Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[topic removed]

Comments

• How does it perform if we compare with Room ? Can anyone who own both apps upload the same IR in each app and explain the advantages ? Quality, performances, easiness, etc

• Of the bat .. differences between Impulsation and Rooms convo reverb?

• Free version never worked for me

• edited January 2020

@david_2017 : re the JAX free app, I thought the same until I realised you have to click on the little IR tab far right in the app, path through the folders to an impulse, click on it, and close before you start. Worked for me then, though ymmv, I guess? Some of them are subtle, so I went for the Folder 07 Special, P128 Universe Infinity, (the folders scroll, also not obvious so when you click on them you don’t think anything has happened) then in IR Modification, bottom left, dragged the sliders all the way over to the right and hit Apply - 10 seconds of bottomless awesomeness then attached itself to my noodlings ... :)

• Dear Jens, lots of us want to use your Convoluter in a real time guitar setup. Many of us are not bright enough to understand the problems that you have been facing and frankly don’t care. I know you are an OG. Please make this run without crackles with super short latency

• @david_2017 said:
    Free version never worked for me

Have you tried to open the standalone version first, you have to do that to load the IR lists. Then you will find them in the AU version

• Great app. Great dev.

• Bought. I really like idiosyncratic developers whose apps play firmly in left field.

• @audiobussy said:
    Dear Jens, lots of us want to use your Convoluter in a real time guitar setup. Many of us are not bright enough to understand the problems that you have been facing and frankly don’t care. I know you are an OG. Please make this run without crackles with super short latency

I don't really think this app is meant for guitar cabs, the USP of this convolver is that it can do true stereo IR, unlike other apps on iOS. However this is really CPU intensive which is why this plugin is more demanding on the CPU. Guitar cabs are not stereo anyway so for that purpose you are better off using another app, this one is for more complex spaces such as rooms, halls, plates etc...

• @richardyot said:

@audiobussy said:
    Dear Jens, lots of us want to use your Convoluter in a real time guitar setup. Many of us are not bright enough to understand the problems that you have been facing and frankly don’t care. I know you are an OG. Please make this run without crackles with super short latency

I don't really think this app is meant for guitar cabs, ...

Why not??

• @audiobussy said:

I know it sounds totally counter-intuitive but have you tried to open more instances of it and try again?

• @rs2000 said:

@audiobussy said:

I know it sounds totally counter-intuitive but have you tried to open more instances of it and try again?

• @richardyot said:

@audiobussy said:

I don't really think this app is meant for guitar cabs, the USP of this convolver is that it can do true stereo IR, unlike other apps on iOS. However this is really CPU intensive which is why this plugin is more demanding on the CPU. Guitar cabs are not stereo anyway so for that purpose you are better off using another app, this one is for more complex spaces such as rooms, halls, plates etc...

so which app would you suggest for guitar cabs? example load 3sigma IRs? they come with so many sample rates?

• @rs2000 said:

@richardyot said:

@audiobussy said:

Why not??

I explained why not already, in the post you quoted. The app is CPU intensive because it is true stereo, so it makes more sense to use a more efficient app for guitar cabs since the stereo aspect is not needed for them.

• @hisdudeness said:

@richardyot said:

@audiobussy said:

so which app would you suggest for guitar cabs? example load 3sigma IRs? they come with so many sample rates?

Probably the Gospel Musicians one, IMPULstation

• edited January 2020

@richardyot said:

@rs2000 said:

@richardyot said:

@audiobussy said:

Why not??

I explained why not already, in the post you quoted. The app is CPU intensive because it is true stereo, so it makes more sense to use a more efficient app for guitar cabs since the stereo aspect is not needed for them.

If I understand the mechanism correctly then the CPU load should go down with shorter IRs.
    Certainly worth a try.

Edit: Just tried in AUM (256 samples buffer size) with Convolutor PE on iPad 6:
    1.4s IR length: 21% CPU
    7.0s IR length: 60% CPU with some peaks going up to 90%.

Same setup with two instances of Convolutor PE both with a 7.0s IR loaded:
    50% CPU with some peaks going up to 75% CPU.

• Right, but a mono to stereo plugin like IMPULstation is likely to be more efficient still.

The only way to be sure would to test both apps using the same IR.

• @richardyot said:
    Right, but a mono to stereo plugin like IMPULstation is likely to be more efficient still.

The only way to be sure would to test both apps using the same IR.

That would be a very useful comparison indeed!

• Huh. The latest update to the free app which I unfortunately downloaded appears to nerf it deliberately and push you to the pro version?

