Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DJ mixing type app suggestions to use in AUM or other AU host?

KoKo
edited December 2019 in General App Discussion

Hello,
I'm seeking an app to mix my tracks/loops, set loop points, beat match, etc, and then use AU effects on the main output. Currently thinking of sending output to several mix busses with effects in AUM (or other host) that I will operate with an external controller.

The mixing app will need to send clock and be received by the host. I'm not a Dj but rather like to create and preform in a spontaneous way with loops and full tracks I have created with IOS and hardware. ...Record the results and then chop and see what emerges etc.

I'm trying out DjDj by Rodrigo Yanez, creator of Seekbeats, but it keeps crashing and also it does not seem to send clock or I'm not figuring out how. Anyone using DjDj with good results?

Other app suggestions for mixing apps and/or an optimal host. AUM is currently my main and extremely loved creating playground but I'm open to other options. I understand workarounds are needed for AUM to receive external clock.
Thanks!

Comments

• Not sure. Think I can only comment on djplayer pro ( havent got ) but was wondering about dvs ( timecode ) so a turntable could be added. Have a turntable and mixer but soon there will be the released headachesound omni. Thats if you wanted to scratch or make your own beats like qbert ( for some type of music production ) Would wonder about audio interface because this connection might be different to a turntable and mixer. With that it would need at least a behringer ufo/uca thing. Then wondered how a sound card would be added to another audio interface/would it show up in aum etc. Maybe check remix live. Think it has all the stuff you say but also a more advanced internal sequencer for samples. Or just search for best dj program but many seem subscription or subscription as to access soundcloud/spotify etc. Some may not. Think djplayerpro dosent but the software is maybe 99 dollar anyway.

• Soda by the makers of Modstep and Touchable Pro was quite versatile from what I remember.

• Not really any time for djing now using synths etc but would be good if ever made loads of tracks. Would prob use a program but a denon 4 track controller with possible future vinyl jog wheels, instead of the metal type, would be good. Especially if you made DnB.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Soda by the makers of Modstep and Touchable Pro was quite versatile from what I remember.

Soda sounds perfect in the App Store description but from the reviews it seems it has not been maintained and is not functioning well :-(

• edited December 2019

Cross DJ Pro is AB3 compatible and has Ableton link, if that’s of any use.
    Works very smoothly with my old Pioneer DDJ WeGo2 MIDI controller.

• @Ko said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Soda by the makers of Modstep and Touchable Pro was quite versatile from what I remember.

Soda sounds perfect in the App Store description but from the reviews it seems it has not been maintained and is not functioning well :-(

Yes, buyer beware on that one.

• What you’re looking for is a huge hole in iOS music apps.

The DJ apps,out there are either total crap crash monsters, they are locked to specific hardware and/or have zero flex if you’re trying to do something “weird”.

You can build your own using something like AUM, but there’s not a good clip launching app that fits in an au slot. You can play clips in a AUM track, but there’s not a single track thing like launchpad.

So, the best I’ve found if you need to choose clips on the fly is launchpad...

There needs to be a simple clip launcher au app that can sit on top of an AUM channel and launch clips based on midi input...

• ^this.
    The sample player in apematrix will not load a whole song.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    What you’re looking for is a huge hole in iOS music apps.

The DJ apps,out there are either total crap crash monsters, they are locked to specific hardware and/or have zero flex if you’re trying to do something “weird”.

You can build your own using something like AUM, but there’s not a good clip launching app that fits in an au slot. You can play clips in a AUM track, but there’s not a single track thing like launchpad.

So, the best I’ve found if you need to choose clips on the fly is launchpad...

There needs to be a simple clip launcher au app that can sit on top of an AUM channel and launch clips based on midi input...

Thanks. I had started the experiment of using AUM and my main issues so far are: I don't see how i can time sync my tracks or loops which are running in file player.

I think If I have a couple hour set loaded up and all the effects I want I will max out my 2nd Gen Pro. I could load songs as I go a few at a time in file player though if needed.

• Thanks for the ideas everyone!

• Traktor 2 DJ just got a mix recorder option !

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Traktor 2 DJ just got a mix recorder option !

So far I am not finding a DJ app other than DjDj that will load into AUM. Just tried Traktor 2 DJ. If anyone knows of one, love to hear about it.

