Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Extremely high end interface for iPad??

Looking to get thoughts/suggestions/info on a very high end A/D -D/A interface suggestions for iPad. Something at least on par with a apogee symphony I/O would be ideal. Thanks 🙏

Comments

• edited November 2019

I use a Lynx Hilo, class compliant, works great. Likely upgrading to an Aurora soon, that would have the IO you're looking for.

• You believe the m4 is on par with the apogee symphony I/O?

• @Tarekith said:
    I use a Lynx Hilo, class compliant, works great. Likely upgrading to an Aurora soon, that would have the IO you're looking for.

With it being class compliant are there any tricky work arounds that u find you have to use? For instance some interfaces don’t put the phantom power as a physical button so it’s tricky and requires a computer to activate it etc etc...just curious

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

You believe the m4 is on par with the apogee symphony I/O?

These have just been released, I'm not familiar with the apogee symphony but motu stuff is generally regarded as extremely high end.

• Depends on your budget..I think the Clarett series from Focusrite might do it for a relatively "cheap" price.

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@Tarekith said:

With it being class compliant are there any tricky work arounds that u find you have to use? For instance some interfaces don’t put the phantom power as a physical button so it’s tricky and requires a computer to activate it etc etc...just curious

Pretty sure all the Lynx stuff has an iPad app for that sort of thing, I know the Hilo does and I'd assume the Aurora does as well. The Hilo has a nice touch screen built in too, so you can set and monitor everything there too.

• RME Fireface interfaces

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

You believe the m4 is on par with the apogee symphony I/O?

These have just been released, I'm not familiar with the apogee symphony but motu stuff is generally regarded as extremely high end.

@crony said:
    Depends on your budget..I think the Clarett series from Focusrite might do it for a relatively "cheap" price.

Thanks for the suggestions 🙏

• @Tarekith said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@Tarekith said:

Pretty sure all the Lynx stuff has an iPad app for that sort of thing, I know the Hilo does and I'd assume the Aurora does as well. The Hilo has a nice touch screen built in too, so you can set and monitor everything there too.

Did not know that, thanks

@Apex said:
    RME Fireface interfaces

I will check those out thanks

• Audient ID44 with 4 analog in/outs and 2x 8 Adat channels for digital data.
    Audient uses the same preamps through all their gear, so an ID4 is sufficient to capture that tone (guitar/bass DI, too), but the monitor section of ID4, ID14, ID22 is quite different.

The latter 3 feature the same Mac/PC control panel for signal routing which does NOT store it's settings on the device.
    Doesn't matter with the simple ID4, but is very unconvenient with ID14 and ID22.
    (unless you get along with the default configuration you have to do the setup on Mac/PC and then plug it into an IOS device without power down)
    With the ID44 you have to do it only one time and the setup is kept onboard.

The mic preamps are simple, discrete transistor designs of exceptional quality - it's a matter of taste if one prefers the ultra-clean PGA2500 ICs featured in RME and UAD interfaces.
    Audient's design is located between these and the vintage Telefunken V676.
    (I have an iCA4+, ID22 and V676 and prefer the ID22 for monitoring critical mixes)

Bought the ID22 when it was released for $500 and considered it budget for the sound delivered, today you get twice the number of channels with the ID44.

Sidenote: the first ID22s had a design flaw in the cooling of the main voltage regulation IC, so check 2nd hand units for faint high frequency sounds close to the box as an indicator.
    There's a small cooler glued to the chip and if it comes off the unit will fail - I repaired mine (after 3 years) with a bigger cooler and better mechanical attachement.
    The design may have changed in later releases of the interface.

• RME stuff is legit.

• RME baby face. This will be my next audio interface purchase

• @hansjbs said:
    RME baby face. This will be my next audio interface purchase

Pro or the new Pro FS?

• Pro of course. Works well with the iPad.

• @hansjbs said:
    Pro of course. Works well with the iPad.

Ok, any luck on Iphone? have u seen the new Babyface Pro FS?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@hansjbs said:

The pro fs doesn’t work with iOS. I don’t have an iPhone so I don’t know but it says iOS so I’m guessing yes.

• edited November 2019

@Telefunky

I did not know this about the iD44. I have an iD14 that I adore, except the only way I can get it set up any way aside from the default on iOS is by setting it up in my desktop and swapping the usb connection to iPad while it’s plugged into DC. Output 3/4 isn’t even separate on default so independent monitoring isn’t even possible. However, if the iD44 retains settings, that’s fantastic. I just added an 8 in adat; being able to add 2 would be great. Can you confirm the iD44 would allow for separate headphone monitoring and supporting 16 in ADAT and whatever sync options I previously selected via iOS without my ‘keeping it powered after desktop setup’ trick? Thanks!

@Telefunky said:
    Audient ID44 with 4 analog in/outs and 2x 8 Adat channels for digital data.
    Audient uses the same preamps through all their gear, so an ID4 is sufficient to capture that tone (guitar/bass DI, too), but the monitor section of ID4, ID14, ID22 is quite different.
    With the ID44 you have to do it only one time and the setup is kept onboard.

• @hansjbs said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@hansjbs said:

The pro fs doesn’t work with iOS.

Really!? That sucks

I don’t have an iPhone so I don’t know but it says iOS so I’m guessing yes.

Ok I’ll look into it

• I can't confirm it because I don't have an ID44, but the headphone outputs can be assigned to any 2 channel pairs the router supplies (in the output category).
    And what's assigned is stored within the interface - no more fear of power loss.

