Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any iRig blueboard users out there using midi over bt?

hello

anyone out there using their IK BB to control their DAW over bluetooth?
i just went through hoops trying to figure out why i could not update the firmware, i got an email from IK reminding me that my IK BB needs a PC and usb cable to update the firmware but even then i don't think it will work as the newer versions im told don't need firmware updates, is that correct? can anyone share photos of their IK BB and tell me if the first gen work after a a fw update?

thanks!

Comments

• You are still at the very start my friend,
    Today I actually got a pc and usb and spent the evening trying to make the update work and failed so many many times. There are some good pointers here at the forum on how to do it but still I failed. I guess it works differently for everyone.
    Tommorow I might try one more time but maybe it is better if take the board and throw it off a bridge.

and yes it is first gen, yes after the unsuccesfull update it is completly useless - D blinking piece of s#/t

• https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/31257/how-to-update-blueboard-firmware-on-windows

here is a piece of good advice I read, helped me acualy open the updater, start and fail the update about 50, 60 times with no result, but yeah before that I couldnt even open the file so thats progress
    I guess

• I sadly have a Blueboard but mostly use it as a MIDI testing device when I don't want to break out the full rig. It does work and is useful as a fairly simple way to connect multiple expression pedals to your laptop/iOS rig (via an app...FML) and also works fine for PC and CC on/off albeit limited due to it's screaming lack of programability. It's massively underwhelming when you consider you could get a Quicco m.1 attached to a KMI or FAMC (maybe RJM?) and have MIDI superpowers at your feet.

BB does have a mode where you can send MIDI note on/off messages too...possibly useful for some people.

IK MM suck for so many reasons and Blueboard is but one of them. IK could've made something great but didn't (couldn't?). So somebody in their ranks is either stupid or lazy. They again delivered a crippled half-arsed product.

FWIW, I had no issues with the firmware upgrade, as I recall, once I figured out the procedure but I have a Mac and had to borrow a PC to do it. Well designed, IK? No!

• edited January 2020

@Vaultnaemsae said:

IK MM suck for so many reasons and Blueboard is but one of them. IK could've made something great but didn't (couldn't?). So somebody in their ranks is either stupid or lazy. They again delivered a crippled half-arsed product.

Quicco m.1 attached to a KMI or FAMC (maybe RJM?) and have MIDI superpowers at your feet.

FWIW, I had no issues with the firmware upgrade, as I recall, once I figured out the procedure but I have a Mac and had to borrow a PC to do it. Well designed, IK? No!

😂 and thanks for the tip, very cool!
    Ok so i asked about this bb firmware update on the IK forum and i get 8 emails instead (odd?), 3 weeks into emails there was no mention about a 1st ad 2nd gen bb until yesterday., no stores have them, you guys obviously don't have any new gen bbs., do thy exist?

• I'm not sure how we'd know we have a 1st or 2nd generation BlueBoard. I know mine updated the firmware flawlessly but I did this at least a year ago, and this was from a Mac.

• I believe that 1st generation has a micro USB port located in the battery compartment whereas 2nd generation do not

@fprintf said:
    I'm not sure how we'd know we have a 1st or 2nd generation BlueBoard. I know mine updated the firmware flawlessly but I did this at least a year ago, and this was from a Mac.

• I spent many hours trying to update my 1st generation via PC, but after countless failed attempts I eventually bricked it. To produce a Mac device which can only be updated via PC is farcical. Hopefully IK Media have learned from this, and is never to be repeated! Unfortunately it has put me off buying any more IK Media hardware.

• No, IK learned nothing. Still a bunch of scamming fools!

• @Oblique said:
    I believe that 1st generation has a micro USB port located in the battery compartment whereas 2nd generation do not

@fprintf said:
    I'm not sure how we'd know we have a 1st or 2nd generation BlueBoard. I know mine updated the firmware flawlessly but I did this at least a year ago, and this was from a Mac.

that is correct, which also means no ext power source right?

