Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - December 2019

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine

Comments

• My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

They say pride precedes a fall
    Didn't occur to you at all
    So it took you down
    Now your life is upside down

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    Can we muddle through OK?
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I am who I'm meant to be
    And you are meant to be with me
    If tell you now
    That I'm glad that you're around

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

• edited December 2019

Another genre leap for us this month. It's been a while since we did one like this but they are fun to do so we might do some more.

You know, nothing says Christmas to me more that an epic gothic metal power ballad about death. Ho ho ho.

Turn it up loud

• @orchardman said:
    Another genre leap for us this month. It's been a while since we did one like this but they are fun to do so we might do some more.

You know, nothing says Christmas to me more that an epic gothic metal power ballad about death. Ho ho ho.

Turn it up loud

Yes this one is set in a dark windswept castle up on the moors, there's a candle burning near a dog-eared leather-bound book, and maybe a seance is taking place somewhere downstairs....

Good melody again, and I like the haunting melancholy in the vocal, it's another very well-written and well-produced track. The drop at the end where the piano, strings and voice come in before the final chorus is very well put together as well. I enjoyed the guitar playing too.

As an ex-goth I don't think I've actually heard anything quite like this, the instrumentation is more rock than goth, it's not as edgy as the goth rock I used to listen to anyway (Sisters Of Mercy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie, The Cure etc...) but it works very well. It's quite grandiose sounding, in a good way.

• Perfect place to check out everyone’s noise. Krate has a core of permanent members, however, we recruit many friends to contribute. From our debut release feat Corlyx

• Enjoy the old school vibe here. Well produced and mixed, great work.

@richardyot said:
    My entry for the month, lyrics in the spoiler:

So it took you down

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I am who I'm meant to be
    If tell you now

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

• Great piano and atmosphere. She has a perfect voice for this genre. Liked how the piano was brought back in after the 2nd guitar part. Was hoping it was coming back. Would be cool to hear some fx on here voice here and there, like a delay leading into the next part of the song. Keep it up!

@orchardman said:

Turn it up loud

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    Perfect place to check out everyone’s noise. Krate has a core of permanent members, however, we recruit many friends to contribute. From our debut release feat Corlyx

Impressive production! Dark, brooding, some choice noises in there, and an excellent lead vocal from an obviously very accomplished singer.

It's kinda industrial-electro-goth sounding, very edgy and interesting. The backdrop of clangs and breaths makes for a beautiful contrast with the smooth and melodic vocal, it's a really good juxtaposition, edgy and musical at the same time. Great stuff.

• Thank you so much! Yes, Caitlin of Corlyx is very talented. It was an undertaking to get everyone together for this album but it worked out very well. I appreciate you checking it out. It’s on all the streaming sites for anyone to check out.

@richardyot said:

@iOSTRAKON said:
    Perfect place to check out everyone’s noise. Krate has a core of permanent members, however, we recruit many friends to contribute. From our debut release feat Corlyx

Impressive production! Dark, brooding, some choice noises in there, and an excellent lead vocal from an obviously very accomplished singer.

It's kinda industrial-electro-goth sounding, very edgy and interesting. The backdrop of clangs and breaths makes for a beautiful contrast with the smooth and melodic vocal, it's a really good juxtaposition, edgy and musical at the same time. Great stuff.

• Bit of a mish-mash of styles and gear used in my entry this month.

Acid sequence is by Pure Acid sequenced by Yamaha QX21 sequencer. Drums from iSpark. Vocoder, string pads and sub bass by Microkorg, Second bass line by Roland SH01A. Ambient synth riff by Behringer MS1 through Boss RV-6 pedal.

• @enc very cool! The video editing fits perfectly with the trippy atmosphere. Is that your voice sampled or from another source?

• I used the Launchpad app to create the track. And I ran it through the Lurssen Mastering Console app for a quick mastering.

• Hi guys. Just listened through the first entries here... Good work everybody... I like very much the diversity here... 5 tracks-5 different styles... 🙂

@DavidEnglish

I don't know about Launchpad or Lurssen, but I definitely like the music! Amazing sound (and sounds!) Great arrangement! It never gets boring, always some small surprising elements coming in and spicing up the tune... Really nice man! I got totally lost in this...

@richardyot

That bass line is very good! Also that mallet sound... Mmh but also that synth... Actually I think all sounds very good! Good singing also! And again your song create some tension and some strange uncomfortable feelings in me... Little bit dark and some desperation inside... And if I understood the lyrics correct (I am not an English native speaker) the protagonist is also unsure and questioning the other... Or so.. 😉
    Again made with Gadget?

