Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria Pro vs Cubasis 3 - feature wise.

Now that the third installment of the great DAW from Steinberg is out, can we say we have a new king in the DAW throne? What Auria Pro has that Cub3 still don’t? And the other way around?

No app bashing, please - just want to make some informed decisions, since Auria Pro hasn’t seen an update for a while.

Comments

• Cubasis 3 is a big step forward, and I think that the much greater pace of development from Steinberg means that it will most likely overtake Auria completely in the next couple of years (and I say this as an enthusiastic Auria user).

There are a few features that Auria has which Cubasis 3 hasn't matched yet: full channel sends and much greater routing flexibility mainly, and the ability to sidechain the native plugins at least, as well as many non-destructive MIDI features such as humanize, quantize, non-destructive swing and groove templates. I think the audio editing is also still much better in Auria.

But on the other hand Cubasis is considered to be much better at handling AUv3 MIDI plugins (although by all accounts v3 is not quite as good as the previous version at this point in time), has MPE MIDI support, and the new mixer interface looks really good.

If Steinberg can fix the bugs in v3, and also fix the feature parity discrepancies with v2 (some AUV3 no longer working) then they should deservedly take the crown. Unless Auria has some major updates it's likely to start falling behind in the next few years.

Once Nanostudio 2 gets audio tracks, hopefully sometime this year, then things will get pretty interesting.

Personally I'm still sticking to Auria for my final mixes, just because it's so damn good at that anyway and I have an effective (and comfortable) workflow with it, but I may reassess in a year or two once things settle down. Cubasis 3 is not stable enough for real projects yet anyway, but it will be eventually.

• I think this thread would be better in six months to a year from now when Cubasis 3 has significant kinks/bugs worked out.

• schsch
    edited January 2020

CB3 looks interesting, but still far behind what AP can do... just look at the depth of control with AP, eg, the MIDI Process options etc. And as @richardyot pointed out above, the level and power of the bussing / send systems is truly desktop level.

I'm really hoping that Rim @WaveMachineLabs, can give us a meaningful update soon. I'd like to get the piano roll editing more accurate and fast, get the AU interface more usable and maybe even a few new features or GUI improvements.

That said, I am also eagerly awaiting the NS2 update to full audio tracks and whatever Matt can add in/update when it releases. Nothing tops the piano roll UI in NS2. I have to say I like the bussing structure, especially the way it's presented in the UI. So flexible but graphically so easily understood.

• @richardyot said:
    Cubasis 3 is a big step forward, and I think that the much greater pace of development from Steinberg means that it will most likely overtake Auria completely in the next couple of years (and I say this as an enthusiastic Auria user).

There are a few features that Auria has which Cubasis 3 hasn't matched yet: full channel sends and much greater routing flexibility mainly, and the ability to sidechain the native plugins at least, as well as many non-destructive MIDI features such as humanize, quantize, non-destructive swing and groove templates. I think the audio editing is also still much better in Auria.

But on the other hand Cubasis is considered to be much better at handling AUv3 MIDI plugins (although by all accounts v3 is not quite as good as the previous version at this point in time), has MPE MIDI support, and the new mixer interface looks really good.

If Steinberg can fix the bugs in v3, and also fix the feature parity discrepancies with v2 (some AUV3 no longer working) then they should deservedly take the crown. Unless Auria has some major updates it's likely to start falling behind in the next few years.

Once Nanostudio 2 gets audio tracks, hopefully sometime this year, then things will get pretty interesting.

Personally I'm still sticking to Auria for my final mixes, just because it's so damn good at that anyway and I have an effective (and comfortable) workflow with it, but I may reassess in a year or two once things settle down. Cubasis 3 is not stable enough for real projects yet anyway, but it will be eventually.

What AUV3 no longer work in V2?

• I would love an Auria Pro update with no new features but a big lump of UI/UX polishing.

And bug fixes.

• @cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:
    Cubasis 3 is a big step forward, and I think that the much greater pace of development from Steinberg means that it will most likely overtake Auria completely in the next couple of years (and I say this as an enthusiastic Auria user).

Check this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36307/cubasis-3-bugs-on-topic/p1

• @richardyot said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

Check this thread:

Thanks .. but I asked what AUV3 no longer work in V2? That link is the V3 bugs thread.

