Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ToneBoosters Morphit headphones correction plugin now available for iOS

Comments

• edited November 2019

@richardyot said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    is this a eq for poor quality headphones?

It's an EQ for all supported headphones, most of which are pretty high quality :)

That bit i don’t understand, why would you eq good quality headphones? You could be boosting digital frequencies into your ears?

• @[Deleted User] said:

That bit i don’t understand, why would you eq good quality headphones?

Even the 'good' headphones have some 'flaws' when compared to a clean reference and the better the headphones are the more likely they can with some clever EQin approximate another pair of headphones :)

• @Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Even the 'good' headphones have some 'flaws' when compared to a clean reference and the better the headphones are the more likely they can with some clever EQin approximate another pair of headphones :)

But then you are completely reliant on the software to use the headphones, seems restrictive.

• @[Deleted User] said:

But then you are completely reliant on the software to use the headphones, seems restrictive.

The idea with the plug-in is to check what the stuff sounds like using a different pair headphones to see for example how a mix translates to a pair of cheap cans.

First step is to bring up the headphones the user has to a 'reference level' by putting the plug-in as the last step in the signal chain. The approximation of other headphones is just a bonus...

Sure it's restrictive but it's a 'tool' not a permanent 'fix bad headphones' kinda thing :)

• Instabuy. My Beats 3 are covered. The app is universal (good for producing on my iPhone!). What more could I ask for. :3

• @[Deleted User] said:

@richardyot said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    is this a eq for poor quality headphones?

It's an EQ for all supported headphones, most of which are pretty high quality :)

That bit i don’t understand, why would you eq good quality headphones? You could be boosting digital frequencies into your ears?

Even excellent headphones can benefit from some correction as Samu says. There is no truly neutral headphone on the market, according to the measurements I've seen the HD650 is about the closest there is to neutral but even those may benefit from some slight corrections.

Add to this that many popular headphones amongst musicians are really very far from neutral (Sony MDR7506, AKG 712 ) this plugin gives some pretty useful insight into your mix if you are using non-neutral headphones, at least to check what you might be missing.

• @DJB I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm which are not listed on Morphit page which is strange as the standard DT 770 are any reason why?

I’m finding them pretty close to neutral after using a cheap pair of Sony MDRZX 310, so not sure I would use this app anyhow.

• Great app for mixing to a standard rather than just the headphones or speakers you used to monitor the mix. Will have to test it out with my open versus closed style headphones which I use for recording mics to avoid headphone signal leakage being picked up.

• @Samu said:
    Later today I'll likely do some deep listening and see how well the app 'emulates' another set of cans.
    I've got at least three cans on the list (AKG K-701, ATH-M50x and Sennheiser HD598) so will they sound like the 'each other' :)

I feel like my Sennheisser 380HD and AKG K-702 are more similar now. Enough so that I will actually start to get my monies worth out of the K-702 now. There was just too much of a shock going back and forth before.

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @DJB I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm which are not listed on Morphit page which is strange as the standard DT 770 are any reason why?

I’m finding them pretty close to neutral after using a cheap pair of Sony MDRZX 310, so not sure I would use this app anyhow.

In the app there is an entry for the DT770Pro as well as the regular DT770.

• edited November 2019

@richardyot said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    @DJB I got the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm which are not listed on Morphit page which is strange as the standard DT 770 are any reason why?

In the app there is an entry for the DT770Pro as well as the regular DT770 (all versions).

• I've just done some extensive comparisons between my DT770 Pros and my Focal Spirit Pros using this app, and once correction is applied to both (you can use the A/B settings in the app which is handy) they sound very similar to each other, so the app certainly seems to be working as intended.

The DT770s still have a bit of boom in the bass compared to the Focal Spirits, but the midrange is absolutely identical, especially the human voice. For me this makes the DT770s much more useful for mixing, as they are much closer to being a reference class headphone now.

I used to own the HD650s, but I sold them because the Focal Spirit Pros sound so similar to them (they're uncannily close, just very slightly denser in the bass due to being a closed-back design), but I do occasionally regret doing so, so maybe this will help me to resist the temptation of buying them again.

• After doing some further testing on my HD-25s and the Bose QC25s and comparing them to the Focal Spirit Pros I would add that with the more coloured headphones the results are obviously not as close. Neither the HD 25s nor the QC25s sound as close to the Focal Spirits as the DT770s did after correction, presumably due to physical limitations in the drivers.

I would still say that the sound is much improved by the plugin, even with these headphones, they sound a lot clearer and cleaner, but I don't think they can be used as reference quality headphones to mix with.