@orchardman
    Nice piano in the beginning! Wanna directly sample it 😉 Good solid songwriting! I like that you came up with something a bit different than last month 👍 The vocalist also does a good job. And I like the lead guitar sound. Reminds me on some Ween Song... It's funny, even it isn't my usual style of music which I'm listening to, but when I listen to it 2 or 3 times I like it more every time 😁 Only nitpick again would be that the vocals don't sit so perfect in the mix...
    You record all in the iPad? What do you use?

@enc

Wow a lot of work with that video editing. Fits.really good... All in all impressive modern production... Nice to hear Pure Acid! With that vocoder sounds very daftpunkish... Sounds really professional! Which is for my personal listening preference a bit too clean and repetitive and I get bored after 2/3 of the track... But how I said this is only my personal feeling. Technically you made a top track!

@iOSTRAKON

Apocalyptic end time music for the wastelands... Very good production!
    Actually @richardyot summarized it perfectly... Very futuristic industrial...

• @uglyskratch said:
    Again made with Gadget?

Thanks for the listen! This month the song was done with NS2 and Auria Pro. I compose the songs using various DAWs: GarageBand, Gadget, NS2 or Cubasis, depending on what I feel like using at the time, and then I always record the vocals and do the final mix in Auria.

NS2 is fast shaping up to be my favourite sequencer though.

• @richardyot said:

So it took you down

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I am who I'm meant to be
    If tell you now

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

ooo! very nice. great vocal performance on this particularly like the double tracking/harmonies. a bit more up tempo than usual ... no bad thing. The only downside for me is its a bit short. and for that reason, I'm guessing it isnt finished yet?

• @orchardman said:

Turn it up loud

not my kind of music but i can appreciate the playing and the vocal performance is excellent. having said the room setting on the vocal doesnt work for me it sounds a bit distant which is a shame cause your singer has a decent voice with a good vocal performance.

• @iOSTRAKON said:

Nice! lots of interesting stuff bubbling under the surface. Great vocal performance.

• @iOSTRAKON said:
    @enc very cool! The video editing fits perfectly with the trippy atmosphere. Is that your voice sampled or from another source?

thanks for the listen and comment. at to the voice, its me, ahem "singing" into the vocoder.

• @DavidEnglish said:
    I used the Launchpad app to create the track. And I ran it through the Lurssen Mastering Console app for a quick mastering.

very hypnotic, kind of piece could develop over 10 minutes. i like.

• @uglyskratch said:

@enc

Wow a lot of work with that video editing. Fits.really good... All in all impressive modern production... Nice to hear Pure Acid! With that vocoder sounds very daftpunkish... Sounds really professional! Which is for my personal listening preference a bit too clean and repetitive and I get bored after 2/3 of the track... But how I said this is only my personal feeling. Technically you made a top track!

Thank you :) its an early vrersion so itll be developed..

• @enc said:
    Bit of a mish-mash of styles and gear used in my entry this month.

Acid sequence is by Pure Acid sequenced by Yamaha QX21 sequencer. Drums from iSpark. Vocoder, string pads and sub bass by Microkorg, Second bass line by Roland SH01A. Ambient synth riff by Behringer MS1 through Boss RV-6 pedal.

The video is mesmerising - I particularly enjoyed watching Fred Astaire getting down to Aciieeed 🕺 And also not sure where you got the footage of the Blade Runner geisha but that was cool as well.

Musically my favourite part is the vocal: it's simple but nicely melodic and the vocoder is used well. The bass line is good but I thought it could be more varied, it doesn't really change over the 5 or so minutes the track runs for. I think overall the track is a bit long considering it doesn't evolve as such, so maybe cut it down a couple of minutes or maybe add some more changes into it to keep it varied and interesting.

The production and mix work well, everything is well balanced and clear, and the synth sounds are well chosen.

• edited December 2019

Hi guys! Here is my submission for the SOTMC...

Made this last week for the ‘One Kit Challenge’ on reddit... It is a weekly challenge/ competition where you have to make a beat only with the sounds provided in a kit made by the winner of the last week.

I like those challenges because it gives you limitations which somehow boost my creativity and productivity... And it is kind of fun to listen to the other submissions in the end and wonder what they’ve done with the exactly same sounds...

So last weeks sounds I’ve put into Grooverider GR 16 (tweaked them like crazy) arranged and eventually exported the stems in BM3 where I did also some parts and more sound tweaking then... The bassline midi came from iBassist...

Was a fun challenge where I learned a lot. The mixing was kind of hard and this was the best I could come up with...

• Hey, everyone. Here’s my new track “Wave”.

For the leads and basses I used the Korg iWavestation synthesizer. For the drums and percussion: I used 909 samples, LinnDrum samples from F9 audio, and some samples from the Simmons Clap Trap. I then mixed and processed the stems in Ableton.
    While I’m not sure what genre this is, I do hope you enjoy it.

