Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Affinity Publisher - Mac App of the Year 2019...

Ha! Every time we can put some pressure on Adobe is a good thing...

I must admit that the Affinity Trinity (Photo/Designer/Publisher) is one hell of a project to achieve from the software company Serif Labs...
Compair to Adobes multi billion dollar budget, Serif Labs have put out tremendous software to both Mac & Windows AND iPad the last five years...

Although, they have a bit to go to challenge Adobe, but, they have today somewhere between 2-3 million users!

And, when Apple is rewarding their latest release Affinity Publisher with App of the Year to Mac, they will certainly get another million customer!

You can just now buy all three desktop apps for around 105 bucks, one time fee (compair to Adobes trinity - 50 bucks a month for the rest of your life)... ;-)

The technology ‘Studio Link’ is the big deal into Affinity Publisher, and Apple is impressed (and Adobe jealous)...

Comments

• I’ve bought everything they’ve done now: Mac, Windows and iOS, and still spent less than what I used to pay for a single copy of Photoshop.

Love em.

• I never forgave Adobe for killing Freehand!

Affinity designer, photo and publisher are really good

I also really like Pixelmator pro.

I now have zero Adobe apps and my computer is far happier for it.

I hated the way they’d sprinkle shite all over the hard drive whenever you installed anything and the interfaces got worse and worse each release.

It’s great to have alternatives, especially when they’re subjectively much better. The performance of the affinity apps is amazing.

• @klownshed said:
    I never forgave Adobe for killing Freehand!

>

I used to use both - in the early days they’d compete against each other, and so one month Freehand would have the edge, then Illustrator would take over.

Freehand had a better UI in the beginning, Illustrator was an ugly beast.

• When I first tried “Studio Link” I was blown away.

The only Adobe product I still have installed is Bridge. And that’s free. :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@klownshed said:

>

I used to use both - in the early days they’d compete against each other, and so one month Freehand would have the edge, then Illustrator would take over.

I’ve been on Illustrator since 1988, version 1.1 or something. During the following years I tried getting up to speed on Freehand and the usual thing, I couldn’t unless I had a proper production project that required it, so when one our magazines (ST Action I think it must’ve been) invited Jeff Minter to write his own column I used that to create the whole page in trippy style entirely set in Freehand (hint – setting columns of type in it was not a good idea, if you need to later make copy edits to it). It got me up to speed, but I vastly prefer Illustrator and I’m still using it at work, for example, today. At home I have the Affinity set on macOS and iPadOS. I bought Publisher from their own website rather than Apple store this time.

• @u0421793 said:

Oh and by the way, if you don’t already follow Jeff Minter’s twitter ( @llamasoft_ox ) do it, he’s doing something in games / VR / suchlike at the moment (no idea, I’m not a games person) and more importantly also dropping back into trance music big time.

• @u0421793

Is that the guy who used to do all those llama games on the Atari ST's?

• edited December 2019

@Gravitas said:
    @u0421793

Is that the guy who used to do all those llama games on the Atari ST's?

Yeah, Llamatron. I was going to do some graphics for him in the Amiga days, but being a wayward hippy at the time (me), never got it together.

He lives not that far from here, a mates been to see him a couple of times. He has a lot of pet sheep’s apparently.

• edited December 2019

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@klownshed said:

>

I’ve been on Illustrator since 1988, version 1.1 or something. During the following years I tried getting up to speed on Freehand and the usual thing, I couldn’t unless I had a proper production project that required it, so when one our magazines (ST Action I think it must’ve been) invited Jeff Minter to write his own column I used that to create the whole page in trippy style entirely set in Freehand (hint – setting columns of type in it was not a good idea, if you need to later make copy edits to it). It got me up to speed, but I vastly prefer Illustrator and I’m still using it at work, for example, today.

It was all Quark XPress for me in my print magazine publishing days, could never get on with Pagemaker.

Publisher is very good, ridiculously cheap compared to what I used to pay for Quark (£1200).

• @MonzoPro

That guys a legend.
    Used to play his games all the time.
    Awesome to hear he's still going and more than.

