Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Request new Mozaic Scripts *HERE*

Comments

• @McD Instead of sending out NoteOffs for all notes (which will take some time, adds a CPU spike with possible crackles and 'spams' the channels & receiving synth) better keep track of the current active notes and on chord knob change, release only the active notes.

I prepared some sample code on how to this which i will upload to patchstorage in the evening - sorry, workday just started. The code also adds double-note on/off detection and applies optimization to prevent CPU spikes. The script nicely falls into my '4Devs:' category :)

• script that uses fluid dynamics to generate melody

• @brambos said:
    If you're not using them for anything else, you could use SetNoteState and GetNoteState for keeping track of active notes and base your panic function on those.

Yes! The 2048 element "Note Locker" would be very efficient for my specific problem

@_ki said:
    @McD Instead of sending out NoteOffs for all notes (which will take some time, adds a CPU spike with possible crackles and 'spams' the channels & receiving synth) better keep track of the current active notes and on chord knob change, release only the active notes.

I prepared some sample code on how to this which i will upload to patchstorage in the evening - sorry, workday just started. The code also adds double-note on/off detection and applies optimization to prevent CPU spikes. The script nicely falls into my '4Devs:' category :)

Awesome. I will check it out. I know you're always working on well-crafted code for someone.

On the Main Thread @Alfred has announced a clever Abolisher script that can be a universal Panic function for Mozaic users covering all Notes over 16 Channels with a Timer Feature to avoid blasting the targets with input.

• edited November 2019

I'm nearly finished with the code for the microtonal script, requested by @palms .

@brambos For some reason, with the "PolyMono" script (Polythemus clone) that you wrote, and now my code since I've incorporated it...if I play a quick chord of three notes, the NoteOff is predetermined to come after about 200ms, even if I release the chord sooner. (I haven't measured it.) Is this...something related to Mozaic itself? Any chord composed of any other number of notes plays normally, and I can't see anything in your script that would cause this to happen.

Edit: Never mind, it's a glitch with the AUM keyboard which I was using. Must be a new iOS 13 glitch.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@palms said:

also, this lovely (extremely consonant) five limit tuning (malcolm, from the year 1721)

1/1, 16/15, 9/8, 6/5, 5/4, 4/3, 45/32, 3/2, 8/5, 5/3, 16/9, 15/9, 2/1

Interesting. Do you know of any audio / video you could link to that uses this?

oops sorry, just saw this.. I'll post an example or two later today.

• @SpookyZoo

here's a thing I threw together in that malcolm tuning so you might hear it.
    1/1, 16/15, 9/8, 6/5, 5/4, 4/3, 45/32, 3/2, 8/5, 5/3, 16/9, 15/9, 2/1

I'll post some more straightforward examples of the scale later today..
    It's one of those tunings that's great for modal music, but you can also do quite a bit of modulating since there are so many consonant triads. Especially the minor keys.

• Ableton Push 2 scripts would be great.

Just recently got one, best piece of music hardware I've bought, really powerful. But would be even better if it integrated with iOS without having to go through Live. :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Ableton Push 2 scripts would be great.

Just recently got one, best piece of music hardware I've bought, really powerful. But would be even better if it integrated with iOS without having to go through Live. :)

Plus 1 for this

• "Ableton Push 2"

And connect it to AUM? Wow. It's $800 by the way.

• edited November 2019

@McD said:
    "Ableton Push 2"

And connect it to AUM? Wow. It's $800 by the way.

Yes it's expensive, but worth it if you use Live in your production workflow.
    But it has a great display which is programmable. Not sure if it's possible to use the display with iOS but I think someone clever could do it. :)

• I would like more tools for Mozaic app debugging. There are some very smart programmers that will immediately start to think of the possibilities. As a person of lessor skills I'll ask myself... "WTF? What do you have in mind?"

• @McD For ‚real‘ debugging of an interpreted languge (map of all used variables and their values, call graphs of events and their timings) these things would need to be implemented inside the interpreter - in our case Mozaic itself, since thats the only system which could query them. This would be a bigger task and will probably never happen - since you (the script author) can already realize these three topics by adding Log statements.
    Maybe i should post a ‚4 Devs: Debugging Mozaic Scripts‘ example which cover this area, as i am using several techniques to help aid in debugging

With external tools, you can only debug the output of Moazic and thats Midi, which can be shown be by Midi Viewers like MidiSpy, Midi Monitor (of Midi Tools), MidiFlow Monitor or by StreamByters input viewer.

My Midi State Debugger Mozaic script not only shows the arriving midi data like the above midi viewers, but it also aggregates the data. This allows to output a list of all active note for all channels and the last send CCs/PBs/ATs of each channel which is very helpful to debug double-note sending, or detecting send-order problems.

I am thinking about updating the script with timing data. This would add timestamps to all notes and midi events and compute the frequency of CC/PB/AT data updates per CC.

• @_ki said:
    @McD For ‚real‘ debugging of an interpreted language (map of all used variables and their values, call graphs of events and their timings) these things would need to be implemented inside the interpreter.

I figured as much. I'd rather see @brambos create another app for making music.

With external tools, you can only debug the output of Moazic and thats Midi, which can be shown be by Midi Viewers like MidiSpy, Midi Monitor (of Midi Tools), MidiFlow Monitor or by StreamByters input viewer.

