Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• OMG. I'm just so friggin knocked out by this. I am an absolute sucker for the original. Dunno if I'll get it (sooooo many synths and a few vectors) but this is just fabulous news. Maybe in a few years I'll pick one up used.
    Korg, you continue to knock it out of the park!

• edited January 2020

Nice!
    The Wavestation deserves an update, both in samples and user interface.

Fun comment btw (from Gearslutz member ArtFluids):

What if they cross the Wavestate and the Prologue and make the Korg Prostate

• R_2R_2
    edited January 2020

Exciting news! Can’t wait to hear audio examples.

Was playing with iWavestation earlier today, KORG’s most experimental app imo, capable of much more than some of the typical 90’s sounds presented in the presets.
    Will definitely be checking the Wavestate out when I get the chance.

• Wait......what? That's an interesting choice to re-launch. Not Mono/Poly or Polysix, but I still love Wavestation but hmm. Will it support original sysex?

• Would you believe it!

One of the little projects I anticipated beginning over christmas was a new handful of WTFKnobs but based on iWavestation. I didn’t get much of it done other than some note-taking and structure / outline. In fact I didn’t get much done of anything over the break.

I think I’ll still go ahead with it, as the particular approach I intended is still useful. In fact, probably even more useful now.

• edited January 2020

Also, I guess digital is the new analog. Digital is dead, long live digital.

Argon8
    Hydra
    Kyra
    Jupiter XM
    Wavestate

• I never owned a Wavestation .. but I did sell them in the 90’s when I worked for Jim’s Music Center in So.Cal. I know the sound intimately. The iWavestation IS the wavestation. I can’t see any reason to get this new one with iWavestation on my iPad Pro .. but I guess we all need to really hear it and see exactally what’s new before saying never 🙄

• @cloudswimmer said:
    I never owned a Wavestation .. but I did sell them in the 90’s when I worked for Jim’s Music Center in So.Cal. I know the sound intimately. The iWavestation IS the wavestation. I can’t see any reason to get this new one with iWavestation on my iPad Pro .. but I guess we all need to really hear it and see exactally what’s new before saying never 🙄

For me, it highly depends on the UI of the synth. If it's much more accessible than the Wavestation or iWavestation (both fiddly) then that might be a thing.
    But who knows, Wavestation AU/VST on desktop, controlled by a custom Lemur design on iPad might be even better for sound design.

• I think the choice for full sized keys on this size of a synth is odd. I mean, alot of the OG is all about one finger orchestras. If you could get away with mini keys on any synth, I would think it would be this one. But, I'm not bothered by mini keys anyhow.

• loopop is already on it.

Anyone want to buy my hardware WaveStation SR?

• Anyone seen an indication of price yet?

• An AUv3-version of this would be nice... :)

• Info on KORG site (including links to manuals, etc) https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/wavestate

• @lasselu said:
    An AUv3-version of this would be nice... :)

THIS!

• edited January 2020

OK, got the manual and the impression that this is a synth with a fantastic sound engine but limited control in regards to sound editing. More like a players' synth with hands-on control of most params needed when playing live for people not into deeper sound editing and being OK to get a full-size keyboard without aftertouch and USB without audio support.

A proper editor would be great (the synth controls are very good but they suffer from the same long-winded procedure of actually finding the right sample like in iWavestation) but the Sysex spec indicates that this might not even be technically supported by its firmware.

Edit: Found the Category filter. Looks good.

All that, including USB audio, could probably done in firmware so I guess I'll wait and see what KORG will add. When they do it, I'll be in!
    Would certainly look nice next to my Sub37 :D

• Thanks @rs2000 very interesting. If it's hobbled by tough voice editing and sound design, then I'll just remain happy with my original and the iWavestation - which of course, if I told my wife that I was getting the new Korg she'd have my head on the proverbial dinner plate.

• edited January 2020

@lasselu said:
    An AUv3-version of this would be nice... :)

Definitely! I’m guessing there might be an iPad version of this... eventually. Could be a bit of a wait, though. Korg probably wouldn’t want to cut into sales of the hardware quite yet. So first, maybe a desktop VST in a year or so. After that, maybe a iOS AUv3. Just a wild goose guess.

