Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Convolution Pro by Jens Guell

I had a look on their website.

They've got a new dedicated Convolution Auv3 app coming soon it seems.

Very interesting.

Comments

• @Gravitas said:

Very interesting.

Wow!
    It's about time. :+1:

• @rs2000

Yeah, exactly.

If it's able to do really long convolutions then I'm definitely getting it.
    Do you know why Altispace reduces the convolutions to 4.5 secs?

• @Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Yeah, exactly.

If it's able to do really long convolutions then I'm definitely getting it.
    Do you know why Altispace reduces the convolutions to 4.5 secs?

Reducing the IR length to a reasonable amount is a means to keep CPU usage acceptable.
    Convolution with short sample lengths is easy but with increasing length, the required computation cost rises exponentially.
    With modern CPUs in our iDevices, the IR length could be longer of course.
    It makes sense to limit the length but 4.5s seems outdated, at least for modern devices.

• @rs2000

Yeah, I figured that much out for myself.
    If they were to remove that limitation?
    I would get an iphone specifically for convolution reverbs.
    I'm thinking about doing that in future anyway,
    getting another iPhone for effects duties that is.

• @Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Yeah, I figured that much out for myself.
    If they were to remove that limitation?
    I would get an iphone specifically for convolution reverbs.
    I'm thinking about doing that in future anyway,
    getting another iPhone for effects duties that is.

I'm getting in touch with Jens again and I'll ask him about that.
    I don't know your exact use case but if you were to combine convolution reverb with extremely long tails, classic convolution wouldn't make sense anyway, that could rather be solved by some kind of crossfade-looped impulse response or whatever other genius solution ;)

• @rs2000

Now that got me thinking.
    I could use an algorithmic reverb set to really long and
    send the signal out from the convolution reverb into that
    which will keep it all in real time.

Even if the impulse was looped it would still be reduced
    in length because of the apps limitation itself.

Using another reverb like that would open up even more sonic sculpturing.

Nice one.

• Iirc a common approch is to process the initial part by convolution and use algorithmic methods on long decays.

I've recently tested a cheap 1Ghz ARM-A7 board (Raspberry type, comparable to early IOS units) with PureData and a nice reverb/delay patch.
    Both internal and USB audio crackled, while the same patch ran flawless in OSX on a MacMini. I suspected interface problems... until looking on a performance meter.

100% load were reached frequently with nothing but that single reverb patch running.
    I have no details how it was created/compiled, but high level language and library functions are a reasonable guess, which probably applies to Altispace as well.
    Reverb is very time critical and may require significantly optimized code.
    The experience increased my respect for what Apple provides with their SDK significantly ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

Very interesting.

Wow!

the claim that it’s the first convolution au on ios is spurious!! Rooms! has been au for about 6 months now... but it does indeed look the business.. worth the £10 intro price at least.. how are the rest of their au’s ( i only have the free ones not having a great need for more filters ) are they stable, cool ( ie: not ipad hot spot creators like some apps ) and with au parameters exposed to hosts??

• @RockySmalls said:

@rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

Very interesting.

Wow!

the claim that it’s the first convolution au on ios is spurious!! Rooms! has been au for about 6 months now... but it does indeed look the business.. worth the £10 intro price at least.. how are the rest of their au’s ( i only have the free ones not having a great need for more filters ) are they stable, cool ( ie: not ipad hot spot creators like some apps ) and with au parameters exposed to hosts??

There's also the convo on iFX Rack. Definitely not the first but looks very promising.

• @RockySmalls said:

@rs2000 said:

@Gravitas said:

Very interesting.

Wow!

I guess I'm too stupid to get along with Rooms!.
    Been using AltiSpace preferably although it's IAA only, but I have no problems finding the EQ and envelope settings there ;)

The other JAF/JAX plugins do expose their parameters via AUv3 and I like their sound a lot.
    My personal favorite is the filter collection.

• @RockySmalls

Yep, their claim is spurious but their
    challenging statements don't go unnoticed.
    I think it's their humour.

The rest of Jens Guell's Auv's are pretty cool actually except
    that when you change the colours they don't remain
    and Model One? the gui is annoying to say the least on a small screen
    though innovative.
    The Stereo auv is lovely.
    Decimator?
    I can take or leave but it is handy having the filter on it.
    Make Louder does what it says and when they updated
    it with the red and green tube?
    I highly recommend it.
    Overall they sound good and that's what matters.

@rs2000

Rooms has an ugly interface, sorry to say but it's true.
    It's not even minimalist but the sound of it is really good
    once you get to grips with it.
    I had the convolution auv freebie from them and then I had to
    re-install it and the freebie had gone.
    Contacted the dev via here and no response so far
    in that regards.
    I'll get it eventually but it's sufficient to run as IAA for now.

Altispace is simply lovely except for the memory limitation and IAA
    I like the apps from this dev.
    Once or if he makes them auv then he's got them future proofed for sure.

• @Gravitas said:
    @RockySmalls

Yep, their claim is spurious but their
    challenging statements don't go unnoticed.
    I think it's their humour.

