Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• @MobileMusic said:

Yes I see that. But I don’t see a way to bring in presets from old SM1 that did not have cloud sync. My old presets are in Google Drive and Open In... does not work.

I will make sure presets can be opened/copied over to the presets folder in that workflow. No worries.

• @MobileMusic said:
    Yes I see that. But I don’t see a way to bring in presets from old SM1 that did not have cloud sync. My old presets are in Google Drive and Open In... does not work.

Drag-n-drop preset file from Files App on to the preset name on the top header should load the preset. Could you try that?

I'll also copy the dropped file to the presets folder, in the next build.

• I have the same major problem with the beta on both of my iPads (2018 iPad Pro 12 and iPad Air 2) which is that is generally unresponsive, for example:

• if I click to launch the Load Preset dialog then its not possible to click on any of the actions within that dialog - its unresponsive all the time
    • if I launch the preset browser then sometimes its totally unresponsive, same as the Load Preset dialog. But then load it another time and then it is possible to select a preset, though very laggy.
    • sometimes after loading a preset the entire main screen locks up and becomes unresponsive to touch anywhere
  • @kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:

Drag-n-drop preset file from Files App on to the preset name on the top header should load the preset. Could you try that?

I’m having the same problem on my iPhone (IPhone 8 plus with iOS 13).

Open in doesn’t work.

And I believe that on iPhones drag and drop from the files app isn’t possible.

What I’d really like to be able to do is load in my own wavetables on the iPhone. Is that going to be possible?

And also viewing the wavetable as you move the index point? (Like on the iPad).

Great beta so far though... couldn’t find any other issues so far.

One last thing actually... there are 1000 parameters exposed to NanoStudio 2 when used as an AU. Perhaps it might be possible to organise these so that the most useful ones for modulation are in the first 100?

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:

Open in doesn’t work.

What I’d really like to be able to do is load in my own wavetables on the iPhone. Is that going to be possible?

One last thing actually... there are 1000 parameters exposed to NanoStudio 2 when used as an AU. Perhaps it might be possible to organise these so that the most useful ones for modulation are in the first 100?

Drag-n-drop on iPhone is possible but may be tricky
    (I couldn't make it work as per these videos as drag mode is getting canceled on switching from Files to SM1)

https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+and+drop+files+iphone&tbm=vid

Current implementation allows us to sync our own presets across our devices and download public presets.

@kv331audio_bulent Is there an option to choose which public presets are downloaded?

Open In... would be nice if we find some cool presets online, we could tap on them and choose Open In... (the few apps displayed in the dialog does have SM1)

• edited December 2019

@kv331audio_bulent in the AUv3 clicking on the instrument type list is cumulative, whereas on the standalone you select one type at a time, tapping a new type unselects the previous one..(which is my preference). is this a bug in the AU or by design?

• @realdawei said:
    @kv331audio_bulent in the AUv3 clicking on the instrument type list is cumulative, whereas on the standalone you select one type at a time, tapping a new type unselects the previous one..(which is my preference). is this a bug in the AU or by design?

That's a bug. will be fixed in the next update (this weekend)

@realdawei said:

That's a bug. will be fixed in the next update (this weekend)

Awesome looking forward to it

• edited December 2019

@kv331audio_bulent AU doesn't load inside GB on iPhone. Says:

AU Extension quit unexpectedly.
    Tap Reload to reload or Disable to disable extension.

On iPad as AU, Keyboard X and Y Axis settings are lost on closing the keyboard and reopening it. These should be persisted.

As the app is not responsive to taps, scrolling is uncontrollable in Browser (like it was initially).

Also, would be helpful if version number is shown in Settings in AU so we know it is using the correct version.

• edited December 2019

• @kv331audio_bulent Whatever happened to @brice ‘s presets that he said were ready months ago?

• @MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent Whatever happened to @brice ‘s presets that he said were ready months ago?

I have no idea, haven't heard from him.

• edited December 2019

@MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent Whatever happened to @brice ‘s presets that he said were ready months ago?

He said they were ready? Months ago? He’s an idiot. They’re not. He was waiting on that update which would make syncing presets and Wavetables between iOS and desktop a seamless process. Did that update ever happen?? I haven’t been in the loop so I’m clueless. I mean, he’s clueless.

*Just so we’re clear I’m calling myself an idiot in the above statement.

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:

I have no idea, haven't heard from him.

• @brice said:
    He said they were ready? Months ago? He’s an idiot. They’re not. He was waiting on that update which would make syncing presets and Wavetables between iOS and desktop a seamless process. Did that update ever happen?? I haven’t been in the loop so I’m clueless. I mean, he’s clueless.

Hi Brice,

Great to hear from you. The beta is on testflight:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/9arSp29l

• @kv331audio_bulent Inertial scrolling seems way off, there’s a noticeable difference from the regular iOS behavior

• @jipumarino said:
    @kv331audio_bulent Inertial scrolling seems way off, there’s a noticeable difference from the regular iOS behavior

I know, I believe I fixed it for good. Will be in the next build.

• So awesome ! I love this mega synth! Beautiful sounds all the way!

