Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OB-Xd by Jorge Reales is on sale right now - 50% off

2»

Comments

• edited November 2019

Doug's video was very good. But I kept wishing he explored more with the envelope filter, to show the depth of the filter sweeps this App can do.

For anyone interested, I'll provide several simple steps to go from the default program to a full sounding basic OBX-style patch.

Load the Audio Unit in AUM.
    If needed. Open the AUM keyboard and use the wrench icon so the AUM keyboard will control the App.

Leave everything else set to the "initial" settings...

Then... Proceed through the modules from left to right, beginning on the top row.... Make the following changes....

1) In the LFO section... Turn ON "SIGN", and set the LFO rate knob to 9 O'Clock.

2) The PLUSE WIDTH section... Turn ON both OSC1 and OSC2, and set the DEPTH knob to 2 O'Clock.

3) The OSCILLATORS section... Turn ON the SAW and PULSE for "BOTH" Oscillators. Then adjust the knobs in the Oscillator section as follows:
    • PULSE WIDTH to 12 O'Clock.
    • BRIGHT to 12 O'Clock.
    • OSC2 DETUNE to 9 O'CLOCK

4) The FILTER section... Turn ON: KEY, BP, and 24DB. Then adjust the knobs as follows:
    • CUTOFF to 11 O'Clock.
    • ENVELOPE to 12 O'Clock.
    • MULTI to 12 O'Clock.

5) AMP/FILTER ENVELOPE Section... Adjust the knobs as follows

Top row (AMP Envelope)
    • ATTACK to 8 O'Clock.
    • DECAY to 12 O'Clock.
    • SUSTAIN to 3 O'Clock.
    • RELEASE to 12 O'Clock.

Bottom row (FILTER ENVELOPE )
    • DECAY to 2 O'Clock.
    • SUSTAIN to 7 O'Clock.
    • RELEASE to 10 O'Clock.

The result should be a classic Brassy OBX Pad sound.

For a FILTER SWEEP PATCH
    Make the following adjustments to the above patch...

In the FILTER section do the following:
    • Adjust the RESONANCE Knob to 12 O'Clock
    • Turn OFF: "KEY".
    • Turn the MULTI knob to 3 O'Clock.

Play some base notes and listen to that classic OBX filter "growl".

Then add a chorus and/or some other effects, and it just gets better....

• @Tim6502 : FYI, MIDI CC7's canonocal > @horsetrainer said:

Doug's video was very good. But I kept wishing he explored more with the envelope filter, to show the depth of the filter sweeps this App can do.

For anyone interested, I'll provide several simple steps to go from the default program to a full sounding basic OBX-style patch.

If needed. Open the AUM keyboard and use the wrench icon so the AUM keyboard will control the App.

Then... Proceed through the modules from left to right, beginning on the top row.... Make the following changes....

1) In the LFO section... Turn ON "SIGN", and set the LFO rate knob to 9 O'Clock.

2) The PLUSE WIDTH section... Turn ON both OSC1 and OSC2, and set the DEPTH knob to 2 O'Clock.

3) The OSCILLATORS section... Turn ON the SAW and PULSE for "BOTH" Oscillators. Then adjust the knobs in the Oscillator section as follows:
    • BRIGHT to 12 O'Clock.

4) The FILTER section... Turn ON: KEY, BP, and 24DB. Then adjust the knobs as follows:
    • CUTOFF to 11 O'Clock.
    • MULTI to 12 O'Clock.

Top row (AMP Envelope)
    • ATTACK to 8 O'Clock.
    • DECAY to 12 O'Clock.
    • SUSTAIN to 3 O'Clock.
    • RELEASE to 12 O'Clock.

• DECAY to 2 O'Clock.
    • SUSTAIN to 7 O'Clock.
    • RELEASE to 10 O'Clock.

For a FILTER SWEEP PATCH

Any chance you might post a demo video for those that don’t have the synth and are wondering whether to get it?

Also, does the OB-XD do cross-modulation?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Tim6502 : FYI, MIDI CC7's canonocal > @horsetrainer said:

• BRIGHT to 12 O'Clock.

• CUTOFF to 11 O'Clock.
    • MULTI to 12 O'Clock.

Top row (AMP Envelope)
    • ATTACK to 8 O'Clock.
    • DECAY to 12 O'Clock.
    • SUSTAIN to 3 O'Clock.
    • RELEASE to 12 O'Clock.

• DECAY to 2 O'Clock.
    • SUSTAIN to 7 O'Clock.
    • RELEASE to 10 O'Clock.

For a FILTER SWEEP PATCH

Any chance you might post a demo video for those that don’t have the synth and are wondering whether to get it?

Also, does the OB-XD do cross-modulation?

I'm not a Synth programing expert by any stretch... But I have some experience programing certain hardware Synths from the 80's that I owned back in the day. OB-X was my dream synth at that time, but it's price put it out of reach.

To answer your question I looked at the OBX-d manual posted in the support section on https://www.discodsp.com

If I understood it correctly... Cross modulation can be achieved by OSC1 modulating OSC2 when the "SYNC" button is activated in the OSCILLATORS section.

I notice when I turn on "SYNC" in the patch I desribed above, it adds a lot more depth to the patch. I learned something new. :)

As far as a video. I really should figure out how to do that. I don't do social media, I grew up in the era of rotary phones, and still use my old flip phone for a cell phone. I got into iOS because of the vintage synth emulators, and my collection of various iOS music Apps began with that.

