Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Pure Acid by Jim Audio!!! This is the best news ever!!!

Comments

• @gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

@lovadamusic said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:
    All the Apps on sale more then 50% discount!!!! PA too. What a Christmas!!!!
    I have now all of them...but they are few, would like they be more :-)
    Thanks so much @jimpavloff Enjoy these Holidays

I can only get one. Should i get GR-16 OR Pure Acid?

I’m kinda new to this way of making music, but GR-16 is a 16-track type of music studio where you can make entire compositions and arrangements of patterns in many music styles using both sound synthesis and triggering its library of samples or your own. With Pure Acid, it’s easy to make very cool 2-track patterns of synth and drums in basically one genre. Which do you want more?

This and what other people said before, is the truth...I suggested so heavily PA because I was stunned by its easy of use, nevertheless GR-16 is way more complete, but every time I start to use it I find a sort of wall in front of me: my bad, I know, if you are talented, GR-16 could be really great as I've seen in a lot of demos around

Thanks! I ended up getting GR-16 and regret it. Mainly cause i'm having a hard time comprehending the interface and couldn't be less interested in the type of music I hear from the presets. I tried getting a refund but Apple would'nt allow it. So I'll spend a little more time with it and see what i can do. I can appreciate what it may be capable of, but I get the feeling I'll have to work really hard to coax stuff out of it for my own projects. Kinda wish I chose PA instead. I have TRK-01 on my desktop which produces beats more in line with what I do. Guess its a genre skew for me :) I'm not intending any criticism of GR-16, in fact I respect greatly what has gone into it!

Have you read the GR-16 manual? If not , it is well worth doing. GR-16 can be used for a wide variety of styles not just those demoed by the presets. The u.i. is a little confusing without the manual's guidance. The wavetable synth and beat slicer are a bit deeper than is obvious from the manual. There are links to videos and some tips and tricks in the Audiobus wiki.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

@lovadamusic said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

I’m kinda new to this way of making music, but GR-16 is a 16-track type of music studio where you can make entire compositions and arrangements of patterns in many music styles using both sound synthesis and triggering its library of samples or your own. With Pure Acid, it’s easy to make very cool 2-track patterns of synth and drums in basically one genre. Which do you want more?

This and what other people said before, is the truth...I suggested so heavily PA because I was stunned by its easy of use, nevertheless GR-16 is way more complete, but every time I start to use it I find a sort of wall in front of me: my bad, I know, if you are talented, GR-16 could be really great as I've seen in a lot of demos around

Thanks! I ended up getting GR-16 and regret it. Mainly cause i'm having a hard time comprehending the interface and couldn't be less interested in the type of music I hear from the presets. I tried getting a refund but Apple would'nt allow it. So I'll spend a little more time with it and see what i can do. I can appreciate what it may be capable of, but I get the feeling I'll have to work really hard to coax stuff out of it for my own projects. Kinda wish I chose PA instead. I have TRK-01 on my desktop which produces beats more in line with what I do. Guess its a genre skew for me :) I'm not intending any criticism of GR-16, in fact I respect greatly what has gone into it!

Have you read the GR-16 manual? If not , it is well worth doing. GR-16 can be used for a wide variety of styles not just those demoed by the presets. The u.i. is a little confusing without the manual's guidance. The wavetable synth and beat slicer are a bit deeper than is obvious from the manual. There are links to videos and some tips and tricks in the Audiobus wiki.

Thanks. Appreciate that... I did watch a couple videos. Watching another now.

• @espiegel123 said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

@lovadamusic said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

I'd also recommend watching some video tutorials on the Electribe 2 series. GR-16 was heavily inspired by the UX from that device and then improved upon it.

I found that watching the ambient tutorials for the Electribe 2 and 2S helped me a lot in getting to non-techno music from the ElectrIbes / GR-16. Not really for doing ambient stuff, just not the hard-tech, hard acid stuff that it is famous for.

• Picked this up last night. This is really very intuitive. More so than anticipated. I watched Jacob’s video to get started... then another half hour or so with it this morning and I think I’ve just about got it down without having to crack a manual at all!

