Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AudioShare and USB drives

Since I'm on iPadOS now I just bought a 256MB USB thumb drive. It works very well and I intended to store my sample library on it. But in AudioShare I don't see the drive although it is visible in the files app. As the audio preview in the files app is quite inconvenient to preview through a directory of files I wanted to do this in AudioShare. Does anyone have a solution for that?

Comments

• Going into the audioshare folders under Files app is the only way I know. Couldn’t you run a split screen with Audioshare on the side so you can preview?

If Apple wants to tout their iPads as “Laptop killers”, they need to make the file management system less like repeatedly hitting yourself in the balls with a mallet.

• @Häxanäx said:
    Going into the audioshare folders under Files app is the only way I know. Couldn’t you run a split screen with Audioshare on the side so you can preview?

Hmm... That would make copying easier but I don’t see how this helps when browsing through tons of samples to find the right one by quickly previewing them.

If Apple wants to tout their iPads as “Laptop killers”, they need to make the file management system less like repeatedly hitting yourself in the balls with a mallet.

That‘s so true. File management and finding files stored by other apps is the biggest pain point for me about the iPad.

In the meantime I found out that Kymatica would just have to change the code a little bit that initializes the document picker in AudioShare. It’s just a minor change that’s very easy to do and then the drives would be visible. I think I’ll write a feature request.

• As far as I know it’s possible to add a preview function to the document picker.
    Auditor has this and it’s quite handy to tap’n’preview files without accidentally loading them :)

• @Samu said:
    As far as I know it’s possible to add a preview function to the document picker.
    Auditor has this and it’s quite handy to tap’n’preview files without accidentally loading them :)

That is also an alternative but I think it is probably easier to convince kymatica to update their document picker code as to convince apple to add audio preview to the files app.

• @krassmann said:

That is also an alternative but I think it is probably easier to convince kymatica to update their document picker code as to convince apple to add audio preview to the files app.

Yeah, a preview option in the Document Picker in AudioShare would do the trick :)

In Auditor Document Picker it works like this.
    Enabled the 'preview' by taping on the speaker.

When it's enabled just tap on the files to preview, tapping on a new file stops the previous preview and plays file that is tapped.
    Tap again to stop playback of the active file.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugd5f6lt0cw0r6v/auditorpreview.mp4?dl=0

One 'addition' that AudioShare could have is 'play next file' or something if needed to enabled playback of files in a filder one after another.

• @Samu AudioShare does have that function. In Settings is Auto Preview Next.

• @anickt said:
    @Samu AudioShare does have that function. In Settings is Auto Preview Next.

I know, but not when importing files using the document picker ;)

• edited December 2019

Looks like since iOS13 you can also make use of external USB drives and SMB fileshares in your apps and in the document picker as well. So if this would be done with a document picker that has also a audio preview function as Auditor then it would be perfect.

External drive access is explained in this video and for me it sounds like that apps can work with external files without copying them: https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2019/719/

I'm not a iOS dev but as I understand the video, apps can work directly with USB drives. This could open up the opportunity use the files straight off the drive. As external drives can be removed and are much slower it is of course questionable if they should be used for directly hosting the files.

I have an idea: Maybe it would be possible to implement a logic that would allow to use files from drives directly in AudioShare like local files so they could be used in music apps to try if they match the song. But of course if the drive is removed they would be gone. So, AudioShare could offer a 'commit' button that would copy the currently used external files over to the iPad and then you can safely remove the drive.

However, a solution to browse files on external drives with a quick and easy preview function would already be a big breakthrough as I could do that solely on the iPad. ATM I am browsing my collection on my Mac, then copy them over to iCloud and so forth.

BTW, I got an answer from Jonatan Liljedahl of kymatica and I pointed out this thread to him.