• Is it worth buying for superlux HD681?

• @richardyot said:

@Jumpercollins said:

In the app there is an entry for the DT770Pro as well as the regular DT770.

Thanks for letting me know and your comments on the DT 770 Pros.

• @richardyot said:
    After doing some further testing on my HD-25s and the Bose QC25s and comparing them to the Focal Spirit Pros I would add that with the more coloured headphones the results are obviously not as close. Neither the HD 25s nor the QC25s sound as close to the Focal Spirits as the DT770s did after correction, presumably due to physical limitations in the drivers.

I would still say that the sound is much improved by the plugin, even with these headphones, they sound a lot clearer and cleaner, but I don't think they can be used as reference quality headphones to mix with.

Good to know!
    The DT770 indeed have quite pronounced bass but at least they have enough excursion headroom for whatever corrections ;)

• edited November 2019

@richardyot said.

I used to own the HD650s, but I sold them because the Focal Spirit Pros sound so similar to them (they're uncannily close, just very slightly denser in the bass due to being a closed-back design), but I do occasionally regret doing so, so maybe this will help me to resist the temptation of buying them again.

HD650 are sounding significantly better with this plugin... i'm surprised how much better. More and more i'm comparing various records w/wo plugin, more i'm excited. Didn't expected such significant improvement with headphones from this category. Lot more details on hihats, mud in bass/low mids dissapeared, whole mix sounds significantly cleaner.. i even noticed some mistakes in mix which i didn't noticed before :open_mouth:

• edited November 2019

@gusgranite said:
    @AudioGus where do you set your plugin gain and do you keep the limiter on in Morphit?

My gain is set to 0 by default and I do have the limiter on but nothing I send is ever above 0 so I not think it matters.

• Am I the only one getting a 404 on the provided link regarding what headphones they cover? www.toneboosters.com/tb_morhpit_v1.html

• @hellquist said:
    Am I the only one getting a 404 on the provided link regarding what headphones they cover? www.toneboosters.com/tb_morhpit_v1.html

Ok, got it working now. None of my headphones are in that list though, so good thing I got to see it before purchasing. :)

• So is the best way to use this, on the master bus? And after the mix is done remove it before bouncing?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:
    So is the best way to use this, on the master bus? And after the mix is done remove it before bouncing?

Yes

• @Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Exactly. That's what we found in our research. The price tag of headphones doesn't tell you anything about it's frequency response, and the amount of correction needed can be substantial, even with expensive cans:

https://asa.scitation.org/doi/10.1121/1.4984044

• @DJB said:

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Exactly. That's what we found in our research. The price tag of headphones doesn't tell you anything about it's frequency response, and the amount of correction needed can be substantial, even with expensive cans:

well first you look at the specs of the headphones before you buy them of course. obviously there are flaws just like monitors. I just not sure I like digital EQ boosting in my ears for the headphones. I imagine the bass frequencies need to be boosted quite some.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@DJB said:

@Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

well first you look at the specs of the headphones before you buy them of course. obviously there are flaws just like monitors. I just not sure I like digital EQ boosting in my ears for the headphones. I imagine the bass frequencies need to be boosted quite some.

It depends. There are high-end headphones that actually produce too much bass re a neutral reference. Have a look at the curves in the paper; you can see that the deviation from a target curve is all over the place for cheap and expensive headphones.

• Well one thing this plugin most certainly does do is to make the listening experience across different pairs of headphones much more consistent, and that alone is pretty convincing evidence that it is working as intended.

I have four pairs of headphones that are supported by the app (Focal Spirit Pro, BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro, Sennheiser HD25 and Bose QC25) and using the plugin matches two of them extremely closely (Focal Spirit Pro and BeyerDynamic DT770 Pro), with just a little more bloom in the bass of the Beyers. My other two pairs don't match as well but still at least get a lot closer.

Without the plugin these headphones sound very different from each other, so my testing definitely convinces me that the plugin helps them to converge to a common standard.

I'm sure it's not perfect, as there are so many variables involved in trying to measure an ideal or neutral sound, and our knowledge is still incomplete (there is still a lot more research needed in this field), but this is definitely an improvement IMO and I believe that the plugin will improve any set of the supported cans.

• Anyone unsure should just demo the desktop version and try it out that way first.

• @richardyot said:
    Anyone unsure should just demo the desktop version and try it out that way first.

Good suggestion.

• This is great. I'm also getting on the desktop.

• No lie this is pretty incredible. Makes beat making on the beats studio 3 really fun! @DJB any plans to add master and dynamic headphones to the list? I have mh40’s I’d love to run thru this.