Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Glad I Kept Effect Pedals

Been doing lots of comparisons between ios reverb/delay effects and hardware effect pedals
using various ios synths (icegear, apesoft, sugarbytes). Granted the big difference in price, Im finding a huge difference sonically.
Hardware pedals used, Specular Tempus reverb and Boss dd500 delay.
I’ve compared them with all highly regarded ios effects. I was hoping for different results, allowing me to keep things contained within the ipad, but my ears just wont let me.

Any other effect junkies having similar experiences?

Comments

• @hibjshop said:
    Been doing lots of comparisons between ios reverb/delay effects and hardware effect pedals
    using various ios synths (icegear, apesoft, sugarbytes). Granted the big difference in price, Im finding a huge difference sonically.
    I’ve compared them with all highly regarded ios effects. I was hoping for different results, allowing me to keep things contained within the ipad, but my ears just wont let me.

I'm an effect junkie for sure but I can't generally confirm, although yes, I'm still looking for a chorus effect that sounds like the Juno 6(0) chorus.
    I hoped FAC, DLYM or the Zero Chorus would deliver but they don't.
    But then, even that hardware chorus pedal from T.C. electronics that looks like it should, doesn't.

Most likely you've compared apples with oranges.
    It can take a lot of time to find and fine-tune one effect to be comparable to another.
    Have you tried taking a really good iOS reverb first and then do the same with the Tempus?

When I rate effects, I don't usually compare any with other gear but rather judge it by how easy it is to use it for the better on my samples and tracks. Sometimes I need a certain type of reverb and the plugin that delivers it will win.

It's like hardware vs software synth shootouts: Less than 10% of the youtubers take the time to make the two sound really, really similar.

• pedals and iPads go together like my empty pockets and the lint at the bottom.

Custom Deluxe Pirate super Deluxe (lol)
    Ventris
    Tensor
    generation loss orginal
    generation loss /chasebliss
    cooper fx outward
    Alexander pedals syntax error
    Montreal assembly count to 5
    ravish Sitar

• edited December 2019

I’m a bit of an effects junkie myself, and overall find that most iOS effects don’t cut it. I have two Eventide H9s and an Elektron Analog Heat to go along with a few hardware samplers and synths. The Specular Tempus looks awesome! But yeah, on iOS I find Kosmonaut sounds pretty amazing, Fabfilter Pro-R is fantastic quality but not super inspiring, and the Kymatica AUFX are great (but not AU). I’m very impressed with Toneboosters ReelBus, so I’ll likely pick their reverb up at some point, but I usually end up disappointed when using iOS reverbs. Kleverb, AudioReverb etc are close to great, but I can still hear metallic aliasing. I decided not to get another Seaboard Block (to have an additional two octaves) specifically because there’s a cheap sounding reverb on most of the Noise presets and there doesn’t seem to be a way to turn it off. I’ve found using an iConnectivity ICA4+ to set up a hardware effects send/return has been great at times, when I don’t have them hooked up to something else. If you want to see some beautiful setups, check out the FB group Pedalboards of Doom. I’m currently eyeing the Empress Zoia - what a powerful little beastie.

• I have a vintage Boss OD-1, a DD-2 Delay, and a CS-2 compressor that I bought new in the early 80's.
    I'm glad I hung onto them because they're becoming antiques.

Hope to have more room to one day so I can get another guitar, and put them to use.
    Would also be fun to see how they sound with iOS synths.

But for now, the iPad and a keyboard controller are all I have room for.

• I have the specular tempus & it is an awesome sounding pedal. I tend to keep hardware fx with hardware & IOS fx with iOS synths just for simplicity in my workflow but I tend to agree that to my ears good hardware fx often sound better although not always. Tempted by either an Empress reverb or a source audio collider as a Christmas pressie to myself. I also am still looking for a really good lush chorus pedal.

• My ‘budget’ Lexicon unit is largely cosmetic at this point. IMO it comfortably outshines anything available on iOS but I’d rather not deal with the wall wart and cabling. But it does look pretty in the rack.

• working with an iPad is abstract. you have to look at it and often there are layers to it.
    pedals are direct. you can feel it and when your muscle memory is trained you transfer some % of brain processing to your hands or feet.

• edited December 2019

A guitarist perspective: After the Eventide and Toneboosters entry I feel that, finally, delays and reverbs on iOS are good. Possibly even great; time will tell.

As primarily a guitarist, overdrives, delays and reverbs are what I most care about. With the above two Devs, delays and reverbs are now certainly good enough for me. Not sure if they'll ever kick off a Boss DSD-2 off the board due to latency (and the Roland SDE-3000 chip inside it), or the reverb on the Roland Blues Cube for the same reason, and just plain convenience in live applications; however they're amazing for recording in the box and experimentation.

