Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Zoom H6 - Multitrack interface working with iPad Pro 2018

Hi,

I thought this may be helpful for some folks.

I got a Zoom H6 and verified that it works as a multitrack interface in Cubasis. The neat thing is it worked both on batteries and using the USB out as power source.

Of course, I havent extensively tested every scenario but this is a goo start.

Comments

• Thanks for reporting. What model device do you have?

• Thats one thing that drives me crazy about the Zoom H4n Pro. It has to be used with a powered usb hub. I don't have the wall wart for it so I cant test that but I would assume since it is battery operated that it work straight into the CCK, nope. I did just discover that if you have the CCK being charged via a USB3 port, it will work but the Zoom still needs batteries.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Ben said:
    Thanks for reporting. What model device do you have?

I have the iPad Pro 2018 12.9 256 GB.

• @geophilips said:
    Hi,

I got a Zoom H6 and verified that it works as a multitrack interface in Cubasis. The neat thing is it worked both on batteries and using the USB out as power source.

@geophilips said:
    Hi,

@geophilips said:
    Hi,

@Ben said:

@Ben said:

@geophilips said:
    Hi,

• Hi there,

Has anybody tried using Garageband iOS/iPad Pro with the H6? I’m using the new Hyperdrive for iPad as an interface but can only use the H6 (in audio interface mode) in a “stereo’ mix mode, and not as individual audio tracks-to-inputs. Which of course is what I want to do.

I’m wondering - maybe using the Hyperdrive is the problem? What is everyone using as an interface; the USB -C camera connection kit? (Assuming we are still talking about the 2018 iPad Pro).

Or perhaps I need to look into another app as my “DAW”?

Any help is appreciated - Thanks!

• @robotbarbarian maybe you mean hyperdrive as USB hub...?! If so, then yes, definitely the hyper crap is the problem. I have it too and it’s not capable of midi and some of my 3.5mm jacks are not recognized. I got first a cheap amazon hub that does the job completely. Maybe you and i get to contact the support again and they get their act together and work on another FW update to make it work as supposed!!?

• @geophilips said:
    Hi,

Also ...Zoom H5 works too on ios

• Speaking of Zooms (!) ,the old zoom H2 works thru hub only, and the R16 doesn't work at all ...

• Can you explain what exactly is meant by multitrack interface? I think i have an imagination but I cant wrap my head around the H5/H6 being such a device... thanks guys!

@hisdudeness said:

@geophilips said:
    Hi,

• Zoom H1n also works on IOS as a audio interface and as a Card Reader, and is powered by IOS. Bought one last week for €79,-

• @david_2017 said:
    Can you explain what exactly is meant by multitrack interface? I think i have an imagination but I cant wrap my head around the H5/H6 being such a device... thanks guys!

@hisdudeness said:

@geophilips said:
    Hi,

I assuming the original post, meant multi channel/track audio interface, which Zoom H5 is perfectly capable
    Shows up nicely in AUM

• @david_2017
    It could be referred to as a 'USB hub' seeing that the only real way the Hyperdrive is going to communicate with the iPad (albeit USB-A/USB-C). I used the term 'audio interface' first, because that is the mode that the H6 offers to communicate as a full duplex device. Also, that is a common term used in audio recording (mainly with the use of computers) for interfacing audio components.

I have no problem getting MIDI to work. I'm using an Akai MIDI controller and it's interfaced via USB-B to USB-C going into the Hyperdrive. No configuring or the need for Audiobus - it just works! Crazy! Haha

Last night I was able to make more progress toward getting this system of mine to work. I was able to configure (3) tracks in Audiobus and assign in Garageband coming from H6 and Hyperdrive. I got levels on all tracks and was able to 'record' them'. Though Garageband showed that there was recording going on, the actual audio was not recorded. A small step forward. Audiobus does recognize the H6 though which is something I had not seen before.

The way I've seen it done online was someone using the H5 and Garageband (and no Audiobus) with the camera connection kit and they were able to record individual tracks simultaneously.

All,

I'll pose the question again - what are people using as an interface with the iPad? I'm using the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9"

• @robotbarbarian said:
    @david_2017
    It could be referred to as a 'USB hub' seeing that the only real way the Hyperdrive is going to communicate with the iPad (albeit USB-A/USB-C). I used the term 'audio interface' first, because that is the mode that the H6 offers to communicate as a full duplex device. Also, that is a common term used in audio recording (mainly with the use of computers) for interfacing audio components.

I have no problem getting MIDI to work. I'm using an Akai MIDI controller and it's interfaced via USB-B to USB-C going into the Hyperdrive. No configuring or the need for Audiobus - it just works! Crazy! Haha

Last night I was able to make more progress toward getting this system of mine to work. I was able to configure (3) tracks in Audiobus and assign in Garageband coming from H6 and Hyperdrive. I got levels on all tracks and was able to 'record' them'. Though Garageband showed that there was recording going on, the actual audio was not recorded. A small step forward. Audiobus does recognize the H6 though which is something I had not seen before.

