Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Which app records automation in the best way and why ?

Which apps that you use do automation recording in the best way, and why is that the best way for you ?

There are many apps with automation....which ones excel at it ?

Comments

• apeMatrix hands down, if I understood the question

• edited December 2019

I’m finicky when it comes to automation. AFAIK, No iOS app handles automation correctly, to my mind. Precious few PC apps do, either.

I like how Reason desktop does it: records automation for the entire length of your recording and preserves it all across splits, so if you cut it up and rearrange it, all the sections still sound the same. And when you start recording automation, it saves the start point of your parameter and reverts to that as the default where it isn’t automated. Also it has an option to record all automation into the note clip or into separate lanes.

NS2 is the closest thing to this on iOS. But it only preserves across splits if there are already points recorded on both sides of the split. If not, automation for the “empty” clip is discarded, and it may sound different if you re-order it. Also NS2 automation of instruments is limited to macros...but I could live with that if the splitting was fixed.

• edited December 2019

Cubasis but I don't really like it. The other DAWs I actually like don't do automation well (NS2 can record it but pain to set up, BM3 doesn't really record it.)

Gadget and Caustic 3 do it very well as far as standalone.

GR-16 and Electribe Wave for grooveboxes do too.

• I do like the way you can record automation in NS2 on a different lane. That's a really nice touch.

• Xequence 2 is goood for recording and editing automation, although it did take me a minute to figure it out.

• Xequence records automation as raw data points without any kind of vectorization or processing, so splitting recorded data is no problem. It can record each controller either into a separate lane inside the same clip (possibly shared with note data), or into any number of clips on separate lanes.

It also does controller backtracing so when the song position changes for any reason or a project is loaded, all controllers are at their correct (closest previous event in time) values and these values are also transmitted.

It essentially handles controllers like Cubase did in 1995 🙂

• GR-16.. easy as pie..