Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why is the iRig Keys I/O line not more popular?

Battery or USB powered. Has an audio interface. Has keys, pads, encoders, mod strips. Made for the iOS devices.

Yet I rarely ever see anyone use or talk about them. Is there something obviously bad about them that I'm missing?

The reason I ask is because I see it on sale now ($139 at Musicians Friend) and am tempted for an all-in-one.

Comments

• Don't think there's generally a lot of trust for IK around these parts. That single review up on MF doesn't really inspire extra confidence. Reviews aren't much better on Amazon.

• I've had the iRig keys pro for a few years (full-sized but without the audio interface of the I/O) and it has worked great for my needs, no complaints.

• I have the 25 key version of the I/O. I rarely use it because I can’t be bothered to go dig up the proprietary cable that comes with it. For gods sake IK, what the hell is wrong with a micro cable?

• I have it (got a great deal) and these are the reason why i don't use it more often:
    -Pads are too small
    -Proprietary cable

• I looked at one of those to replace my Novation XioSynth which is a synth, audio interface, keyboard and midi interface. It’s battery, usb or adaptor powered. It’s fantastic.

The IK one doesn’t feel as nice, either the keyboard or the general construction. The power adaptor is extra, it doesn’t have MIDI IN/Out ports and the main cable is proprietary.

Those things together ruled it out for me and I’ve stuck with my battered XioSynth.

But the proprietary cable is enough of a reason for me to rule it out to be honest.

• People complain about micro USB on other controllers/interfaces, this is a secure connection and the cable is included so it isn't an additional cost.

There are many who really do enjoy the iRig Keys I/O line (a comment above elaborates), it is popular but perhaps some here don't for whatever reason (as also elaborated by a comment above). To each their own.

Simeon from PraiseTracks really loves his https://praisetracks.com/ik-multimedia-irig-keys-i-o-49-just-right/

He also did a video more recently

• @ikmultimedia said:
    People complain about micro USB on other controllers/interfaces, this is a secure connection and the cable is included so it isn't an additional cost.

Micro USB is the worst!

The xiosynth used a type B connector which is fine. I know it’s included but cables are easy to lose. Anything USB or even any Apple cable is fairly easy to find in a hurry. I have loads of usb cables lying around. Gigs are the best place to lose cables. I’ve always carried spares and they’ve come i useful before.

There are many who really do enjoy the iRig Keys I/O line (a comment above elaborates), it is popular but perhaps some here don't for whatever reason (as also elaborated by a comment above). To each their own.

Of course. The question was why the irig doesn’t seem to be more popular. The reasons I gave above are why I skipped even though I was looking for something that was like the Xiosynth.

The xiosynth is pretty much spot on. It’s annoying to me that nobody, especially Novation, don’t make something like it. The irig keys io is the closest to it. I wanted one, but I’m done with proprietary cables.

One Additional reason. I can use my XioSynth with my MacBook Pro without using any adaptors. I just bought a type B to usb C lead and it worked perfectly.

It’s lasted through usb A, usb-C, and also 30 pin and lightning connectors via the CCk. I know the CCk is proprietary but at least that’s the only dongle I need and anything Apple is fairly easy to replace. And that one dongle has multiple uses. At least iPad Pro’s have USb C now so they don’t need any proprietary leads.

I’m not complaining, just explaining.

If IK made an irig keys without proprietary cables I’d probably already have it on my Xmas list.

• @ikmultimedia said:
    People complain about micro USB on other controllers/interfaces, this is a secure connection and the cable is included so it isn't an additional cost.

Simeon from PraiseTracks really loves his https://praisetracks.com/ik-multimedia-irig-keys-i-o-49-just-right/

He also did a video more recently

Make a version with regular USB cable and with bigger pads like on the irig pads 2×8 and you have a winner. Ohhh also make the stand part of the keyboard and more sturdy.
    Yes there are some people that are enjoying this keyboard as with any other product some will love it and some won't. The cable is a big deal for me. I'm afraud to loose it.

• One thing I will say about the mini-DIN connector is that they are pretty solid and I don’t worry about snapping them off like pretty much any other USB connector. I have iRig MIDI 2 and iRig HD or whatever the guitar one is. I’m always mixed about that mini-DIN connector, but it’s definitely sturdy after connected. It’s also nice that it is MiFi and you don’t need the CCK. That said, if you lose it you are out of luck until you can get an expensive replacement cable.