Overdrives however, are another story. I've yet to find anything that can approach the same ballpark as even the simpler OD boxes I've got and love (soul food, muff overdrive, joyo sweet baby...). Eventide's Mangledverb overdrive is probably the best I've heard so far; funny as it comes from a primarily reverb app :-). Maybe with some tweaking; again time will tell, but it certainly shows progress.

For the modulations I sometimes like to use, I've not found a solid replacement for a Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah, or a convincing Uni-Vibe sound yet... If you've got some ideas please let me know

EDIT: just remembered my biggest pain in delays still remains, although it's esoteric somewhat: I can't find a replacement for the Dynamic Repeats mode on an old Digitech Timebender I foolishly sold a while ago. Granted I've not encountered it in any HW pedal as well.
    It's not just a dynamic/ducking delay which typically ducks the level based on input, but also ducks the repeats, preventing a wall of sound to start once you stop playing. Especially usefull with long feedback values.
    If anyone knows how I can achieve this in iOS, please do tell :-)

• BTW, Tonebooster's ReelBus has a Space Echo preset which is an absolutely lovely Tape Echo. I much prefer it soundwise to the RE-1.
    Even so, I'll keep using and loving the RE-1 for the Fripertronics style looping and general quirkyness :-)

• edited December 2019

Personally I think that there are plenty of great reverbs and modulations on iOS: Virsyn AudioReverb, FabFilter Pro-R, ToneBoosters Reverb, FAC Chorus, the Eventide apps etc...

What I can't really find is a great amp sim or distortion, they all seem to have a thin and aliased sound, although some are better than others (I think BIAS Amp with the Celestion IAP IR cabinets is probably the closest). It's hard to get a nice warm sounding tone, so I use pedals for that (and even budget pedals sound better than most iOS amp sims):

• Ive had some good results using a cry baby and EJ fuzz face into apogee jam, into BIAS amps, particularly like their HIWATT model. The other tool you can use to get sounds out of the ipad via a soundcard, and into fx pedals and other hardware is the pigtronix keymaster. Clever pedal which allows you to run mics and line outputs into fx pedals, amongst other neat tricks. Its also useful for mixing parallel effects chains, bit pricy though.

• @bato said:
    A guitarist perspective: After the Eventide and Toneboosters entry I feel that, finally, delays and reverbs on iOS are good. Possibly even great; time will tell.

As primarily a guitarist, overdrives, delays and reverbs are what I most care about. With the above two Devs, delays and reverbs are now certainly good enough for me. Not sure if they'll ever kick off a Boss DSD-2 off the board due to latency (and the Roland SDE-3000 chip inside it), or the reverb on the Roland Blues Cube for the same reason, and just plain convenience in live applications; however they're amazing for recording in the box and experimentation.

Overdrives however, are another story. I've yet to find anything that can approach the same ballpark as even the simpler OD boxes I've got and love (soul food, muff overdrive, joyo sweet baby...). Eventide's Mangledverb overdrive is probably the best I've heard so far; funny as it comes from a primarily reverb app :-). Maybe with some tweaking; again time will tell, but it certainly shows progress.

For the modulations I sometimes like to use, I've not found a solid replacement for a Mad Professor Snow White Auto Wah, or a convincing Uni-Vibe sound yet... If you've got some ideas please let me know

EDIT: just remembered my biggest pain in delays still remains, although it's esoteric somewhat: I can't find a replacement for the Dynamic Repeats mode on an old Digitech Timebender I foolishly sold a while ago. Granted I've not encountered it in any HW pedal as well.
    It's not just a dynamic/ducking delay which typically ducks the level based on input, but also ducks the repeats, preventing a wall of sound to start once you stop playing. Especially usefull with long feedback values.

Maybe with multiband compressor put after the delay (or main bus from similar sources if you use more than one) like PressIt app? It’s AUv3 :wink:

• Oh i thought I might be the only pedal junkie around here ;)

Using L6 Helix in combination with
    Big Sky, CBA Mood (Blackout 😁), Echosystem, El Cap and Blooper (on the way)

Wish I had a dedicated room for it, so I don’t have to juggle around all the time though...

• edited December 2019

@hibjshop As a developer, I will gladly take requests to write audio an unit plugin that emulates the sound of whatever pedals and effects you feel are currently missing from your iOS guitar or keyboard rig.

FWIW, EOS Reverb by Audio damage is as good or better than any reverb pedal.

