Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS / iPadOS 13 help

Hello. I've signed up here because you lot seem like the best people to ask about issues I'm having with audio apps on iPadOS 13 (9.7" iPad Pro). Ever since I upgraded, Cubasis 2 has been pretty terrible, I bought Cubasis 3 to see if that fixed anything but that's essentially unusable. Out of frustration I bought BeatMaker 3, AUM, NanoStudio 2 and Auria Pro and I'm getting similar issues across all of them to one degree or another.

NanoStudio 2 is mostly OK, but if I open an AUv3 instrument inside NanoStudio everything slows down, crackles and pops. BeatMaker 3 I've found I can push pretty hard before I start getting problems, but once I have pushed it hard I can't seem to recover my project - fx timings slip during export and AU instruments crash. Cubasis 3 is just laughable, here's a demo of how it handles 2 midi tracks and one AU effect:

Now, the reason I'm here with questions, is that I've seen people posting videos on YouTube with multiple tracks and fx running happily inside Cubasis 3 and I'm starting to wonder if there's just something up with my iPad. There's people on here mentioning that they're running CB3 on an iPhone 6s and it's fine, yet my recently top of the line iPad is incapable of playing back even the most basic of projects.

I do have quite a lot of AUv3 instruments and effects installed on the iPad and I wonder if the sheer number of them is problematic even if they're not getting used in a project. Or maybe there's one rogue one. I have no idea and I'm really hoping someone here might.

Thanks!

Comments

• @drcongo said:
    Hello. I've signed up here because you lot seem like the best people to ask about issues I'm having with audio apps on iPadOS 13 (9.7" iPad Pro). Ever since I upgraded, Cubasis 2 has been pretty terrible, I bought Cubasis 3 to see if that fixed anything but that's essentially unusable. Out of frustration I bought BeatMaker 3, AUM, NanoStudio 2 and Auria Pro and I'm getting similar issues across all of them to one degree or another.

NanoStudio 2 is mostly OK, but if I open an AUv3 instrument inside NanoStudio everything slows down, crackles and pops. BeatMaker 3 I've found I can push pretty hard before I start getting problems, but once I have pushed it hard I can't seem to recover my project - fx timings slip during export and AU instruments crash. Cubasis 3 is just laughable, here's a demo of how it handles 2 midi tracks and one AU effect:

Now, the reason I'm here with questions, is that I've seen people posting videos on YouTube with multiple tracks and fx running happily inside Cubasis 3 and I'm starting to wonder if there's just something up with my iPad. There's people on here mentioning that they're running CB3 on an iPhone 6s and it's fine, yet my recently top of the line iPad is incapable of playing back even the most basic of projects.

I do have quite a lot of AUv3 instruments and effects installed on the iPad and I wonder if the sheer number of them is problematic even if they're not getting used in a project. Or maybe there's one rogue one. I have no idea and I'm really hoping someone here might.

Thanks!

Hi Dr. Congo, are there any effects loaded in your YouTube example? Are you using the latest IOS 13.3? Does your iPad Pro have 2gb or 4gb of ram? Have you tried raising the latency in Cubasis 3 settings? Yeah somethings not right here.

• Hello @cloudswimmer - There's just the PumpHouse fx plugin in the YT video, and it's not actually even doing anything. Latest iOS 13.3, I think the 9.7" pro has 2GB RAM. I've tried the latency settings in CB3 but got no difference.

• @drcongo said:
    Hello @cloudswimmer - There's just the PumpHouse fx plugin in the YT video, and it's not actually even doing anything. Latest iOS 13.3, I think the 9.7" pro has 2GB RAM. I've tried the latency settings in CB3 but got no difference.

So if I hear you right the problems all started when you upgraded to IOS 13?

• I think so @cloudswimmer, but it could just as easily have been an AUv3 plugin or instrument purchase around the same time. I also can't say for sure for any of the DAWs except Cubasis 2, as the others were all purchased out of frustration after this started happening.