• edited January 2020

@sch said:
    CB3 looks interesting, but still far behind what AP can do... just look at the depth of control with AP, eg, the MIDI Process options etc. And as @richardyot pointed out above, the level and power of the bussing / send systems is truly desktop level.

I'm really hoping that Rim @WaveMachineLabs, can give us a meaningful update soon. I'd like to get the piano roll editing more accurate and fast, get the AU interface more usable and maybe even a few new features or GUI improvements.

That said, I am also eagerly awaiting the NS2 update to full audio tracks and whatever Matt can add in/update when it releases. Nothing tops the piano roll UI in NS2. I have to say I like the bussing structure, especially the way it's presented in the UI. So flexible but graphically so easily understood.

I was really impressed and excited with the NS2 bussing... coupled with the track lanes (imagining forthcoming audio tracks having this 'stacking' too (extra yum points)).

Yah for me the real comparison / race is for the future of fixed Cubasis v3+ vs NS2 with audio tracks. My gut thinks both may land around the same time. No source, all gut.

• @cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

Check this thread:

Thanks .. but I asked what AUV3 no longer work in V2? That link is the V3 bugs thread.

@richardyot never said that. He was talking about V3 bugs which broke compatibility to some AUV3s. Compared to V2. Hence feature parity discrepancies in V3.

• @llamaki said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

Check this thread:

@richardyot never said that. He was talking about V3 bugs which broke compatibility to some AUV3s. Compared to V2. Hence feature parity discrepancies in V3.

Yes that’s right, maybe it was poorly worded but that’s exactly what I was trying to say.

• @llamaki said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

@cloudswimmer said:

@richardyot said:

Check this thread:

I was asking about V2 bugs because this quote “and also fix the feature parity discrepancies with V2 (some AUV3 no longer working)” sounds to me like saying something needs to be fixed with V2, so are there or are there not some AUV3’s that now no longer work in the Cubasis Version 2.8.2 update .. and if so which ones?

• @cloudswimmer said:
    I was asking about V2 bugs because this quote “and also fix the feature parity discrepancies with V2 (some AUV3 no longer working)” sounds to me like saying something needs to be fixed with V2, so are there or are there not some AUV3’s that now no longer work in the Cubasis Version 2.8.2 update .. and if so which ones?

No, what I meant was that there were discrepancies between v2 and v3, with some AUv3s no longer working in v3.

• Auria vs Cubasis 3? Can Auria loop a bar while accepting continuous midi overdub notes on a track? Last I checked, this was still an issue.

Maybe it’s my ignorance, but that is a glaring omission on Auria’s part.

• @richardyot said:

@cloudswimmer said:

No, what I meant was that there were discrepancies between v2 and v3, with some AUv3s no longer working in v3.

Ahh ok whew! As long as those AUV3’s still work in V2 I’m relieved. Cubasis 2 is my bread and butter and only DAW since I was forced to tear down my computer DAW studio last summer, I can live with V3 and it’s bugs knowing Steinberg is working on it, but if Cubasis 2 doesn’t work I’m sunk 😳 Thanks Richard .. I feel a lot better now 🙏

• Auria Is the ProTools of iOS. Cubasis is the Cubase of iOS. Pick your poison

• edited January 2020

@audiobussy said:
    Auria Is the ProTools of iOS. Cubasis is the Cubase of iOS. Pick your poison

And GB is the GarageBand (Mac) of iOS :smile:

We can continue our iOS work from Cubasis and GarageBand on to their desktop counterparts. Even Gadget has it desktop counterpart.

But Auria has no desktop counterpart (not using the stem approach).

• @osc101 said:
    Auria vs Cubasis 3? Can Auria loop a bar while accepting continuous midi overdub notes on a track? Last I checked, this was still an issue.

Unfortunately, loop recording is still not possible. Probably a good idea for folks to email or post on the Auria Pro bulletin board about the desire for loop recording.

• @espiegel123 said:

@osc101 said:
    Auria vs Cubasis 3? Can Auria loop a bar while accepting continuous midi overdub notes on a track? Last I checked, this was still an issue.

Unfortunately, loop recording is still not possible. Probably a good idea for folks to email or post on the Auria Pro bulletin board about the desire for loop recording.

I don't think loop recording will ever be added to Auria - Rim has said in the past that it would require a major architecture change to implement it, and that it wasn't likely to happen.

• @richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@osc101 said:

I don't think loop recording will ever be added to Auria - Rim has said in the past that it would require a major architecture change to implement it, and that it wasn't likely to happen.

