Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Request new Mozaic Scripts *HERE*

Comments

• How about a Mozaic universal random preset selector?

I really like synths that offer a random function to skip through their presets. Unfortunately there are just a view apps that can do that.

I thought maybe Mozaic could be used to achieve something like it, that works universal with different synths.

I guess it would not be enough to just create random bank and program changes, for there are often different numbers of banks and programs. Maybe there is another way to do that.

Any ideas?

• @_ki said:
    @gregsmith

You mean by sending batches of notes with different velocities to get the effect of ever rising or falling ?

@OnMidiNote
      _base = MIDINote % 12
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 2*12  , 80
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 2*12+5, 90
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 3*12  , 95
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 3*12+5,100
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 4*12  ,100
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 4*12+5, 95
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 5*12  , 90
      SendMIDIOut MIDICommand, _base + 5*12+5, 80
    @End 

If one now plays c2,d2,e2,f2,g2,b2 and back to the original c2, you will get a constant rise, since c2 and c3 will produce an identical note/velocity combination

I hope i got that right, but from a short test mit bs-16‘s piano the trick seemed to work . Maybe one needs to choose better output notes or velocities.

Wow thanks! Should have a chance to try this later. Sounds like you’ve got the right idea :)

• edited December 2019

Here's an idea of a custom MIDI LFO for rhythmic modulations.
    It's not an urgent request but maybe someone else would find it useful.

Mozaic has a layout with ten faders and an X/Y pad.
    I would suggest using faders 1..8 to control segments of a freely adjustable LFO waveform.
    Fader 9 could control the smoothing amount between segments (for smoothing between all segments except when transitioning from seg8 back to seg1) and fader 10 could adjust the CC number sent so no code digging is necessary at all.
    Pad Y could control the modulation amplitude (Center=zero, up=positive amount, down=inverted curve amount) and pad X could control the beat-synced speed like 1/4, 1/4T, 1/4 dotted, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/8 dotted etc.

Variations/extensions:

• Using the SHIFT button, it might be possible to make the waveform 16 segments long and do even more sophisticated rhythmic modulations.
    • Fader 10, when set to max., could switch to MIDI notes mode and Pad Y would then adjust the base pitch instead of the amount. Useful for melodic pitch shifts with Discord 4, for example.
  • @rs2000 said:

I would suggest using faders 1..8 to control segments of a freely adjustable LFO waveform.
    Fader 9 could control the smoothing amount between segments (for smoothing between all segments except when transitioning from seg8 back to seg1) and fader 10 could adjust the CC number sent so no code digging is necessary at all.
    Pad Y could control the modulation amplitude (Center=zero, up=positive amount, down=inverted curve amount) and pad X could control the beat-synced speed like 1/4, 1/4T, 1/4 dotted, 1/8, 1/8T, 1/8 dotted etc.

Variations/extensions:

• Using the SHIFT button, it might be possible to make the waveform 16 segments long and do even more sophisticated rhythmic modulations.
    • Fader 10, when set to max., could switch to MIDI notes mode and Pad Y would then adjust the base pitch instead of the amount. Useful for melodic pitch shifts with Discord 4, for example.

Nicely done. That sounds like a winner.

• edited December 2019

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

Variations/extensions:

Thank you 😊
    Is Mozaic fast enough to build something like that? I don't have any experience with it.
    No matter if it's smooth or linear, the intermediate values between the segment points would have to be calculated live.

• @rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

Variations/extensions:

Thank you 😊
    Is Mozaic fast enough to build something like that? I don't have any experience with it.
    No matter if it's smooth or linear, the intermediate values between the segment points would have to be calculated live.

It should be plenty fast for that. It seems doable to me. I'd take it up, but I'm in the middle of another project that I'm trying to be disciplined enough to finish before getting distracted. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else takes this one up though.

• Is there an example of what such an LFO would be used for?

It appears you'd be designing a complex waveform and then rhythmically send it to some target as a CC stream of adjustments. What CC targets are typically used for such a rapidly changing parameter?

I'm asking out of pure ignorance regarding this type of sound design and hoping to get information and a pointers to video that might help me understand the uses and value for
    such a script.