• edited December 2019

@Gravitas said:
    @MonzoPro

That guys a legend.
    Used to play his games all the time.
    Awesome to hear he's still going and more than.

Yeah he’s happy on his smallholding, still doing game stuff too, quite successful I think.

Llamatron was ace.

• I loved gridrunner on the Vic-20!

• edited December 2019

@MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@klownshed said:

>

I’ve been on Illustrator since 1988, version 1.1 or something. During the following years I tried getting up to speed on Freehand and the usual thing, I couldn’t unless I had a proper production project that required it, so when one our magazines (ST Action I think it must’ve been) invited Jeff Minter to write his own column I used that to create the whole page in trippy style entirely set in Freehand (hint – setting columns of type in it was not a good idea, if you need to later make copy edits to it). It got me up to speed, but I vastly prefer Illustrator and I’m still using it at work, for example, today.

It was all Quark XPress for me in my print magazine publishing days, could never get on with Pagemaker.

Publisher is very good, ridiculously cheap compared to what I used to pay for Quark (£1200).

PageMaker 3.0 was one of the first Mac apps I had. Along with Word 3 and MacDraw II on a Mac Ii with 1 Mb RAM, a 40 Mb hard drive, 13” colour monitor and LaserWriter Ii printer.

I can’t remember huge chunks of the 2000s (not drugs or drunk related either!) yet I can remember getting all of that for my dad’s company as if it were yesterday. It paid for itself though. We got some big sales I don’t think would have been possible without it. This was back in the day our competitors hand drew plans and typed quotations. On a typewriter. Made us look Far more professional than we really were. :-)

Our office got broken into and someone stole the lot. Bastards. I had a macproteus Nubus card in it too!

• @MonzoPro said:

@u0421793 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@klownshed said:

>

QuarkXpress for me too, from almost the beginning of it up to just over a decade ago when I switched to InDesign (is actually very good, and I’ve recently done a print thing at work in it after all that time like remembering how to ride a bike). During the time I did my MSc I was also temping at a place that did FrameMaker, and I got very good at that too (from being quite baffling to the point where I really thought it was the perfect solution to that sort of publication – it really is quite good).

But now I’m programming my UX/UI work in SVG and CSS all day, drawn in Illustrator on the Wacom, then re-coded by hand to suit the way I want it (ie, nowhere near the inefficient unmaintainable nonsense that illustrator exports). Also some very rudimentary actual programming, in Elm (just a beginner but I like functional programming, it reminds me of CSS in many ways, and I’m good at CSS).

• edited December 2019

@klownshed said:

PageMaker 3.0 was one of the first Mac apps I had. Along with Word 3 and MacDraw II on a Mac Ii with 1 Mb RAM, a 40 Mb hard drive, 13” colour monitor and LaserWriter Ii printer.

Luxury! My first 'proper' computer was a Macintosh Classic - what a beast!

@u0421793 said:

QuarkXpress for me too, from almost the beginning of it up to just over a decade ago when I switched to InDesign (is actually very good, and I’ve recently done a print thing at work in it after all that time like remembering how to ride a bike). During the time I did my MSc I was also temping at a place that did FrameMaker, and I got very good at that too (from being quite baffling to the point where I really thought it was the perfect solution to that sort of publication – it really is quite good).

But now I’m programming my UX/UI work in SVG and CSS all day, drawn in Illustrator on the Wacom, then re-coded by hand to suit the way I want it (ie, nowhere near the inefficient unmaintainable nonsense that illustrator exports). Also some very rudimentary actual programming, in Elm (just a beginner but I like functional programming, it reminds me of CSS in many ways, and I’m good at CSS).

Funny how over the years the environment you're working in changes and evolves. My first graphics job as a trainee was Spray Mount/Letraset based. All very physical. Then when Quark/Adobe came out everything I did was tied to that, design agencies, print and publishing companies - and eventually I moved into consultancy and training - I'd go into printing companies, train their design staff in using the software and setup the connections between pre-press and the big scary machines. Then I clocked a mate doing this 'new web design thing' was earning twice as much as I was, so I moved off into that. All design, just different platforms and kit.