Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why I Love Rap

I posit the most diverse and original form of music today is rap music. I have heard every genre from musical theater to jazz to country to world music quoted in very surprising and original contexts with arcane lyrics suggesting totally new forms of speech. I cannot listen to rock stations anymore. Jazz is just ho hum (tho there are exceptions like Snarky Puppy), but for consistently engaging musical material my car radio is set to the local rap station and I am always amazed. Perhaps because it is the world’s most listened to music it is drawing the truly creative talents to manifest something cutting edge new. Yes, it is set in a kind of musical form with repeatable characteristics, but within that loopy trancelike beat every prior form seems to have an opportunity to be reborn. Stravinsky, Grand Opera, crude sexuality, I find it all somewhere or other in the unlimited buffet of rap. I can say unequivocally it is my go to form if I am looking for something fresh and unexpected.

Comments

• I dont really like rap though the production is always interesting and fresh compared with the new other stuff.

• Favourite thread title ever. I normally avoid talking about hip hop on forums because it tends to go weird but it is my anchor genre. I constantly venture deep into other sounds but I always come back to hip hop to reset my levels.

• @LinearLineman said:
    I posit the most diverse and original form of music today is rap music.

He's back!

Share a couple of HipHop tracks that catch your attention.

I haven't been paying any attention to new artists unless they make it to SNL or something leads me to a YouTube video. I think I've lost the desire to be a consumer and have no drive to be a producer.

I can use a good shake up... I suspect I'd like Childish Gambino's work if I did more than what that one video.

• +1 for Snarky Puppy

• Nicely written post. I started listening to it a lot less a few years ago due to mumble rap but now I'm all in once i realized not all of mumble rap is bad. Now I enjoy the direction that it's going.

• I can’t recommend going through Freddie Gibbs catalog enough. The man is consistently great.

I also really like Denzel Curry

• @McD said:
    Share a couple of HipHop tracks that catch your attention.

:+1:
    I'd like to hear these tracks too!

• edited January 2020

This is just a bit of fun but there’s enough here for some starters listening.

• I played this track more than any other in 2019. For me, it is getting back to the roots of hip hop and the power and creativity of community pride / protest music.

And it slams.

• I love hip hop. Of all the music and musicians who have influenced me (and I like nearly everything except country) no one has had a bigger impact on me than J Dilla

• Maybe Mike, you wanna try underground Soulful House.. Even to the Church Gospel level of music... I know, & become friends with people (Innya Day, Dawn Tallman, Dina Washington, Michele McCain, Cunnie Williams, Robert Owens)... In the USA who make this music.. it’s an small area of music that very underrated?.. Who I’ve worked with in the last few years... Just have listen.. Only a suggestion my friend... ;)

• @studs1966 said:
    Maybe Mike, you wanna try underground Soulful House.. Even to the Church Gospel level of music... I know, & become friends with people (Innya Day, Dawn Tallman, Dina Washington, Michele McCain, Cunnie Williams, Robert Owens)... In the USA who make this music.. it’s an small area of music that very underrated?.. Who I’ve worked with in the last few years... Just have listen.. Only a suggestion my friend... ;)

Ive also been blessed in becoming friends with them too...

• I can’t post any tracks, I never know who I am listening to. Actually wish I could reaccess a lot of what I hear... but it’s just like snowflakes... no two alike and they melt away. They grab my attention and make me feel good... or maybe engaged in the experience.

• edited January 2020

@gusgranite said:

This is handy. Thanks! Perfect timing too. I’ll be on the road for a six hour round trip tomorrow. I’m going to check out a few things from the instrumental section of the chart that I haven’t heard before.

• @LinearLineman said:
    but it’s just like snowflakes.

Yo' mama. (Sorry, topical humor).

• @bcrichards +1for Freddie Gibbs!!

I would also like to suggest “The Lost Boy” by YBN Cordae as my favorite rap album of the year. It’s really musical and accessible even if someone isn’t super into rap. Also “So Much Fun” by Young Thug as a great trap album from this year.

• Mainstream rap/trap is all crap today. But yes there is some really great hip hop being made but there is great music in all genres being made if you look hard enough. You aren't going to find anything interesting on commercial radio or Spotify playlists but it's out there. I listen to hip hop, metal, electronic music, ambient, prog and really anything that sounds good and I'm constantly discovering current artists that are putting out great, fresh music in all genres but I do have to put in the legwork to find it because most of it isn't being promoted heavily

• @gusgranite said:

That's a great infographic. I recommend 85% of the stuff left of Kendrick Lamar. Some really great albums there

• @rms13 said:
    Mainstream rap/trap is all crap today.

Come on. Not all mainstream rap.

You aren't going to find anything interesting on commercial radio or Spotify playlists but it's out there.

Nonsense. Kendrick Lamar is a perennial commercial list resident.

• Busdriver, MF Doom, Brother Ali, Deltron 3000 - awesome awesome awesome. Even though I spend a lot of time listening to the likes of Telefon Tel Aviv and Apparat I looooove some good hip hop from time to time :)

• But you don't recommend Kendrick Lamar!? :)
    That chart is nuts; it seems like the guy made it up as he went along. But it all definitely holds up. Never heard the Beat Konducta series; listening to Volumes 3 and 4 "In India" now. It's great.

For those who resist hip-hop, I find this Kendrick track breaks down the resistance of most of the "rap is crap" crowd. Just how he inverts the rhythm of the verse on the lines "look at my flaws, look at my imperfections and all" — basically making the meter imperfect — genius.

And A$AP Rocky's "1 Train" has to be one of the best collection of individual performances in the history of rap.

• edited January 2020

• @bcrichards said:
    I can’t recommend going through Freddie Gibbs catalog enough. The man is consistently great.

I also really like Denzel Curry

Freddie Gibbs is great. Thanks.

• Can’t listen to much modern hip hop but there is still good stuff out there. Always go back to the stuff I was raised on, hip hop when done right is transcendent of its constituent parts. Yes it might just be an 808 drum line over a Herbie Hancock loop but with the right MC, the right flow and the right word play? It can leave you shaking your head at just how perfect it all fits. Hip hop has built its own masterpieces from the ground up on the bones of what mainstream culture discarded. One of my faves.

• And sometimes it’s just plain fun!

• If I Rapped. Not like I can. It would be DnB obviously.

• Evil b and Eksman

• I actually havent listened to it all. Track at 3.00 though. If you ever went clubbing. You get in. Thats the tune.