• Lets revive this thread to check for progress.
    My dream software would be able to play from spotify, open in AUM and send clock.
    Anything?
    I found a workaround with plugging your phone to a soundcard and playing through that but then I’d need an app that makes a ‘clock out’ of the incoming to effectively interact with delay effects

• DJDJ by Rodrigo, same developer that created Seekbeats. I’ve been using this app for multiple years. Good stuff and a cool secret weapon.

• Oh yeah ab crossfader in Aum for the wishlist

• @_smund said:
    Lets revive this thread to check for progress.
    My dream software would be able to play from spotify, open in AUM and send clock.
    Anything?
    I found a workaround with plugging your phone to a soundcard and playing through that but then I’d need an app that makes a ‘clock out’ of the incoming to effectively interact with delay effects

Since this thread started we go Neon by 4pockets as a warping audio clip launcher

• Check the ROTOR App from Reactable..

• Hook, LaunchPad, Group the loop, plus koala fx

Additionally, Traktor DJ 2, NO IAA, AUv3, Ableton Link, but it is free and good to try

• On iPad the most reliable and usable without gimmicks is DJ Player Pro. It's great. Reliable and easy on the eyes. It keeps it simple. I'd use that for the DJ'ing side of things. Then you can use Ableton Link to sync up to an AUM project or Koala and trigger loops or whatever that way. You can map your own controllers to DJ Player Pro, Koala and AUM.

• Hook seems promising but the user ratings are quite bad. I haven’t tried it yet but now that Loopy Pro is out this topic might be solved, right?
    On the other hand a Fader Mozaic script for AUM might solve everything for me. I‘m looking for a way to mix and match two or more external grooveboxes with AUM. the ability to scratch would be a nice feature but is not a must imo. Is there such a DJ-like Mozaic script available by any chance?

• hmm do I really need a mozaic script for this? i could map the fader to both volume faders, one is normal and the other is inverted. Have try that out!

• ok here‘s what i came up with in AUM. I used Rozetta XY to fade between two GR-16 instances. However the volume sinks down at center position. I wish i can draw a proper fade curve in the control panel… Can anyone assist? a hint would also be useful!

• Loopy Pro would be interested as a DJ App.

• edited January 2022

yeah I guess Loopy Pro is the new AUM now. I have to start my trial to find out if it fits my needs first. I hope that AUM however won't stop its development. My template almost works for DJ purposes - that would really be a shame if it does stop there.

• How about Drambo? It has a crossfader too.

• you're right, thanks! I'll try that one. To be honest I haven't start digging into Drambo yet because of its complexity.

• edited January 2022

@osKar said:
    yeah I guess Loopy Pro is the new AUM now. I have to start my trial to find out if it fits my needs first. I hope that AUM however won't stop its development. My template almost works for DJ purposes - that would really be a shame if it does stop there.

Why would I stop developing AUM (an app focussed on mixing, hosting and recording) just because Michael released Loopy Pro (an awesome app focussed on live looping)? I have a huge update in the works and even bigger plans for the future :)

Just because two apps have some overlap in what they can do, doesn't mean one has to replace one with the other or stop using one of them. Just use the right tool for the job and keep supporting indie devs like Michael and me so we can continue developing our apps!

PS. I have a ToDo item for a bus crossfading node.

• edited January 2022

@j_liljedahl said:
    Why would I stop developing AUM (an app focussed on mixing, hosting and recording) just because Michael released Loopy Pro (an awesome app focussed on live looping)? I have a huge update in the works and even bigger plans for the future :)

Just because two apps have some overlap in what they can do, doesn't mean one has to replace one with the other or stop using one of them. Just use the right tool for the job and keep supporting indie devs like Michael and me so we can continue developing our apps!

Wow big thanks for your comment! :-) I‘m really grateful for what you‘ve done with AUM. I don‘t wanted to sound mean or anything negative. In fact the jam sessions I came up with AUM in a short time are all sounding marvelous. It‘s a creative playground for sure. How can I support you even further?

Looking forward to that big update!

• @osKar said:

@j_liljedahl said:

Wow big thanks for your comment! :-) I‘m really grateful for what you‘ve done with AUM. I don‘t wanted to sound mean or anything negative. In fact the jam sessions I came up with AUM in a short time are all sounding marvelous. It‘s a creative playground for sure. How can I support you even further?

Looking forward to that big update!

No worries, thanks! Positive app store reviews are always helpful, as is spreading the word, buying a developers apps (obviously), and not saying things like "you don't need app A now that we have app B" ;)