Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

dub chords in the style of rhythm&sound

Hi people! Please,tell me the application that best does stuby dub chords in the style of rhythm&sound. I understand what can be achieved in different ways, but maybe you will tell the most effective way.
all ideas are welcome!

Comments

• edited November 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2019

I’m always looking for a bit of good skank on my riddims. It’s the hardest park to get right. Galileo is good for organ skanks, but it’s hardly 2000’s Swiss Electronic Dub. I find the additive synth of the circuit ok for that, with a filter sweep/delay pedal ok, but it’s not ios. What is a really vital ingredient is being able control the tail of your adsr. As well as the combination of an animated filter per hit.

So much of the sound is from eq and effects.

Tell us if you find a good app, subscribed!

• @jollyDodger said:
    I’m always looking for a bit of good skank on my riddims. It’s the hardest park to get right. Galileo is good for organ skanks, but it’s hardly 2000’s Swiss Electronic Dub. I find the additive synth of the circuit ok for that, but it’s not ios. What is a really vital ingredient is being able control the tail of your adsr. As well as the combination of an animated filter per hit.

So much of the sound is from eq and effects.

Tell us if you find a good app, subscribed!

Yes, I think to dig in this direction. I achieved good results with the T-resonator Jomox and samplers or monomachine. But lately it’s too time-consuming, and I want to organize the dub-production process as compactly and economically as possible.

• GR16 all the way. Can play samples, has amazing synths you can program modulation of the LPF, each track can have its own delay and there are a ton of options of delay type. There’s a chord mode so hitting the minor chords is easy.

Stick GR16 in AUM, run it through TB Reelbus for the tape feel. Done.

• the DRC detroit dub preset makes me think of R & S

• unfortunately the gr-16 is not au, for me it's pretty important. Interestingly, I didn’t think about DRC, for me it is not better than zeeon, or other beautiful synths. maybe I overlooked something valuable. reelbus will certainly be present in this installation.

• I'm no expert but to my ear I'd say try a sequenced FX such as Effectrix or Turnado and maybe a little FD-1.

• edited December 2019

A mixer with plenty of fx bus channels that can send stuff to each other and the patience to spend a few weeks or months with a track until things are just right.

That's about all that has been made public on their secret sauce.
    Equipment got regularly swapped out in their setup.

• edited December 2019

It’s not AU but the midi out on ibassist can send chords and it has a setting called bubble to get those upstrokes. I like to set one at one octave and then have the other come in an octave lower to get that chugging sound if I’m not just playing it myself. I like to use reverbs and tape delays on whatever instrument I’m doing it on as well

• Honestly any poly synth will do. For FX, for simplicity just use AudioEffx as a multi and TapDelay for delay with amazingly playable filter. Then into Reelbus for tape feel.

• Of course, any synth with a saw and a poly mode can do this, but not everyone falls into this oscillation. if we had no choice, then of course any instrument, but thanks to these times, we have many options for synths, delays and effects. in this topic for me was the discovery of DRC synth, less demanding on the processor than zeeon, and more suitable for the sound of fading stubs I was looking for.

• edited December 2019
  • edited December 2019

For instant gratification I'll humbly suggest Modal AU from Spectrum, in Chord mode. Put a filter and tape delay after, or Granular if you want to get weird

• modal Is my favorite! So nice app!

• edited December 2019

Feels like a broad question. Do you want to trigger samples or have more control? Is it for sequenced music (where you have all of the time in the world) or for triggering live? How much does CPU matter? External FX OK or do they need to be a part of the source?

For most of the dub I listen to (I'm old af) it's basically just 'classic keyboard' sounds (rhodes, whirly, piano, organ...) with control over the decay and then overdrive and delay. 'Control over the decay' doesn't always come from the instrument itself—it's often muted mid-chord via the mixer and then send effects take over.

For more electronic dub, seems like any old poly VA with easy control of filter and decay along with a decent overdrive should do it. Maybe Sunrizr?

