Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

what app for ? brass... funk... ! brass!

i’m diving very hard into the Funk end of the music pool. i’m loving it. i’m trying to find an app that has that sharp quick attack brass and sax line. any ideas?

Comments

• @eross said:
    i’m diving very hard into the Funk end of the music pool. i’m loving it. i’m trying to find an app that has that sharp quick attack brass and sax line. any ideas?

like this

• BenBen
    edited January 2020

Try Heavy Brass and Sensual Sax. Don’t know if it will make you that ^^ funky though.😉

• edited January 2020

Heavy Brass fo sho

• edited January 2020

@eross said:

@eross said:

like this

Great one! :+1:
    I had the best results when using commercial brass licks and loops, sliced and re-arranged to my liking. Takes more time to find the right snippets but to me that always sounded better than any iOS brass instrument.

Nonetheless, by combining a number of different ones and arranging them like in a brass section, you can get quite close.
    Try Pure Synth!

• edited January 2020

• Funk is the best music ever. I haven’t tried the brass one but the ifretless apps I do have are pretty great, I’m sure the brass one is pretty good as well. I use the bass app a lot when I want to get some funky lines going

• Although Heavy Brass is really good emulating real instruments, you probably won’t get those funky lines with just one sound. In my experience the best way to emulate those funky brass lines is to write them using the different single instruments and layer them as in the real world. You can use several instances of Heavy Brass with different sounds to get the proper sound texture.
    A trumpet is usually one or two octaves above the tenor sax, and the baritone sax (or a trombone) an octave or two below it. When the line has two saxes, they can play the same note (the small detuning will make the sound bigger) or with an octave difference, but sometimes they play in thirds, or fifths, or other intervals when the brass line is playing chords.

If you’re looking just for the standard funky octave brass sound then the best brass patches I’ve found are in Korg iM1 and Korg Module. If you load several instances of Darwin and Glasgow in Gadget you can layer them to create a really impressive sound.
    In iM1 you have patches like 33-Trpt & Sax and 12-Brass of Power (KLC card) that combined make a powerful brass line.
    in Korg Module Funky SFZ Brass and Octave Brass patches are really good too.
    Just layer the Korg Module sounds with the iM1 sounds but don’t forget to shift one of the sounds one octave above the other, preferably the one containing trumpets so you get a more real sound,
    Hope this helps 🎺🎷

• @Rodolfo said:
    Although Heavy Brass is really good emulating real instruments, you probably won’t get those funky lines with just one sound. In my experience the best way to emulate those funky brass lines is to write them using the different single instruments and layer them as in the real world. You can use several instances of Heavy Brass with different sounds to get the proper sound texture.
    A trumpet is usually one or two octaves above the tenor sax, and the baritone sax (or a trombone) an octave or two below it. When the line has two saxes, they can play the same note (the small detuning will make the sound bigger) or with an octave difference, but sometimes they play in thirds, or fifths, or other intervals when the brass line is playing chords.

If you’re looking just for the standard funky octave brass sound then the best brass patches I’ve found are in Korg iM1 and Korg Module. If you load several instances of Darwin and Glasgow in Gadget you can layer them to create a really impressive sound.
    In iM1 you have patches like 33-Trpt & Sax and 12-Brass of Power (KLC card) that combined make a powerful brass line.
    in Korg Module Funky SFZ Brass and Octave Brass patches are really good too.
    Just layer the Korg Module sounds with the iM1 sounds but don’t forget to shift one of the sounds one octave above the other, preferably the one containing trumpets so you get a more real sound,
    Hope this helps 🎺🎷

Very good advice here.
    As a long-standing big band & funk musician it frustrates me that so many demos of brass sounds reveal ignorance of how the various horns are arranged in real life.
    There’s been no shortage of great funk horn sections in the world but close listening to records by the likes of Tower of Power, James Brown, EWF, anything produced by Quincy Jones and most Stax/Volt 45s will tell you all you need to know

• You can also try a few tricks ... transients can be yer friend.... try popping a discreet kick at the front of yer trombone/chorus notes ... really gives them some ooomph ... even better with a choir of sopranos. +1 on the Pure Synth btw ... some lovely brass in there.