@brice said:

Hi Brice,

Great to hear from you. The beta is on testflight:

https://testflight.apple.com/join/9arSp29l

Oh fantastic. Before I install it, will it wipe out my current user presets in the current release version?

• @brice said:
    Oh fantastic. Before I install it, will it wipe out my current user presets in the current release version?

I have no idea. So try to backup if you can.

@brice said:

Gotcha. Refresh my memory if you don’t mind....how to go about backing up a user bank?

• @brice said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@brice said:

Gotcha. Refresh my memory if you don’t mind....how to go about backing up a user bank?

User bank export feature was suggested but isn’t supported yet.

You can upload each preset by tapping Save > iCloud and choose Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

I would suggest that you also “use” your presets in a host like Cubasis (as SM1 tracks) so the preset parameters get stored in the host project (to recover just in case you cannot restore from other backup sources). In this approach to recover presets, when you launch the host, quickly save the tracks as presets in SM1 AU before making any changes. The presets stored in host work even if they are missing in SM1. You should be able to use 5-6 tracks of SM1 as AUs in each Cubasis project without crashing based on your iPad model

• @brice Do you see your user presets in Files > SM1 ?

• @MobileMusic said:

@brice said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@brice said:

User bank export feature was suggested but isn’t supported yet.

You can upload each preset by tapping Save > iCloud and choose Google Drive, Dropbox, etc.

I would suggest that you also “use” your presets in a host like Cubasis (as SM1 tracks) so the preset parameters get stored in the host project (to recover just in case you cannot restore from other backup sources). In this approach to recover presets, when you launch the host, quickly save the tracks as presets in SM1 AU before making any changes. The presets stored in host work even if they are missing in SM1. You should be able to use 5-6 tracks of SM1 as AUs in each Cubasis project without crashing based on your iPad model

Thank you for these tips. But I gotta be honest, this sounds like something I won’t ever do. Life is far too short for these protocols. And thats not even taking into account that nearly all of 150+ presets I’ve made are using custom wavetables or waveforms. Too many places to trip and fall around here.

I’ve got no data in Files > SM1 it seems. But in an ideal world I’d have a “user data” master folder in there with two sub folders: “tables” and “presets.” That user data folder would be fully portable and would easily install my preset data as well as any custom tables associated with those presets on the end users device in a manner this device is familiar with.

I realize this whole thing is not a huge priority; that a lot of users aren’t interested in custom tables and waveforms. The factory library is more than enough. But, the ability to use our own data means that SM1 is really quite powerful and shapeable beyond its immediate built in appeal. But it’s how this data is managed and ultimately backed up and shared that seems to be the deal breaker.

• edited December 2019

@kv331audio_bulent I created about 10 presets but there is only one preset in the SM1 folder in Files. Not sure why.

Why not use the SM1 folder for storing user presets as suggested by Brice and facilitate bank backup/restore?

• edited December 2019

@MobileMusic said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:

Open in doesn’t work.

Drag-n-drop on iPhone is possible but may be tricky
    (I couldn't make it work as per these videos as drag mode is getting canceled on switching from Files to SM1)

https://www.google.com/search?q=drag+and+drop+files+iphone&tbm=vid

Current implementation allows us to sync our own presets across our devices and download public presets.

@kv331audio_bulent Is there an option to choose which public presets are downloaded?

Open In... would be nice if we find some cool presets online, we could tap on them and choose Open In... (the few apps displayed in the dialog does have SM1)

I just discovered that Open In works, however it does not change the name in the Preset window. (It should do that of course). But I was able to Open In and Save As several files I found on the forum marked “Further”. I forget who they were from. They have to be in On My iPad in the SM folder that SM creates. When you Open In do Save As but don’t create a bank. In this case SM automatically created a bank called Further and all presets are there.

• @anickt said:
    I just discovered that Open In works, however it does not change the name in the Preset window. (It should do that of course). But I was able to Open In and Save As several files I found on the forum marked “Further”. I forget who they were from. They have to be in On My iPad in the SM folder that SM creates. When you Open In do Save As but don’t create a bank. In this case SM automatically created a bank called Further and all presets are there.

I also did further testing. Open In works, I fixed the issue with not changing the preset name. The catch is, if loading a file from cloud, the file must be moved to your local system first. If I can figure out a way to do that with code, I'll do that soon.

• @MobileMusic said:
    @kv331audio_bulent I created about 10 presets but there is only one preset in the SM1 folder in Files. Not sure why.

Why not use the SM1 folder for storing user presets as suggested by Brice and facilitate bank backup/restore?

It's because of the stupid way Apple introduced for Apps with Extensions (AUv3): Extension can NOT access documents folder of the app. (Nowadays, Files app can from other apps!). They shouldn't have this limitation from day one. So the app and the extension share a AppGroup folder, which I believe is not visible via Files app.

I will add backup/restore presets to/from Files App before we release the final version on January 6.

• edited December 2019

-

• @brice is in the Game? Great news. There will be cool beans...!

• edited December 2019

@kv331audio_bulent A Random button to generate new presets would be fun :smiley: You can find a similar implementation in Kauldron under its Spawn tab

This discussion has been closed.