Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Convolution reverb in Rooms! is now free

124»

Comments

• @Gravitas : I have posted some examples of Rooms using borrowed true stereo IRs in the Convolution Convo thread.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Gravitas : for some apps , the cost of paying a graphic designer would exceed any additional revenue the nicer GUI would bring. For me, if an app does what it does well and the functionality is something I need, I don't hold the u.i. against it.

I hear you.

I'm most probably spoilt because of the years of being on desktops for so long.

It is also why I like the iOS platform.
    It's refreshingly challenging.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Gravitas : I have posted some examples of Rooms using borrowed true stereo IRs in the Convolution Convo thread.

Downloaded.

• @Gravitas said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @Gravitas : I have posted some examples of Rooms using borrowed true stereo IRs in the Convolution Convo thread.

Downloaded.

Hopefully, I did it correctly this time :)

• @espiegel123 said:

@Gravitas said:

@espiegel123 said:

Downloaded.

Hopefully, I did it correctly this time :)

Sounds good to me.

All three pieces though created for test purposes are enjoyable.

The reverbs are lovely.

I've left my comment on the other thread.

Thank you.

• edited January 2020

Right then.

After listening to @espiegel123 quite extensive tests
    I'm going to download Rooms and start all over again
    and get the IAP auv3 version.

It performs it's function no phaff.

I suppose the gui could get updated in the future until then.

Edit:

Downloaded and Auv3 purchased.

• @Gravitas said:
    Right then.

Edit:

I'm about to do the same but none of my IR files I have in the Rooms! standalone appear in the AUv3. Also, contrary to the manual, my IR files are listed in the "Parameters" section under "Convolution". They do work in the standalone however, so how do I get the IRs from the standalone into the AUv3?

• @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:
    Right then.

Edit:

I'm about to do the same but none of my IR files I have in the Rooms! standalone appear in the AUv3. Also, contrary to the manual, my IR files are listed in the "Parameters" section under "Convolution". They do work in the standalone however, so how do I get the IRs from the standalone into the AUv3?

FWIW, the easiest way is to put together. Zip file and put that in the Rooms folder. The. In Rooms standalone, long tap the zip and choose “unpack to impulses”. A preset bank with the zip name will be added. I think if the zip has a folder structure that is replicated which is useful if you have a bunch of IRS.

Otherwise, if the IR Files are short, you can tap to select a file and tap on the Share icon. Then tap “Copying/Importing”.

• Well ... sunofagun! App just updated and the dark-red on black color scheme now yields to the device’s color scheme. It looks a lot better, and respects dark/light mode as well. B)

• @wim said:
    Well ... sunofagun! App just updated and the dark-red on black color scheme now yields to the device’s color scheme. It looks a lot better, and respects dark/light mode as well. B)

From https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/General/Conceptual/ExtensibilityPG/index.html:

When users enter your extension, your custom UI can help to show them that they’re shifting into a new context. Because users can distinguish your extension from the current app, they can appreciate the unique functionality that you provide.

My past interpretation of this section was that the extension should have its own design (preferably that of the standalone app). But as this leads to a fight against appearance settings of some host apps (e.g. AUM), resulting in problems for some of which I could not find solutions, I changed my mind. Version 6.7 of RoomsAUv3 does not anymore try to set it own color scheme.

• edited January 2020

@espiegel123 I can import IRs and use them in the standalone, no problem but none of the IRs appears in the AUv3.

@polaron_de Is there an updated manual?
    The one included in the standalone and AUv3 refers to menu items that don't exist in the latest version. Thanks.

• @rs2000 said:
    @espiegel123 I can import IRs and use them in the standalone, no problem but none of the IRs appears in the AUv3.

Did you drag down the IR list? It does not update itself.

The one included in the standalone and AUv3 refers to menu items that don't exist in the latest version. Thanks.

What menu items would that be? The manual ought to be up to date, otherwise there is update work waiting.

• @polaron_de said:

Oh, interesting, I didn't know that. But the list remains empty.

What menu items would that be? The manual ought to be up to date, otherwise there is update work waiting.

From the AUv3 manual:

1. Transferring Files to the Documents Directory
      There are various ways to do this:
      iTunes File Sharing. This is the classical way, so to speak. You connect your iPad / iPhone / iPod touch to your Mac or PC and use iTunes to drag and drop files to the app's documents directory.
      Document Interaction. Rooms! registers as a handler app for audio files and for zip files. From any app that offers Open In... sharing functionality you can hand over audio files and zip files to Rooms!. For example, Safari and Mail can be used for this purpose.
      iOS 9,10,11 iCloud Drive app, iOS 12+ Files App and macOS 10.10+ Finder. Starting with version 6.4, Rooms! supports document browsing. The iCloud Drive app and the Files app can directly access the (local and iCloud) documents folders of Rooms!, while the macOS Finder has access to its iCloud documents folder.

All that works without problems.

1. Copying IRs to the Impulse Response Library
      Go to the Files view of Rooms!. If you want to copy a single audio file to the impulse response library, then long-tap the file name and select Copy to impulse responses. You can also bulk-copy short files (action menu in the bottom left of the view). For copying the contents of a zip file, scroll to the table section Impulse Response Archives, long-tap an irset or zip file and select Unpack to impulse responses.

That's where I'm irritated. After Open-in, I already have the IR in the Parameters > Convolution page and I can select it as an IR, and it works in the standalone.
    In my version of Rooms, the Files page has a list of audio source files, not IRs.