Few IoS apps seem to have the versatility of a full brass section ... can't swing easily from snarling to mellow... are a bit "tone and timbre-bound" ... Likely you'll need a few apps depending what you're after ...

Most likely they'll be sample-based but there's also some synths and hybrid techniques that are worth watching.

This lot are getting pretty good ... https://audiomodeling.com/video-swam-saxophones-in-action/ ... and they have some potted instruments on the Roli Noise app for ios.

• @Ben said:
    Try Heavy Brass and Sensual Sax. Don’t know if it will make you that ^^ funky though.😉

oh yeah , just bought it....that’s perfect! thanks for the recommendation. know i gotta figure out how to get funky 😉

• @eross said:

@Ben said:

oh yeah , just bought it....that’s perfect! thanks for the recommendation. know i gotta figure out how to get funky 😉

https://www.funkydown.com/downloads/shitty1.pdf

You’ll enjoy that read.

Also, if you have a groove 3 subscription, there’s a good course on horn arranging.

• @eross said:

I think @thesoundtestroom has a video with exactly what you are looking for ( app for brass/funk), if you can google....

• @rs2000 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

like this

I had the best results when using commercial brass licks and loops, sliced and re-arranged to my liking. Takes more time to find the right snippets but to me that always sounded better than any iOS brass instrument.

Nonetheless, by combining a number of different ones and arranging them like in a brass section, you can get quite close.
    Try Pure Synth!

It’s why I am waiting for Samplr’s update.. the best results I also had with horn/brass were loops.. Too bad Blocs Wave don’t have a dedicated pack on brass..

• edited January 2020

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

like this

Try Pure Synth!

It’s why I am waiting for Samplr’s update.. the best results I also had with horn/brass were loops.. Too bad Blocs Wave don’t have a dedicated pack on brass..

BM3 works well as a slicer too, as should ReSlice.
    My personal favorite is Stockholm in Gadget but that's because I have a good collection of REX files that are sliced already.

Edit: You can download ten RX2 brass loops for free if you sign up here:
    http://www.reasonrefills.ca/brass-and-reeds-v2-reason-refill

Sounds good me thinks 😎

• edited January 2020

Heavy Brass has several articulations. Here’s a jam.

• BeatHawk Brass Riffs

• edited January 2020

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

like this

Try Pure Synth!

My personal favorite is Stockholm in Gadget but that's because I have a good collection of REX files that are sliced already.

Sounds good me thinks 😎

Thanks.. going to fire up Stockholm.. Yep, BM3 is what convince me that I can play brass (slice to pads).. some pretty amazing stuff..

• @mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@Ben said:

You’ll enjoy that read.

Also, if you have a groove 3 subscription, there’s a good course on horn arranging.

that was an excellent article. if you have any more for other styles of music please link to them. that was a fun read.

• There is a part 2 but it's about recording the funk '45

https://www.funkydown.com/downloads/shitty2.pdf

• My “horn section” in AUM is 2 instances of HB: solo trombone and crescendo, 1 instance of iSymphonic All Brass and 1 Sensual Sax.
    At least that’s what I used for a James Brown jam I did recently.

• @Ben ... let’s hear it!

• @LinearLineman said:
    @Ben ... let’s hear it!

+1

• @mjcouche said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @Ben ... let’s hear it!

+1

Didn’t do a proper recording. Just tooling around. I think I’m in journey not destination mode right now.

• @eross said:

@mrufino1 said:

@eross said:

@Ben said:

You’ll enjoy that read.

that was an excellent article. if you have any more for other styles of music please link to them. that was a fun read.

Cool, glad you liked it. I love what he does. That article is somewhat tongue in cheek but also somewhat serious. I probably have other things I can link to. I save that part 2 was posted, I had forgotten about part 2. Also a good one.

• @rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

like this

Try Pure Synth!

Sounds good me thinks 😎

I guess I need to retract... This sounds so good... makes one wanna play instead of 'sampling'.

• @RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@RajahP said:

@rs2000 said:

@eross said:

@eross said:

like this

Try Pure Synth!

Sounds good me thinks 😎

I guess I need to retract... This sounds so good... makes one wanna play instead of 'sampling'.

Cool!