Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NS2 - all IAPs 70% sale

2»

Comments

• @anickt said:
    Don’t forget you can also use SynthJacker to prepare samples of many iOS synths and also hardware that work great in Obsidian.

On the topic of SynthJacker -> NS2, is there a guide somewhere on expected formats and "the best way to do it"? I have looked but have only found scattered information, and right now I can't remember where that is either. I can of course re-start my search (I had a quick look a couple of weeks ago), but if there is a guide/instruction for this somewhere and someone knows it, please link/post. It will probably save time for a bunch of people. :)

• @bato said:

@animalelder said:
    @rs2000 made some really great electric piano patches available on Patchstorage ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) free

@rs2000 or anyone: I can't seem to use the EPs and MS202 samples I downloaded from patchstorage in obsidian; I'm sure it's a user error. Would it be too much to ask for a step by step instructions on what to do after downloading?

Thanks so much,
    B

Sure.
    Download the pack from patchstorage in Safari, hit "More..." on the bottom and scroll through the list of apps and find Nanostudio 2. If it's not listed, scroll to the very right and hit the "More" icon with three grey dots.
    A list pops up. Find Nanostudio 2 and enable it. While you're there, you can grab its right handle and move it up in the list so next time you download a zipped patch, you don't have to scroll that much. Then hit "Done".
    Tap on Nanostudio 2 to open it in NS2. The zip will unpack and install automatically.

To see all my patches in Obsidian, open Obsidian, tap the PATCH icon on the left, choose "BROWSE" and "User" and on the right column, tap the search loupe and enter "rs2" to filter for my patches only. My patch names usually contain either "rs2k" or "rs2000".

• @bato said:

@animalelder said:
    @rs2000 made some really great electric piano patches available on Patchstorage ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) free

@rs2000 or anyone: I can't seem to use the EPs and MS202 samples I downloaded from patchstorage in obsidian; I'm sure it's a user error. Would it be too much to ask for a step by step instructions on what to do after downloading?

Thanks so much,
    B

See my post here. It’s that simple.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/35788/black-friday-deals-2019-music-apps#latest

• @hellquist said:

@anickt said:
    Don’t forget you can also use SynthJacker to prepare samples of many iOS synths and also hardware that work great in Obsidian.

On the topic of SynthJacker -> NS2, is there a guide somewhere on expected formats and "the best way to do it"? I have looked but have only found scattered information, and right now I can't remember where that is either. I can of course re-start my search (I had a quick look a couple of weeks ago), but if there is a guide/instruction for this somewhere and someone knows it, please link/post. It will probably save time for a bunch of people. :)

It's pretty easy, with just a couple of little caveats:

1. In Synthjacker create a new project, using the "Imported Recording setting" (this is the quickest workflow if you are sampling multiple instruments)
    2. Set your note range and spacing, bearing in mind that Obsidian only allows 24 regions, so you want to end up with something just over 24 notes covering the note range you are interested in. Obviously sampling more octaves means having a bigger gap between notes, I usually set the interval to 2 semitones and sample from C2 to C6 (or C1 t C5 for bass sounds)
    3. If you want to sample multiple velocities, then be sure to put each velocity in its own folder (you set this in the preferences). Obsidian supports up to 3 velocities. Many synth sounds only really need one, but for acoustic sounds obviously you might want to have three.
    4. Swipe on the template name in Synthjacker to save a MIDI file from it (be careful as it's actually way too easy to delete the template doing this!).
    5. Use the Files app to copy that MIDI file to a DAW, be aware that the tempo of the file is 60bpm, Cubasis will set the tempo of the project accordingly but NS2 will not, you will have to set it manually (I haven't tested Auria).
    6. Insert the MIDI into the timeline, then add whatever synth you want on that track, it can be AU or IAA, no matter. As a bonus you can also add any effects you like onto the track for additional sound design.
    7. Mixdown the project, and use the Files app to move that Mixdown into the Audio folder of the Synthjacker app. Then load the audio file into the previously created template, hit record and the samples will be chopped up in a few seconds. Use the Files app to copy them into the Audio Files section of the NS2 Library folder.
    8. Create a new Obsidian track, and initialise the synth. Set the oscillator type in Osc1 to "Sample" and then use the "Automap Samples" button to import a whole folder of notes. If you have multiple velocities then repeat the process for oscillators 2 and 3.
    9. Set filter etc.. if required, set sample points if you have the patience (I don't) and you should be good to go. One thing to remember is that if you have stereo samples then you will need to set the filter type to stereo in Obsidian.
  • edited December 2019

