Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Spectrum Updated! (0.65 - Jan 2020)

Hi,

I figured it was time to make a new thread about Spectrum :)

I just released 0.65 to the App Store. It features a nicer UI, and a few new features.

• Tap the value of any menu picker to get a scrollable list for faster parameter changing
  • Clouds has a configurable "Quality" setting. Set to low quality for a lo-fi grungy 8 seconds buffer.
  • Clouds once again will save the freeze buffer if you save the preset or document while Freeze is enabled.

Despite my early announcement about Spectrum moving to a paid model, this version is still completely free. My plan is to add new features in the coming months under a single "Pro" IAP while the existing functionality will always remain free.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/spectrum-synthesizer-bundle/id1467384251

The new update should be available in the next 24 hours. Please let me know if there's any issues in your AU host. I changed how the UI renders quite a bit and didn't test all the AU hosts.

Cheers
Tom

Comments

• Weeeee, thank you

• Thanks lotsa @burns_audio
    Just sitting on a track and picked out RES and GRAN for it... Nice work!

• Thanks ya!!! Will be awaiting that IAP

• Nice, thanks so much.

• Wow! Some gifts to the community keep on giving! :)

Thank you!

• The news inspired me to try in on my iPhone:

Works pretty well... we should request the usual folks to make more presets for this one.

• Thanks, installed, started, killed, added in AUM, routed to keyboard, played a bit, feels nice!

I but noticed, that AUM directly did go 5+ over 0 dB.... which a Synth should not normally do, or?

• Also, even after clearing the project, both in AUM and AudioBus, or even Safari, there is this red mic symbol on top of the screen now:

Cannot get rid of that again :o

• @tja said:
    Thanks, installed, started, killed, added in AUM, routed to keyboard, played a bit, feels nice!

I but noticed, that AUM directly did go 5+ over 0 dB.... which a Synth should not normally do, or?

Which instrument did that?

• @tja said:
    Also, even after clearing the project, both in AUM and AudioBus, or even Safari, there is this red mic symbol on top of the screen now:

Isnt that always present when AUM or another real-time audio app is running?

• @burns_audio said:

@tja said:
    Thanks, installed, started, killed, added in AUM, routed to keyboard, played a bit, feels nice!

Which instrument did that?

The default, Analog.
    But after tuning around with the knobs:

• @burns_audio said:

@tja said:
    Also, even after clearing the project, both in AUM and AudioBus, or even Safari, there is this red mic symbol on top of the screen now:

No.

Also, it is should not appear on Safari, after AUM and all other Apps got killed ;)

But after the last start of AUM, it moved to the right, not staying in the middle anymore

• @burns_audio said:

@tja said:

Are you on Ios13? This Silly red thingy is happening alot on ios 13. Even when you close AUM it stays. I think its an apple ios bug.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@burns_audio said:

@tja said:

Are you on Ios13? This Silly red thingy is happening alot on ios 13. Even when you close AUM it stays. I think its an apple ios bug.

Only had that now with Spectrum.

• I have only seen the red icon when AUM is running. I'll see if I can reproduce but it's always disappeared when I fully kill AUM

• @tja said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@burns_audio said:

@tja said:

I get it alot with other apps and AUM.

• @tja said:

I have one idea what it may be, but it's a bit of a long shot. I'm a bad test case because when I'm using AUM I'm using a spectrum synth like 99% of the time so that's probably why I thought it was normal.

@[Deleted User] are you sure you have seen this issue when doing sessions where you never loaded a Spectrum device?

• awesome!!!!

• I tested with a second device on iPadOS 13.3 and a random other AU:

Did not happen at all!

• @tja I don't see any differences between Spectrum and other AUs on my ipad.

load an AU like model 15 and rozeta bassline, play some notes, minimize - red icon on right corner. Double tap home and kill AUM, icon disappears

• @burns_audio said:
    @tja I don't see any differences between Spectrum and other AUs on my ipad.

load an AU like model 15 and rozeta bassline, play some notes, minimize - red icon on right corner. Double tap home and kill AUM, icon disappears

Only that it does not disappear for me at all, after using Spectrum ;)

It’s still there and does not vanish anymore.

• @burns_audio said:

@tja said:

I have one idea what it may be, but it's a bit of a long shot. I'm a bad test case because when I'm using AUM I'm using a spectrum synth like 99% of the time so that's probably why I thought it was normal.

@[Deleted User] are you sure you have seen this issue when doing sessions where you never loaded a Spectrum device?

Yep

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

I don’t think an AU can even cause that. The microphone thing is to signal apps running in background mode. An AU can’t even invoke background mode, can it?

I also know for certain that this has been reported happening randomly with other apps (hosts only if I remember right) since iOS 13.

@Tja, are you saying you can reproduce this consistently with Spectrum AU?

• @wim said:
    I don’t think an AU can even cause that. The microphone thing is to signal apps running in background mode. An AU can’t even invoke background mode, can it?

Dont think so.
    But it happended with this AU, and not with others.

I also checked that there is nothing else running in background: With other Apps that would show any other MIDI App and also with checking the battery stats.

• I think it’s just a coincidence that you were using Spectrum when it happened. It is a known thing, but I believe caused by iOS and applicable to hosts that have background capability.

Clearing memory, or a device reboot should remove it.

• edited January 2020

@tja said:

@wim said:

Dont think so.
    But it happended with this AU, and not with others.

I also checked that there is nothing else running in background: With other Apps that would show any other MIDI App and also with checking the battery stats.

Its an ios 13 thing effecting AUM, Safari, basically what wim said.

• The new pop up menus have a bug in iPhone that makes it hard or impossible to close the menus. It will get fixed this week.

• Any chance you would consider adding a randomize feature?

I’m absolutely loving this app! I’m just a Synth noob, so I like to randomize until I find something with potential, then tweak it a bit to fit my needs.

And thanks for MPE on the last update!

• @FriedTapeworm do you have Mozaic? I believe @wim wrote an excellent spectrum Randomizer script. I'm not against making one eventually built in but have higher importance stuff to build first