Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ruismaker Noir Help

Hoping for a little help. I feel kinda stupid having to ask, but how do I use Noir in Garageband? When I open it as AU, it opens with a keyboard at the bottom. How do I get the Noir dot slider things back?

Comments

• edited December 2018

@AnalogCortex said:
    Hoping for a little help. I feel kinda stupid having to ask, but how do I use Noir in Garageband? When I open it as AU, it opens with a keyboard at the bottom. How do I get the Noir dot slider things back?

Not that easy in GarageBand, but still really powerful!! :)

Firstly you need to tap on seq button

Then you can tweak your sequence

And record it in GarageBand as a midi part. You can even make some modifications in Noir seq like randomly change sequence il will be recorded live in midi parts the same way GB drum sequencer does.

When the sequence is played by GB, you need to disable seq in Noir (red circled below).

But @brambos I’ve found an issue: even with seq disabled, moving ruler (yellow circled) with GB transport stopped will make Noir play some sounds and even make some buzz. I have to tap on empty to not have that issue, which make me loose my Noir sequence (I can save it of course as a preset before tap on empty but it’s not a fast workflow).

• @janosax Thank you very much for such a thorough explanation.

• Yes, that was very helpful @Janosax
    B)

• edited December 2018

You’re welcome :)

@brambos have you read my post above, about the ruler issue?

@Janosax said:
    But @brambos I’ve found an issue: even with seq disabled, moving ruler (yellow circled) with GB transport stopped will make Noir play some sounds and even make some buzz. I have to tap on empty to not have that issue, which make me loose my Noir sequence (I can save it of course as a preset before tap on empty but it’s not a fast workflow).

• @Janosax said:

Yes, I have. It’s a Garageband issue and I haven’t found a way around it yet without breaking the sequencer in all other hosts...

• @brambos said:

@Janosax said:

Yes, I have. It’s a Garageband issue and I haven’t found a way around it yet without breaking the sequencer in all other hosts...

Ok thanks for answer. I think the workaround is as I said just using Noir seq, record in GB, and when it’s not needed anymore save as preset. Totally worth it, still sounds huge in Garageband even with that issue.

• @Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

Ok thanks for answer. I think the workaround is as I said just using Noir seq, record in GB, and when it’s not needed anymore save as preset. Totally worth it, still sounds huge in Garageband even with that issue.

I'll have another look tonight and see if I can isolate what makes the sequencer respond differently from all other hosts. :)

• @brambos said:

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

I'll have another look tonight and see if I can isolate what makes the sequencer respond differently from all other hosts. :)

Nice thanks :)

• @Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

I think I may have found something that can help solve it. Will look into it more tomorrow :)

• @brambos said:

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

I think I may have found something that can help solve it. Will look into it more tomorrow :)

Glad to read this!!!! You rock :) B)

• @brambos I’ve just downloaded last Noir update, the issue is still there: when moving GarageBand ruler with transport stopped, there are some sounds from Noir seq played. With this update, there are even buzz sounds when ruler is not moved. I’ve reinstalled Noir just in case, changed nothing. This is with iPhone 7 Plus and last iOS.

• edited December 2018

@Janosax said:
    @brambos I’ve just downloaded last Noir update, the issue is still there: when moving GarageBand ruler with transport stopped, there are some sounds from Noir seq played. With this update, there are even buzz sounds when ruler is not moved. I’ve reinstalled Noir just in case, changed nothing. This is with iPhone 7 Plus and last iOS.

Have you tried restarting after the update?

• @brambos said:

@Janosax said:
    @brambos I’ve just downloaded last Noir update, the issue is still there: when moving GarageBand ruler with transport stopped, there are some sounds from Noir seq played. With this update, there are even buzz sounds when ruler is not moved. I’ve reinstalled Noir just in case, changed nothing. This is with iPhone 7 Plus and last iOS.

Yes I’ve just tried again and that didn’t helped.

• @Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. weird.

• edited December 2018

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.. weird.

I’ve just sent you a mail with a video capture of this issue.

• Bloomin’ GarageBand... 😂

• edited December 2018

Status update: Garageband's transport states seem bugged. It always reports that it's moving, even while it's not doing anything at all. This seems to cause notes to trigger repeatedly when the sequencer is actually stopped in some cases. Best workaround so far is that it now works, but skips the first note.

I notice I'm always spending a disproportionate amount of time on getting basic stuff to work in Garageband. Stuff which works right away on all other hosts... :/

Edit: I have filed a bug report for Garageband for this issue. I can't fix it properly on my end alone (nor do I want to, and let other plugin devs run into the same thing).

• @brambos said:
    Status update: Garageband's transport states seem bugged. It always reports that it's moving, even while it's not doing anything at all. This seems to cause notes to trigger repeatedly when the sequencer is actually stopped in some cases. Best workaround so far is that it now works, but skips the first note.

I notice I'm always spending a disproportionate amount of time on getting basic stuff to work in Garageband. Stuff which works right away on all other hosts... :/

Edit: I have filed a bug report for Garageband for this issue. I can't fix it properly on my end alone (nor do I want to, and let other plugin devs run into the same thing).

Thanks for feedback and your quick work on this, I perfectly understand your choice. Let’s hope GarageBand team will find a fix. It’s still perfectly useable: just tweak Noir seq until you have some good grooves, record everything to timeline, then save Noir’s preset and tap on its empty button. Go back to Noir seq presets when needed. That way you can take advantage of GarageBand arrangement capabilities without annoying buzz sounds.