I own a lot of apps... does Turnado have any of these features for example. I haven't explored it yet.

• @wim said:

@rs2000 said:

@wim said:

@rs2000 said:

Variations/extensions:

Thank you 😊

It should be plenty fast for that. It seems doable to me. I'd take it up, but I'm in the middle of another project that I'm trying to be disciplined enough to finish before getting distracted. I wouldn't be surprised if someone else takes this one up though.

Sounds cool! There's no reason to hurry. Thank you for even considering.

@McD said:
    Is there an example of what such an LFO would be used for?

It appears you'd be designing a complex waveform and then rhythmically send it to some target as a CC stream of adjustments. What CC targets are typically used for such a rapidly changing parameter?

Volume, pan, filter cutoff, bit reduction level, delay mix, reverb mix, ring modulation settings, and surely many others only limited by your creativity.

I'm asking out of pure ignorance regarding this type of sound design and hoping to get information and a pointers to video that might help me understand the uses and value for
    such a script.

I own a lot of apps... does Turnado have any of these features for example. I haven't explored it yet.

Yes it does, as does Effectrix to some (limited) extent.
    The main difference is that these won't control the effects of your choice and as we saw in a recent discussion about getting that "analog" sound, sometimes you just want to control your own favorite AUv3s, be it effects or synths.
    Wavetable-like effects from a conventional FM synth would be another example.

• edited December 2019

@rs2000 This idea sounds like the code would be similar to the script I've been writing, so I think I can make this, if I understand your idea correctly. I ended up adding features and optimizing my previous script, Microtonal Maker, for longer than I expected, but I think I could finish this one within the next week, because it's very similar the code I've been writing. The script I've been working on uses the XY pad to plot a series of points, similar to Animoog, Kaspar, or iProphet.

With your script, I'm going to add a feature: the LFO should be able to go from point 7 back to point 1, rather than jumping from point 8 to point 1. (Or from whichever # is the "last point", back to the first point.)

In terms of adding smoothness, perhaps you could select between using a RampUp and half of a Sine wave.

There are some other features that I could potentially add later on, as I add them to my XY pad script, such as MIDI one shot/loop, and Fwd/Rev/Back-and-forth options. Eventually, I'd like to create an "automation sequencer" where each step can be a differently-shaped modulation, similar to the pitch bend "performance" sequencer in SugarBytes' Thesys, or the sequencer in Factory. Or, each step can be a custom recording of XY pad automation.

So yeah, I'll make this. :)

• @Skyblazer said:
    @rs2000 This idea sounds like the code would be similar to the script I've been writing, so I think I can make this, if I understand your idea correctly. I ended up adding features and optimizing my previous script, Microtonal Maker, for longer than I expected, but I think I could finish this one within the next week, because it's very similar the code I've been writing. The script I've been working on uses the XY pad to plot a series of points, similar to Animoog, Kaspar, or iProphet.

With your script, I'm going to add a feature: the LFO should be able to go from point 7 back to point 1, rather than jumping from point 8 to point 1. (Or from whichever # is the "last point", back to the first point.)

In terms of adding smoothness, perhaps you could select between using a RampUp and half of a Sine wave.

There are some other features that I could potentially add later on, as I add them to my XY pad script, such as MIDI one shot/loop, and Fwd/Rev/Back-and-forth options. Eventually, I'd like to create an "automation sequencer" where each step can be a differently-shaped modulation, similar to the pitch bend "performance" sequencer in SugarBytes' Thesys, or the sequencer in Factory. Or, each step can be a custom recording of XY pad automation.

So yeah, I'll make this. :)

Outrageous!!
    I didn't expect anybody to put so many clear ideas on top. Wow.
    Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss any details.

• edited December 2019

Okay, @rs2000. Version 0.1 of "Rhythm CC" has been uploaded. :) If you have a different name in mind, I'm open to changing it.

https://patchstorage.com/rhythm-cc/

The interface is pretty simplistic, but it can be changed and improved over time. Maybe "Shift" can take you to the extra set of sliders, and then to a menu with more options, such as LFO type, and Channel and CC number. Currently, "Shift" switches to the sine LFO type, which adds that smoothness. And the XY pad just selects the channel and CC number...so I'll change that.