• edited December 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Blue_Mangoo said:
    @hibjshop As a developer, I will gladly take requests to write audio an unit plugin that emulates the sound of whatever pedals and effects you feel are currently missing from your iOS guitar or keyboard rig.

sure..... Strymon Big sky ?

• edited December 2019

@Blue_Mangoo said:

How about this?
    "can't find a replacement for the Dynamic Repeats mode on an old Digitech Timebender I foolishly sold a while ago. Granted I've not encountered it in any HW pedal as well.
    It's not just a dynamic/ducking delay which typically ducks the level based on input, but also ducks the repeats, preventing a wall of sound to start once you stop playing. Especially usefull with long feedback values."

To further explain, let's say you play a phrase of E-C-D notes (C-phrase), then let the delays ring out, then play an E-A-D phrase (A-phrase); a longish feedback time. The behavior of:

• a standard ducking/dynamic delay will duck the C-phrase when A-phrase is played, but once playing has stopped both phrases will ring out provided a high enough feedback value
    • A dynamic repeats delay (as seen on Digitech Timebender) will in the same scenario ring out only the second phrase (the a-phrase of the example) after playing has stopped

Seems doable, yes? :-)

EDIT: here is how Digitech explains it in the manual:
    “The Dynamic Repeats delay type is totally new, and combines a Variable Speed Tape delay with a new method of ducking called “feedback ducking”. Perfect for large feedback levels, feedback ducking not only lowers the output level while your playing is loud, but it also reduces the level of the signal going into the feedback loop. This keeps the feedback loop from getting overly saturated while you are playing, and means that the first delay sounds that become audible will be clean.”

EDIT2: another explanation from Guitar Player magazine:
    “ Dynamic Repeats is a variation on Variable Speed Delay that ducks the repeats, but also limits the regeneration level to avoid over-saturation when the Repeat control is cranked up.”

• edited December 2019

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@bato said:

Maybe with multiband compressor put after the delay (or main bus from similar sources if you use more than one) like PressIt app? It’s AUv3 :wink:

How would this be achieved? Sorry for not understanding. Probably because I don’t know what a multi and compressor is as opposed to a standard one

• @Max23 said:

@Blue_Mangoo
    makes this nice "the battery is empty" distortion :)

makes this nice chorus that does not sound lfo driven, its the secret sauce

I was already thinking of doing this one. Thanks for the suggestion!

@bresk said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That's a great pedal.

If we do a Big Sky like plugin, and I would LOVE to, which specific sounds in there are most important to you? If we do this, I'd like to break it up into several smaller plugins that each do just one or two of the key sounds from the Big Sky. That helps us to stay in business without charging as much as the Big Sky costs; it also makes the prices more palatable for users.

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

How about this?
    "can't find a replacement for the Dynamic Repeats mode on an old Digitech Timebender I foolishly sold a while ago. Granted I've not encountered it in any HW pedal as well.
    It's not just a dynamic/ducking delay which typically ducks the level based on input, but also ducks the repeats, preventing a wall of sound to start once you stop playing. Especially usefull with long feedback values."

To further explain, let's say you play a phrase of E-C-D notes (C-phrase), then let the delays ring out, then play an E-A-D phrase (A-phrase); a longish feedback time. The behavior of:

• a standard ducking/dynamic delay will duck the C-phrase when A-phrase is played, but once playing has stopped both phrases will ring out provided a high enough feedback value
    • A dynamic repeats delay (as seen on Digitech Timebender) will in the same scenario ring out only the second phrase (the a-phrase of the example) after playing has stopped

“The Dynamic Repeats delay type is totally new, and combines a Variable Speed Tape delay with a new method of ducking called “feedback ducking”. Perfect for large feedback levels, feedback ducking not only lowers the output level while your playing is loud, but it also reduces the level of the signal going into the feedback loop. This keeps the feedback loop from getting overly saturated while you are playing, and means that the first delay sounds that become audible will be clean.”

“ Dynamic Repeats is a variation on Variable Speed Delay that ducks the repeats, but also limits the regeneration level to avoid over-saturation when the Repeat control is cranked up.”

This sounds great! Actually I think this should be done in reverb too. Thanks for this suggestion. :)

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

despite a lot of experiments you probably didn't yet reach the point that it's about sound, not specs or frequency response graphs.
    It depends on application (aka the target sound idea) if a device fits or not.

