Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the best groovebox app on iOS?

Comments

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    iDS-10 is another gem. The bingo cost me a lot of time but was a nice touch!

Hoping that voice synth with Kaoss pad arpeggiator shows up inside gadget one day.

Ahh that bingo, I never did finish it.
    This also made me remember that the iMS-20 and iPolysix apps are both grooveboxes too, having both drum and synth tracks, and song arrangement tools.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    If you’re enjoying the very limited free version I would highly recommend unlocking those instruments @audiorangutan

Preset saving has been announced and I would be very surprised if automation doesn’t appear. It’s been the most requested feature along with saving presets.

With the lack of automation they should at least have a lay out all of the synth controls on one screen. But eh, its ok for free, but those IAP add up.

• edited August 2019

I’m really enjoying Groovebox being driven by Step Poly Arp! Especially the electric guitar preset I made and shared here a while back; it sounds amazing on the Poly 8 synth I warm and analog!

Buying the packs is total with it especially for the drums and they also offer a bunch of free packs for each module.

If they add multi channel Midi out as a Pro paid IAP, I’m in head first!

@AmpifyxNovation Multi Channel Midi out IAP would send this App beyond the top!!! Multichannel Midi out please...😇❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

@AudioGus said:

@BlueGreenSpiral said:
    If you’re enjoying the very limited free version I would highly recommend unlocking those instruments @audiorangutan

Preset saving has been announced and I would be very surprised if automation doesn’t appear. It’s been the most requested feature along with saving presets.

With the lack of automation they should at least have a lay out all of the synth controls on one screen. But eh, its ok for free, but those IAP add up.

• @Crabman said:
    I don't have GR16 yet (high on my list) but love KEW.BUT for me Gadget is best Groovebox.I know,many says"DAW" but for me it's a groovebox on steroids with a little more comprehensive song mode ;)

Gadget + Warszawa + Stockholm is all you need IMHO if you don't need to use your own wavetables and need sample slicing often.

• @rs2000 said:

@Crabman said:
    I don't have GR16 yet (high on my list) but love KEW.BUT for me Gadget is best Groovebox.I know,many says"DAW" but for me it's a groovebox on steroids with a little more comprehensive song mode ;)

Gadget + Warszawa + Stockholm is all you need IMHO if you don't need to use your own wavetables and need sample slicing often.

Otherwise, GR16 can be a nice 16-timbral sound module :wink:

• Apologies if I’m misreading your comment @AudioGus

Getting the Pro IAP opens up all the instruments. There’s a lot of parameters that don’t show up on the free version.

The other IAP are just presets and pre-made patterns.

Automation and midi learn would be great to have.

• Elastic Drums is fun AF. Tried GR-16 but it takes tooooooo much time to use it :(

in ED u have some time restriction for Samples ? i load some but they sound short (?)

• edited August 2019

@raimundoarriagada said:
    in ED u have some time restriction for Samples ? i load some but they sound short (?)

I think it is around 5 seconds.

• edited August 2019

@raimundoarriagada said:

Just had a quick play and got a mic sample around 15 seconds in it. Need to experiment more later.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    iDS-10 is another gem. The bingo cost me a lot of time but was a nice touch!

Did you actually complete the bingo then? If so how!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

Getting the Pro IAP opens up all the instruments. There’s a lot of parameters that don’t show up on the free version.

Yes, I just wish they were all on one page so I could get every grubby little live jammy fingers on more of them. Having to scroll the UI side to side on my very accommodating 10.5 is very disappointing and keeps me from using it.

• Ah I didn’t realise the slide to see parameters was a thing on iPad @AudioGus

I’ve only been using Groovebox on the iPhone so far.

• I’m very close to completing the bingo @BiancaNeve

The grand prize is a different coloured UI and some presets.
    I was expecting a round the world cruise or something similar!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Ah I didn’t realise the slide to see parameters was a thing on iPad @AudioGus

I’ve only been using Groovebox on the iPhone so far.

That is one of the reasons I don't like iphone apps. It tends to hamper ipad potential. (Well, that and the fact I only have a 4S too ;) )

• I had one of those until lately @AudioGus

Grabbed a very cheap second hand iPhone SE and it’s a different world!

• Best for me is iKaossilator. You literally can’t do anything with it but compose music. But really if you like groove boxes you should get them all, gr-16, KEW, groovebox. They all have something fun and different from each other.

• I couldn’t get anything at all musical that I liked out of iDS10- but the vocoder thingy is pretty good.

• While it's not out yet I really do feel Drambo will be a serious contender in this area...

• edited August 2019

I think the free Roli Noise app is very good and fun to use:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1011132019

The sounds and IAP's are very good too.

You can export all loops in a project as wave files or export it as an Ableton Live Set.

Example of using loops from Roli Noise in BM3:

• Elastic Drums!
    I wish there were more than 16 steps..

• edited August 2019

TriqTraq
    Has Figure been mentioned yet?

• GR-16! I use NS2 for full productions, but it's more fun to craft something in GR-16, especially with trig conditions, groove templates, the ability to offset notes, randomize velocities, etc. And I can use it on both iPhone and iPad. ^_^ That's the best part.

• My fave is GR-16, which is weird because it's essentially a clone of the Korg E2, which I sold because I didn't really like the workflow. I then missed it and bought GR-16 and love it!

• "Groovebox" always means pattern-based workflow for me and my two favorites are GR-16 and Gadget, which is in some way a groovebox too.
    I once got me Electribe Wave just to have an app with a different workflow but for some reason I'm always going back to Groove Rider with my own wavetables, sliced loops and samples.

• Everyone knows it’s GR-16..

• I Definitely need to deep dive the GR-16 manual, but somehow my heart belongs to ED, Stroke Machine, in no order

• @rs2000 said:
    "Groovebox" always means pattern-based workflow for me and my two favorites are GR-16 and Gadget, which is in some way a groovebox too.
    I once got me Electribe Wave just to have an app with a different workflow but for some reason I'm always going back to Groove Rider with my own wavetables, sliced loops and samples.

I am just using Grooverider since one week and slowly getting into it... But slicing loops..? None of the tutorials I've watched so far were covering that... Any tips?

• @rs2000 : are you creating your own wavetables or finding serum tables you like?

• @uglyskratch said:

@rs2000 said:
    "Groovebox" always means pattern-based workflow for me and my two favorites are GR-16 and Gadget, which is in some way a groovebox too.

I am just using Grooverider since one week and slowly getting into it... But slicing loops..? None of the tutorials I've watched so far were covering that... Any tips?

Yes.
    Hit TRIGGER, tap on a part (pad) you want to put the sliced loop on.
    Hit Oscillator > WAVE, in the left LCD column scroll down to "User" and choose either a factory loop or "Load from AudioShare" on the bottom.
    Tap SLICE twice to see the whole breakbeat waveform.
    Hit the different pads and you'll see that each pad is set to play one of sixteen pre-set slices.
    If they're good, you're done already.
    If you want to move them, my personal fastest way is:

• Enable SHIFT lock by tap-dragging the SHIFT button downwards or upwards (will flash yellow)
    • hit each pad, roughly change "SLICE START" (and END if you like)
    • On the waveform display, tap and drag your finger down to the max (max. zoom level)
    • Hit each pad again and fine-tune if necessary. The display will automatically move to the point you're adjusting.
  • @espiegel123 said:
    @rs2000 : are you creating your own wavetables or finding serum tables you like?

The choice of freely available Serum wavetables has kept me busy enough but I have promised myself that I'll create my own for christmas :D