I used one of the sliders to visualize the position of the LFO, so I hope you like that design choice. I think it adds some personality. Perhaps the other slider on the page could select between banks of sliders, and the other options could be accessed using Shift. Currently, the other slider controls the rate (i.e. note division). Maybe the XY pad could be set to control any choice of parameters.

In addition to improving the layout, the next major thing I'll work on is the amplitude feature.

• Hi, @brambos, may I ask about state saving for Probability Gate in basic Mozaic scripts?
    I found it very useful for creating "talking" sequences when I can send first half of the melody from Rozeta to one synth and second half to another. When I doing that in AUM it's ok, but after loading old project all knobs in PG go back to 100%. As I see other scripts saves everything perfectly.

• edited December 2019

@Skyblazer said:
    Okay, @rs2000. Version 0.1 of "Rhythm CC" has been uploaded. :) If you have a different name in mind, I'm open to changing it.

The interface is pretty simplistic, but it can be changed and improved over time. Maybe "Shift" can take you to the extra set of sliders, and then to a menu with more options, such as LFO type, and Channel and CC number. Currently, "Shift" switches to the sine LFO type, which adds that smoothness. And the XY pad just selects the channel and CC number...so I'll change that.

I used one of the sliders to visualize the position of the LFO, so I hope you like that design choice. I think it adds some personality. Perhaps the other slider on the page could select between banks of sliders, and the other options could be accessed using Shift. Currently, the other slider controls the rate (i.e. note division). Maybe the XY pad could be set to control any choice of parameters.

In addition to improving the layout, the next major thing I'll work on is the amplitude feature.

Wow, well done man!!
    Any idea how to let the LFO start in sync with the DAW (or apeMatrix/AUM) and sync (i.e. re-start) with every bar?

Edit: Ha, I've just found @OnNewBeat and @OnNewBar 😁

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@lazyass said:
    Hi, @brambos, may I ask about state saving for Probability Gate in basic Mozaic scripts?
    I found it very useful for creating "talking" sequences when I can send first half of the melody from Rozeta to one synth and second half to another. When I doing that in AUM it's ok, but after loading old project all knobs in PG go back to 100%. As I see other scripts saves everything perfectly.

Hi @lazyass, this is more a question for the person who wrote the script than for @brambos. Mozaic automatically saves the state of every knob and variable. However, script writers usually initialize variables when the script loads since using them when they're not initialized can cause script errors. There is a way to initialize only select variables when a script is being re-loaded as opposed to being loaded from scratch. If the script writer doesn't do this, then the state-saving won't work.

It's an easy fix, and anyone can produce a fixed version, but it's best done by the script writer so that the posted version has the fix. The script writer is @Bryan.

But, if you want to shortcut that process, it's just a matter of moving three lines of the code below into the "if Unassigned probability" line.

SetKnobValue 0, 64
      SetKnobValue 2, 0
      SetKnobValue 3, 0   

The resulting script would be like this, but you could delete the original three lines, which are still shown for clarity.

@OnLoad

SetShortName {P Gate} 

ShowLayout 4

Call @KnobNames

// Move these three lines under the if Unassigned probability line
      // SetKnobValue 0, 64
      // SetKnobValue 2, 0
      // SetKnobValue 3, 0   

if Unassigned probability
        //Like this
        SetKnobValue 0, 64
        SetKnobValue 2, 0
        SetKnobValue 3, 0   

probability = 50
        onRepeat = 1
        offRepeat = 1
        noteOn = 0
        noteOff = 0
        onCount = 0
        offCount = 0
      endif

@End

• This "saved state" issue has another wrinkle.

I like to use 2-3 instances of a given script. Every time I quit a script instance it's local values
    most be saved as the start-up instance. I think I need to make multiple named scripts with "1,2,3" extensions to really save an AUM project. If AUM generates saved instances of multiple script instances then this is not an issue.

Anyone have the bandwidth to weigh in on this state saving detail in practice.

We really should have more Mosaic threads than just the 2 that are currently active, IMHO.

• @McD said:
    This "saved state" issue has another wrinkle.