• @richardyot said:

@hisdudeness said:

@richardyot said:

@audiobussy said:

Probably the Gospel Musicians one, IMPULstation

For cabs, Rooms works well. I would imagine impulsation does too.

The manual for Jax Convolutor (both PE and Pro share the same manual) is explicit that it is not intended for short IRs and will perform inefficiently with them.

@richardyot : I am not sure that Jax Convolutor is doing "true stereo" anymore. I don't have it yet and so can't test. An email that I had from Jens gave me the impression that he might have decided on a different approach for stereo. The message was not entirely clear. True stereo (and I got this wrong in an earlier post somewhere) requires either two stereo IRs or the equivalent four single channel IRs. Very few of the free IRs out there are true stereo. If any IR is a single stereo file it is a mono-to-stereo IR.

• edited January 2020

I have the Samplicity IRs which seem to be stereo, although there are two files (left and right), not four, in each folder (plus an mono-to-stereo version as well).

These used to be available as a free download, but now they can only be found on the WayBackMachine. I have them in my Dropbox though if anyone wants to grab them:

Samplicity M7 IRs

• @Svetlovska said:
    Huh. The latest update to the free app which I unfortunately downloaded appears to nerf it deliberately and push you to the pro version?

In what way does it nerf it? Could you be more specific? Specifics will help figure out what is going on.

I doubt he would have done something intentionally to make PE worse.

Make sure that you are using buffer of 1024 in your host.

• @richardyot said:
    I have the Samplicity IRs which seem to be stereo, although there are two files (left and right), not four, in each folder (plus an mono-to-stereo version as well).

These used to be available as a free download, but now they can only be found on the WayBackMachine. I have them in my Dropbox though if anyone wants to grab them:

Samplicity M7 IRs

Many thanks

• @Svetlovska said:
    Huh. The latest update to the free app which I unfortunately downloaded appears to nerf it deliberately and push you to the pro version?

These kinds of comments were also made for the latest Cubasis 2 update. But how can you think that Steinberg, Jens or any other serious dev, and they are the vast majority, could even imagine such a stupid and counterproductive strategy?
    It seems to me offensive to ours and their intelligence as well as totally unfair.

• @richardyot said:

Samplicity M7 IRs

Does Convolutor Pro have a way of importing true stereo IRs (which would be either two stereo IRs or four single-channel IRs) as a set?

• @Faland said:

@Svetlovska said:

These kinds of comments were also made for the latest Cubasis 2 update. But how can you think that Steinberg, Jens or any other serious dev, and they are the vast majority, could even imagine such a stupid and counterproductive strategy?
    It seems to me offensive to ours and their intelligence as well as totally unfair.

Why not wait for the more detailed explanation before judging?

• @richardyot said:

Samplicity M7 IRs

Thanks, these are indeed the files you'll need for true stereo reverberation! 👍🏼

• @espiegel123 said:

@richardyot said:

Samplicity M7 IRs

Does Convolutor Pro have a way of importing true stereo IRs (which would be either two stereo IRs or four single-channel IRs) as a set?

I don't know - I haven't had a chance to really poke around, maybe someone could ask the dev?

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 @espiegel123

Downloaded update for the
    free version on to my phone.

Currently using it to add
    reverb to some mixes.

Seems to be working as intended.
    I haven’t done a dsp check yet, etc, etc.

iPhone SE iOS 13.3

AudioShare
    Convolutor PE au
    AUM

• @richardyot said:

@espiegel123 said:

@richardyot said:

Samplicity M7 IRs

I don't know - I haven't had a chance to really poke around, maybe someone could ask the dev?

Since I don't have Pro, I can't test it. I tried to ask him but he lost track of the question he was answering and instead talked about his frustrations with iOS and mobile devices and how he was more interested in creative application and that there aren't many true stereo IRs out there and never got around to answering about true stereo.

The sense that I had from him over several emails was that his ideas about what was important in the AU and what features to focus on was in flux.

Anyway, all of the existing IR apps can be tricked into doing true-stereo but one has to do some clever configuring. I've done it with Rooms and assume the same can be done with impulsation if one understands that you need to get the left channel of your input to convolve the mono-to-stereo IR that is for the left input and get the right channel to convolve with the mono-to-stereo IR for the right input. You then mix the results (they should be set full wet). It requires two instance of the convolution plug-in.

One thing is that true stereo is not necessarily more pleasing than mono-to-stereo with long reverbs since real reverb in big rooms tends not to have a lot of stereo separation.

Jens' plugin has a lot of options for realtime manipulation and some nice manipulations of the stereo image. I think that PE version sounds great once one has the buffers set up correctly and gives a lot of control. It is worth paying for.