That’s a pretty big feature to have and anyone considering buying Auria should be warned of this well in advance.

• @osc101 said:

@richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@osc101 said:

That’s a pretty big feature to have and anyone considering buying Auria should be warned of this well in advance.

It caught me out.

• I think it's down to the fact that Auria was first engineered to run on an iPad 2, so the audio is streamed from disk (which is why it could run 48 tracks in 2012). Being able to loop record would require a major change in the audio architecture of the app, so it's unlikely to ever happen.

• @richardyot said:
    If Steinberg can fix the bugs in v3, and also fix the feature parity discrepancies with v2 (some AUV3 no longer working) then they should deservedly take the crown. Unless Auria has some major updates it's likely to start falling behind in the next few

Hi @richardyot, Hi all,

If you experience AU, IAA and/or Audiobus issues, please provide us with step descriptions in the Cubasis 3 bugs topic.

The first maintenance update is already in preparation, and we want to make sure having the most important topics included/addressed.

Thank you for your help!

Best,
    Lars

• @richardyot said:
    I think it's down to the fact that Auria was first engineered to run on an iPad 2, so the audio is streamed from disk (which is why it could run 48 tracks in 2012). Being able to loop record would require a major change in the audio architecture of the app, so it's unlikely to ever happen.

Where there is a will, there's a way. It probably isn't simply a byproduct of streaming from disk (which pretty much any serious DAW probably does). It may be an indication that AP doesn't generate enough income for RIM to feel like he would recoup his time investment in updating his framework.

I don't doubt that it would be a lot of work, but in my opinion, it is one of those features that probably makes a difference in the long-term viability.

It makes me wonder if he has lost enthusiasm for the platform. It is still my go to app, but I find myself spending a lot more time working out workarounds than I'd like.

• @espiegel123

+1

I hear you.
    Currently the bugs out way
    the benefits of using Auria Pro.

Saying that when using AP for
    mixing it has no comparison
    it has no comparison and it’s the
    only one that does warp editing
    much needed when working
    on bigger productions.

There have been murmurs on
    the AP forum so I think we may
    simply need to be patient.

• @Gravitas said:
    @espiegel123

+1

I hear you.
    Currently the bugs out way
    the benefits of using Auria Pro.

Saying that when using AP for
    mixing it has no comparison
    it has no comparison and it’s the
    only one that does warp editing
    much needed when working
    on bigger productions.

There have been murmurs on
    the AP forum so I think we may
    simply need to be patient.

Rumumurs? Auria Ultra Pro HD?

• iWatch version I think.

• edited January 2020

There are no rumors, Rim has publicly announced that he is working on an update. The only unknown thing at the moment is the content of the update.

• Regarding the OP topic, I still prefer Auria Pro for mixing since the audio editing capabilities are well ahead of Cubasis 2/3 and comparable to desktop DAWs. Additionally, all the “new” features of Cubasis 3 have already been present in Auria Pro since many years ago.
    As there’s no indication from Steinberg of being working on improving audio editing capabilities, I believe Auria Pro -if timely updates are released- will remain a better option... for now.
    But as Auria Pro development -except maintenance updates- has also stopped some years ago, in the mid/long term the situation is very clear, Cubasis will prevail, and with a growing and strong users base.

I still believe it is possible to “save” Auria Pro and even add a number of innovative features that would put pressure on other DAWs to improve, but as already mentioned, it seems that unfortunately AP doesn’t provide enough revenue for Rim to devote more time for new features.

• @Rodolfo said:
    Regarding the OP topic, I still prefer Auria Pro for mixing since the audio editing capabilities are well ahead of Cubasis 2/3 and comparable to desktop DAWs. Additionally, all the “new” features of Cubasis 3 have already been present in Auria Pro since many years ago.
    As there’s no indication from Steinberg of being working on improving audio editing capabilities, I believe Auria Pro -if timely updates are released- will remain a better option... for now.
    But as Auria Pro development -except maintenance updates- has also stopped some years ago, in the mid/long term the situation is very clear, Cubasis will prevail, and with a growing and strong users base.

I still believe it is possible to “save” Auria Pro and even add a number of innovative features that would put pressure on other DAWs to improve, but as already mentioned, it seems that unfortunately AP doesn’t provide enough revenue for Rim to devote more time for new features.

Fair.