• The latest do not have the USB connection. Both types should update firmware and work exactly as spec'd. If you've worked with our support team and still do not have a resolution, please feel free to PM me your ticket number(s) and I can have someone take a look at what happened.

• @GavrielProductions said:

@Oblique said:
    I believe that 1st generation has a micro USB port located in the battery compartment whereas 2nd generation do not

@fprintf said:

that is correct, which also means no ext power source right?

The USB connection was not meant to be used for power, only for firmware updates. Now those can be done OTA.

• I too spent a while trying to update the firmware only to finally learn I have the 2nd version and need no update. Mine had been sending all the messages without problem, though I haven’t tested since early iOS 13 versions. I don’t really use I just got it in case I need it. I did test that midi monitors were getting each message needed and rerouted it to be a makeshift sustain pedal.

• @ikmultimedia said:
    The latest do not have the USB connection. Both types should update firmware and work exactly as spec'd. If you've worked with our support team and still do not have a resolution, please feel free to PM me your ticket number(s) and I can have someone take a look at what happened.

Thanks but that won't be necessary, support help was fine, it was the holidays, i always ask allot of things at once, support answered the main and most important question, the store i got the BB from is asking IK for newer versions to swap mine with one now.

• @DMan said:
    I too spent a while trying to update the firmware only to finally learn I have the 2nd version and need no update. Mine had been sending all the messages without problem, though I haven’t tested since early iOS 13 versions. I don’t really use I just got it in case I need it. I did test that midi monitors were getting each message needed and rerouted it to be a makeshift sustain pedal.

are you using this with logic pro ?

@DMan said:
    I too spent a while trying to update the firmware only to finally learn I have the 2nd version and need no update. Mine had been sending all the messages without problem, though I haven’t tested since early iOS 13 versions. I don’t really use I just got it in case I need it. I did test that midi monitors were getting each message needed and rerouted it to be a makeshift sustain pedal.

No, I don’t have logic and don’t use any desktop for music at the moment. I should get Logic though.

• edited January 2020

@DMan said:

@GavrielProductions said:

@DMan said:

No, I don’t have logic and don’t use any desktop for music at the moment. I should get Logic though.

you don't need the latest IK BB version unless you want midi over bluetooth, i think the usb option in the first version allows you to power it externally, not sure if there is a external power option in th newer IK BBs,

thanks to member Vaultnaemsae i had no idea wireless bt adapters existed util i came to this site, the Quicco m.1 looks nice too.

@DMan said:

@DMan said:

you don't need the latest IK BB version unless you want midi over bluetooth, i think the usb option in the first version allows you to power it externally, not sure if there is a external power option in th newer IK BBs,

thanks to member Vaultnaemsae i had no idea wireless bt adapters existed util i came to this site, the Quicco m.1 looks nice too.

The iK rep said up-thread that the USB port was strictly there to make firmware updating possible and doesn't power the device.

• @espiegel123 said:

@DMan said:

@DMan said:

The iK rep said up-thread that the USB port was strictly there to make firmware updating possible and doesn't power the device.

I guess he should know best, however it does power up the Blueboard. It isn’t in the easiest place to actually do this but I read somewhere that it was for people who use a pedalboard, where it could be elevated slightly and kept in position. Maybe it was a hack rather the official use.

• edited January 2020

DELETED

• @Fitz said:
    I guess he should know best, however it does power up the Blueboard. It isn’t in the easiest place to actually do this but I read somewhere that it was for people who use a pedalboard, where it could be elevated slightly and kept in position. Maybe it was a hack rather the official use.

This was not a hack, @Fitz. I use a USB power supply to power my Blueboard as described on page 14 of the manual where it says:

USB Power
    On fixed installations this port can also be used to POWER iRig BlueBoard instead of batteries. For example if you plan to include iRig BlueBoard in a more complex pedalboard with integrated power-supply units, you can fix iRig BlueBoard to your pedalboard with Bi-adhesive Velcro, and you can connect a standard Micro-USB cable to this socket and to a regular 5V-USB power supply unit.

