Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM effects automation conundrum

Hi!
I have a question regarding AUM and midi automation on effects. I know this can be done with synths on input “sources” (and people have described this option in the audiobus forum), but I cannot find a way to do it on the “inserts & effects” part. The closest I have gotten to something slightly similar to what I want is using Turnado as an effect (let’s say in channel1), and having Perforator (which I have as an effect on channel2) as a midi source. For reasons that are beyond my comprehension Perforator is able to control the first two knobs in Turnado. I have not found a way to select which knobs to control, it just sends a signal to knobs 1 and 2:

Now, if I keep that setup and use WOW (another sugarbytes effects as you guys know) instead of Turnado nothing happens. Not sure if this behavior is due to Turnado appearing as an audio unit extension, whereas WOW appears only under “inter-app audio”. The thing is that I would love to control WOW with Perforator, or at least be able to control which knobs are being controlled in Turnado by Perforator. Is this possible?
Oh, and a second question (I hope it is not bad etiquette posting these under the same thread). Is it possible to play a synth in AUM and record that “loop”? I do not mean record the audio, I just want the notes I played on the synth or keyboard to be played continuously, so that I can play with the cutoff or any other parameter while that line is playing.
Can audiobus do any of these things (i.e. contro effects parameters through midi or loop a midi recording?)

Thanks!

Comments

• Dean from Electronicsounds has a video that may help

• @robosardine said:
    Dean from Electronicsounds has a video that may help

Thanks, I have seen that video, but he is controlling a synth in the input source. I can do that no problem, the issue is when I try to control an effect. AUM does not give you (as far as I can tell) the same routing capabilities when it comes to effects as opposed to input sources.

• If you long press on the dials you have circled then that brings up the midi cc numbers and midi learn.

• @robosardine said:
    If you long press on the dials you have circled then that brings up the midi cc numbers and midi learn.

Sweet! Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted! Maybe this is obvious, but just in case someone looks at this thread. By adding multiple Perforators in the same effect chain you can control different parameters in Turnado (or any other effect app I suppose). Perforator is able to assign cc channels to different patterns, so all it takes is to make each knob in Turnado learn that. Thanks robosardine!

• edited December 2019

If you're using AUM you can also use midi learn on the AU parameters of Turnado (under the midi control page in AUM for the track which has Turnado) for better control than the built in midi learn in the gui.
    WOW isn't AU yet, but I expect they'll update that at some point.

• @Carnbot said:
    If you're using AUM you can also use midi learn on the AU parameters of Turnado (under the midi control page in AUM for the track which has Turnado) for better control than the built in midi learn in the gui.
    WOW isn't AU yet, but I expect they'll update that at some point.

Thanks! will try that. So far it has worked pretty good :)