Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Shockwave Synthesizer | Best Synth App 2019? | haQ attaQ

Shockwave Synthesizer for iOS by Kai Aras is a Modular Monophonic Synth and It sounds great! I would know because I’ve made a huge chuck of the factory sound presets, included with the synth! Shockwave uses a Phase Distortion Synthesis engine that gives it a very unique character. This synth is really powerful and it has a cross modulation section that gives it the ability to do FM, PM, AM and Ring Modulation synthesis.

Shockwave also features a Sequencer that can run in various different and interesting modes it’s more than just a 16 step sequencer. Btw the Reverb in this thing sounds incredibly lush and not metallic at all. But it does not end here. In this video I am going over everything inside Shockwave and I’m playing some of the sounds that I’ve made. So kick back and enjoy the show!

haQattaQ

Comments

• Great video @jakoB_haQ New fav synth. Bad ass new sequencer implementation. Amazing work @ka010

• Love PD, this may go on the list.

• That sounds very nice, one for the list.

• @WillieNegus said:
    Great video @jakoB_haQ New fav synth. Bad ass new sequencer implementation. Amazing work @ka010

Yeah, that sequencer kicks a lot of bum!

• Love PD, because of CZ synths. Definitely looks great.

• edited December 2019

Will be buying this very shortly. Just watched the video - this baby looks very nice to use. Great sounds, too.

• There's another PD synth already on the app store in case anyone's interested:
    https://apps.apple.com/us/app/npd/id1452838999

It's pretty good.

• I may have just bought NPD and Phase84 but how can I avoid picking this up?

• Can't watch it all now but the intro is so good ... instantly loved that voice you were playing with the nanostudio. And then I laughed my ass off too. @jakoB_haQ , you are the king of this stuff! hehehehehe

• @jakoB_haQ said:

Sounds and looks great - also thanks for this great video Jakob.

Can someone tell if this an intro price or the regular one?

• @Bon_Tempi said:

@jakoB_haQ said:

Sounds and looks great - also thanks for this great video Jakob.

Can someone tell if this an intro price or the regular one?

App Store description says its 50% off for launch sale.

$9.99 for this synth is criminal. I wish iOS devs could get paid what their products are actually worth.

• @kinkujin said:
    Can't watch it all now but the intro is so good ... instantly loved that voice you were playing with the nanostudio. And then I laughed my ass off too. @jakoB_haQ , you are the king of this stuff! hehehehehe

Thank You! ;)

• edited December 2019

@cian said:
    There's another PD synth already on the app store in case anyone's interested:

It's pretty good.

@rezidue said:
    I may have just bought NPD and Phase84 but how can I avoid picking this up?

Similarities between NPD and this one:
    Dual oscillators, dual envelopes, left/right oscillator panning, dual LFOs

NPD advantages:
    Polyphonic!
    It has two filters!
    Separate noise oscillator
    Separate Sub oscillator
    Two independent 12dB LP/BP/HP filters in serial, parallel or split configuration
    Noise can be filtered separately
    Amp envelope separate from the other two envelopes
    One more bipolar modulation matrix source: Key (note number)

NPD looks like a super-simplistic synth at first but using all the modules, surprisingly good sounds can be made with it.

Shockwave advantages:
    More oscillator waveforms
    Inter-oscillator modulations (NPD can only modulate oscillators using LFOs, no audio rate modulation)
    Note generator and quantizer/scaler
    Note sequencer
    More MIDI control and MPE support
    More intuitive use of the modulation matrix
    Very good reverb (not available as an AUv3 audio effect though AFAIK)

• Sounds great - shame about the polyphony though, as it soounds capable of some thick and rich textured pads. But I guess with that level of complexity, polyphony might max out the CPU too easily perhaps?

• Get everything PD! It's my favorite form of synthesis. Also, what's great about Shockwave is that it's like a Buchla/West Coast synth with Rise/Fall/Brightness control rather than traditional east coast filter and envelope.

• edited December 2019

@rs2000 said:

@cian said:
    There's another PD synth already on the app store in case anyone's interested:

It's pretty good.

@rezidue said:
    I may have just bought NPD and Phase84 but how can I avoid picking this up?

