Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stuck in NanoStudio2

I really like the sounds in NanoStudio2 Obsidian so I started playing and after a about 20 hours I have this sesssion with 12 tracks and a composition I like. It just needs vocals.

About 9 tracks of vocals- I'm verbose 😁

I have not mixed it down yet.

I am trying to figure out the Automation of the volume sliders. I have accidentally recorded some. Automation, I do not know how do to it on purpose or erase the automation I did accidentally.

I have cubasis2, Gadget, garage band and AUM

Comments

• edited December 2019

There are two kinds of automation in NS—part automation (to automate instrument parameters) and track automation (to automate the mixer, etc).

Actually, https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/AutomationEditor.html#track-vs-part-automation explains the difference between the two pretty well.

To Edit track automation data, click the little automation icon in the top left of the song page. The three connected circles icon: image

Then, tap the track header (track name on the left) to edit that track's automation. To get rid of your existing volume automation: Select volume on the left, then select --> all, then 'Delete'. Done.

For more details on how to edit the automation data itself, check out the rest of the Automation Editor page in the manual.

To record track automation...

In the mixer, for each track you'll see R and W buttons like these: image

If the green R is enabled the track will 'READ' automation data. If the red W is enabled and the sequencer is recording you can 'WRITE' automation data by moving the controls.

A little green/red dot next to a control in the mixer/effects indicates that automation is being read or written for that control.

So... If you want to mess with track volumes, pans, etc without recording those changes to the track's automation, just make sure that R is disabled. Note: You can press and hold on the R and W for more options.

More info on track automation: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/SongEditor.html#track-automation

• Excellent explanation @syrupcore, thanks!

I'm really getting in to NS2. I was slow on the uptake (though I bought it within 5 minutes of release I haven't actually used it) until this latest sale when I figured I should explore more properly, despite lacking audio tracks. A week or so in to it I can't stop using it. Loving it. In particular with SynthJacker and tips from @richardyot. It is an amazing creative tool, and having it sync with AB/AUM enables me to record audio too that I’ve imported into Slate.

I have however reached the same point in my questions regarding usage: automation. Hence I appreciate your clear reply on the topic. :)

• I have cubasis2, Gadget, garage band and AUM

Think it'll mostly come down to whichever you feel most comfortable with. I'd probably use Cubasis because it's the most straightforward for this sort of task (to my brain anyway) with a mixer, visual tracks, automation...

Just do a mixdown of your track in NS and then use the Files app to load it into the DAW of your choice.

NS does support LINK but it doesn't support start/stop via LINK yet so it's prolly least fussy to go with the mixdown route instead of trying to keep two apps at the same song position unless you're still doing a lot of editing.

Once you're finished with your vocals you can do the whole mixdown in the DAW you choose or bring the vocals back into NS and trigger them as samples from Slate pads. Then do the whole mixdown in NS.

• @hellquist said:
    Excellent explanation @syrupcore, thanks!

I'm really getting in to NS2. I was slow on the uptake (though I bought it within 5 minutes of release I haven't actually used it) until this latest sale when I figured I should explore more properly, despite lacking audio tracks. A week or so in to it I can't stop using it. Loving it. In particular with SynthJacker and tips from @richardyot. It is an amazing creative tool, and having it sync with AB/AUM enables me to record audio too that I’ve imported into Slate.

I have however reached the same point in my questions regarding usage: automation. Hence I appreciate your clear reply on the topic. :)

Sweet. Glad it helped!

• @syrupcore said:

I have cubasis2, Gadget, garage band and AUM

Think it'll mostly come down to whichever you feel most comfortable with. I'd probably use Cubasis because it's the most straightforward for this sort of task (to my brain anyway) with a mixer, visual tracks, automation...

Just do a mixdown of your track in NS and then use the Files app to load it into the DAW of your choice.

NS does support LINK but it doesn't support start/stop via LINK yet so it's prolly least fussy to go with the mixdown route instead of trying to keep two apps at the same song position unless you're still doing a lot of editing.

Once you're finished with your vocals you can do the whole mixdown in the DAW you choose or bring the vocals back into NS and trigger them as samples from Slate pads. Then do the whole mixdown in NS.

Thank you so much. I had no idea how to approach the vocal situation. So that seeems simple, mix it down in NS2, and use the file app to import into Cubasis-record my vocals and I will mix it in Cubasis as well. Thanks again!

As for the Automation in the mixer section I will double check the manual I accidentally recorded some volume changes. Then when I saw it was possible I was trying to record the track volume without the sequencer record on and it did not work. So I must figure out how to erase the the previous volume changes and start over

• @ralis
    So I must figure out how to erase the the previous volume changes and start over

to access track automations, in sequencer view tap this icon

you will see overview of all tracks with listed names of automation parameters:

now tap on track header you want to edit and erase automation.. to erase all automation for selected parameter, just double tap anywhere - it selects all points of automation - and hit delete

• Thank you