@richardyot said:
    1. In Synthjacker create a new project, using the "Imported Recording setting" (this is the quickest workflow if you are sampling multiple instruments)
    2. Set your note range and spacing, bearing in mind that Obsidian only allows 24 regions, so you want to end up with something just over 24 notes covering the note range you are interested in. Obviously sampling more octaves means having a bigger gap between notes, I usually set the interval to 2 semitones and sample from C2 to C6 (or C1 t C5 for bass sounds)
    3. If you want to sample multiple velocities, then be sure to put each velocity in its own folder (you set this in the preferences). Obsidian supports up to 3 velocities. Many synth sounds only really need one, but for acoustic sounds obviously you might want to have three.
    4. Swipe on the template name in Synthjacker to save a MIDI file from it (be careful as it's actually way too easy to delete the template doing this!).
    5. Use the Files app to copy that MIDI file to a DAW, be aware that the tempo of the file is 60bpm, Cubasis will set the tempo of the project accordingly but NS2 will not, you will have to set it manually (I haven't tested Auria).
    6. Insert the MIDI into the timeline, then add whatever synth you want on that track, it can be AU or IAA, no matter. As a bonus you can also add any effects you like onto the track for additional sound design.
    7. Mixdown the project, and use the Files app to move that Mixdown into the Audio folder of the Synthjacker app. Then load the audio file into the previously created template, hit record and the samples will be chopped up in a few seconds. Use the Files app to copy them into the Audio Files section of the NS2 Library folder.
    8. Create a new Obsidian track, and initialise the synth. Set the oscillator type in Osc1 to "Sample" and then use the "Automap Samples" button to import a whole folder of notes. If you have multiple velocities then repeat the process for oscillators 2 and 3.
    9. Set filter etc.. if required, set sample points if you have the patience (I don't) and you should be good to go. One thing to remember is that if you have stereo samples then you will need to set the filter type to stereo in Obsidian.

Ah, perfect instructions as always from you, hehe. I already use your SynthJacker -> DAW -> Mixdown trick for creating .sfz files to Lyra, so this doesn't seem to differ too much from that. I was more worried the naming convention had to be something specific. Final question: does it work somewhat the same (EDIT: i.e. no special naming convention needed etc) when doing kits for Slate?

I'm really warming to using NS2, especially as a tune-creation tool, and in particular now that I've worked out how to sync it with AB/AUM where I can record my guitar. Figured I can probably sketch/construct my tunes in NS2, and when getting closer to finished, export stuff to Auria for finishing it off there.

• @hellquist said:

@richardyot said:

Ah, perfect instructions as always from you, hehe. I already use your SynthJacker -> DAW -> Mixdown trick for creating .sfz files to Lyra, so this doesn't seem to differ too much from that. I was more worried the naming convention had to be something specific. Final question: does it work somewhat the same when doing kits for Slate?

I'm really warming to using NS2, especially as a tune-creation tool, and in particular now that I've worked out how to sync it with AB/AUM where I can record my guitar. Figured I can probably sketch/construct my tunes in NS2, and when getting closer to finished, export stuff to Auria for finishing it off there.

