Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The state of current electronic music

edited January 2020 in Other

I'm not one for listening to the past electronic music created, I love it at the time but my interest (except for Classical Music) is always to listen to the music of the present.

Listening to the Electronic music last year was depressing, I think the lack of interesting and repeatable listening value of the genre has been at an all time low. I heard a few nice things but never felt like wanting to listen to it ever again.

I sure there are many reasons for this, lack of money in the music industry, artists interested in other genres maybe, the ease to bang together a few sounds in an DAW and call it an album.

I feel sorry for the kids, the last original genres appeared in the late 80's.... 30 plus years ago!!

Any thoughts? Am I completely wrong? Did i miss an incredibly interesting electronic artist that arrived on the scene since the early 2000's?

Comments

• Not exactly early 2000 but mid 90s and still rocking: Kenny Dixon Jr. aka Moodyman, Theo Parrish and Amp Fiddler...a whole bunch of Detroit Cats.

• @WTK said:
    Not exactly early 2000 but mid 90s and still rocking: Kenny Dixon Jr. aka Moodyman, Theo Parrish and Amp Fiddler...a whole bunch of Detroit Cats.

great cats, any new cats?

• edited January 2020

I rarely listen to mainstream music, as it's dictated by target markets and platforms with vested interests and usually watered down for idiots.

I dig into the guts of Soundcloud, Bandcamp, YouTube etc. bypassing the promoted fayre they try to force-feed me with, to reveal hudden gems and weirdness - mostly non-label stuff.

There's plenty of good music going on, but it's hidden by colossal piles of electric ham for the masses.

• edited January 2020

@MonzoPro said:
    I rarely listen to mainstream music, as it's dictated by target markets and platforms with vested interests and watered down for idiots.

I dig into the guts of Soundcloud, Bandcamp, YouTube etc. bypassing the promoted fayre they try to force-feed me with, to reveal hudden gems and weirdness - mostly non-label stuff.

There's plenty of good music going on, but it's hidden by colossal piles of electric ham for the masses.

Usually if it good enough it should rise to the surface even when its a underground artist. I'm not finding the gems i once found, the type of albums you play to death. Like burial or lesser known artists like otto totland (deaf center) both these dudes are now ancient.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@WTK said:
    Not exactly early 2000 but mid 90s and still rocking: Kenny Dixon Jr. aka Moodyman, Theo Parrish and Amp Fiddler...a whole bunch of Detroit Cats.

great cats, any new cats?

Maybe I was a little bit fast. :smiley: I think most of the other musicians from Detroit started in the mid 90s as well or even earlier.

• Long live Detroit. I mainly listen to the older stuff, with the odd newbie thrown in to stop me from going stale. But, yeah, I’m not aware of any newer stuff that’s great, but then I am in my mid-40s!

• There is lots of great stuff still brewing in the electronic corners of the world!

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    The Chromatics (Johnny Jewel)
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture
    James Blake (his first two albums, fucking amazing)
    Bon Iver does some beautiful electronic explorations
    Underworld released a new EP every single week of last year!! LOTS of really great experimental stuff they’ve come up with.

Alessandro Cortini
    The Delia Derbyshire Appreciation Society
    Juliana Barwick
    Loscil (this guy is fucking incredible)
    M83

And here’s a really obscure one that seems to get very little recognition — Dibidim (their album, Riders)

LOTS of great stuff out there, man. And the reason I love Spotify — so many corners to dig around in.

• @tadat said:
    There is lots of great stuff still brewing in the electronic corners of the world!

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture
    Underworld released a new EP every single week of last year!! LOTS of really great experimental stuff they’ve come up with.

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

And here’s a really obscure one that seems to get very little recognition — Dibidim (their album, Riders)

LOTS of great stuff out there, man. And the reason I love Spotify — so many corners to dig around in.

cool! are any of these artists new?

• edited January 2020

How long would someone have to have been making music to be considered new? Is there some kind of age limit?

• Ahhhg! Also, The Midnight!!! Jesus these guys have renewed my faith in synth pop!!

• edited January 2020

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:
    There is lots of great stuff still brewing in the electronic corners of the world!

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

How long would someone have to have been making music to be considered new? Is there some kind of age limit?

hihi, no i mean in the sense of first Album released say.

• edited January 2020

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

In 1990 I was 15 and Led Zepplin was an old band who’s first album came about 20 years earlier. The music they made sounded old and dated to me.

I think even the idea of ‘new’ is relative/subjective.

Now my ‘new’ favourite electronic artist ‘Tipper’ has been active for longer than that.

• edited January 2020

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

+2 for a lot of these. Tycho for one put out a really great album this year, and IMO James Blakes latest work kind blows but his first two albums are stellar.

@AudioGus said:

I was wondering the same?

Also Jogging House put out not one but two great records last year.
    Other artists with new-ish releases
    More Ghost then Man
    Floating Points
    Max Cooper

Also the folks that make Puremagnetik plugins have their own label and have been putting some cool ambient stuff over 2019.

• edited January 2020

People who listen to music actively have hyper-personalized listening habits due to streaming services, so new stuff is best discovered there as @MonzoPro said, but the artists there are not really going to be popular or well known like music 30 years ago.

Lots more people are experimenting with making music than ever before, so there's so much out there but each artist will have a niche audience.