Same applies to digital sync, but you have to enter those settings that IOS will later expect on Mac/PC.
    The most reliable variant is to set the ID44 to clock master (then IOS will follow) and the (both) Adat boxes to slave.
    If one Adat is clock master and the ID44 becomes slave, IOS might follow if connected later, but might as well try to take over the ID44 as it's own slave.
    Unpredictable - and you can't slave the 2nd Adat box to the slaved ID44 anyway.
    (that's why studios with a lot of digital gear use a dedicated master clock device to distribute the same wordclock-signal to all devices)

• Where do folks think the Apogee Quartet fits into this conversation? I've been using the Duet and am after more inputs...

• @Ko said:
    Where do folks think the Apogee Quartet fits into this conversation? I've been using the Duet and am after more inputs...

I believe the duet to be = to the quartet. Just with more I/O. So if you like the sound of the duet u should be all good with the quartet.

The reason I didn’t bring it up is because just like the ‘one’ and ‘duet’, it isn’t fully compatible with the iPad Pro 2018 (although the quartet is the best off compared to all others due to physical knobs etc) and there is a chance that they may never fix/change that. And a company with such a close relationship with Apple, not being able/willing to fix something so trivial, and almost shrugging about it, makes me very unhappy, as I’m deeply invested with apogee.

Here’s what I believe to be the order from least to greatest with apogee...

Duet-quartet (iOS compatible)
    Element-ensemble
    Symphony I/O

• I ended up getting an RME Fireface UFX to have more io than the Apogee Quartet and it's class compliant (AUM is my mixer/recorder). I found the RME used with 45 days to try it out :)
    Does anyone have suggestions about what price point of mic pre I would need with the RME to get more of the sweetness I enjoyed with my Apogee Duet? Specific mic pres to look into? And any thoughts specifically about the FMR Audio RNP8380 "Really Nice Preamp"? Would this preamp be a significant upgrade from what is in the RME? FMR can be found for $350 used and I've heard good things. Thanks in advance...

• The audiofuse?

• @TheDubbyLabby

SSL + 2 in 4 out.
    Broadcast quality preamps
    at a very affordable price.

I was about to start the process
    to design my own audio interface
    for iOS but at this price bracket the
    SSL will be difficult to beat if at all.

The Audiofuse though does give
    more ins and outs.

Eventually I’m going to get both.

• @Gravitas said:
    @TheDubbyLabby

SSL + 2 in 4 out.

more ins and outs.

I’m interested in the SSL 2+ for sure. I just grabbed the Motu M4 and I’m really liking it! It’s the best value I’ve seen so far. SSL might change that, but it’s really really nice.

• @Ko said:
    I ended up getting an RME Fireface UFX to have more io than the Apogee Quartet and it's class compliant (AUM is my mixer/recorder). I found the RME used with 45 days to try it out :)
    Does anyone have suggestions about what price point of mic pre I would need with the RME to get more of the sweetness I enjoyed with my Apogee Duet?

Both RME and Apogee use integrated 'mic-pres-on-a-chip', with RME it's Texas Instruments PGA 2500, Apogee's are made by THAT (forgot the type number).
    Apogee's budget line doesn't feature the soft limiting of their larger interfaces.

The PGA 2500 is (in)famous for it's extremely 'dry' soundprint, but that can turn to an advantage id you apply significant software processing (like amp/mic simulation, saturation etc). Probably the reason why UAD uses these chips in their Apollo interfaces, as these provide a ton of (quality) virtual gear and fx by their onboard Sharc DSPs.

If you're after a typical micpre sound and like 'Neve', the Golden Age Premier Pre 73 is a great device for about $500. The main difference to the lower priced Pre-73 devices is the Carnhill transformers in the Premier series.
    (but results also depend on microphones used, as you probably know...)

• @Gravitas said:
    @TheDubbyLabby

SSL + 2 in 4 out.

more ins and outs.

I'll check that out, had not considered yet, thanks!

• @Telefunky said:

@Ko said:
    I ended up getting an RME Fireface UFX to have more io than the Apogee Quartet and it's class compliant (AUM is my mixer/recorder). I found the RME used with 45 days to try it out :)
    Does anyone have suggestions about what price point of mic pre I would need with the RME to get more of the sweetness I enjoyed with my Apogee Duet?

Both RME and Apogee use integrated 'mic-pres-on-a-chip', with RME it's Texas Instruments PGA 2500, Apogee's are made by THAT (forgot the type number).
    Apogee's budget line doesn't feature the soft limiting of their larger interfaces.

The PGA 2500 is (in)famous for it's extremely 'dry' soundprint, but that can turn to an advantage id you apply significant software processing (like amp/mic simulation, saturation etc). Probably the reason why UAD uses these chips in their Apollo interfaces, as these provide a ton of (quality) virtual gear and fx by their onboard Sharc DSPs.

If you're after a typical micpre sound and like 'Neve', the Golden Age Premier Pre 73 is a great device for about $500. The main difference to the lower priced Pre-73 devices is the Carnhill transformers in the Premier series.
    (but results also depend on microphones used, as you probably know...)

Thanks, this is all helpful info. I have heard that results with a micpre vary depending on the microphone but don't know about what would be a good match for the ones I have, which are the Sure SM57 and a Sure KSM32. More research needed for sure, so much to learn!

• I admit being a fan of Shure's Unidyne capsules (in 57, 58 and SM7b).
    The first two are frequently dissed, most likely because of non-adequate preamps, but the capsule has a nice resolution.
    It's signature sound color is a love it or hate it thing - but it's got character. B)
    Those dynamics really live up with a Neve or Telefunken preamp (I have the latter one)