Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Playset new Drum and Synth Sequencer from FingerLab.

I’ve seen better demo videos !

Comments

• Are some devs losing the plot with apps like this ! Seems so retro and like going back 8 years in music app terms or is that just me ! Similar to Bleass but with a lot less functionality!

• This just came up on my YouTube subscriptions feed. Honestly I don't know that this brings anything new to IOS music making that dozens of other apps do really well. The only thing is that it is compact and has some really nice FX that seem to be built in.

I usually buy Fingerlab's stuff, starting years ago with DM1, but I think I'll skip this one.

• Terrible demo video (is it AU host or AU instrument ? )
    Also is that a really really good voice synthesizer doing that demo, its said “flang” instead of “flange” and “disto” instead of “distortion” neither of which have I ever heard a real human say before haha.

• 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔...

• Don’t know about AU they didn’t say host or instrument

• The only app I’m getting now after the BF sale in December will be Drambo !

• edited December 2019

I would say meh... anyway it’s a AU plugin

• LOL. Looks terrible, even at £3.99. Out of all the recent drum app releases, this one undoubtedly looks bottom of the pile. Strange, given their pedigree.

• edited December 2019

It does seem a step back from DM1 and DM2. I would love to convince the developer to upgrade those two apps to AU. I bet there would be healthy new sales from the NS2 users and the wider AU crowd who may have steered clear as they are currently IAA.

Maybe this Playset is just minimum viable product and the features are on their way? Maybe it will be a reskinned DM1? Definitely not calling me yet. [Edit: no, this is more of a groovebox].

• Pretty sure this one’s targeted at the young / the young at heart. I’m all in ..for my son ..I swear.. B)

• @Proppa said:
    Pretty sure this one’s targeted at the young / the young at heart. I’m all in ..for my son ..I swear.. B)

Look forward to his review :)

• @Proppa said:
    Pretty sure this one’s targeted at the young / the young at heart. I’m all in ..for my son ..I swear.. B)

Having read the overview on their website, I have to agree. I think it's aimed at the casual user rather than anyone more 'serious' about making music (not that I'm any good, you understand...!). I think I'll be giving it a miss.

• Promise we’ll report back.

Please look forward to: “In all of my 2.5 years on this planet I’ve never ______ ______ __ . . . “

• Might be interesting as midi sequencer, but agreed on looks, very old school.

• Yeah wow... really like an 'old school' music app, except with up-to-date stuff like AUv3.

I can't think this is a bad thing. More simple, 'stripped-down' apps like this are important for first-timers — people who are curious about making music but don't know where to begin. But many of those older apps are disappearing as iOS updates again and again.

Plus, although in terms of functionality it may not offer anything new, ease of use and simple visual appeal are also very important, even for experienced music-makers. The limitless possibility presented by a full DAW and a hundred synth and effect plugins can be paralysing. Having something simple, limited, and fun, to just mess around with, can lead to greater productivity (not to mention pleasure) in the long run.

• edited December 2019

Doug is on the case to show the app off.

The secrets are out !

• @Jumpercollins Thank you, I was about to post the video 😎👍

• Well done Sir Doug. Perfect intro app. Wish I had access to it a few years ago to give to young fella-me-lad. Mostly of course because it has the DM1 song mode which is still one of the best out there.

• Does this do midi out as an au? If so could be a good little au sequencer?

• Midi export > @gregsmith said:

Does this do midi out as an au? If so could be a good little au sequencer?

Could be pretty handy if there is midi out.. Export Midi..

• Playset is out now !

• Did the preorder. Cancelled it. Bought at full price. It’s a meh for me. No velocity or probability editor, only two octaves ‘playable with the synths, no editable parameters for the synths, no samples importer.
    At this stage for me it is a toy but not very integrabile in my aum workflow.
    I hope the will introduce this features because it could be a good app. It has potential.

• What a curious move from Fingerlab who were much more imaginative with products like Musyc pro, DM1/DM2 etc. Playset is a very simple app that seems to be addressed to... in fact I don’t know who is the target here. The app is not bad at all but the AU implementation is disappointing - no midi out, midi in cannot be recorded (or I don’t understand how to do it), instruments cannot be tweeked (only effects can change the way it sounds)...
    I wonder if this is only a first draft and that some more features will be delivered in the futur

• After latest update the auv3 plugin is out of tempo. Is ok if used like IAA with AL enabled but if you use it like auv3 is faster then other instruments played. I really hope they will fix this.

• @Proppa said:

I like those 10 beats and yesterday they convinced me to take the plunge and buy Playset.
    At first in December, I shared pretty much all the reservations above about it (limited sounds, can't import own samples, limited editing...) but I liked its UI.

I bought it as a way to make some good sounding patterns simply and quickly and then export them to add my Memory Collection samples on top.

Also on the plus side, the audio can be exported as a single mix or as separated tracks, each channel of the mixer has a pitch control to quickly transpose a part, each drum sample has its own channel and good FXs.

Here's the first pattern I created with it: