Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beatmaker 3 Tips, Tricks and Questions

I am new to using BM3 and am probably not the only figuring things out. I am hoping this thread can be a go to place for people to share knowledge -- which will hopefully make its way into the wiki.

Here is my first question: is there a way to change the granularity of the gridline display when editing audio and slicing. It seems like in bars/beats mode, the gridlines are restricted to eighth notes. I was hoping that when zooming in one might be able to have more closely spaced gridlines. Is there some setting that I am overlooking?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @StudioES said:
    Have you tried it with Snap to Grid turned off (or instead, use Snap to Zero)?
    Or even easier - Auto-Slice to Grid using a finer resolution (up to 1/64) & then fine-tune slice start/end points.

Do these give you different grid lines? They don’t for me. My question is related to the displayed gridlines. They are useful sometimes as a visual reference. Auto-slicing or changing the snap type doesn't solve the issue I am trying hoping to address.

So, I gather the answer to my question is “No, the grid display resolution can’t be changed.”

But yes, it would be nice if zooming-in further increased the Grid rez.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2019

@espiegel123 said:

Here is my first question: is there a way to change the granularity of the gridline display when editing audio and slicing. It seems like in bars/beats mode, the gridlines are restricted to eighth notes. I was hoping that when zooming in one might be able to have more closely spaced gridlines. Is there some setting that I am overlooking?

Go into the edit window by tapping EDIT so that the sample consumes the entire width of your screen (i.e. you don’t see the pads to the left of it). Once there, you see 1/8 notes grid lines above and overlayed over the sample, and granular gridlines just below the sample when zooming in.
    Just below it so that presumably they, the gridlines, don’t mess with the sample amplitude line. Works for me.

Enter the edit window by pressing ’edit’ just below the sample on the left side, next to where it says ‘zero snap’

• Press here in song mode (the mode that looks like a regular DAW timeline), and it will show you a list of the patterns you recorded in scene view:

Drag and drop them to the timeline.

There’s a lot of hidden stuff like this in BM3, which is annoying to begin with, but makes using it very fast when you learn the tricks.

• Here’s another one. In the sample screen, tap the Polyphony button, and choose Legato. Then, trigger the sample in the Keys section of the 4x4 grid of pads.

Instead of a keypress “retriggering” the sample as usual, the sample will continue, but will switch to the pitch of the key you press. This is great on longer samples. It’s in-tune pitch-shifting, on the fly.

• edited December 2019

@mistercharlie said:
    Press here in song mode (the mode that looks like a regular DAW timeline), and it will show you a list of the patterns you recorded in scene view:

Drag and drop them to the timeline.

There’s a lot of hidden stuff like this in BM3, which is annoying to begin with, but makes using it very fast when you learn the tricks.

Yes, that's very useful. It works the same vice-versa, i.e. it shows the patterns recorded in song mode, while you're in scene mode, drag-and-drop etc.

• Sorry for the surely silly question:

When iPad screen off timer come in, BM3 stops all: not the same behavior of other Apps. I haven'found nothing to set in the settings of BM3.
    So do I need to turn off the scrren off timer in iPad settings or is there some BM3 setting I cannnot see?

Pardon me: I'm just a starter in iOS music world

• IPad Settings for screen sleep timer, BM3 settings for “background audio.”

• @mistercharlie said:
    IPad Settings for screen sleep timer, BM3 settings for “background audio.”

Yes, I have BM3 settings for “background audio” ON, but IPad screen settings are always effective.
    With other Apps, their own settings override anytime the screen sleep.

So I think that BM3 cannot override them...Did I understand?

• Something to keep in mind, whether you are arranging on the linear timeline or not, you are always going to have patterns, which are automatically placed in the current scene, if you don’t create any new scenes, then it’s just scene 1. That top left panel previously mentioned will allow you to see the patterns for the current bank, start/stop those patterns, and either play the linear song timeline or play the scene. So you have patterns for a single pad, organized into patterns for the bank, which are organized into the current scene, and either individual patterns or a whole scene can be placed on the song timeline. So you never really need to worry about working in one “mode” or the other. Everything feeds into everything else but you can work in whatever view works for you. It’s a bit confusing at first, but it’s there to ultimately make things easier

• @bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

Go into the edit window by tapping EDIT so that the sample consumes the entire width of your screen (i.e. you don’t see the pads to the left of it). Once there, you see 1/8 notes grid lines above and overlayed over the sample, and granular gridlines just below the sample when zooming in.
    Just below it so that presumably they, the gridlines, don’t mess with the sample amplitude line. Works for me.

Enter the edit window by pressing ’edit’ just below the sample on the left side, next to where it says ‘zero snap’

Hi, Thanks for responding.

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my question, The question is can one have beat-based gridlines closer together than eighth notes.

It sounds like the answer is no. Whether in the Edit screen or the other it seems that if you zoom in eight note gridlines is as close as you can get. I was asking if there is a way to get finer gradations when you zoom in.

• edited December 2019

@espiegel123 said:

@bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

Maybe I wasn’t clear in my question, The question is can one have beat-based gridlines closer together than eighth notes.

It sounds like the answer is no. Whether in the Edit screen or the other it seems that if you zoom in eight note gridlines is as close as you can get. I was asking if there is a way to get finer gradations when you zoom in.

It's probably me who misunderstands; so, here goes a Pic of what I think your looking for.

I'm zoomed into a single cycle of a single piano note; Max zoom. The vertical red line marks the 1/8 gridline that is overlayed on top of the sample. The horizontal red elipse marks the finest gridlines I can see at this zoom level; they're not overlayed on top of the sample, but close enough for me to see, and for me works better than having them on top of the wave.

• @bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

It's probably me who misunderstands; so, here goes a Pic of what I think your looking for.

I'm zoomed into a single cycle of a single piano note; Max zoom. The vertical red line marks the 1/8 gridline that is overlayed on top of the sample. The horizontal red elipse marks the finest gridlines I can see at this zoom level; they're not overlayed on top of the sample, but close enough for me to see, and for me works better than having them on top of the wave.

Those lines below are seconds. So, they aren’t musically significant. I was hoping for musically meaningful divisions finer than an eighth note when zoomed in. It seems like it’s not possible to see a finer division than an eighth note.

• Question: is there a way to route incoming MIDI so that the MIDI channel determines which bank the notes are sent to? I read the MIDI routing section but may have overlooked a way to do this. For example, I’d like to notes on channel 1 to be sent to bank 1 and midi channel 2 to bank 2.

Answer: yes, it is possible. It is documented in the chapter about using external midi controllers (https://intua.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/210181406-Using-external-MIDI-controllers-and-instruments)

• @espiegel123 said:

@bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

I found that by changing the tempo of the sample itself you can zoom in closer
    that's if the sample has a tempo set and Live stretch is on.

Screenshots

Sample with original grid line and tempo

Sample with tempo doubled.
    As you can see the grid line is now much closer.

• @espiegel123 said:
    I am new to using BM3 and am probably not the only figuring things out. I am hoping this thread can be a go to place for people to share knowledge -- which will hopefully make its way into the wiki.

Great Thread! Compliments for having created this: I will learn a lot, possibly I will share my findings too.
    Cheers

• @espiegel123 said:

@bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

@bato said:

@espiegel123 said:

Those lines below are seconds. So, they aren’t musically significant. I was hoping for musically meaningful divisions finer than an eighth note when zoomed in. It seems like it’s not possible to see a finer division than an eighth note.

:-) now I get it. Sorry to not read/understand your request properly.

I work with time mainly, so I just presumed what works for me... :-);
    yes, I know it's weird working with time on a beat maker, but I'm trying to break into new horizons.

• I just found a great use for BeatMaker: keeping notes as I work on a song where I am generating lots of little snippets ideas.

The pads of a bank are great places to stow audio recordings that you want to quickly audition. And if I want random access to parts inside the audio files, I put slice markers. Each bank is sort of a catalog with each pad being something I am cataloging.

I probably will use another app for the tracking (probably Auria Pro). But during this early exploratory phase I am finding BM3 to be super handy for something I never imagined I’d use it for.