• @richardyot said:

So it took you down

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I am who I'm meant to be
    If tell you now

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I really love the tone of the synth you used for the the bass; I apologize if you already said, but what synth did you use for it? Regardless, it fits in very well with the other instruments and style you were going for. The doubled vocals also really add a lot of interest to those sections of your tune and establishes a good variation.

• @orchardman The lead vocalist has a great voice and the reverb you put on it leant very well to the "genre leap" you were going for. The harp and strings move very well in the intro and the melody was very pretty. I would just say that the choruses may have benefited from a bit more dynamics leading up to them, and the low mids can maybe have been reduced a little more throughout the song to create more room and I'd personally say bring up some of the low end heard in the intro into the choruses as well to add some more fullness. Good job

• edited December 2019

What's this? I honestly didn't think I'd have a song until January, but something fell together unexpectedly - always the best kind of song! Once I was able to make it past the chorus, it was all coasting downhill in a good way. This track started with the mid-bass sound from my SE-02. Not sure how it turned into this, but, hey, it's art of sorts. It ended up being a little.... exotic?

• @FunkMachine said:

@richardyot said:

So it took you down

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I am who I'm meant to be
    If tell you now

This is what you are
    This is who I see
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?
    We are living day-to-day
    I believe in you
    do you believe in me?

I really love the tone of the synth you used for the the bass; I apologize if you already said, but what synth did you use for it? Regardless, it fits in very well with the other instruments and style you were going for. The doubled vocals also really add a lot of interest to those sections of your tune and establishes a good variation.

Thanks for the listen! The bass is from iSEM, using the preset "Simple Bass 2".

• @DavidEnglish said:
    I used the Launchpad app to create the track. And I ran it through the Lurssen Mastering Console app for a quick mastering.

Nice arrangement with lots of interesting variety. The melodies work well and the track has a nice atmosphere, very mellow. On first listen I was wondering if it might need a bit more variety in terms of the beat, which is the one constant throughout the track, but then I decided it was good to have a continuous element to anchor the rest down as the track goes through its changes.

• @uglyskratch said:
    Hi guys! Here is my submission for the SOTMC...

Made this last week for the ‘One Kit Challenge’ on reddit... It is a weekly challenge/ competition where you have to make a beat only with the sounds provided in a kit made by the winner of the last week.

I like those challenges because it gives you limitations which somehow boost my creativity and productivity... And it is kind of fun to listen to the other submissions in the end and wonder what they’ve done with the exactly same sounds...

So last weeks sounds I’ve put into Grooverider GR 16 (tweaked them like crazy) arranged and eventually exported the stems in BM3 where I did also some parts and more sound tweaking then... The bassline midi came from iBassist...

Was a fun challenge where I learned a lot. The mixing was kind of hard and this was the best I could come up with...

Nice energetic track that's chock full of exuberance. Strong groove and lots of interesting noises and parts. The bass is almost atonal, which I found a bit jarring at first but it grew on me over the course of the track. The percussion elements are great are really help to give the tune that uplifting feel. The way the sections suddenly jump around is also pretty cool and lends to the fun vibe. I can imagine this one filling many a dancefloor.

• @FunkMachine said:
    Hey, everyone. Here’s my new track “Wave”.

For the leads and basses I used the Korg iWavestation synthesizer. For the drums and percussion: I used 909 samples, LinnDrum samples from F9 audio, and some samples from the Simmons Clap Trap. I then mixed and processed the stems in Ableton.
    While I’m not sure what genre this is, I do hope you enjoy it.

This has a really strong 80s feel, both because of the sounds and also the very light and airy arrangement: tight bass, tinkly chimes, and that 80s style funk-pop influence.

The flow of the track works well with sections that are separate but tied together with common elements, and the riffs are bouncy and uplifting.

It could really do with a vocal to turn it into an actual song :)

• @vitocorleone123 said:
    What's this? I honestly didn't think I'd have a song until January, but something fell together unexpectedly - always the best kind of song! Once I was able to make it past the chorus, it was all coasting downhill in a good way. This track started with the mid-bass sound from my SE-02. Not sure how it turned into this, but, hey, it's art of sorts. It ended up being a little.... exotic?

I really enjoyed that, there's lots to like, starting with that shuffled beat which kicks things off nicely after the synth intro. The bass is very hooky and the synth arpeggios compliment the whole thing beautifully.

The vocal sample is what really makes it though, when that comes in it takes the track to another level, beautifully ethereal and a great contrast to the driving groove beneath it.

The melody of the sampled vocal is great and I also love the synth counterpoints that run beneath it. Great job.