Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Please... Please... Please ...Developers , Please Develop a Sample Mangler/Fx Printer App!!!

There is a Huge Opportunity for an easy to use, quality sounding, Audio /Sample mangling app that is capable of printing layers of Fx onto a Sample/audio file.... Just like a photo filter app but solely for mangling samples .

1. import or record an audiofile
  2. load the waveform onto the screen
  3. use the screen like the TC-11 App, but not for controlling synths, but for mangling the audio with the selected effect /effect chain (so swiping all over the screen mangles the sample that is on the screen)
  4. most importantly the addition of a 'Print button' so that when you hear something you like you can press print and it will print the effect on to the sample/audio... with the option to replace the original or save the effected version.
  5. the ability to print the fx in place over and over and over, layer upon layer.
  6. ability to continuously loop the audiophile, as well as trim and truncate the file.
  7. import audio from audio share, iTunes, extensive formats... Flac, wav, aiff, etc..
  8. export seamless loops or with tails.
  9. browser/file organization

_so many good ways to make some cash via iap. on an app like this too, for example if you implemented motion sequencing of the fx parameters that could be printed onto the audiophile I would definitely buy that iap without hesitation..... (by recording your swipe movements/gestures on the screen like on the ikaossillator app)
you could keep adding additional and interesting FX in like a bundle of 3-5 in an iap until the cows come home turning the app into a must have utility

you could even add a sample slicer iap that sliced up samples and exported them into a folder of your making all properly named and ordered... really the valuable iaps could be endless for an app like this_

so with my plain wrap imagination I'd envision the app to look like a big X/Y Pad, with the waveform of the current audiophile huge and onscreen, with a bunch of Fx on screen to select/chain, and a print button for committing the print just like in the photo filter apps

Comments

• What a great idea. This would be amazing to see, I agree. Seems doable to me, too, though I’m no expert.

• Koala does most of what you’ve described here. It does plenty of mangling with lots of effect and lets you print that to pads, then mangle it more and print again.

• @jenkweb said:
    Koala does most of what you’ve described here. It does plenty of mangling with lots of effect and lets you print that to pads, then mangle it more and print again.

different vibe altogether... I'm talking about the simplicity and immediacy of a utility app, not a beat making or sequencing app... the slicing I'm talking about here is for exporting and organizing utility only.

but yeah, koala's great.

• 1 start app
    2 import sample onto screen
    3. select portion of waveform to apply FX to
    4. choose FX
    5. Print fX
    6. save your file to your custom folder.

the gist.

• TwistedWave does most of this already...
    (Ie. when selecting an AUv3 effect it works on the current selection).

• I would say that AUM does exactly this.
    Map your controller knobs and XY pads to AUv3 parameters, load the audio file into the player and record ("print") the result beat-synced.

• forgive me for my not so articulate skill in conveying the idea, but maybe these visuals will help..

envision an experience like this...

not like this...

for mangling your imported samples on screen with motion sequence iap

• @kobamoto said:
    forgive me for my not so articulate skill in conveying the idea, but maybe these visuals will help..

not like this...

Well then use TC-Data or Lemur to control AUM.

• Not totally clear about what’s being asked.

Are you talking fx applied in a spectral way to selected frequency ranges in a file?

That would be interesting but no easy task!

• edited December 2019

Super quick loop fx-er.

I could imagine this being cool. Display a wave. Select a range. Loop that range. Use x/y Kaoss pad goodness to perform the fx on the looped range. I could see there being a 'take manager' where on each loop it records a new take, then after fx jamming for a bit you could cycle through the takes and select the ones you want to export.

It could be a total CPU pig too with lots of oversampling and gnarly expressive presets. There are hacks and workarounds of course; I like the Sugar Bytes IAP FX in DJay, which I drop into BM3 (or at one time recorded straight to a pad), then slice/extract the happy accident x/y pad fx goodness, but what you describe would certainly be more contained and have less setup/clunk.

• @rs2000 said:

@kobamoto said:
    forgive me for my not so articulate skill in conveying the idea, but maybe these visuals will help..

not like this...

Well then use TC-Data or Lemur to control AUM.

there's a reason we don't use TC-Data or Lemur to control AUM to do everything on iOS, the reasons may vary as much as us users but in my opinion, using tc-data, lemur, or Aum is not the same thing or experience

@GlueGreenSpiral

I'm talking about something more like a streamlined version of the FluxFX app, with print button, and basic waveform trim editing on screen.

• I use the local record of Apesoft/Amazing Noises or SamplR frequently to save snippets and resample them... or record processing chains built in AUM.
    Enough motion convenience... the TC way would get me totally lost.

Imho the approach has a disadvantage, though: if you render all fx into single samples (or sections) there will be no continuity (or evolving) of some fx.
    In particular reverb can get annoying if altered from one moment to the other. ;)

• @AudioGus said:
    Super quick loop fx-er.

I could imagine this being cool. Display a wave. Select a range. Loop that range. Use x/y Kaoss pad goodness to perform the fx on the looped range. I could see there being a 'take manager' where on each loop it records a new take, then after fx jamming for a bit you could cycle through the takes and select the ones you want to export.