Also, on this page on IK Multimedia's site there is a comparison between their various floor controllers and under the heading "Power Supply" they show "4x AAA Batteries or USB power" for the iRig Blueboard.

• @Howard said:

@Fitz said:

This was not a hack, @Fitz. I use a USB power supply to power my Blueboard as described on page 14 of the manual where it says:

USB Power
    On fixed installations this port can also be used to POWER iRig BlueBoard instead of batteries. For example if you plan to include iRig BlueBoard in a more complex pedalboard with integrated power-supply units, you can fix iRig BlueBoard to your pedalboard with Bi-adhesive Velcro, and you can connect a standard Micro-USB cable to this socket and to a regular 5V-USB power supply unit.

Also, on this page on IK Multimedia's site there is a comparison between their various floor controllers and under the heading "Power Supply" they show "4x AAA Batteries or USB power" for the iRig Blueboard.

Thanks for posting.

• edited January 2020

@Howard said:

@Fitz said:

Official use, i can confirm that it works, just tested it using a usb power bank (one from ikea)
    and the v2 of the IK BB has the cut out for the usb but nothing inside, no port, sad because its a nice option to have incase power fails or batters die.

I also received an mail from IK with an image of the IK BB version 2: (PSSST, you would think IK could afford a color photo in 2020)
    https://www.ikmultimedia.com/firmware/blueboard/images/[email protected]

so im tempted to keep an older one for live gigging,

Its true that a wireless midi adapter would give me more options, even found a wireless mic adapter as small for xlr mics., i personally like to stay cable-less., i us a very small space, pretty much the same when i gig.

• What do you mean by a "solo photo"?

• edited January 2020

@ikmultimedia said:
    What do you mean by a "solo photo"?

typo, i meant to say color (i have multi dictionaries open with auto spelling, not good lol)

• edited January 2020

I received a message from a store asking me to request the exact model id of the new IK BB version, he said that he gets his products from a IK distributer and claims that there is no V2, his info is:
    SKU: IP-IRIG-BBRD-IN BAR CODE EAN: 8025813401037

Does the V2 have a different ID?

• edited January 2020

@ikmultimedia said:
    What do you mean by a "solo photo"?

the merchant has reimbursed me for this product with out replacing it now because the ik distributor did not reply in time to verify v1 from v2, so we can place a order and hi last order was less then a year ago.
    This feels a bit embarrassing considering comments here by poeple as well, is there a unique product id or did ik send out a batch and people have to now physically inspect them?

• edited January 2020

You would need to open them anyway as any unique identification would be on the unit themselves. It isn't embarrassing at all - any units that have the USB are old stock, we have been shipping the units without the USB port for a while.

The USB port does not make any supported functionality change, it is for firmware updates that can now be done OTA.

• edited January 2020

@ikmultimedia said:
    You would need to open them anyway as any unique identification would be on the unit themselves. It isn't embarrassing at all - any units that have the USB are old stock, we have been shipping the units without the USB port for a while.

The USB port does not make any supported functionality change, it is for firmware updates that can now be done OTA.

hello

I was told that the IKBB revision 2 comes with midi over BT functionality, rev 2 does not need a firmware update, which requires a usb port, windows and a PC.

You say that ik has been shipping rev2 units with out the usb for while now , but several merchants informed me that IK distributors have not provided any info to distinguish orders for rev1 from rev2 and their ik bbs batches are from orders less then 6 months.

Its a bit embarrassing if the merchant lied about something no?
    The merchant also claims that ik has not gotten back to them about this since i started posting here about it.

I spent more than a month trying to figure out how to get the BT to work over midi only to find out that the unit i recently purchase is a rev 1 and i need to update the firmware with windows and a PC 🙄.

just adding a note here, my solution now is to simply order two IK BBs from the IK site or THOMANN in Europe, at least they confirmed to have rev 2 so i can avoid all the headaches of a firmware update,

I like to have the USB option to power the IK BBS with a Powerbank at times can anyone tell me if they opened a bb up to see if it is possible to add a usb port?