Also how are you defining electronic music? There is so much genre blending these days, it really depends what you are looking for.

• Artists who are currently releasing decent stuff:

BT
    Emancipator
    All India Radio
    Solar Fields

Plus there are a lot of indie artists that fuse electronica with vocals, bands like Future Islands, Lanterns On The Lake, The Naked And The Famous - and Chvrches of course.

• edited January 2020

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

In 1990 I was 15 and Led Zepplin was an old band who’s first album came about 20 years earlier. The music they made sounded old and dated to me.

Led Zepplin were fresh and exciting in the early 1970's. To some their music is still great but it ain't new now.

I being specific about electronic music and new fresh and interesting artists which hopefully are still in their 20's but more importantly just new artists and new electronic music which is original.

• @auxmux said:
    People who listen to music actively have hyper-personalized listening habits due to streaming services, so new stuff is best discovered there as @MonzoPro said, but the artists there are not really going to be popular or well known like music 30 years ago.

Lots more people are experimenting with making music than ever before, so there's so much out there but each artist will have a niche audience.

Also how are you defining electronic music? There are so much genre blending these days, it really depends what you are looking for.

Yah to some folks ‘electronic’ is very specific. Drop in one warbly vinyl sample and you are out of the running.

• edited January 2020

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

Led Zepplin were fresh and exciting in the early 1970's. To some their music is still great but it ain't new now.

Hehe, I wasn't saying they are new now. i am saying as we get older our definition of ‘new’ tends to stretch to acomodate more time.

I being specific about electronic music and new fresh and interesting artists which hopefully are still in their 20's but more importantly just new artists and new electronic music which is original.

Why hopefuly still in their twenties? As genres age the average age of the masters tends to go up too.

• @AudioGus said:

@auxmux said:

Also how are you defining electronic music? There are so much genre blending these days, it really depends what you are looking for.

Yah to some folks ‘electronic’ is very specific. Drop in one warbly vinyl sample and you are out of the running.

Which is strange to me since what is considered the "golden age" of electronic music to some was all over the place and while we created a lot of new genres during that time anything really went.

• edited January 2020

@richardyot said:
    Artists who are currently releasing decent stuff:

BT

He is 48 and making music since 89. The OP is wondering if anyone in their 20s makes good electronic music.

• edited January 2020

@SanMateo said:

@AudioGus said:

@auxmux said:

Which is strange to me since what is considered the "golden age" of electronic music to some was all over the place and while we created a lot of new genres during that time anything really went.

Categorizing music and musicians is pure folly, but I’ll roll and tumble while on the crapper.

• @AudioGus said:

@richardyot said:

BT

He is 48 and making music since 89. The OP is wondering if anyone in their 20s makes good electronic music.

not just in their 20's (hopefully) but new artists coming out with their first creations.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@richardyot said:

BT

not just in their 20's (hopefully) but new artists coming out with their first creations.

You probably want to check unknowns on streaming services like Monzo said. The big money, big rocket stuff will be a bad filter to find what you seek.

• @AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

Hehe, I wasn't saying they are new now. i am saying as we get older our definition of ‘new’ tends to stretch to acomodate more time.

Why hopefuly still in their twenties? As genres age the average age of the masters tends to go up too.

because I want to hear new artists which can create fresh and new sounds.

• @[Deleted User] said:

Got me there, can't think of any fist time releases last year, tbh as hip as I like to believe I am, I'm also 43 so I'm sure it's out there I just don't know about it.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

Can you give an example of an electronic artist in their twenties who did this for you pre-2000?

• @AudioGus said:

@SanMateo said:

@AudioGus said:

@auxmux said:

Categorizing music and musicians is pure folly, but I’ll roll and tumble while on the crapper.

HAHA

• @AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@AudioGus said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@tadat said:

Royksopp
    Com Truise
    Ulrich Schnauss
    Tycho
    Ghost Culture

Alessandro Cortini
    Juliana Barwick
    M83

Can you give an example of an electronic artist in their twenties who did this for you pre-2000?

sure Aphex Twin was in his 20's when becoming a groundbreaking artist in electronic music.

• edited January 2020

Thanks to Spotify I discovered a whole new genre last year at the precocious age of 56 - Dark Ambient. I neither know nor care how old the makers are, or how long they have been around. It was new to me, and that is good enough :) Some might argue that it is not even pure electronic music at all, since it often foregrounds sample manipulation and FX over overt synthesised sounds, but it seems to me to be closer in spirit to the original experimental impetus of the electro acoustic and early art/synth pioneers like Silver Apples and Suicide than any amount of contemporary EDM, fine though some of that undoubtedly is. This stuff not only got me listening to electronic music again, it got me making it. It’s exponents are mostly anonymous, I don’t imagine more than 1 percent of them can make any kind of living from it at all, but the best of it is wonderful, darkly glamorous stuff. Kammerheit, Aun, Northaunt, Gustafson Hildebrand, Atrium Carceri... all great. I like to think of 2019 as my year of listening to reverb - and loving it. :) addendum: I also think the tape manipulation/old test equipment/FX/synth mashups currently being made by Hainbach and showcased on his YouTube channel are pretty inspirational for when I’ve had enough darkness for the day. He is definitely not in his 20s.

• Some of the younger/newer artists to check out:

Ben Khan
    Trevor Something
    Shura
    Julianna Barwick