It could be a total CPU pig too with lots of oversampling and gnarly expressive presets. There are hacks and workarounds of course; I like the Sugar Bytes IAP FX in DJay, which I drop into BM3 (or at one time recorded straight to a pad), then slice/extract the happy accident x/y pad fx goodness, but what you describe would certainly be more contained and have less setup/clunk.

yessss less Clunk! :D that's what I'm talking about, an app that gets out of the way and lets you mangle samples, loop them and export them... I'm not trying to get into an audio routing contest :)

• edited December 2019

@kobamoto said:

@AudioGus said:
    Super quick loop fx-er.

yessss less Clunk! :D that's what I'm talking about, an app that gets out of the way and lets you mangle samples, loop them and export them... I'm not trying to get into an audio routing contest :)

Here is fun. Headphone jack to Mini Kaoss Pad2 and record to the memory card (that you can now read in Files) OR if you have the latest MKP2S (for sampler) which you can load up with loops, just load it up with loops and then you can record/experiment with a little self contained looper / fx machine. Record to the memory card and sift through the goodness after with the decent iOS audio chopper/slicer/whatever of choice. This is mucho yum with kinda tolerable Clunk! I love it!

• @Telefunky said:
    I use the local record of Apesoft/Amazing Noises or SamplR frequently to save snippets and resample them... or record processing chains built in AUM.
    Enough motion convenience... the TC way would get me totally lost.

Imho the approach has a disadvantage, though: if you render all fx into single samples (or sections) there will be no continuity (or evolving) of some fx.
    In particular reverb can get annoying if altered from one moment to the other. ;)

I see what you're saying but this wouldn't be an instrument app, just a utility app for building sample fodder, the only sequencing would be motion sequencing of fx... no sequencing of audio or beatbuilding, nothing like that.... this would be for making samples to use in your other apps, but with the fluidity or expressiveness in the mangling that you can't get in something like an audio editor or blocks wave

• @kobamoto said:

there's a reason we don't use TC-Data or Lemur to control AUM to do everything on iOS, the reasons may vary as much as us users but in my opinion, using tc-data, lemur, or Aum is not the same thing or experience

Why? Because the "Print" button is missing?
    I guess I just don't understand what you're really looking for.

• especially because the print button is missing hahaha

no man, because the simplicity of a camera filter app, the fluidity of tc-ll all in one app, with everything right there on screen including the sample trimming, minus a bunch of routing, additional apps, and otherwise sophisticated shenanigans is the essence of the experience for this perceived great on the go sample mangler.... nothing wrong with connecting everything to Aum and doing what you gotta do but it's just not the same thing. I'm talking about mirroring the experience of ikaossillator but only for Fx over samples that you import.

• I don’t see why we need a new app for this.
    Plenty of stand alone apps can already do this sort of thing.

• edited December 2019

@CracklePot said:
    I don’t see why we need a new app for this.
    Plenty of stand alone apps can already do this sort of thing.

outside of Flux Fx, Elastic FX, DFX, and LiveFx what else is there cause even those 3 don't have the simple workflow described in the op?
    I don't even think all of them work anymore do they?

• @kobamoto said:
    @GlueGreenSpiral

I'm talking about something more like a streamlined version of the FluxFX app, with print button, and basic waveform trim editing on screen.

Ah okay, I can think of lots of ways to do this. None look like TC-DATA, maybe that dev could make this if people would use it?

Someone make my spectral selection one please. No need for print statement!

• So, if I have this straight, it works like this:

Import the sample. Crank up the CrackPot to make things extra Telefunky. Use the Samu preset on the AudioGus bus to amp up the audio-dt. Use the rs2000 plugin to delay the kobamoto. Export to the jenkwb for all to enjoy.

Correct?

• Oh, forgot the BlueGreenSpiral visual!

• and then serve it all up at the Clambake :)

• How in the world did I manage to turn Cracklepot into Crackpot?? My apologies!

• Like Iris2?
    Or the real In LPX, but not the iOS Alchemy? Alchemy on iOS is a joke. The real one is powerful.
    The Roland Vsynth?

Those are manglers...none of those are in iOS...:(

I would love to see so,etching in the vein of those three though!

• Wah, want Stutter Edit on iOS. :(

• @Clam said:
    How in the world did I manage to turn Cracklepot into Crackpot?? My apologies!

Same difference, I suppose.
    😁

• edited December 2019

@kobamoto said:
    especially because the print button is missing hahaha

no man, because the simplicity of a camera filter app, the fluidity of tc-ll all in one app, with everything right there on screen including the sample trimming, minus a bunch of routing, additional apps, and otherwise sophisticated shenanigans is the essence of the experience for this perceived great on the go sample mangler.... nothing wrong with connecting everything to Aum and doing what you gotta do but it's just not the same thing. I'm talking about mirroring the experience of ikaossillator but only for Fx over samples that you import.

Ah OK, so it's not about not being able to do it with today's tools but rather about how this combination of features could be presented to the user, right?

It might be a good idea to sketch a two-screen user interface (one for the control surface and one for the waveform/FX/import/recording/export screen) to make your idea more clear.

Who knows, you might be inventing a new type of audio editor B)
    And I can already imagine ways to do most of it without developing a new app but I have no clear image of what you expect.