One question, can you record/automate the effects and dials like you can in GR16?

• @gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

@lovadamusic said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

Just a reminder that the developer is financially penalized by Apple when you refund an app. It is best to watch YouTube videos first to get an idea of what you’re buying. GR-16 and PA are very different apps.

• @gusgranite said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

@lovadamusic said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

Just a reminder that the developer is financially penalized by Apple when you refund an app. It is best to watch YouTube videos first to get an idea of what you’re buying. GR-16 and PA are very different apps.

Very good advice! Didn't know about the developer penalty. Next time I'll remember to watch some vids first !

• edited December 2019

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

@lovadamusic said:

@gkillmaster said:

@Sinthemau said:

I initially thought similar about GR16, but stick with it... once you start playing with your own samples and figure out the interface (agreed, it isn’t that intuitive, but it has its own logic that makes since once you get that a-ha moment) it’ll really open up more.

I wasn’t wild about the style of presets either, but you can do all kinds of interesting stuff with it after you figure out the interface.

Bought Pure Acid last night and it’s definitely easier and more intuitive to figure out. But I’m glad I have both. GR is interesting for more experimental stuff using your own samples. I just have to refer to the manual for a refresher if I haven’t used it in awhile.

If you stick with it I bet later you’ll be glad you have it.

• edited December 2019

Woah, this is a great video that is changing my feelings about GR-16:

Oops, sorry to hijack on the PA thread!

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@LucidMusicInc said:
    PA is more successful than GR16 ...

I'm curious what has led you to this conclusion and what type of success you're referring to?

• Is it possible to transpose the Bass via midi in in real-time?

• Is it possible to automate parameters using the sequencer? (Not using MIDI CCs - like Elektron parameter locks or Korg motion sequencing).

Thanks!

• @gkillmaster ... it took me awhile to get into GR-16 but I have since found it to be my favorite app. Doug’s videos @thesoundtestroom really set me on the straight path with it.

• GR-16 needs a sequence randomizer.
    A patch randomizer would also be great.

• Pure Acid is better for instant gratification. I couldn’t make much sense of GR-16 at first because I had almost no experience with Groove Boxes - (I believe is the correct term.) I think the reason for it being less than optimal, intuitively, is that it packs so much functionality on basically one screen.

I tend to know a lot about an app before I buy it, but the sound of GR-16 intrigued me. The manual and videos cleared things up. If you can invest the time, there’s much to be learned from the patterns that come with the app. I like many of the them, but whether you’re into the music or not, the sounds are nicely crafted, and the power of the app is well demonstrated.

• edited December 2019

@wim said:

@LucidMusicInc said:
    PA is more successful than GR16 ...

I'm curious what has led you to this conclusion and what type of success you're referring to?

A good question. For another time!

• Is there any way to restrict number of generated notes in the sequencer?

• edited December 2019

@lovadamusic said:
    Pure Acid is better for instant gratification. I couldn’t make much sense of GR-16 at first because I had almost no experience with Groove Boxes - (I believe is the correct term.) I think the reason for it being less than optimal, intuitively, is that it packs so much functionality on basically one screen.

And this is both a pro and a con.

Obviously many people love the groovebox style UI/UX. I personally can’t get on with it. I find it artificially complicates life by restricting you to the limitations of a hardware device.

It has a remarkable depth of attention to all the wrong details for my preference.

If you like the idea of a fake scroll wheel/LCD and shift key system and/or love the way hardware grooveboxes work its really good.

Personally, I can’t get past the fake hardware paradigm and it drives me nuts.

If I want the kind of sounds GR is best at there’s already a ready made alternative; Poison 202.

With Poison and PA I can make my own groovebox in AUM if I want or I can just use them in my DAW of choice. Perfect.

I’m not complaining about GR/16, it’s just not the kind of app I enjoy using. If you are as (irrationally?) opposed to fake scroll wheels as I am steer clear. Most people seem to love it and that’s cool too.

It’s a subjective opinion. GR-16 is an example of a very well made app that isn’t made for me. I do know how to use it. I just don’t enjoy the experience. At all. But I don’t like saxophones, country and western or r&b either. :-)

Pa works for me because I can use it with other apps very easily. It’s nowhere near as complex in terms of UX as GR16 and I can bypass the bits I don’t like in the UI by using it hosted as an auv3.

