Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Will a new ARP 2600 appear in 2020?

(If one does, bang goes the value on my now-fixed fully functional ex-Roger Glover ARP 2600 with the original 4012 filter).

We held a poll among the studio audience…
  1. Will whatever I said above, etc17 votes
    1. Yarp
      64.71%
    2. Narp
      35.29%

Comments

• No option for BARP?

• Both Korg and Behringer have plans.

• edited January 2020

@knewspeak said:
    Both Korg and Behringer have plans.

Yep this, you might see the korg one at namm

• (Should’ve awarded extra points for getting the yarp/narp reference)

• edited January 2020

Korg coming out in feb 3200 quid or half a bit coin maybe

• I’ve always wanted one, since missing out on one in a second hand shop here 30 years ago for a hundred quid. I’ve had a few software versions, but it’s not the same.

One of these, and a Behringer VCS3 would do nicely.

• I got the Behringer Odyssey a couple of days ago and have been really enjoying it. A 2600 would be very tempting if it’s priced right.

• You mean like the value my refurbed Pro-One with Turbo Midi and semi-weighted Fatar keyboard? I think there is always demand for the OG version, but the market value is impacted by these reissues.

• Sample & hold this:

• A ton of middle aged balding men making R2D2 noises in 2020.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    A ton of middle aged balding men making R2D2 noises in 2020.

I'm aspiring to R2D2 fart noises.

• edited January 2020

@u0421793 said:
    (Should’ve awarded extra points for getting the yarp/narp reference)

A Cornetto to the winner?? ;

(i hope that answer wasn’t too ‘fuzzy’)

• @klownshed said:

@u0421793 said:

B)

• @Liquidmantis said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    A ton of middle aged balding men making R2D2 noises in 2020.

I'm aspiring to R2D2 fart noises.

I’m aspiring to middle aged balding.

• edited January 2020

it is a beautiful piece of future too. Wow! if only I was a wealthy lord living in a country manor house this would be lying in the study room surrounded by plants, rare dusty old alchemy books and odd artifacts from around the world.

• @u0421793 said:

@klownshed said:

@u0421793 said:

B)

"He's not Judge Judy and executioner! .... He's my Dad!"

• edited January 2020

By the way, here’s mine, with the 4019 VCA I built on veroboard using more modern components, but to the same original ARP circuit:

• @u0421793 said:
    By the way, here’s mine, with the 4019 VCA I built on veroboard using more modern components, but to the same original ARP circuit:

B) pics of the front?

What are those things that look like Regurgitated Worthers originals?

• @enc said:

@u0421793 said:

They’re hand-selected matched transistor pairs, clamped together with small copper strips, then glued, to form a thermal bond. I took several weeks matching a whole load of transistors before I had the job I now have. I’d pick a transistor from the batch, plug it into a test rig for measurement, walk out of the room and make a cup of coffee or something, about 20 mins later or sometimes a couple of hours later I’d then press the button on the transistor tester, then write down the result. This way I ensured there was no thermal residue from my handling the transistor when I inserted it into the tester socket, as that would affect the reading. After a month or so I ended up with the entire batch written down, and was able to get matched sets together.

• @enc said:

@u0421793 said:

B) pics of the front?

😂

• edited January 2020

If the Korg one has surface-mount transistor pair components (ie one silicon die with two transistors on it in one epoxy component) then this is a far more preferable way of ensuring consistency, as these single-component transistor pairs are inherently both matched and thermally bonded together.

(like this, or smaller)

• edited January 2020

By the way i heard korg are only making a certain amount, if they stick to that claim is another thing.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    By the way i heard korg are only making a certain amount, if they stick to that claim is another thing.

That’d be true no matter how many they make.

Unless they state what the intended certain amount actually is.

• @u0421793 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

That’d be true no matter how many they make.

Unless they state what the intended certain amount actually is.

I heard they said like a batch of them but maybe they changes there minds.

• edited January 2020

I must say, though, this new one comes in a huge wheeled flight case (unlike the original). The synth itself is already built into a robust case of it’s own with a lid, the keyboard+lid is a bit wider than the synth. Mine occupies an area of the house I could certainly do with reclaiming. If I had to have that wheeled outer flight case hanging around somewhere, that’s an awful lot of space tied up doing nothing useful. Don’t underestimate how big these things are.

• Oh and another thing. There’s in my opinion a good case to be made that the Odyssey (AKA the 2800) is actually the superior synth to this. The Odyssey has a high-pass filter (although not voltage controlled). It also has an LFO, and also a little sub-mixer for the input to the S+H, and that sub-mixer is available elsewhere as a mixed CV source. It also has a nice set of trigger arrangements for the ADSR and AR gens enabling it (among other things) to gate the LFO to trigger the env on keydown. All in a much more compact body. All for the sacrifice of one VCO (which was usually switched into LF anyway, the 2800 gives you it as a dedicated LFO). Admittedly the 2600 has a superb quadrature balanced analogue modulator (the ring mod), whereas the ring mod in an Odyssey is basically a handful of EX-OR gates, as the only input it can accept is square waves, and therefore it amounts to the same result in that case.

Just trying to make people feel a bit better. If you want a 2600, maybe a 2800 is probably good enough?

• @[Deleted User] said:
    it is a beautiful piece of future too.

Lol that’s what I was thinking too, though it’s a little too clean for me, would probably send it to the Fender custom shop for a little relic job 🙄

• @u0421793 said:
    Oh and another thing. There’s in my opinion a good case to be made that the Odyssey (AKA the 2800) is actually the superior synth to this. The Odyssey has a high-pass filter (although not voltage controlled). It also has an LFO, and also a little sub-mixer for the input to the S+H, and that sub-mixer is available elsewhere as a mixed CV source. It also has a nice set of trigger arrangements for the ADSR and AR gens enabling it (among other things) to gate the LFO to trigger the env on keydown. All in a much more compact body. All for the sacrifice of one VCO (which was usually switched into LF anyway, the 2800 gives you it as a dedicated LFO). Admittedly the 2600 has a superb quadrature balanced analogue modulator (the ring mod), whereas the ring mod in an Odyssey is basically a handful of EX-OR gates, as the only input it can accept is square waves, and therefore it amounts to the same result in that case.

Just trying to make people feel a bit better. If you want a 2600, maybe a 2800 is probably good enough?

Thanks man, yeah I do feel better now (I do have an Odyssey .. which I never use 🙄)

• Hell of a demo here