• edited December 2018

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

Thanks for feedback and your quick work on this, I perfectly understand your choice. Let’s hope GarageBand team will find a fix. It’s still perfectly useable: just tweak Noir seq until you have some good grooves, record everything to timeline, then save Noir’s preset and tap on its empty button. Go back to Noir seq presets when needed. That way you can take advantage of GarageBand arrangement capabilities without annoying buzz sounds.

I think I have now circumvented the buzz sounds in Garageband (fingers crossed this works consistently in all versions on all devices). It just skips the first note when hitting play in the internal sequencer (because GB won't let me detect the user pressing "play" until the playback head is already away from the first beat :# )

• edited December 2018

@brambos said:

@Janosax said:

@brambos said:

I think I have now circumvented the buzz sounds in Garageband (fingers crossed this works consistently in all versions on all devices). It just skips the first note when hitting play in the internal sequencer (because GB won't let me detect the user pressing "play" until the playback head is already away from the first beat :# )

Cool, fingers crossed!! :)

About the current version it skips the first note only when GB is recording Noir’s seq, just after the metronome count-in. So I have to trim the midi part but that’s really not a big deal, I do this all the time with my IAA recordings to do some latency correction. When Noir seq is in playback mode, first note is not missed, at least on my device.

Thanks for still searching a fix for that!!

• edited December 2018

@brambos YOU MADE IT!!! B) B) B) Great job, works perfectly here now, no more transport/buzz sounds!! First note is missing now at transport start (wasn’t on previous versions at least on my setup) but that’s near zero issue with parts trimming. Much more comfortable to work with now. Big thanks again :) ;)

• Hi. It is posible please to implement in NOIR pattern like in The Rozeta suite.
    And it be so powerfull if the random synth and sequencer part can be MIDI respond.
    Thanks

• The title of this year-old thread seemed to indicate it might be the appropriate place to ask this question: Can you record Noir’s sequencer in Nanostudio 2? If so, how do you do it? I tried the GB tips above, but that didn’t work.

• wimwim
    edited December 2019

@xraydash said:
    The title of this year-old thread seemed to indicate it might be the appropriate place to ask this question: Can you record Noir’s sequencer in Nanostudio 2? If so, how do you do it? I tried the GB tips above, but that didn’t work.

NanoStudio 2 can't record the MIDI out from AU MIDI apps. With a workaround to send MIDI out and back in to NS, you can record AU MIDI FX output. But if there's a way to do it with AU MIDI Instruments like Noir, I haven't found it.

On the other hand, if you host Noir in Audiobus, AUM, or another host, you send the MIDI to NanoStudio that way.

• @wim said:

@xraydash said:
    The title of this year-old thread seemed to indicate it might be the appropriate place to ask this question: Can you record Noir’s sequencer in Nanostudio 2? If so, how do you do it? I tried the GB tips above, but that didn’t work.

NanoStudio 2 can't record the MIDI out from AU MIDI apps. With a workaround to send MIDI out and back in to NS, you can record AU MIDI FX output. But if there's a way to do it with AU MIDI Instruments like Noir, I haven't found it.

Thanks for your reply. I’ve used the midi route workaround with different Rozeta Suite sequencers, but was hoping there was a way to record the one within Noir. Oh well.

• @xraydash said:

@wim said:

@xraydash said:

Thanks for your reply. I’ve used the midi route workaround with different Rozeta Suite sequencers, but was hoping there was a way to record the one within Noir. Oh well.

Yeh, the difference is Rozeta is an AU MIDI FX while Noir is an Instrument. There may be some way to make it work, but I don't know what it is. I just host stuff like that outside when I need to, or record the audio into MultiTrack recorder.

• @wim said:

@xraydash said:

@wim said:

@xraydash said:

Yeh, the difference is Rozeta is an AU MIDI FX while Noir is an Instrument. There may be some way to make it work, but I don't know what it is. I just host stuff like that outside when I need to, or record the audio into MultiTrack recorder.

I got what I was after by recording Noir through AUM/Xequence 2 and exporting the midi file into Nanostudio 2. This probably seems obvious, but I’m pretty new to iOS production and still trying to work all of this stuff out. One of the pitfalls of buying tons of apps on Black Friday, I guess.

And let me tell you, that took a lot of figuring out on my part! I wracked my brain and cursed google for lack of easy answers. Something was off on the midi file recording and I just couldn’t understand the reason for it. I finally worked out that I needed to turn off quantization in X2. Now I feel like genius. :p

• @xraydash said:

@wim said:

@xraydash said:

@wim said:

@xraydash said:

I got what I was after by recording Noir through AUM/Xequence 2 and exporting the midi file into Nanostudio 2. This probably seems obvious, but I’m pretty new to iOS production and still trying to work all of this stuff out. One of the pitfalls of buying tons of apps on Black Friday, I guess.

And let me tell you, that took a lot of figuring out on my part! I wracked my brain and cursed google for lack of easy answers. Something was off on the midi file recording and I just couldn’t understand the reason for it. I finally worked out that I needed to turn off quantization in X2. Now I feel like genius. :p

I think, @wim referred to "sending" the MIDI to nanostudio 2, which is more fun and faster than sharing MIDI files.

Easy possible in AudioBus, for example:

• I had fun! But it definitely wasn’t faster. Would the AB way create an editable piano roll track?

• @xraydash said:
    I had fun! But it definitely wasn’t faster. Would the AB way create an editable piano roll track?

It would, but there’s a bit of a catch. When you hit record in NS2, it starts recording immediately, but it doesn’t send Link Start/Stop, so it doesn’t start Noir.

So, you have to first get Noir started playing, then hit record in NS2. Then you have to move the recorded midi clip into the position where you need it. So, it’s not quite as seamless as would be nice.

Nice job figuring out the other way ‘round. Not bad for someone new to the platform.