I’d consider getting one as my Roland PC-300 is seriously outdated as my only 49 key keyboard. I like that this keyboard is slim like my PC-300, but I don’t like the pitch and mod wheel or the fact that I don’t have even one standard MIDI out.

The guy in the video seems to think the keys feel alright and that would be my biggest concern.

• I’m just skeptical about IK Multimedia hardware, love their apps but haven’t had good luck with their hardware. My first IOS guitar interface was the first Irig and that thing would bleed audio on tracks when ever I tried to multI track with it or just sometime get a crazy hi pitched feedback , then I bought the first Irig keys, the micro usb was just terrible, it was just a problem with it all the time and the cable that connected it from the other output to my old iPad 2 stopped working , then one day several keys stopped working, eventually I just threw it in the trash. Now I have a blueboard and it pretty much works but I can’t update the firmware, it says blueboard not found , even though I have no problem using it with AmpliTube.
    I was really interested in getting the ILoud speaker and the ILoud monitors but I really don’t want to gamble on their hardware.

• @Strizbiz said:

I was really interested in getting the ILoud speaker and the ILoud monitors but I really don’t want to gamble on their hardware.

The iloud is fantastic, although the minijack is pretty loose on mine. I wouldn’t buy any other IK gear though.

• I have the irig pro and fairly happy with it but the propriety cables are a pain. I moved house and have no idea where some of my cables ended up.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited December 2019

Stupid proprietary cable that fits really badly (You have to force it in and do it enough times it will break, hot glue it in) the mono input is just ridiculous in the modern world and there is no excuse, IK are.......... fill in the blanks yourself, they have been.........for years now.
    Got mine for £15 brand new second handish, so they don't have much resale value either, but if you can get one that cheap, it's not terrible, full price ignore it.

• edited December 2019

I have the iLoud micro monitors and they're great.

Except for the horrible, thick, inflexible proprietary cable that connects the two speakers.

When they're not being used as monitors I like to use them as bluetooth bookshelf speakers. But moving them about and trying to find space for that cable is a PIA.

I would love them so much more if you could connect the two speakers with a standard speaker or audio cable. It's crazy that I can't use another cable permanently wired in along the back of the bookshelf so that I can leave the cable in place when I want to move the speakers.

I have had quite a few monitors over the years. I have a lovely pair of Tannoys with concentric tweeters. I have a cheap and cheerful pair of Alesis USB monitors/audio interface. I have had JBLs, Rogers, all sorts.

Apart from all being speakers, the other thing they had in common was every single cable required was standard. A standard IEE electrical socket for the active monitors. Standard speaker connections for the audio. Standard USB lead for the Alesis' Not one set of speakers I've ever owned other than the IKs have proprietary cables.

The worst cables I've ever had to connect two speakers together with respect to practicality, without a doubt, is the cable that comes with the iLouds. I have recommended the iLouds to a lot of people, but always have to temper my enthusiasm for the speakers themselves with the horrible interconnecting cable.

If I ever lose the cable or it breaks for some reason (which given the connectors is quite likely), I won't be replacing the cable, I will be replacing the speakers.

• edited December 2019

I really like the iRig Keys I/O!

I don’t own one, but I fell in love with it immediately when I tried it at a trade show. It has several standout features, not the least of which is that it gives you both a MIDI keyboard and audio interface in one! I also loved the action of the FULL SIZED keys (which are packed into a minimal footprint), and which is among best synth action I’ve played. I also immediately loved the pitch mod touch strip sliders. Super easy to use, efficient use of real estate, and unlike anything anyone else offers. And it comes with a cool little stand to hold your iPad, and a generous starter software package. AND you can power it with AA batteries! Does anybody else offer that?

The only real downside for me is the proprietary cable, which would be a pain if it went bad or you lost it. But think about it, when was the last time you had a standard USB or MIDI cable go bad? Never that I can think of in all my years. Do I wish it were a standard cable format? Yes. But hardly a deal-breaker flaw, IMO.

The main thing for me is the feel of the keyboard action and the mod/pitch sliders -- way better than average, IMO. On top of that you get Audio i/o, which also puts it ahead of the pack. It's not a perfect product, but overall 4 out of 5 stars for me.

• I was looking at the tiny one briefly and no pitch/mod is a no go, and the bigger ones have better options for less money.

• Not the keys version but the "IK Multimedia iRig PRO I/O" is the stupid deal of the day today at $90USD https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

• Hate the keyboard action. Feels exactly like the Korg Kross. Awful.