The rest of Jens Guell's Auv's are pretty cool actually except
    that when you change the colours they don't remain
    and Model One? the gui is annoying to say the least on a small screen
    though innovative.
    The Stereo auv is lovely.
    Decimator?
    I can take or leave but it is handy having the filter on it.
    Make Louder does what it says and when they updated
    it with the red and green tube?
    I highly recommend it.
    Overall they sound good and that's what matters.

@rs2000

Rooms has an ugly interface, sorry to say but it's true.
    It's not even minimalist but the sound of it is really good
    once you get to grips with it.
    I had the convolution auv freebie from them and then I had to
    re-install it and the freebie had gone.
    Contacted the dev via here and no response so far
    in that regards.
    I'll get it eventually but it's sufficient to run as IAA for now.

Altispace is simply lovely except for the memory limitation and IAA
    I like the apps from this dev.
    Once or if he makes them auv then he's got them future proofed for sure.

definitely, Rooms! is lacking settings and is very inscrutable when you do find them and i don’t think it ever had any automatable parameters?.. not ideal but it was first to give us a taste of that joy in au so credit where a merit is due :)
    all yr comments make me happy to pre-pay for this one and enjoy an xmas applying giant Turkey Shed convolutions to all my tracks!! anyone got that one as an impulse file? :)

• @RockySmalls

Yeah, I agree, credit where credits due.
    Ermmm giant Turkey Shed convolution????
    That's funny.
    😁

• i'm pretty curious what will be CPU load.... rooms has terribly high CPU load, iFX is a bit better.. lets see how optimised will be this one :-)

• Looking at the screenshot on his site:
    https://midi.digitster.com/

Yeah, this looks like it will cover a lot of options. You can timestretch the convolution, pitch it, set an envelope... Allows you to get really creative.

Now if only we knew what the max size was.

• Looks good, will definitely get this. Already have rooms but can't have enough reverb options, especially convolution.

• @dendy said:
    i'm pretty curious what will be CPU load.... rooms has terribly high CPU load, iFX is a bit better.. lets see how optimised will be this one :-)

Do you find Rooms to have noticeably higher CPU use than AltiSpace or iFX or Fiddlicator when using the same IR? They've seemed similar to me. Convolution is a CPU-intensive process.

• @cian said:
    Looking at the screenshot on his site:
    https://midi.digitster.com/

Yeah, this looks like it will cover a lot of options. You can timestretch the convolution, pitch it, set an envelope... Allows you to get really creative.

Now if only we knew what the max size was.

Jens just responded and told me he had no plans to limit the IR length, so in fact you'll be able to find the limits of your individual device for yourself ;)

• @rs2000

Now that is great news.

Definitely getting it.

• @Gravitas said:
    @rs2000

Now that is great news.

Definitely getting it.

Fwiw, Rooms doesn't limit IR length. I believe that long IRs will have a big CPU hit with any convolution app.

• Yeah, I've run into CPU limits with Rooms with long IRs, like 7 seconds.

• @auxmux said:
    Yeah, I've run into CPU limits with Rooms with long IRs, like 7 seconds.

oh! shame, 7 secs doesn’t seem so long a convolution to me, i mean in weird sound design terms rather than reverb uses.. i used to use Audition conv with quite substantial imps.. though that was never real time... i suppose we should get cracking on a letter to santa via the Goldwave ios people for that option to be implemented there...
    i will still get this one ..99% certain.

• Yeah it's going to depend upon how good the developer is. Convolution is a pretty easy thing to parallelize, but effective use of parallelization requires quite a bit of developer skill. Judging by the filters he's already developed though, he knows what he's doing. I guess I'll take advantage of the early order on this when it's available.

• @cian said:
    Yeah it's going to depend upon how good the developer is. Convolution is a pretty easy thing to parallelize, but effective use of parallelization requires quite a bit of developer skill. Judging by the filters he's already developed though, he knows what he's doing. I guess I'll take advantage of the early order on this when it's available.

It is not clear that you can even do parallelization of audio processing in an AUv3.

@auxmux : on what hardware were you running and what else was running when you had problems with a 7 second IR in Rooms?

• I mean using intrinsics for vectorization. That will work in AUv3.

• @espiegel123 said:

@cian said:
    Yeah it's going to depend upon how good the developer is. Convolution is a pretty easy thing to parallelize, but effective use of parallelization requires quite a bit of developer skill. Judging by the filters he's already developed though, he knows what he's doing. I guess I'll take advantage of the early order on this when it's available.

It is not clear that you can even do parallelization of audio processing in an AUv3.

@auxmux : on what hardware were you running and what else was running when you had problems with a 7 second IR in Rooms?

I was using an iPad Pro 2016. I think I tested with only one AU in AUM. It was a while back.

• @auxmux said:

@espiegel123 said:

@cian said:

I was using an iPad Pro 2016. I think I tested with only one AU in AUM. It was a while back.

I am surprised that this usedtons of CPU on that configuration. 7 second IR doesn't kill the CPU on my iPad 6th gen.

• i can run 3 or 4 instances of Rooms! with 3.5sec long IR on my iPhone 6S