• Yes, that’s a broad question. I wonder how people do these simple things in different ways. It’s interesting that ableton was mentioned, because it was from him that I began to have questions. I always looked for a suitable chord, no matter a sample or synthesis, and after a suitable delay and eq, but when I saw the MAX instrument dub machines, vocoder tricks and other amazing instruments, I realized how many things can be hidden in this simple element. The theme is set up to collect different opinions about dub chords.

• @Max23 said:
    hm
    the rhythm and sound stuff didnt have those over effected chords ...
    its more short and percussive and not drowned in delay, they leave much room for the rest of the arrangements
    so just short chords and reverb to taste
    that's nothing special

Nice one! :smiley:

• @rs2000 said:

@Max23 said:
    hm
    its more short and percussive and not drowned in delay, they leave much room for the rest of the arrangements
    that's nothing special

yes, of course the most important thing is balance and space in the mix. there’s nothing to add.

• I think what makes basic channel / rhythm & sound so special is the hyper attention to detail, and it really is clear that they spent years listening closely to all the dub masters from jamaica, NY, and the UK.

I rarely hear chords as "chords" in their music. If you think of it in the timbral sense, a chord is just a bundle of timbres, not "notes". And I do suspect they approach it this way, especially being that the music rarely has much harmonic movement, so the notion of a chord as a collection of notes loses its meaning. I think focusing on what chord, or even what gear, delays, etc to use is missing the thing that makes their sound so unique.

To my ears, the focus is always on The Mix. Their mixes are superb. Learning how to make a good mix (gain staging, eqing, fx sends, using reverb and and filtering to get things to sit right, etc) - basically how to use the the tools at hand well, will probably get you closer than worrying about chords.

Of course, having the right tools is important. But even if you had a 909, roland spaceecho, prophet 5, etc, and a crazy good analog mastering studio at your disposal, you'd still have to extract sounds and shape things timbrally so that it's compelling to listen to. That's always the hardest part, especially with minimalist forms of music.

• As far as tools on ios that might be helpful for getting some of those timbres and textures, Firstly I'd go for the Fabfilter suite. AUM, or host of your choice, a handful of delays (RE-1, is the closest to a Roland on ios imo, but probably good to have several delays as they all have their own magic) and convolution reverb for depth and textural ambience.
    Drambo will be pretty ideal for drums and even synth stabs, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few others as well. Zeeon is my personal favorite and can certainly get you some nice chord stabbers.

• @waterdrop said:

@rs2000 said:

@Max23 said:
    hm
    that's nothing special

yes, of course the most important thing is balance and space in the mix. there’s nothing to add.

I've just done that in Groove Rider. Feel free to add to it, modify or build something new from it and upload your versions to patchstorage.
    https://patchstorage.com/rhythm-sound-never-tell-you-gr16-remake/

• @rs2000 said:

@waterdrop said:

@rs2000 said:

@Max23 said:
    hm
    that's nothing special

I've just done that in Groove Rider. Feel free to add to it, modify or build something new from it and upload your versions to patchstorage.

I never wanted to buy Grooverider, but I always wanted to support the developer. apparently now have to)

• @rs2000 said:

Thanks. This is very generous. Digging in now.

• @cian said:

@rs2000 said:

@waterdrop said:

@rs2000 said:

@waterdrop said:

@rs2000 said:

@Max23 said:
    hm
    that's nothing special

I never wanted to buy Grooverider, but I always wanted to support the developer. apparently now have to)

You might want to listen to it before, so here's a clip of the pattern:

• edited December 2019
  • @Max23 said:
    hm> @rs2000 said:

@cian said:

@rs2000 said:

@waterdrop said:

@rs2000 said:

@waterdrop said:

@rs2000 said:

@Max23 said:
    hm
    that's nothing special

You might want to listen to it before, so here's a clip of the pattern:

hm these chords sound more like bellish fm
    in the original I hear soft formants (u,o,ö,ä) ;)
    dont you hear that?
    it changes with the chords
    it makes this subtil singing in the background ...

the rest is pretty close

That's the hardest part to get "right", agreed.
    No FM involved though, just a few pitched noise tracks.
    Make a drambo patch and upload it, any improvement is welcome! ;)

• edited December 2019