• @drcongo said:
    I think so @cloudswimmer, but it could just as easily have been an AUv3 plugin or instrument purchase around the same time. I also can't say for sure for any of the DAWs except Cubasis 2, as the others were all purchased out of frustration after this started happening.

Cubasis 3 has performance issues even for me on my 2nd generation 12.9” iPad Pro .. but it’s still useable if I don’t over do the effects and set the latency to max (slowest). For reference .. below is a project I’m working on in Cubasis 3 on my old 1st generation iPad Pro 12.9 with IOS 13.3 that has 4 AUV3 effects in total. The only difference between your machine and mine is I have 4gb ram. I literally have every AUV3 instrument and FX ever made on that machine (apaholic here .. your a doctor .. can you help 😉), but seriously it sounds like there is a problem with your machine getting along with IOS 13, just having an unused effect sitting on the drive isn’t going to effect performance. You could try rebuilding the machine from the ground up and start with just installing Cubasis 2 and see how the performance goes, but I’d wait to get some input from others before doing anything that drastic.

• tjatja
    edited January 2020

Lots of people have massive problems with both the last Cubasis 2 update and Cubasis 3:

Cubasis 3:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36307/cubasis-3-bugs-on-topic

Cubasis 2:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36274/cubasis-2-8-2-cubasis-le-2-8-2-available

And in this, i think problems for both were discussed:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36275/cubasis-3-for-iphone-and-ipad-available

Luckily, i only updated Cubasis 2 on one device, but sadly on my trusted, still best, iPad Pro 9.7 with iOS 12.4

My other devices run iOS / iPadOS 13.3 and are a problem in themselves, but i try to not forget to skip updating Cubasis 2!

Cubasis 3 would sure get no money from me, at least for some major time until everything is fixed.

Maybe summoning @LFS may help, or better, you make a write up of your problems in the respective bug threads.

Cannot see many problems with nanostudio 2!

BUT, it may have problems with some non-standard AUs, so you may just try some different AU when you run into problems.
    The App itself is rock stable and has no real issues.

• edited January 2020

@tja said:
    Lots of people have massive problems with both the last Cubasis 2 update and Cubasis 3:

Cubasis 3:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36307/cubasis-3-bugs-on-topic

Cubasis 2:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36274/cubasis-2-8-2-cubasis-le-2-8-2-available

And in this, i think problems for both were discussed:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/36275/cubasis-3-for-iphone-and-ipad-available

Luckily, i only updated Cubasis 2 on one device, but sadly on my trusted, still best, iPad Pro 9.7 with iOS 12.4

My other devices run iOS / iPadOS 13.3 and are a problem in themselves, but i try to not forget to skip updating Cubasis 2!

Cubasis 3 would sure get no money from me, at least for some major time until everything is fixed.

Maybe summoning @LFS may help, or better, you make a write up of your problems in the respective bug threads.

Cannot see many problems with nanostudio 2!

BUT, it may have problems with some non-standard AUs, so you may just try some different AU when you run into problems.
    The App itself is rock stable and has no real issues.

So did you ever get un-stuck from that project TJA? I was following that thread over there very closely as my IOS 12.3.1 iPad which I never update decided to update all my apps by itself .. including Cubasis 2, so now all of my iPads have 2.8.2 on em not by choice argh 😡 Anyway so I downloaded your example .cbp file into Cubase 2.8.2 but it played just fine on my 1st gen Pro (didn’t try it on the other pads). Also as a heavy Cubasis user literally working 10 hours a day on em 7 days a week, so far I can’t find anything working differently in 2.8.2 than the previous version on my 1st gen Pro 12.9, 2nd gen 12.9, or 2nd gen 10.5, only that pesky store screen when I first boot up. I wonder if there is something going on with the 9.7 Pro’s?

• edited January 2020

• edited January 2020

Always had pops/crackles with cubasis 2. Thanks for the heads up with 3.
    AUM/Apematrix sets that are not too extensive and Korg gadget are the most stable for me.
    Ipad air 3.

• For reference, here's the smallest test case I could make to show the issue in NS2...