When I tap-hold an audio file on the files page, the option "Copy to impulse responses" does not even exist:

• @rs2000 said:

@polaron_de said:

From the AUv3 manual:

iTunes File Sharing. This is the classical way, so to speak. You connect your iPad / iPhone / iPod touch to your Mac or PC and use iTunes to drag and drop files to the app's documents directory.
      Document Interaction. Rooms! registers as a handler app for audio files and for zip files. From any app that offers Open In... sharing functionality you can hand over audio files and zip files to Rooms!. For example, Safari and Mail can be used for this purpose.
      iOS 9,10,11 iCloud Drive app, iOS 12+ Files App and macOS 10.10+ Finder. Starting with version 6.4, Rooms! supports document browsing. The iCloud Drive app and the Files app can directly access the (local and iCloud) documents folders of Rooms!, while the macOS Finder has access to its iCloud documents folder.

Go to the Files view of Rooms!. If you want to copy a single audio file to the impulse response library, then long-tap the file name and select Copy to impulse responses. You can also bulk-copy short files (action menu in the bottom left of the view). For copying the contents of a zip file, scroll to the table section Impulse Response Archives, long-tap an irset or zip file and select Unpack to impulse responses.

That's where I'm irritated. After Open-in, I already have the IR in the Parameters > Convolution page and I can select it as an IR, and it works in the standalone.
    In my version of Rooms, the Files page has a list of audio source files, not IRs.

When I tap-hold an audio file on the files page, the option "Copy to impulse responses" does not even exist:

To move individual files, tap on the share icon as I mentioned earlier. That is where the command to import an IR is.

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

@polaron_de said:

From the AUv3 manual:

To move individual files, tap on the share icon as I mentioned earlier. That is where the command to import an IR is.

I just noticed that using the Copy option in the popup you show that it moves the files, too. But you have to re-load the AU before they show up. They show up in the User section of the presets for me. If you reboot do they show up? I see the same ones in the standalone and AU as long as the AU loads after the import.

Is that not working for you?

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

The app cannot distinguish between IRs and other sound files. The files list shows all files (of certain types) that are in the app's documents directory (local or iCloud drive).

Selecting "Copy" gives a list of copy functions, the last one being "Copy to impulse responses". The documentation is unclear here, I will correct it.

• @rs2000 said:

I do not understand this.

• @polaron_de It works now. I just had to re-load the AUv3 after purchasing it like @espiegel123 said and now the IRs all appear in the list. Thanks for your help anyway!

• @rs2000 said:
    @polaron_de It works now. I just had to re-load the AUv3 after purchasing it like @espiegel123 said and now the IRs all appear in the list. Thanks for your help anyway!

Here is an example of Rooms! being used for a decidedly not reverb use:

@polaron_de

• @espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:
    @polaron_de It works now. I just had to re-load the AUv3 after purchasing it like @espiegel123 said and now the IRs all appear in the list. Thanks for your help anyway!

That kinda stuff is really fun! I just re-discovered what I did with my E-mu EMAX sampler decades ago :smiley:

• @rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

That kinda stuff is really fun! I just re-discovered what I did with my E-mu EMAX sampler decades ago :smiley:

+1

• @Gravitas said:

@rs2000 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@rs2000 said:

+1

This is such a fun and wide open parameter space. The choice of files has such a dramatic impact.

• edited January 2020

@polaron_de

My apologies if my remark about your gui was out of place but I speak honestly.

through @espiegel123 experiments in another thread
    he has shown me the validity of your app and the competition was fierce.
    So I've put aside my prejudice for nice looking gui's,
    redownloaded it and purchased the IAP.
    Now that I've heard it for myself it will be a well recommend app for the future.

Thank you for reminding me that you cannot always judge a book by it's cover.

Looking forward to experimenting with it in the future.

• @rs2000 said:

I am happy to hear this!

• @Gravitas said:
    @polaron_de

through @espiegel123 experiments in another thread
    he has shown me the validity of your app and the competition was fierce.
    So I've put aside my prejudice for nice looking gui's,
    redownloaded it and purchased the IAP.
    Now that I've heard it for myself it will be a well recommend app for the future.

Thank you for reminding me that you cannot always judge a book by it's cover.

Looking forward to experimenting with it in the future.

+1 for Rooms!
    I don't mind the look of plugin UIs as long as they do their job and as long as they're not counter-intuitive to use.
    With synths and DAWs that's a different matter, a bad piano roll design can ruin everything.

• @Gravitas said:
    @polaron_de

I am fully aware that parts of the GUI leave much to be desired, so your complaints are perfectly legitimate and welcome.

Best regards,
    Markus

• @polaron_de said:

@Gravitas said:
    @polaron_de

I am fully aware that parts of the GUI leave much to be desired, so your complaints are perfectly legitimate and welcome.

Best regards,
    Markus

Nice one.

Best Regards

Ishmael

• @rs2000 said:

With synths and DAWs that's a different matter, a bad piano roll design can ruin everything.

+1000

• wimwim
    edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:
    +1 for Rooms!
    I don't mind the look of plugin UIs as long as they do their job and as long as they're not counter-intuitive to use.

Indeed. I mean, look at Impulsation. Pretty GUI that the developer freely says is "harder to adapt" to iPhone than they're willing to invest in. I'd ditch that pretty GUI in a second to be able to use it in projects I want to transfer to and from the phone.

But ... I suppose there's a significant enough percentage of the population that cares more than I do about looks who think differently. Gospel Musicians ain't dumb.

I have 'em both. Rooms! wins for me because its more portable and thus more usable. And, now that the color scheme is better, I'm totally fine with the UI, so even better.