adapter

• I started looking into this in case I wanted to abandon my 6s in favour of XS but the latter’s weight is holding me back. My motivation is a civilian use in my car btw, not for music production.

With that in mind maybe cck3 + behringer uca 202 is the best quality/price option albeit not the best looking.