Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

R.I.P. Neil Peart

edited January 2020 in Other

This hits like a sledgehammer. :'(

He passed away on Tuesday, but I guess the news is just coming out now.

He was only 67.

Comments

• Jeezus! RIP

• Gosh. What the. . . .

• Just started getting into them a few months ago thanks to a 'Classic Albums' episode on Amazon Prime. Epic stuff! Very recommended episode on 2112.

• Wow, didn’t realize . ZYeah I’m just seeing it now

• edited January 2020

Holy hell - what a way to start the year. Well, what the hell - this deserves a story... (edited as I remembered a bit more)

Once upon a time I was a teen. I know - hard to believe. I was going to a new school and was looking for a guitar teacher, and my sister (in high school at the time) had a friend who played. My folks connected with him and started paying him to come to the house and teach me. When he came over, he brought two albums on cassette that I asked him to copy for me: Al Di Meola's Cielo E Terra and Rush's Permanent Waves. Permanent Waves became an instant favorite album, and it is still my favorite Rush album. I wore that tape out.

The next year, I had just moved to a new high school and didn't know anybody so I was looking to make friends (I moved around a lot as a kid). One of the first people I befriended was Mason, and Mason was REALLY into Rush. My Dad was a huge Classic Rock fan while I was growing up, but Rush was one of those things that just "didn't do it for him", so they slipped through the cracks for me, save for the album given to me by my guitar teacher. I was already into bands like Pink Floyd, Yes, and Emerson Lake and Palmer, but Rush was something different. There was an energy, an excitement to their music. The music rocked harder than any other prog group I'd listened to, and the music was far more easily accessible to me. Mason and I connected over our love of Rush and he made me a mix tape, and that truly began my long love affair with this band. The first concert I went to without my parents was Rush, and Mason drove, for the Presto tour. Then we saw them again on the Roll The Bones Tour a year or so later.

It's been a long time since I was an active listener to Rush, and their most recent music was never my favorite, but they will ALWAYS be special to me as one of my first "favorites." I bought their full discography on cassette in the 90's and proudly wore my concert tee at any given opportunity. They were always the underdog band for the underdogs - the band no one ever recognized unless you were part of the "club". I've watched all the recent documentaries and concert films, etc. I didn't choose to see them in the last few years because Geddy's aging voice was always a turn-off, but the band kept it real, never let the musicianship or performance slip over all those years. I've never seen a band that sounded exactly as their own albums do - this was that band, and I don't think we'll ever see their like again.

RIP Neil - you are possibly the most celebrated drummer in all of rock music. Duly earned and deserved sir.

So yeah - this is a sad one for me.

• Thank you for the story @Daveypoo - it is interesting to see the many ages at which and ways people who enjoy Rush got into them.

For me, it was when I was around 12, and starting out with guitar. Alex was very unique and overall the songs were just so different and refreshing, even within the "prog rock" genre as @Daveypoo points out above quite eloquently. My best friend was the drummer I started out playing with in a band (and who attended music school with me through college) and he rose to the challenge of learning Neil's parts with dedication that is absolutely required to do so. I've always been a fan of drummers and their incredible skillset and athleticism - I still admire and curse drummers I've known for years when I see them as they don't look my age though I know they are, while I surely DO look my age! - and Neil was at the top of that game.

My first Rush show was on the Signals tour and I've had the pleasure of seeing them many times since (though not every tour, for whatever reason some had to be skipped). I will cherish those memories even more now. As for IK, I was not present during the sessions but we (through Sonic Reality) did get to work with Neil and he was of course amazing from what I've heard about the experience.

Sorry for the novella but this an absolutely crushing loss for many and for the music community of both creators and listeners alike.

• @Daveypoo Rush was the first band I ever saw. The first band my brother and I saw together. Tickets in the nose bleed seats at the Colosseum in LA during the 80’s during the Grace Under Pressure tour.

I still have the vinyl. Neil was a great lyricist and philosopher as well.

All the greats from my youth are bugging out.

Go and donate to the Australian wildfires on the front page of this forum, so we can have a world around long enough for another Neil Pert to come along.