Similarities between NPD and this one:
    Dual oscillators, dual envelopes, left/right oscillator panning, dual LFOs

NPD advantages:
    Polyphonic!
    It has two filters!
    Separate noise oscillator
    Separate Sub oscillator
    Two independent 12dB LP/BP/HP filters in serial, parallel or split configuration
    Noise can be filtered separately
    Amp envelope separate from the other two envelopes
    Bipolar modulation matrix:
    Sources: Velocity, key, modwheel, aftertouch, pitchbend, Env1/2/3, LFO 1/2
    Destinations: OSC 1/2 harmonics, OSC pitch coarse/fine, OSC 1/2 shape/harmonics/pitch/pan/level and
    many other destinations in the sub osc, noise, filter 1/2, LFO 1/2 and FX parameter sections...

NPD looks like a super-simplistic synth at first but using all the modules, surprisingly good sounds can be made with it.

Shockwave advantages:
    More oscillator waveforms
    Inter-oscillator modulations (NPD can only modulate oscillators using LFOs, no audio rate modulation)
    Note generator and quantizer/scaler
    Note sequencer
    More MIDI control and MPE support
    Very good reverb (not available as an AUv3 audio effect though AFAIK)

You highlight one of the advantages for NPD being a bipolar modulation matrix, however Shockwave is also a modular if you missed it. There’s 11 sources and about 30+ destinations. It also implements a very intuitive quick menu of getting modulations going. I’m showing how it works in the video.

• I don’t remember my old CZ3000 sounding like that :-)

I used to have. VZ-1 too. Could sound lovely and was built beautifully. But unlike the CZ was totally inscrutable to program.

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    You highlight one of the advantages for NPD being a bipolar modulation matrix, however Shockwave is also a modular if you missed it. There’s 11 sources and about 30+ destinations. It also implements a very intuitive quick menu of getting modulations going. I’m showing how it works in the video.

Thanks Jakob!
    I've edited my post accordingly.

• @klownshed said:
    I don’t remember my old CZ3000 sounding like that :-)

I used to have. VZ-1 too. Could sound lovely and was built beautifully. But unlike the CZ was totally inscrutable to program.

The VZ-1 had a very different architecture, it's basically 8 "PD/FM operators" in 4x dual arrangement with envelopes for each and the possibility to modulate the next pair with the output of the previous one.
    It's more like an 8-operator DX7 with a fixed but more adjustable "Algorithm" (using DX talk).
    And it's a fantastic keyboard regarding the hardware, probably the best quality synth ever built by Casio.
    But I gave it to a primary school teacher after I gave up programming it since she loved the presets and still uses it in her music lessons ;)

• @craftycurate said:
    Sounds great - shame about the polyphony though, as it soounds capable of some thick and rich textured pads. But I guess with that level of complexity, polyphony might max out the CPU too easily perhaps?

It is an AU. You can get polyphony by using several of them and using one of the apps or Mozaic scripts or Streambyter scripts that map a polyphonic stream to multiple mono synths.

• @rs2000 Don't forget that Shockwave has MPE support, for those who have the hardware to use it.

• Kai confirmed it will be universal at some point.

@jakoB_haQ totally off topic but I’m waiting to see an update on your experience with the behringer audio interface. Still going well over here.

• @Pierre118 said:
    @rs2000 Don't forget that Shockwave has MPE support, for those who have the hardware to use it.

I've listed that already.

• @jakoB_haQ REALLY out did himself on these presets. Just incredible variety, dynamics, and depth. Bravo!

• @rs2000 said:

@Pierre118 said:
    @rs2000 Don't forget that Shockwave has MPE support, for those who have the hardware to use it.

I've listed that already.

You're right, excuse me

• Can the midi learn CCs go to multiple destinations? A common stumbling block for my use situation.

(oi9lklk41,km47 - cat addition)

• Which one of these sounds the most like Casio CZ101/CZ1000?

• edited December 2019

Looks massive! Though monophonic is a suprise, its got all bases covered, down to the on screen manual.
    Excellent video, nice work!👍🏼

• @Häxanäx said:
    Which one of these sounds the most like Casio CZ101/CZ1000?

None of them, unfortunately. Only Casio's old app is closest.

This discussion has been closed.