If Korg made an iPad editor for the hardware keyboard, it would be VERY useful on a puppy like this... and tempt me to get one eventually.

For now... going to revisit the excellent iWavestation app! 😊

• edited January 2020

@auxmux said:
    Also, I guess digital is the new analog. Digital is dead, long live digital.

Argon8
    Hydra
    Kyra
    Jupiter XM
    Wavestate

👍 Yes, it is quite the renaissance! Da Vinci digital,lol. Before these came out, i was thinking that we would not see great new digital synths in hardware form because software synths (including iOS apps) are so popular, powerful, and relatively cheap (for all they do). Glad to see...

• @u0421793 said:
    Would you believe it!

One of the little projects I anticipated beginning over christmas was a new handful of WTFKnobs but based on iWavestation. I didn’t get much of it done other than some note-taking and structure / outline. In fact I didn’t get much done of anything over the break.

I think I’ll still go ahead with it, as the particular approach I intended is still useful. In fact, probably even more useful now.

Please do!

• @rs2000 said:
    OK, got the manual and the impression that this is a synth with a fantastic sound engine but limited control in regards to sound editing. More like a players' synth with hands-on control of most params needed when playing live for people not into deeper sound editing and being OK to get a full-size keyboard without aftertouch and USB without audio support.

A proper editor would be great (the synth controls are very good but they suffer from the same long-winded procedure of actually finding the right sample like in iWavestation) but the Sysex spec indicates that this might not even be technically supported by its firmware.

All that, including USB audio, could probably done in firmware so I guess I'll wait and see what KORG will add. When they do it, I'll be in!

I think it’s a little deeper than you give it credit for and besides there’s always this:

• R_2R_2
    edited January 2020

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:

I think it’s a little deeper than you give it credit for and besides there’s always this:

Yeah, the randomize feature looks good, with control over what to randomize and %.

The engine is fully editable, obviously there’s some menu diving involved (inevitable with a synth as deep as this). Have to use it in real life to find out if the UI feels ‘direct’ enough.

Interesting info on the wavesequencing 2.0

• @rs2000 said:
    OK, got the manual and the impression that this is a synth with a fantastic sound engine but limited control in regards to sound editing. More like a players' synth with hands-on control of most params needed when playing live for people not into deeper sound editing and being OK to get a full-size keyboard without aftertouch and USB without audio

Did you saw this video ? I don't think it's limited in any way.. especially the mod matrix part with 2 sources per slot and intuitive mapping (reminds me Obsidian's mod matrix which has same 2 sources -> one dest architecture) - check it at 29:10

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:
    OK, got the manual and the impression that this is a synth with a fantastic sound engine but limited control in regards to sound editing. More like a players' synth with hands-on control of most params needed when playing live for people not into deeper sound editing :D

What is it that gives you that impression? looks to me this has endless possibilities especially for those into constantly evolving soundscapes etc. Maybe it would be better if you defined precisly what you mean by sound editing? What does this synth not have in that aspect that others do?

• edited January 2020

@anickt, @dendy Yes, the loopop video was the first one I've watched.
    Don't get me wrong, this synth is very deep and my expectations are probably way too high, and I guess that most customers won't go too deep into designing their own sounds from scratch.

Yep, randomizing can be fun and definitely the fastest way to create new sounds.
    Maybe the sound category option will help speed up sound design compared to iWavestation. I'll keep my eye on this beast :#

@mungbeans Have you done sound design with iWavestation?

• @PhilW said:
    Anyone seen an indication of price yet?'

$800 at American retailers

• @mungbeans Have you done sound design with iWavestation?

I have it but I don't like using it at all so have hardly used it. The wavestate to me however seems nothing like the wavestation except in distant ancestory. But we're not talking about the iWavestate or original wave station, the wavestate looks a hugh step above those. I'm not yet really seeing any sound design red flags that leap out at me that are going to make me hesitate in getting one (and I'm into deep sound design, my number one preferred synth is the Virus TI due to its depth).