I have all of them so it's not looking good for new ideas.

YES! I forgot to download and try it. Thx for making it and recommending it. I still need to
    add more "hanging notes" fixes. I had my script running into iSymphonic and it kept loading new presets. I know it has the feature to track Bank Selects and Program Change comments but I'm just throw out MIDI On/Off's. It's a weird bug. I want to add Bank Selects and Program Changes for this app. I should ask for a save programmer to make an iSymphonic
    instrument selector script... that could be so useful in the "One Finger Orchestra" on the knobs to dial in a preset. OK. I'll do that.

I am thinking about updating the script with timing data. This would add timestamps to all notes and midi events and compute the frequency of CC/PB/AT data updates per CC.

</go big> If you have the time that would help for anyone wrestling with complex clocking
    or sync headaches.

• REQUEST FOR SCRIPT:

iSymphonic has the feature to accept Bank Select/Program Change CC's to call up any of the
    hundreds of instruments in all the IAP packages. A Bank Select/Program Change script that could be raided for code that works would be so nice.

NOTE: Bank Select/Program Change is NOT well documented and different hardware synths have different concepts of how to order the bytes (MSB,LSB, etc) so a solution might work for one target and fail for another. Still, working code for some common target would be helpful to see and the utility could get a lot of downloads from hardware synth users. I'm sure a lot of apps that emulate DX-7, etc would also have these features. Find a patch interactively by turning knobs in Mozaic? Big win over the menu diving in KQ Dixie for example. GUI hell in my view.

• Hi @McD I have almost finished my Program Change script. Needed to normalize my dopamine first ;-) Expect the Mother of all Program Changers...

• @Alfred 👍🏻 Nice

• @Alfred said:
    Hi @McD I have almost finished my Program Change script. Needed to normalize my dopamine first ;-) Expect the Mother of all Program Changers...

Ask and you'll find it already exists (at least for someone). Thanks!

I need to wrack my brain and thing of something else to keep this on the front page.

• Well there is something else that we could turn into a community project.
    I started a script for the launchpad mini. I was using it to send program changes. Then thought it needed some light animation, and made a script so it displays ASCIi characters...
    Maybe it could be a nice interface for other projects...

• @Alfred said:
    Well there is something else that we could turn into a community project.
    I started a script for the launchpad mini. I was using it to send program changes. Then thought it needed some light animation, and made a script so it displays ASCIi characters...
    Maybe it could be a nice interface for other projects...

I saw that script and went to price out the LaunchPad. Do you recommend it? I was thinking SmartPAD based on price to play with some control buttons for these experiments. I have
    a few USBBluetooth MIDI foot pedals to play with.

• With the new model just launched they are clearing the older ones.
    Second hand models go for 50 euros. I have two. They are working nice again after a good cleaning (I got them 10 years ago). There is very little software for it on ios. Offcourse the launchpad app is a blast with one off these. And there is Grid Instrument wich turns it into an isomorphic playing surface.
    Also got a launchpad pro, wich is realy great because it has poly aftertouch...

• @Alfred said:
    Also got a launchpad pro, wich is realy great because it has poly aftertouch...

I should be careful but the geek in me hears "poly aftertouch" and just wants it.
    (Off to conduct Google research).

• edited November 2019

The new launchpadX also has polyAT. Because of that the pro has gotten cheaper as well.
    Maybe go for the X because it has got the new software treatment...
    But the old mini should be easy to get second hand. Thinking about combining four of them...

• Oh @alfred... you're the guy that codes for EWI controllers. I want/need one of those.
    I saw the YellowJackets and Bob Mintzer was playing one and I started to imagine
    using that with these apps. I see there's a Yamaha and and much cheaper Akai.
    Any recommendations. It's a toy for me... I can play sax but at a sophomoric level.
    I love that word: Sophmore (the wise fool). That's me in 100 categories.

• EWI USB with a Yamaha UD BT01 and a usb battery pack. So nice to be wireless :-)

• edited November 2019

Where the word inspiration comes from :-)

• This is the reason I still need a PC

• To put a toe in the pool would I waste money starting with:
    Akai Professional EWI USB Wind Controller for $300

I get BUS power using a USB Battery Pack connected to the CCK) adapter

I can use the CCK USB adapter and put an iPhone in my pocket or use an iPad
    on a gig.

TIP: I have an iPhone/Battery combo velcro'ed to my Telecaster to great effect.
    I can take a walk and practice with complete AUv3 sound processing using headphones
    or a speaker on my belt.

• @McD Yes the Akai EWI USB is the cheapest option and it is a "professional" instrument, not a toy. However it will take some practice to get results. The launchpad pro is much easier if you just want to do some finger tipping, while allmost as expressive, it is polyphonic...

• @Alfred said:
    @McD Yes the Akai EWI USB is the cheapest option and it is a "professional" instrument, not a toy. However it will take some practice to get results. The launchpad pro is much easier if you just want to do some finger tipping, while allmost as expressive, it is polyphonic...

I'm drooling on that EWI controller. Good thing it's plastic.

I picked up an iRig Keys 37 USB for $59 today to take on vacation. I just don't need colored
    pads, I think. Next year, maybe.