Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 + Patterning 2 (and AUM) - help with syncing please

Hi - I've got X2 controlling a session in AUM and I want to add a Patterning drum track. Can one of you kind souls explain the steps to syncing & slaving Patterning 2 to Xequence 2? I only need X2 to send start/stop and clock to Patterning. I want to create the drum sequences in Patterning itself.

So I've got:

1 - an audio channel strip in AUM for Patterning
2 - an instrument in X2 for Patterning with "Send Sync" selected
3 - "Ableton Link" selected in Patterning under "Clock"

....what am I missing? Do I need to assign MIDI channels?

Pete

Comments

• @pete12000 said:
    Hi - I've got X2 controlling a session in AUM and I want to add a Patterning drum track. Can one of you kind souls explain the steps to syncing & slaving Patterning 2 to Xequence 2? I only need X2 to send start/stop and clock to Patterning. I want to create the drum sequences in Patterning itself.

So I've got:

1 - an audio channel strip in AUM for Patterning
    2 - an instrument in X2 for Patterning with "Send Sync" selected
    3 - "Ableton Link" selected in Patterning under "Clock"

....what am I missing? Do I need to assign MIDI channels?

Pete

Did you remember to turn on Ableton Link in Xequence 2? I just set things up as you describe and it is working for me. It didn't work the first time that I hit play -- and I realized that I hadn't enabled link in Xequence 2. Also, make sure that start/stop is turned on in the link setup.

When you go into the link dialog in each app, does it show the apps as being connected to the appropriate number of apps?

If not, you might want to power-cycle your device.

• That was it, @espiegel123, thank you!

Is there any way for X2 to send the BPM to P2.... or do you have to set BPM in all places?

• @pete12000 said:
    That was it, @espiegel123, thank you!

Is there any way for X2 to send the BPM to P2.... or do you have to set BPM in all places?

Link communicates the tempo between the linked apps.

• @pete12000 also, make sure that you use EITHER Link OR MIDI sync, mixing the two will not give useful results. i.e., if you use Link, you should remove the MIDI sync sending instrument.

• Great, thanks again @espiegel123, and thanks @SevenSystems for making a great product and actively supporting its users in this forum!

• @pete12000 said:
    Great, thanks again @espiegel123, and thanks @SevenSystems for making a great product and actively supporting its users in this forum!

No problem at all, it's mostly a fun experience anyway! 😇

• @SevenSystems said:
    @pete12000 also, make sure that you use EITHER Link OR MIDI sync, mixing the two will not give useful results. i.e., if you use Link, you should remove the MIDI sync sending instrument.

@SevenSystems what is the thing with MIDI sync out? I saw in AUMs manual that it is not recommended for apps, but just external hardware.
    Is that something that you've worked around for your apps (as in AUM specific thing)?

• @bato said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @pete12000 also, make sure that you use EITHER Link OR MIDI sync, mixing the two will not give useful results. i.e., if you use Link, you should remove the MIDI sync sending instrument.

@SevenSystems what is the thing with MIDI sync out? I saw in AUMs manual that it is not recommended for apps, but just external hardware.
    Is that something that you've worked around for your apps (as in AUM specific thing)?

I'm not exactly sure what you're referring to regarding AUM, but using MIDI sync between apps should not be worse than using it for hardware, actually it should be better because there's no timing issues / jitter if both sender and receiver support timestamps.

Do you have a specific problem, then I'll try to help 🙂

• @bato said:

@SevenSystems said:

It is a mystery to me why AUM has that warning about MIDI Clock. You can safely disregard it.