I like to use 2-3 instances of a given script. Every time I quit a script instance it's local values
    most be saved as the start-up instance. I think I need to make multiple named scripts with "1,2,3" extensions to really save an AUM project. If AUM generates saved instances of multiple script instances then this is not an issue.

Anyone have the bandwidth to weigh in on this state saving detail in practice.

We really should have more Mosaic threads than just the 2 that are currently active, IMHO.

I routinely use multiple copies of the same Mozaic plugin and each instance saves its own state and isn't confused by the states of other instances of the same script. I don't use any global variables in such scripts. If one uses global variables, one has to be careful not to "contaminate" one's other global-using scripts.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I routinely use multiple copies of the same Mozaic plugin and each instance saves its own state and isn't confused by the states of other instances of the same script.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess the DAW manages the specific state file for each instance. I wonder what might be the best way to pass an instance from DAW to DAW.
    Set a specific set of knobs in AUM and then involve that instance in Cubasis for example.

Anyone test that use case? I assumed sing the Save button in the GUI would make the Mosaic app generate the most recent "save" in this case. But I cold again be off base.

• @McD said:

@espiegel123 said:
    I routinely use multiple copies of the same Mozaic plugin and each instance saves its own state and isn't confused by the states of other instances of the same script.

Thank you for the clarification. I guess the DAW manages the specific state file for each instance. I wonder what might be the best way to pass an instance from DAW to DAW.
    Set a specific set of knobs in AUM and then involve that instance in Cubasis for example.

Anyone test that use case? I assumed sing the Save button in the GUI would make the Mosaic app generate the most recent "save" in this case. But I cold again be off base.

I've not done any testing to see if anything other than the script is saved when you use the Save button.

• @rs2000 said:

@Skyblazer said:

Wow, well done man!!
    Any idea how to let the LFO start in sync with the DAW (or apeMatrix/AUM) and sync (i.e. re-start) with every bar?

Glad you're liking it so far. I just changed "Shift" to access an options menu, moved the CC and channel sliders to that menu, and I added two sliders on that page. One slider prepares the sequence to resync on the next bar or beat, and the other slider controls whether it will resync on the next bar or on the next beat. You can see the new changes in the PatchStorage screenshot.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@McD said:

@espiegel123 said:

When you press "Save" to save a script, it saves all the variable states at that time. So, if you saved a script with a bunch of settings, then loaded that script in another host, it would be in the same state. (Provided you follow best-practices and only initialize variables that should be reset every time in the OnLoad event). Of course, you'd want to give the script a different name to avoid overwriting your clean script.

This has a downside if you're not careful. Before saving a script that you want in a clean-initialized state, you always need to press the upload button. Failure to do so will result in unexpected results.

It would be nice if Mozaic had a Preset Management function separate from the Script Save function, though.

• @wim said:
    It would be nice if Mozaic had a Preset Management function separate from the Script Save function, though.

+1.

This tip about importing Zip files to get sub-directories sounds promising. Buttons to make
    sub-folders would be nice as well.

It's one of those app purchases that just keeps returning value the longer you own it and the more you use it.

And it's a fun time sync to help you from buying more useless apps you never use much.

• @Skyblazer said:

@rs2000 said:

@Skyblazer said:

Wow, well done man!!

Glad you're liking it so far. I just changed "Shift" to access an options menu, moved the CC and channel sliders to that menu, and I added two sliders on that page. One slider prepares the sequence to resync on the next bar or beat, and the other slider controls whether it will resync on the next bar or on the next beat. You can see the new changes in the PatchStorage screenshot.

I love the new settings mode by using sliders ❤️
    There's only one niggle: Once enabled, the SYNC slider will quickly disable itself....

• edited January 2020

That's by design, but I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it. Maybe the Bar/Beat switch could be changed to have four positions, one for each beat, with the bottom position being for resync on new bar. Then you'd still be able to resync it to a different beat without manually sliding the Sync slider down and back up. That seems like the obvious choice in retrospect, but at the time, I struggled to figure out a good design.

For the time being, just in case you didn't realize...it's not going out of sync when it disables itself, it's just not resyncing to the same beat every time you change the "rate" slider. But I'll make it do that. Glad you're loving the new settings menu.

