Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Multi FX Unit(hardware)-Performance Orientated

Is the Kaossilator still the king?

I am shocked as I do the pre Xmas gas lighting ceremony that my interest in a multi FX hardware unit lands me back at the same place it did years ago when I had this itch.

It seems like the quad model actually looks the best for performing.

I am interested in those who have Kaossilator pads and your current opinions or other options.

EvenTide multi unit, the white one, also wonders if you can run multi FX at once on it and the real cost if you add upgrades.

Thanks

Comments

• @RUST( i )K said:

EvenTide multi unit, the white one, also wonders if you can run multi FX at once on it and the real cost if you add upgrades.

I guess you mean the H9. You can only run one algo/fx instance at a time. But there are a number of algos which are essentially multi fx, e.g. Spacetime - unique to the H9 - which has both reverb and delay. If you get the max, you get all the fx. If you then get a core, you can copy all algos to 2nd and 3rd devices. The unit itself isn't "hands on" for live manipulations, but all the controls are freely assignable to CCs.

• Yep, I do have the Kaoss pad quad on my Arturia Drum Brute Impact, and it's good fun for live use !
    It's dead simple, no midi, just plug and play ! :)

• edited November 2019

@crony said:
    Yep, I do have the Kaoss pad quad on my Arturia Drum Brute Impact, and it's good fun for live use !

Absolutely.
    I won't get rid of my Kaoss Pad 2 because it works so well for live tweaks.
    I've never had the quad model under my hands though.

BTW, Kaossilator is like the synth version of the Kaoss Pad...

• I’m very happy with the Zoom MS-70CDR. Not exactly hands on though. The Alesis AirFX has surprisingly stuck around. Long discontinued, not high quality but something about playing the infrared beam is oddly satisfying.

• @ElectroHead said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I guess you mean the H9. You can only run one algo/fx instance at a time. But there are a number of algos which are essentially multi fx, e.g. Spacetime - unique to the H9 - which has both reverb and delay. If you get the max, you get all the fx. If you then get a core, you can copy all algos to 2nd and 3rd devices. The unit itself isn't "hands on" for live manipulations, but all the controls are freely assignable to CCs.

I do
    I was on a ladder at the time..lol

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    I’m very happy with the Zoom MS-70CDR. Not exactly hands on though. The Alesis AirFX has surprisingly stuck around. Long discontinued, not high quality but something about playing the infrared beam is oddly satisfying.

I will look into

• @crony said:
    Yep, I do have the Kaoss pad quad on my Arturia Drum Brute Impact, and it's good fun for live use !

That’s what I thought!

Damn hard to find in my area

• @RUST( i )K

Have you looked at the Empress Zoia? I have been gassing for it for a little bit now... not sure if I need it, but hey do I NEED anything...?

The answer is yes, yes I do.

• I think you mean Kaoss Pad as opposed to Kaossilator. I used to have quad and it is great but wouldn't fit on my desk. Kaoss Pad Mini S2 is currently part of my rig and it works great but unlike quad it only has 2 effects at a time and they are presets so you cannot really edit the combinations other than with the XY. No midi in, just beat detector which at times needs nudging by a cent either way but I've gotten used to it. Definitely good companion to circuit.

• I have both a Zoia and an H9.

I remember Rustik talking about Zoia before...

Zoia with only one knob and a display that some find "small" might be questionable as a "performance oriented" unit. I've used it in band rehearsals but just for dialing up presets and playing electric violin into it - not much hands-on action to speak of. I know other Zoia users got just about everything from home-made MIDI faders to FaderFox (not cheap, and requires extra cable adapters) to add more live performance flexibility. I'm still learning my way around the Zoia and haven't decided what I'd want to tweak in a given patch other than the usual LFO rate, LFO depth, etc. Once I do make those decisions, I'll probably use MIDI Designer to create an H9 Control like control layout for the Zoia. It's definitely "multi FX" in that you can hook up multiple effects modules up to the CPU limit. Ghost Reverb is the most CPU-hungry effects module inside Zoia, but the other reverb modules like Plate and Hall sound good enough to me.

• ElectraOne looks like a sweet controller for tweaking Zoia and H9 at the same time. I was tempted by the early bird special. But I'll have to get by with MIDI Designer Pro instead, for a realtime view of Zoia and H9 effects parameters and quick manual tweaks.

https://electra.one/

• What about buying a cheap iPad and audio interface and routing your master output from one device/laptop/etc through it with Turnado and or another multifx? Add a midi controller for hands on control.

• @RUST( i )K
    I don't think there's really an alternative to the Quad (except Kp2 or Kp3 maybe) if you want a live performance unit.

Until you get yourself one, you could toy around with "Elastic FX", "LiveFX" or, for a great mystical show, the old 32-bit "iRing FX" (if you've ever purchased it) for a while but it's not like a Kaoss Pad.

• Don’t forget the onboard sampling and resampling power of the KP3’s along with live automatic slicing/chopping in combination with its mixer. Very powerful indeed- you will make beats otherwise not possible.
    I don’t have the Quad anymore, but I remember an issue with it that irked me a bit- which was that you cannot set the level of the individual effects. The distortion and couple of others were just tooo loud. Otherwise it was a great tool as well.

• Kaoss Quad is superb but liveFx has motion and presets... maybe an old dock with old ipad... just sayin’...

About new fx tc helicon perform series are great (I have the vk) and also aira vt4...

• Not sure about live gig use, ( haven’t tried )
    Zoom ms70cdr and korg kaoss pad 2 s (sampler) are two fx units that I love to jam with live in my studio... the latter being more gig suited maybe...

• edited November 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

I was on a ladder at the time..lol

Go steady there mate. Posting on forums up ladders sounds like a "health and safety incident" waiting to happen!

I got a Korg KP2 years ago, but sold it on pretty quick. Nice concept, but I didn't like it's sound. Great if you want Lo-Fi, digital sounds, but that's it. On the newer models, they've still got synch only in / outs I see. This alone says "made for DJ mixers, not studio or FOH mixers",

@auxmux said:

What about buying a cheap iPad and audio interface and routing your master output from one device/laptop/etc through it with Turnado and or another multifx? Add a midi controller for hands on control.

This would probably be best bang for buck, but preferable to have the fx on send / return on a HW mixer, rather than putting the whole mix through A>D D>A .

If you're ok using a midi controller / iPad to control, some of the older rack multi fx are great value and sound infinitely better than the Korg KP2 (IMO).