Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Continua by Audiodamage (iOS)

(*i started a new thread just to make stuff clearer)

Continua
Virtual Analog Morphing Synth
by Audio Damage, Inc.
$7.99

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1487732556

https://audiodamage.com/collections/plugin-instruments/products/ad051-continua

Continua is a three-oscillator / dual-filter six-voice virtual analog synth, with fully polyphonic modulation sources and built-in custom-designed effects, for everything from complex, evolving chill-out soundscapes to New Wave synth stabs

Full PDF manual available at the Audio Damage website.

• Standalone Version w/ IAA and AUv3

Your Continua purchase comes with a standalone version (with Inter-App Audio) and an AudioUnit V3 for using with an AUv3 host like GarageBand, Cubasis, or AUM.

• Three Flexible Oscillators

Continuously variable morphing waveform, with warp, shape, and skew controls.

• Dual Morphing Filters

Filters can be used in serial or parallel modes, and morph from lowpass through bandpass and highpass to notch in 2-pole and 4-pole configurations.

• Noise Source

Noise source features a "color" control that affects tonal characteristics of the noise.

• ADSR x 2

Continua has two ADSR-style envelope generators, with curve on attack, decay, and release.

• Flexible Envelope Generator (FEG) x 2

The two FEGs are arbitrary function generators, with up to 99 steps, curve and step level control, arbitrary loop points, and host tempo sync.

• Flexible Low-Frequency Oscillator (FLFO) x 4

The four FLFOs utilize four controls (phase, shape, skew, and warp) to access a virtually limitless palette of waveforms, and feature host tempo sync and retrigger.

• Sample And Hold

The S&H mod source can sample noise (random) or any of the other mod sources, at either a user-defined rate or a musical division, and includes built-in smoothing and distance limit (for a "walk" effect).

• Modulation

Every knob in Continua is a mod destination, with a very fast and simple assignment matrix access with a right-click on the knob (double-tap on iOS).

• Tuning Tables And Global Tuning Offset

Re-tune Continua to new intonations and temperaments using the open-source and easy-to-use TUN file format. A global tuning offset (default to A=440) allows you to easily retune the entire synth to match a different A frequency without using a tuning table.

• MPE (MIDI Polyphonic Expression)

Continua understands both "legacy" MIDI and MPE. Use your Linnstrument, Roli Seaboard, Haken Continuum, Madrona Labs Soundplane, or Sensel Morph (among others) to directly access per-note pressure, pitch bend, and modulation.

• Per-Instance Settings

Continua utilizes a per-instance customization method: set MPE mode, aftertouch smoothing, pitch bend range override, tuning table, and global tuning offset for each instance in your DAW, with an option to save any state as your global starting point.

• Factory Presets

Continua comes with a substantial collection of factory content, including Designer Presets from Red Means Recording, Glitch Machines, Red Sky Lullaby, and SonalSystem.

• Cross-Platform Preset Format

Continua utilizes an XML-based preset manager. Work between multiple systems without troubles, make a preset on your desktop machine and paste it to the iOS version with Handoff, easily share your creations with your friends, or make a preset bundle to sell.

Comments

• edited January 2020

Continua Introduction

Continua - Audio Damage - Red Sky Lullaby presets demo

Audio Damage Continua: A Morphing VA Synth with RMR Presets

• i wont be buying this one but it will be worth testing the app at 44.1khz and 48khz to check the pitch.

• Cool beans!

I can’t believe AD haven’t adjusted their pricing policy for iOS. £7.99 is a freaking bargain!

Time to delve in.

• oh ya! a no brainer

• @waka_x what have you done with @White and where did you hide the body?

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    @waka_x what have you done with @White and where did you hide the body?

He he, I’m still here, I posted in the other thread though :)

• edited January 2020

Philandering_Bastard:
    nah white is still good
    but I wanted to make a proper/complete post
    as I help Audiodamage as betatester and friend (and AD enthusiast:)

• Goofy name, fun and great sounding synth

• @waka_x said:
    Philandering_Bastard:
    nah white is still good
    but I wanted to make a proper/complete post
    as I help Audiodamage as betatester and friend (and AD enthusiast:)

Appreciate the heads-up.

• 6 voices per instance compared to desktop 15. Kind of wish they let the pro ipads do more, but maybe they can't single out those ipads for a feature.

• edited January 2020

first thoughts - not bad, some interesting sound design possibilities, oscillators section is very nice, FM modulation between oscillators, yeah cool..

good stuff:

• very nice overall sound, i would say "smooth"
    • no noticeable "stepping" even during very slow tweaks (tested on filter cutoff with high resonance)
    • very good oscillators section, lot of possibilities for sound design
    • 4 LFOs, 4 ENVs :+1:
    • multipoint envelopes :heart: :heart: :heart:
    • macro knobs :heart:

a bit disappointed:

• unison can be just enabled - no controls for stereo spread / detune
    • filter resonance - too subtle for me, even if Q is on max there is not much resonance
    • LFO just 10hz

a little bit dissapointed with LFO - just 10hz is really low, i would preffer at least 30, ideally 60 - 120 hz range ..
    filter resonance is a bit small, even if Q is on 1.00 there is not that much resonance ..