The way I've seen it done online was someone using the H5 and Garageband (and no Audiobus) with the camera connection kit and they were able to record individual tracks simultaneously.

All,

I'll pose the question again - what are people using as an interface with the iPad? I'm using the 2018 iPad Pro 12.9"

Audiofuse .. has everything.. including Midi hub

• @geophilips said:

good info, thanks. This spring I visited a friend who has a H6, to test if it will work or not, but I forgot to bring a mini-USB cable with me. Next time I won't forget the cable, that's for sure.

• @Korakios said:
    Speaking of Zooms (!) ,the old zoom H2 works thru hub only, and the R16 doesn't work at all ...

Confirmed not working with the R16, just tried it.

• edited June 2019

@gmslayton said:
    Thats one thing that drives me crazy about the Zoom H4n Pro. It has to be used with a powered usb hub. I don't have the wall wart for it so I cant test that but I would assume since it is battery operated that it work straight into the CCK, nope. I did just discover that if you have the CCK being charged via a USB3 port, it will work but the Zoom still needs batteries.

To clarify, the Zoom H4n still needs a powered USB and batteries to work with CCK or it's ok with batteries and CCK?

Looking at portable audio interfaces for iPad. Want something relatively inexpensive with 4 XLR inputs and can be USB / battery powered. H6 is a bit too expensive.

• edited June 2019

@nondes said:

@gmslayton said:
    Thats one thing that drives me crazy about the Zoom H4n Pro. It has to be used with a powered usb hub. I don't have the wall wart for it so I cant test that but I would assume since it is battery operated that it work straight into the CCK, nope. I did just discover that if you have the CCK being charged via a USB3 port, it will work but the Zoom still needs batteries.

To clarify, the Zoom H4n still needs a powered USB and batteries to work with CCK or it's ok with batteries and CCK?

Looking at portable audio interfaces for iPad. Want something relatively inexpensive with 4 XLR inputs and can be USB / battery powered. H6 is a bit too expensive.

I've heard about people using a Behringer UMC404HD with a USB power bank (it runs from 5VDC!)
    If you choose the power bank "wisely", you can even mount it inside the UMC404, saving more space.

• @rs2000 that is an option since I have 5v DC to USB RipCord, but I want something more compact. And I have umc1820 already.

• @nondes said:
    @rs2000 that is an option since I have 5v DC to USB RipCord, but I want something more compact. And I have umc1820 already.

Zoom U-44 plus XLR plug-in then?
    But it's not exactly compact either.

• Yeah, considering u-44 but read a review that said headphone out is not loud enough? Has anyone used it here? It might be closest to what I'm looking for.

• edited December 2019

I was testing my H6 today, and while the MultiTrack definitely shows up in AUM, i don’t hear anything playing on the selected Channel. I can only hear audio when it’s set to Stereo Mix on the H6.

What are you all doing in AUM when the H6 is set to MultiTrack in order to get the audio to stream into the AUM Channel?

I’m plugging the H6 into the official Apple Camera Connection kit on my USB-C era iPad Pro.

Thanks for the help.

• edited December 2019

@auxmux said:
    Yeah, considering u-44 but read a review that said headphone out is not loud enough? Has anyone used it here? It might be closest to what I'm looking for.

ive been using u44 for a couple years now, i mean u kinda end up turning it up most of the way but ive never been dissapointed or needed max volume YMMV
    It is pretty compact for my purposes, it fits just about every bag I have and the XLR attachment is easy to remove and small enough to ride along. Its pretty big all connected up tho, but meh. I love it mostly for the battery operation and the upward facing jacks. very convenient

• @echoopera said:
    I’m plugging the H6 into the official Apple Camera Connection kit on my USB-C era iPad Pro.

it may be better to use a USB-C hub. Then you can attach more then one device.

• @Phil999 said:

@echoopera said:

it may be better to use a USB-C hub. Then you can attach more then one device.

But this won’t solve my multi track problem. I’ve plugged it into a hub and still no multitrack support on iPadOS. 🤔

• you may have done it already, but just to be sure, go into H6's menu and configure as USB device. It should ask for it when connecting anyway, so I guess this is not the problem. Then, I think, in certain apps like Auria and others, it should be recognised with multiple outputs.

• Thanks yeah it sounds like it might only work in AP.

• Well did some more testing. I can only get Stereo Mix to work for me when routing audio from the H6 to my usb-c iPad Pro. Multitrack just shows up as Channels in AUM, but no audio is plumbed thru so i can’t record any audio via MT on the iPad.

My hope was to get MT working in AUM to record a couple synths and mics connected to the H6...guess it’s one take a time for now.

If anyone can offer some insight, would greatly appreciate it 👊🏼™️

• The user and all related content has been deleted.