• edited December 2019

I bought this despite not wanting to create the acid sound at all, and it's a very good app, never had to read the manual so far, very easy going :) Still hope that midi out from AU might get added and would love more waveforms, but it's highly playable fun and easy to create and switch patterns/ automate params etc.

• @Carnbot said:
    Is there any way to restrict number of generated notes in the sequencer?

No, but you can use the "Notes & Rests" option to get fewer notes. I just go in an tap where I want to remove notes, then hit the Rest button. You can always restore the notes by tapping the Note button.

• @klownshed said:

snip....snip

If I want the kind of sounds GR is best at there’s already a ready made alternative; Poison 202.

snip....snip

Everyone has their own preferences, but I'd like to mention (for anyone that comes upon this and is trying to assess the apps) that Poison 202 is NOT capable of creating all the types of sounds possible in GR-16. GR-16 has several audio 'engines' for different types of sound creation and the Poison engine is just one of them. It also has a wavetable synth that can use SERUM format wavetables (a very different sort of thing from Poison), sampler playback, and a beat slicer.

The beat slicer is quite fun. Sure, there are other beat slicers out there. The nice thing about GR-16 is a compact interface CPU-efficient engine

Not saying that it should be your cup of tea, but others shouldn't get the impression that Poison can replicate all the sounds that GR-16 can create.

• I really like PA although the 303 is not toooo accurate.Yes,It sounds good so far but a little static and the parameter ranges are a little "exagerated".But it sounds better than Troublemaker imo.

ABL3 is still the king for software 303 but it's great to have a more or less authentic Acid experience as AU nonetheless.

And the drums are really good,combined with waves audiotrack in Cubasis gave me rmassively kicking results :)

• I would really live to see a video of the Bass sequencer putting out less acid type bass sounds or grooves? Or is this something that is more user configurable?

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@Tones4Christ said:
    I would really live to see a video of the Bass sequencer putting out less acid type bass sounds or grooves? Or is this something that is more user configurable?

if you turn down the resonance, envelope, and decay, then keep the cutoff at fairly low levels, you get a pretty static bass sound that doesn't sound too acidy. But it's never going to be much like other bass synths.

The sequencer can put out any kind of groove you program into it. You don't have to use the composer. Just record any old bass groove into it. Turn off slides to get further away from acid sounding grooves.

That is ... if you get a kick out of hammering square pegs into round holes.

• @wim said:

@Carnbot said:
    Is there any way to restrict number of generated notes in the sequencer?

No, but you can use the "Notes & Rests" option to get fewer notes. I just go in an tap where I want to remove notes, then hit the Rest button. You can always restore the notes by tapping the Note button.

Thanks, that’s a good tip :)

• Stop trying to make it sound like any other analogue synth, and make/take some Pure Acid with it

• Pure Acid is the best iOS app ever created.

Feature request:
    If possible, can we get a random beat generator where we can select the type of beat (4/4, break, drop, fill, build etc.) similar to the way we choose the type of pattern to be generated for the synth.

• @jolico said:
    Pure Acid is the best iOS app ever created.

Feature request:
    If possible, can we get a random beat generator where we can select the type of beat (4/4, break, drop, fill, build etc.) similar to the way we choose the type of pattern to be generated for the synth.

Yes please!

• @jolico said:
    Pure Acid is the best iOS app ever created.

Feature request:

Hahaha.
    I spent around 20 minutes trying to find a beat randomizer in PA.
    Kinda weird that there isn’t one, since the Bassline randomizer is so good.

Oh well, Midi In for now.

• Now that’s an update I would be happy to pay for 🤔😀..... and maybe automation as well? Wouldn’t that just top it all off? ❤️
    I would even pay more than the app actually cost for this.....

• To Pure Acid users (a hidden tip):
    did you know, that holding down the Step Edit button in the Drums section, you will be able to edit additional 16 steps (backbeats)? Backbeats are steps which shifted forward by a half step between the main 16 steps.