Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Keystep Pro

(posted in a beat step pro thread but thought it might be worthy of its own thread for those interested in it?)

Looks like a keystep pro is on its way...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-and-electronic-music-production/1294553-arturia-keystep-pro.html

It's quite cool sequencing with a hardware sequencer like this, as it's tactile and can be jammed with (changing step length, direction, etc with real buttons) in real time. I think this would also make a cool hybrid setup with an iPad as multi-timbral sound source.

All you need is one of these, an iPad + AUM, a few iOS synths and a pot plant and you're good to go making youtube live jam videos. :lol:

Careful though, before you know it you could have more Eurorack than you shake a pot plant at.

Comments

• It looks great. Connections?

• I'd be all over this if it had full sized keys.

yeah, I know. I know...

• @Faland said:
    It looks great. Connections?

• Yesyesyesyes! Those Keystep keys are great!

• Yeah, I'm excited about this. My Keystep is my only microkey keyboard I can tolerate, and it's a convenient size to have handy on my desk. I was considering a BSP to go with it, but this will work better for me and adds a bit more key range to boot.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Faland said:
    It looks great. Connections?

😍

• Wow, that's huge in size and kind of meh visually. I was hoping for something more compact. Launchpad Pro is more appealing but I just got an X. 🧐

• No Mod and Pitch wheels?? Kinda suprised

• @hibjshop said:
    No Mod and Pitch wheels?? Kinda suprised

It has ribbon controllers like the Key Step.

• @hibjshop said:

Those strips are not bad, you can do things with them that are impossible with wheels, like tapping on them for example, to jump to positions instantly.

• True, different strokes different folks. Touch strips feel the same as the ipad screen to me. Wheels have a different feel and the experience is nice to have available.

@rs2000 said:

@hibjshop said:

Those strips are not bad, you can do things with them that are impossible with wheels, like tapping on them for example, to jump to positions instantly.

• edited January 2020

5 infinite knobs. Mmmm...guess keystep 1 had none so that's an improvement. Still, this thing looks big!

Are those full size keys?

• I’m assuming they will make a black one too.... after everybody buys the albino

• @supadom said:
    5 infinite knobs. Mmmm...guess keystep 1 had none so that's an improvement. Still, this thing looks big!

Are those full size keys?

These look exactly like the current Keystep keys, I guess they're the same (and I would appreciate that).
    But yes, it's quite deep, maybe too deep for my taste. And too expensive.
    It's going to be the Wavestate then ;)

• edited January 2020

I have a novation sl mkiii, but I'm still drawn to the idea of a keystep pro, especially if it's usb powered. It could be great for a more portable setup. And I hope the price comes down to $299. It's a little too expensive at $399.

Edit: I just saw that this thing comes with a built in metronome. That's a great addition for playing in sequences live.

• I need full size keys so no key step for me, I was really hoping the pro would be full size

• This thing looks really cool and I love my Keystep, but it does seem a bit expensive.

It's basically a Keystep with the Beatstep Pro sequencers (+1 track), but costs more than both together and you miss the other features of the Beatstep Pro (velocity sensitive pads, lots of assignable knobs).

Wish it was either as small as an OG Keystep, or else used the extra space to have a set of assignable knobs in the top right.

Might still be interested some day if the price comes down.

• About time a gadget like this comes with built-in ipad connectivity - or at least BT ... quaint.

• Like whoa. :drool:

• @walkie said:
    This thing looks really cool and I love my Keystep, but it does seem a bit expensive.

I guess they're testing the waters with the announced price. They can still reduce the price if enough people find it too expensive.

It's basically a Keystep with the Beatstep Pro sequencers (+1 track), but costs more than both together and you miss the other features of the Beatstep Pro (velocity sensitive pads, lots of assignable knobs).

Wish it was either as small as an OG Keystep, or else used the extra space to have a set of assignable knobs in the top right.

That's exactly what I did with my old Keystep (except the LED rings but they aren't supported in iPad apps anyway) and I guess I'll better keep it.

Might still be interested some day if the price comes down.

I was excited at first but thinking about composing on the Keystep Pro and then having to transfer track by track to the DAW of choice is probably not the most fluid workflow.
    Their older Spark LE controller was cool: Full integration with an iPad app (iSpark).

I think the targeted main audience are users with modular systems. CV outs are great for them, and I bet they can also be used for polyphonic playing if they have a polyphonic modular.

• edited January 2020

@walkie said:
    This thing looks really cool and I love my Keystep, but it does seem a bit expensive.

One big change from the BSP sequencers is that they're all 16-note polyphonic tracks. And each has the KS' arpeggiators. Also probability for each note. Also two more sets of CV/Gate/Mod outputs. Also two MIDI outs. And the MIDI connections are proper 5pin din connectors. And a metronome speaker along with an output. And an OLED display. And...

Their site says you can automate the CCs of the 5 knobs. Not sure what that means exactly. Also says 'polyphonic CV output'. Not sure what that means either. Is that actually a thing?

I feel like it might be priced a little high for me too but seems pretty fair given the connectivity. And I think its connectivity might be a bit of a nod to their target audience: modular users. For those who have already taken out a second loan on their house to buy modules, $400 is a pretty screaming deal given the features and connectivity.

https://www.arturia.com/products/hybrid-synths/keystep-pro/overview

(Actually says $449/399€ on their site but other places are saying $399. :neutral: )

• Dedicated copy, paste, erase and save buttons are also a welcome addition. All of those blue labeled functions under the 16 step keys for things like nudge, clear and transpose are too.

I do like being able to nudge or adjust the gate/velocity of all steps at once on the BSP my switching the knob modes but for step editing a sequence, the KSP's setup may be more functional/easy to use in that there are dedicated encoders for each and the encoders will presumably give you the current value of the step no matter which sequencer page you're on (a problem on the BSP).

• Sorry, geeking out on this thing. If you're not in it for the CV connectivity I think the question for sequencer lusters (me) is how does this stack up as compared to something like the Squarp Pyramid at $250 more or the Pioneer Squid at $150 more? Certainly not all that well with regard to pure sequencing power/features but maybe pretty well for 'performance sequencing'? I dunno.

• True, for modular folks it's a bargain considering the price sequencer modules go for!

• edited January 2020

With Gaz at NAMM 2020!
    Best watched with playback speed at 0.75 ;)

• so does anyone know if you can integrate this with iOS apps? I thought it was mentioned it’s class compliant but not an expert on these things..

• With the old BSP, it is dead easy to play your iOS instruments over plain midi or usb connection. I don’t see any reason why the KSP will be different.

Class compliant means, there is no driver required for audio interfaces. Though, unless I missed something, the KSP is not an audio interface.

• @MarcelX said:
    With the old BSP, it is dead easy to play your iOS instruments over plain midi or usb connection. I don’t see any reason why the KSP will be different.

Class compliant means, there is no driver required for audio interfaces. Though, unless I missed something, the KSP is not an audio interface.

iOS/Mac/windows have many different types of class drivers such as MIDi/audio/video/mass storage etc.

It’s not just for audio.

• OP +1
    Since I started messing around with iPad apps for music making, I’ve been looking for something like this because I’m into jamming, looping and other aspects of live creation. I had to sell my Virus TI2 recently to save up some money but this one def had to be preordered as soon as I stumbled upon it to ease the pain and hopefully take another step towards the dream rig. :*