• Been lurking lately mostly, but I'm a long time member here. Just had to comment on this, since Rush is a long time fave and Neil was always a big part of it. A few will appreciate my comment when I say he was a different drummer. A sad day. He was the idol of my drummer in my casual jam band, and I went to a half dozen of Rush's shows with him. Neil always struck me as a genuinely nice guy on top of being an amazing musician. Most will remember him for his drumming, but he wrote most of their lyrics as well. Bad start to the year. Listening to 2112 as a memorial of sorts.

• More Rush will be heard and played in the world this weekend than ever before.

• Exit the warrior.

:'(

• edited January 2020

Oh flipping heck, brain cancer, just like a couple of my mates.

Saw Rush on their Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tours, fantastic band.

Bummer. Right, Farewell to Kings on the stereo,now.

• Am laying in bed headphones on listening to The Damned when I read this. Real sad, what a great drummer - immediately swapping songs to Xanadu. Hope they play drums in the wherever after & if they do Neil will be amount the best.

• RIP Neil. You inspired so many of us with your wonderful drumming and lyrics.. A generational talent that was a huge part of my youth like many of you have shared..

• 🥁... 💔... 😢...

• @MonzoPro said:
    Oh flipping heck, brain cancer, just like a couple of my mates.

Saw Rush on their Hemispheres and Permanent Waves tours, fantastic band.

Bummer. Right, Farewell to Kings on the stereo,now.

Permanent Waves is my FAVORITE Rush album. IMHO it's their best.

• This is a big blow to be sure.
    They announced his death on Chicago radio today and had Max Weinberg on to talk about him.
    Of course Max was singing his praises and commented that you know you’re considered the best when you have your own joke.
    So, how many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    5. 1 to screw it in and 4 to tell you how much better Neil Peart would have done it.
    What an icon.

• Sad news indeed, he was a true icon of the drum stool (not to mention a great lyricist too). My friend Dave was the one who introduced me to Rush, saying “listen to this, they sound like Led Zeppelin with Robert Plant on helium!” He then played me 2112 and that was it! Sadly Dave died of cancer two months ago. If ever there was a time to donate something to a cancer charity (in the name of Neil Peart), now is the time.

• All this machinery
    Making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted
    Not so coldly charted
    It's really just a question
    Of your honesty, yeah your honesty

• Shocked by this.

• @Ben said:
    So, how many drummers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    5. 1 to screw it in and 4 to tell you how much better Neil Peart would have done it.

Just the salve. Awesome! \m/

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    All this machinery
    Making modern music
    Can still be open-hearted
    Not so coldly charted
    It's really just a question
    Of your honesty, yeah your honesty

I have heard that song many times and never really connected on the meaning of the words until I saw them written here. Thanks for that. And rip to Neil

• Incredibly sad news, just simply unbelievable, amazing drummer and an amazing and kind man

• That is dreadful news. I was lucky enough to meet him and Alex for autographs during the Farewell to Kings tour. I remember being quite overawed at Neil’s stature, he seemed like a giant, but they were both very gracious and affable. Watching them perform on stage at the Glasgow Apollo was a privilege from start to finish.

• edited January 2020

Been a fan since a teen, when my mate Tony lent me his C60 copy of Grace Under Pressure & Moving Pictures on the school bus home. I was sold & initially convinced the singer was female. Along with Copeland he was probably my main inspiration to be an aspiring drummer. Eventually got to see them decades later & was amazingly fortunate to be subsequently given a set of NP’s sticks that he had used on the uk leg of the Clockwork Angels tour, well dinged, he was clearly a pretty heavy hitter !
    An incredible trio, the band’s music has meant a lot to me at various points through the years of growing up, particularly in soundtracking the 80’s, staring out of bus & train windows on tedious journey’s with autoreverse set on the walkman.
    Loss of a true innovator, he repeatedly achieved the seemingly impossible on a drumkit. Happy trails NP, thanks for all of the wonderful words & music ❤️

• edited January 2020

We used to play this song in our rock band in the early 90s because our drummer was heeeeeaaaavily inspired by Neil Peart. For me as a keyboard player it was a great rhythmic excercise I must say 😁
    Rush has always been a band who managed to make even odd meters sound enjoyable.

• So sad! I knew the guys in Rush many years ago as we had a local (to them) small studio where they actually came in and did pre-production rehearsals fo the Farewell to Kings album. It was always a thrill and pleasure (as a frustrated drummer myself) to watch Neil perform. He was one of the finest musicians I have ever met.