Obsidian is a lot more flexible than Lyra, since you can also do sample synthesis and mangling, which opens up far more creative avenues. Also the Synthjacker --> Obsidian workflow is really quick so you can create an instrument in a couple of minutes once you have it all set up :)

Using NS2 for composition and Auria for mixing is exactly my workflow too BTW, it's a great combination.

Regarding the file names just remember to add a space before the note name, see this post for Dendy:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/712718/#Comment_712718

• @richardyot said:

@hellquist said:

@anickt said:

Excellent guide! Thank you kindly. And a really fast way to sample desktop software too, looks like :)

• @hellquist said:

@anickt said:

It took me close to an hour to figure this out (I generally learn stuff quickly) so a better manual would be great but happy with the purchase now. Mostly using it to transfer BeatHawk acoustic stuff (Obsidian is very good for everything except recreating specific analog gear IMO)

• @rs2000 said:

@bato said:

@animalelder said:

Thanks so much,
    B

Sure.
    Download the pack from patchstorage in Safari, hit "More..." on the bottom and scroll through the list of apps and find Nanostudio 2. If it's not listed, scroll to the very right and hit the "More" icon with three grey dots.
    A list pops up. Find Nanostudio 2 and enable it. While you're there, you can grab its right handle and move it up in the list so next time you download a zipped patch, you don't have to scroll that much. Then hit "Done".
    Tap on Nanostudio 2 to open it in NS2. The zip will unpack and install automatically.

To see all my patches in Obsidian, open Obsidian, tap the PATCH icon on the left, choose "BROWSE" and "User" and on the right column, tap the search loupe and enter "rs2" to filter for my patches only. My patch names usually contain either "rs2k" or "rs2000".

Thanks so much @rs2000 ... Of to try it out.
    Thanks @anickt as well

• In the end, I‘ve got them all...

• @richardyot said:

@hellquist said:

@anickt said:

Would be great in the wiki :)

• @drez said:

@TimRussell said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@TimRussell said:
    How do the orchestral samples compare to those in, say, BeatHawk?

EDIT: just listened to the demos so answered my own question

What was your conclusion? :)

I can live without them

Orchestral samples native to Obsidian for 4 dollars both IAP’s is too much?

Well it all adds up... I went for Blocs Wave IAPs instead as I think they are more diverse. Most of the NS2 IAPs I have passed on as they are not sounds I can see myself using. It’s time for some new IAP sounds by new producers in NS2! I’m sure they will sell well.

• @rs2000 the Rhodes is indeed beautiful.. so are the SH101 and MS202. To anyone, if the EPs in the Acoustic pack are not doing it for you, or you don't have the EP, this Rhodes on patchstorage could satisfy

• @bato said:
    @rs2000 the Rhodes is indeed beautiful.. so are the SH101 and MS202. To anyone, if the EPs in the Acoustic pack are not doing it for you, or you don't have the EP, this Rhodes on patchstorage could satisfy

Thank you! :smiley:

• edited December 2019

@richardyot said:

@hellquist said:

@anickt said:

Wow. Fantastic break down. Thank you.

1. Use the Files app to copy that MIDI file to a DAW, be aware that the tempo of the file is 60bpm, Cubasis will set the tempo of the project accordingly but NS2 will not, you will have to set it manually (I haven't tested Auria).

This might be a bug. When you import a MIDI track into NS, it offers to import any tempo and/or meter changes. It won't change the project tempo, because it's polite like that, but should insert a 60bpm tempo marker on the tempo track. If not, yeah, this is prolly a bug that should be reported.

• @syrupcore said:
    This might be a bug. When you import a MIDI track into NS, it offers to import any tempo and/or meter changes. It won't change the project tempo, because it's polite like that, but should insert a 60bpm tempo marker on the tempo track. If not, yeah, this is prolly a bug that should be reported.

It might not be a bug, but if you mixdown the NS2 project without changing the global tempo Synthjacker will hang when slicing the resulting audio. The simplest thing therefore is to set the global tempo in NS2 to 60.