(btw Eos is an early Sean Costello plate algorithm, you may check Valhalla Plate as a reference into what it has evolved since then)

Some great vocal reverbs simply fail in the guitar domain and synths may require different approaches depending on bass, pad, arpegg, etc as the focus.
    There simply isn't that one and only best unit that fits all sizes. ;)

I'm happy about a Boss ME-5, aquired as the cheapest 4 button midi controller available.
    Expected nothing from it's 1988 reverb unit, even considered this single digital part spoiling an otherwise full analogue design, but listening told a very different story.
    With my Telecaster (flatwound strings) it immediately created a kind of signature sound from the raw DI tone of the guitar.

The Boss RV-2 and RRV10 feature the very same reverb logic chip, but only the ME-5 has a dedicated PCM54HP DAC, delivering crystal clear output.
    The other two units generate their analogue output signal from a simple resistor network driven directly by the reverb chip.
    This signal is fully trash qualified, but regarded quite high by not so few guitarists... it's a matter of individual style and taste.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Max23 said:

@Blue_Mangoo

@bresk said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That's a great pedal.

If we do a Big Sky like plugin, and I would LOVE to, which specific sounds in there are most important to you? If we do this, I'd like to break it up into several smaller plugins that each do just one or two of the key sounds from the Big Sky. That helps us to stay in business without charging as much as the Big Sky costs; it also makes the prices more palatable for users.

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

How about this?

This sounds great! Actually I think this should be done in reverb too. Thanks for this suggestion. :)

Great that you like it and even better if you do it! :-)
    A question, I see you’re doing the ifretless apps, but are you also involved in drum session?

• edited December 2019

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Max23 said:

@Blue_Mangoo

@bresk said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That's a great pedal.

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

How about this?

A question, I see you’re doing the ifretless apps, but are you also involved in drum session?

Yes, we made drum session.

But which modes of the Big Sky do you consider most important?

• edited December 2019

@Blue_Mangoo

Did i hear a „challenge accepted“? ;)

Ok, then in this Order

1) Cloud
    2) Bloom
    3) plate

Big sky cloud and bloom algorithms sound absolutely amazing. Sublime

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Max23 said:

@Blue_Mangoo

@bresk said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That's a great pedal.

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

How about this?

I think @bresk asked about the Big Sky; and @david_2017 above gives some feedback to that.

I asked about the dynamic repeats delay :-)

• edited December 2019

@david_2017 said:
    @Blue_Mangoo

Did i hear a „challenge accepted“? ;)

Ok, then in this Order

1) Cloud
    2) Bloom
    3) plate

Big sky cloud and bloom algorithms sound absolutely amazing. Sublime

I had a listen to some videos of the Cloud and Bloom modes. The Bloom mode is basically a ducking reverb, kind of like the digitech delay that @bato mentioned above. But what is the Cloud mode? It sounds beautiful, but I haven't be able to nail down what's special about it, other than that it's really long. It seems like it ducks the transients out of the reverb input so you hear the sustain but not the click sounds. Have you read the manual or anything else that explains what it's doing?

edit: after watching and reading more about the cloud mode, I'm still not 100% sure how it works, but I am definitely willing to give it a try when I finish up the projects I'm currently working on. :)

• @bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Max23 said:

@Blue_Mangoo

@bresk said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

That's a great pedal.

@bato said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

How about this?

I think @bresk asked about the Big Sky; and @david_2017 above gives some feedback to that.

I asked about the dynamic repeats delay :-)

Sorry, I got confused there.

• @hibjshop said:

for me its distortion and saturation, the analogue pedals/modules are on a different level than software. I quite like the AUM dev's reverb plus the ET blackhole of course and on PC I love the Valhalla. I'm not keen on the other ios reverbs, I didn't like the toneboosters reverb and I don't have the fabfilter one to comment. That eventide Rose is incredible.

• edited December 2019

I like your enthusiasm:) If you make I will def buy.
    Currently using Tempus Specular Reverb, its fantastic. I compared it to all the best ios reverbs.
    The difference is instantly noticeable (I’m no audiophile); richer, fuller, wider, deeper etc.

@Blue_Mangoo said:

• @bato said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:

@bato said:

How would this be achieved? Sorry for not understanding. Probably because I don’t know what a multi and compressor is as opposed to a standard one

I'm just wondering since IDK the OG fx but with multiband compressor you can use it as limiter and use the multiple band as eq+compressor so keep things a bit more in control. Back in the day multiband was quite expensive but nowadays you can research and try to find your dedicated feedback canceller.

Take a look into this to understand the idea I propose.

• @bato said:
    Not sure if they'll ever kick off a Boss DSD-2 off the board due to latency (and the Roland SDE-3000 chip inside it)

Ha, you just reminded me that I've had this pedal (Digital Sampler Delay) sitting in a box for decades along with some other BOSS oldies. Is there something nice about it's sound? I don't remember :)