• edited January 2020

@Skyblazer said:
    That's by design, but I'm open to suggestions on how to improve it. Maybe the Bar/Beat switch could be changed to have four positions, one for each beat, with the bottom position being for resync on new bar. Then you'd still be able to resync it to a different beat without manually sliding the Sync slider down and back up. That seems like the obvious choice in retrospect, but at the time, I struggled to figure out a good design.

For the time being, just in case you didn't realize...it's not going out of sync when it disables itself, it's just not resyncing to the same beat every time you change the "rate" slider. But I'll make it do that. Glad you're loving the new settings menu.

Cool!
    I've got my greenhorn hands on it and commented out these two lines in the @Resync section:
    //Resync = False
    //SyncSlider = 0

That does it, except I can't disable the beat/bar-syncing anymore 😅

Edit: The idea behind bar/beat sync is to create rhythmic patterns that always stay in sync. For now, I think that the bar and beat options should suffice.
    What I'd appreciate though is to have a third, hard-stepped transition in addition to the Ramp and Sine options.

• SCRIPT REQUEST: "Slow This MIDI Down" script.

On another thread, folks on the forum are requesting lowering BPM's below 20: Most likely for ambient soundscaping and not EDM.

Can someone make a Mosaic script that buffers up a MIDI stream (saving the relative timing relationships) and output those events at a settable fraction of the input BPM... forget the MIDI clock issues but just convert the note stream to some fractional speed of release.

Maybe: When the buffer gets full... stop saving input and restart buffering after flushing out some amount of input.

• Greetings!

I‘ve investigated clip play (Launchpad style) on iOS, but there seems to be no satisfying solution, yet (Please don‘t referr to Modstep, LK, etc).

I might have overlooked something in the patchstorage(?)...so I was thinking about this idea to have a Mozaic script, allowing to send to its virtual pads (8-16-64) which then are activated/muted with the common quantization settings (1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 1 Bar, 2 Bars, 3 Bars, 4 Bars etc) and pass the signal to a DAW or AUM.

This would allow to “play“ longer samples, tracks by pads or keys in the DAW and/or record them in a piano roll.

Closest seems to be this remapping script, so far: https://patchstorage.com/remap-multi-channel-midi-drums/

An update to this script could make all this possible :-)

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2020

@Jay Zen
    I don‘t know if i understood your idea correctly. The Remap script doesn‘t store or generate any midi by itself. It just exchanges the notes and midi channel of incomming events.

Clip Play needs ‚clips of midi data‘ that are played back when a pad is pressed - this is totally different from what the scipt does.

There are already several sequencer for Mozaic, i think some of them even offer different ‚clips‘ or scenes to be selected via automation. And there are scripts that can trigger these selection commands via pads.

For beat synced chanel mutes you can use the ‚Toggle Channels on Bar Divisions‘ script. But that script also works on incomming data, so the clips need to be stored elesewhere and need to be send on different midi channels to the ‚TCoBD‘ script.

=> For a better overview over the more than 115 patchstorage Mozaic scripts use the categorized list at the wiki: https://wiki.audiob.us/mozaic_plugin_engine

• edited January 2020

Not talking about anything stored on the pads, they should just represent the midi channels and those would be then be activated/deactivated incl. quantization...

Of course, the pads themselves could be touched, too, resulting in activation, reactivation, muting.

• @Jay Zen Muting/Unmuting of midi channels in sync to the host timing is what „Toggle Channels on Bar Divisions“ does. The current minimal timing is 1 bar, but i have already done other scripts with smaller toggle divisions.

You can try TCoBD in ‚Immediate Mode‘ where no beat division is applied (but hold notes are cut when a channel is muted as expected) - change to this mode on the HELP view.

If i now understand you correctly its just the 1/32,1/16,1/8,1/4,1/2 bar timings and automation (perhaps via CCs ?) that is missing from the TCoBD. You already can automate the pads using the AU pad 0 to pad15 parameters. I just checked, sending a note then toggles a pads state.

• Thanks for the detailed heads up, I‘ll check on this ASAP. Seriously, we‘re just talking in a FB thread about the high demand on midi note clip play and all this.