Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What is the greatest synth for bass poll

These are the nominated synths for the best bass synth category. If you don't see a synth listed that you think should have been listed, please mention it below, and explain why it should be listed. If you vote for Animoog, mention it in the comments.

Which synth is the best synth for bass on the ipad?
  1. Which synth is the best synth for bass on the ipad?57 votes
    1. Z3ta
        1.75%
    2. Thor
      12.28%
    3. iSyn Poly
        3.51%
    4. iMS-20
      17.54%
    5. iMini
      26.32%
    6. iSem
      26.32%
    7. Sunrizer
      10.53%
    8. Cube Synth
        1.75%

Comments

• Surprised not to see Animoog on the list

• Agreed. That is the one I prefer, but I didn't want to skew things with my comments.

• I like iMini and Thumbjam's bass - also really like Magellan too! Am not feeling the iSem bass though - but obviously in the minority on that one.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not that I'm familiar with it, but what about Chauliodus?

• Good question. I don't know anything about it either....

• @Brain said:

Not that I'm familiar with it, but what about Chauliodus?

http://www.forum.audiob.us/discussion/4536/looking-for-a-good-bass-machinesequencer-app-/p1

Take a look at this thread from May. I have Chauliodus. I wouldn't call it a great app, but it does something a little different with its sequencing options and LFO synch. It can sound meaner than a 303 but I found it a little hard to program.

• edited July 2014

Comparing bass synths is like comparing Flea to Pastorius. It is good to have a bunch of apps to try out especially when just starting to explore what's out there though. I never found tb303 emus to be fat enough but it seems most of people focus on the filter/distortion scream rather than the bottom end in this case. ISem has got a rich tone and that matters to me personally but may need quite a bit of tweaking to get good punchy results. The confusing UI certainly doesn't help.

• I just used imini on a recording last night, no stuck notes and sounds menacing, the good menacing. I'm still sticking with iSEM for live use.

• @supadom said:

Comparing bass synths is like comparing Flea to Pastorius. It is good to have a bunch of apps to try out especially when just starting to explore what's out there though. I never found tb303 emus to be fat enough but it seems most of people focus on the filter/distortion scream rather than the bottom end in this case. ISem has got a rich tone and that matters to me personally but may need quite a bit of tweaking to get good punchy results. The confusing UI certainly doesn't help.

You make an excellent point! :-)

• Bump. Any recent opinions on this topic?

• edited January 2016

FM4 and TF7 are where I start these days. Of course, I end up at Animoog.

• I'm currently getting what I feel is great sounding bass out of Gadgets wolfsburgh synth actually.

But for flexibility of patch design and sound I'd say:

• Thor
    • Z3ta (because of those wave shapes)
    • Sunriser

Depends on the type of bass you want I guess - I like to add movement and roughness and be able to modulate it in lots of weird ways.

Cyclop should be good - but I personally never quite got into it yet.

FM4 is cool too.

• My recent opinion is that apples are still apples and oranges are still oranges.

• Cyclop gets my vote.

• Got to go with Cyclop as well, it's specifically made just for nasty bass.

• Cyclob for me. Makes my subwoofer happy.

• It all depends on what kind of synth bass one is after doesn't it?
    Driving the filter in Lorentz produces pretty nasty Analogise bases while FM4 is well suited for FM-Type bass.

• Wavemapper through choice. Maybe TF7 second. If I wanted something they couldn't do, I'd use Synthmaster as it has great basses.

Magellan is probably the only other synth I've dabbled with for bass.

Out of the choice I've had to put Thor as I have made a bass or two for it, but I rarely use it, as I think it's in need of an update.

• Also Poseidon is capable of some extraordinary bass sounds.

I would have said SunVox, err I just did, but fear that the potential for bias might disqualify that suggestion :)

• iVCS3 and iTuttle should be mentioned. But iSEM is my go to bass.

• What do people think the best is for late '70s/early '80s analog synth bass?
    I have used iMS20, but the sequencer is a bit fiddly especially on an ipad mini.

• @Jocphone said:
    Also Poseidon is capable of some extraordinary bass sounds.

I would have said SunVox, err I just did, but fear that the potential for bias might disqualify that suggestion :)

Nothing wrong with SunVox, the 2OP FM is amazing for bass :)

I finally figured out how to partially substitute the lack of dedicated LFO in SunVox by using a Generator with Pitch set to C-0 and then detuning the generator down -75 semitones or so and feeding it to SoundCTL for modulating a parameter of choice. Too bad a Generator has to be fed a note as it chops up the LFO cycle on pattern-wrap, some day we may see a dedicated LFO that can be fed to any parameter/parameters and synced to ticks/lines/tempo.

Back to topic. iMini is pretty good for bass sounds too and since VCO3 can be used as modulator making it possible to do audio-rate pitch and filter-cutoff modulation some pretty meaty sounds.

• @Samu said:

@Jocphone said:
    Also Poseidon is capable of some extraordinary bass sounds.

Nothing wrong with SunVox, the 2OP FM is amazing for bass :)

I finally figured out how to partially substitute the lack of dedicated LFO in SunVox by using a Generator with Pitch set to C-0 and then detuning the generator down -75 semitones or so and feeding it to SoundCTL for modulating a parameter of choice. Too bad a Generator has to be fed a note as it chops up the LFO cycle on pattern-wrap, some day we may see a dedicated LFO that can be fed to any parameter/parameters and synced to ticks/lines/tempo.

I found another way that doesn't chop the LFO cycle:

Multisynth -> Generator(Noise) -> LFO -> SoundCTL

Set the multisynth to always trigger C5 (in options) and play with the sample rate and smoothing to get the curve how you want it. If you set the LFO rate to 'ticks' then you get a beat synced LFO!

That's the great thing about SunVox, there are always alternative routes to achieve something and you often find other surprising results on the way.

• I would love to say SunVox, as I love saying it whenever, but in reality, for (synth) bass, I most often turn to TF7 or iSEM. These days (since Auria Pro) I have started using One (the teeny weeny synth with a big sound) quite a bit instead of TF7/iSEM, but it needs more usage before I can say "usually" about it.

• The Roli Noise app has some superb bass sounds...... but first it needs a record and/or output option. (I think they work on it....)

• I've got to say I'm really surprised that no one else here uses the wavetable synths for bass.

I've made my favourite basses on Wavemapper :)

• edited January 2016

All synths Virsyn: Tera, iSyn Poly, microTERA (!), Poseidon, Addictive, Cube, for their vast timbre and harmonics possibilities.
    And...(@hellquist, dude you coaxed me out of hibernation) Sunvox.

• I've been having a blast with Beepstreets 'Dagger' on the Desktop and it will be an instabuy when the AUi arrives for iOS, it rumbles, it roars and behaves like a wild animal, run it thru an amp-simulator and it's a loose cannon.

I'm still not sure what kind of SynthBass-Sound the original poster was after :D

• iSEM is one of my favorites, and probably the one that comes up the most whenever this question is posed.

Cyclop is dedicated to that purpose, and really good, but it struggles to run on my older iPad, so it's tough to say it's a go-to

iFretless Bass is a sampler, but has some sample synth sounds - that's my favorite bass app in general.