• @[Deleted User] said:
    i wont be buying this one but it will be worth testing the app at 44.1khz and 48khz to check the pitch.

Tried mixdown in NS2 at 44, 48, 88 & 96khz - everything good. Also realtime playback switching between 44 and 48 fine.

• Why can’t developers implement a preset system where one steps through them with little arrows like on the Ice Gear synths for example?

< >

I know, first world problems.

• I know I don't need this. But I also know I buy like all AD apps.... so at some point I know I am going to purchase.

It is futile :cold_sweat:

• Loving this synth so far. Already made 3 dope sounds. I like the double tap for modulation, but now I can't use it to reset to zero/default and AD plugins tend to be a bit sensitive on honing in on exact values.

• Hello Everybody
    Here is my demo for Continua.
    Please let me apologise for saying Wave Table synthesis, what I meant was Wave Shaping, hope you enjoy the demo.

• Great sound! Top quality. Fun to use

How do i midi map? Managed to midi map through aun, but rather do it from the instance

• Is that an intro price? Probably going to buy, but trying to hold off on buying sexy new synths until I've got a better understanding of my existing ones. Going to be hard though. Morphing oscillators and multistep envelopes are quite exciting.

• edited January 2020

Love the rich sound, the modulation, that looooong reverb. Great presets.

Really don’t like the preset browser though:

• Can’t arrow through presets
    • Browser scroll bar extremely thin - difficult to hit it, much easier to select a preset by mistake.
    • Can’t swipe on preset names to scroll without selecting a preset
    • When you open browser, current preset is not highlighted, nor does it navigate to the folder it’s in, and the browser covers it up, so can’t always remember which preset I’m using or which folder it came from in order to select the next one when browsing through.

Same poor browser design as Quanta ... Come on AD you’ve had plenty of time to improve this. There are many other aspects of the design that are easy and fluid to use - why not the preset browser?

But overall I love it.

• @craftycurate said:

• Browser scroll bar extremely thin - difficult to hit it, much easier to select a preset by mistake.
    • When you open browser, current preset is not highlighted, nor does it navigate to the folder it’s in, and the browser covers it up, so can’t always remember which preset I’m using or which folder it came from in order to select the next one when browsing through.

Same poor browser design as Quanta ... Come on AD you’ve had plenty of time to improve this. There are many other aspects of the design that are easy and fluid to use - why not the preset browser?

But overall I love it.

+1 !!

• @craftycurate said:

I find it amusing that AD apps get such tough love. Not that there aren't problems, but no other developer — on the very day of release of what looks like a BEAUTIFUL and inexpensive app — gets knocked like this. Is it because Chris Randall has kind of a prickly personality? It looks like he can take it, where so many other developers come off as awkward geeks who need every ounce of encouragement that can be mustered?

I actually think behind his Steve Albini-esque persona, Mr. Randall also craves love. I will buy his new app.

• edited January 2020

@ExAsperis99 said:

@craftycurate said:

I find it amusing that AD apps get such tough love. Not that there aren't problems, but no other developer — on the very day of release of what looks like a BEAUTIFUL and inexpensive app — gets knocked like this. Is it because Chris Randall has kind of a prickly personality? It looks like he can take it, where so many other developers come off as awkward geeks who need every ounce of encouragement that can be mustered?

It's about the design of the app, nothing more, as a paying customer who has bought nearly every AD app. Please don't try to twist my words into some kind of personal attack.

My criticisms of the browser were sandwiched between two thick slices of high praise.

Please read my comments again :)

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@craftycurate said:

But overall I love it.

+1 !!

+2

@ExAsperis99 bu... bu... but I LOVE Mr. Randall’s prickly personality!

• FFS get a sense of humor.

• edited January 2020

it's a great synth but fair comment :) the preset browser is designed for mouse use and would be better if it worked better cross platform.
    I always tend to save my custom presets in the host AU preset for ease of use...

• edited January 2020

@Carnbot said:
    it's a great synth but fair comment :) the preset browser is designed for mouse use and would be better if it worked better cross platform.
    I always tend to save my custom presets in the host AU preset for ease of use...

That's a good point about it being designed for mouse use ... I can imagine a scroll wheel offering a better interaction than a swipe.

If the browser had improved swipe detection it could scroll without generating a tap event on first touch, a bit like Factory does, for example.

• The biggest hinderance to me buying this is the fact that it is iPad only. But I’ll still watch the videos and see if there’s enough unique functionality here to be worth it.

• Its beautiful but I’m getting occasional crackles,

Audio out to IDAM from AUM. Other synth not crackling (Mood) so I’m positive it’s Continua only.

• the synth looks great, functions great and sounds great! worth more than the price!
    this and shockwave are amazing releases.
    i really dislike the preset browser , it’s just like quanta :( other than that i don’t see any thing else i’d change at this point but really hope that they consider a more friendly scrolling method

• @RedSkyLullaby , really digging your sounds!!