Perhaps someone more media savvy than I might make a video creating the patch I described, and post a video of how both the Pad and the sweep variations sound, to help those who don't yet own the App. They might also show what the "SYNC" button does to both the Pad and the sweep variations too. I think it would be a good demonstration patch because it has that distinctive OBX vibe.

I also run this patch through FAC Chorus and it makes me smile. It's easy to loose track of time when noodling with sounds like these.

But yea... I really should look into setting up a youtube channel, and figuring out how to get videos on it.

• @Tim6502 thank you very much for this script which motivated me to buy OB-Xd. Really nice job with setting up the preset program banks. Despite some broken/clicky presets due to your batch processing of available online preset banks (which may have been broken to begin with🤷🏻‍♂️), it’s wonderful to just be able to push a pad and select another that works as expected.

• I'm actually enjoying this one as it kinda forces me to be creative by starting from scratch without presets :)

• edited November 2019

To those who have mozaic and can load the preset. Who you mind saving some preset banks in audiobus or cubasis format ?

• @ecou said:
    To those who have mosaic and can load the preset. Who you mind saving some preset banks in audiobus or cubasis format ?

I started but there’s hundreds and you can’t easily read the name of each preset and you have to keep adjusting the sustain for 50% of them and remember which one you’re on and then the kids started yelling and my wife asked me what the hell I was doing so I decided I had better things to do with my time lol

• @gusgranite said:

@ecou said:
    To those who have mosaic and can load the preset. Who you mind saving some preset banks in audiobus or cubasis format ?

I started but there’s hundreds and you can’t easily read the name of each preset and you have to keep adjusting the sustain for 50% of them and remember which one you’re on and then the kids started yelling and my wife asked me what the hell I was doing so I decided I had better things to do with my time lol

Rofl

I’m not asking for every single one. Just some to mess around.

• Thanks, @InfoCheck!

I now figured out the patch problem – the Loudness Attack value was also sent to the Loudness Delay in the AUM preset. Anybody who has downloaded Rompler v0.9 can fix this quickly as follows in AUM:

open: [Hamburger] -> MIDI CTRL -> 1:OB-Xd -> Parameters -> LoudnessDecay
    change: CC17 to CC18

This should address most of the problems with the patches (a small number still produce no sound).

@ecou - do you know if (and how) mapping of AUv3 plugin parameters works in AB?
    I would love to make a preset for it, just like the one for AUM!

Sorry, @Samu, if this might pull folks away from messing around with the knobs (we shall just pretend Mozaic does not exist...).

• @Tim6502 brilliant. That CC fix has sorted nearly all of them. Thank you again for your effort!

@ecou it really is worth getting Mozaic. Just look at it like you are buying hundreds of OB-Xd presets for under $10 and then you happen to get this ever expanding box of Mozaic midi magic tricks with it as well!

• edited November 2019

@ecou it really is worth getting Mozaic. Just look at it like you are buying hundreds of OB-Xd presets for under $10 and then you happen to get this ever expanding box of Mozaic midi magic tricks with it as well!

I have no doubt about Mozaic worth but their is other home stuff that need my money right now. ☹️

I also don’t have AUM. That is 37$CAD to load some free presets 🤪

• @ecou said:

I have no doubt about Mozaic worth but their is other home stuff that need my money right now. ☹️

I also don’t have AUM. That is 37$CAD to load some free presets 🤪

Ah, I was saving presets in AUM. That wouldn’t have helped you anyway then!

• @Tim6502 wow thank you for thescripts this is pretty cool! The app is well worth the 399 also. These patches can teach us a thing or two about this ob-xd and it really does sound good. Don't know how accurate to the original but it sounds good regardless.

• edited November 2019

I tried installing the pc version on my windows 10 machine but got a error from the installer. I wanted to copy the best preset I found.

• FWIW - the patch download contains the sources for the Mozaic scripts, including the parameters for the patches.
    Problem is, there are 70 parameters - as these sit in arrays, it is very tedious to "reproduce" by hand, but even if those were printed out with knob labels, it would still be tedious.

Thus my question: how do you assign CC parameters for a plugin in AB?

One could iterate over the Bank select/pc against the Mozaic script and capture the CC (perhaps best together with the bank select + Pc) output into a midi file.
    Now in AB with CC-assignment to OB-Xd set up, you could select and run patches from this file without the scripting. This might now be do-able, yet still not user-friendly.

Though Mozaic now has a critical mass of ready-made scripts that more than justifies its asking price.
    But I do get some of your reluctance - I have been very happy just with AB and apeMatrix and picked up AUM only recently when it was on sale.

• For others interested in Oberheim nostalgia...

I did a Google search for "OB-Xa patchbook" and below was the first website shown in the list of Google search results.

http://www.electrongate.com/obfiles/OB-Xa/patchbook.html

There is a PDF file there that has multiple pictures showing the knob and button settings for what seems to be a list of the original factory OBX-a patches.

The knobs and buttons on the OBX-d iOS App are not exactly the same as those on the vintage OB-Xa.

The AMP (Loudness) Filter on the OB-Xa is under the Filter Envelope, and on the OBX-d it's on top.
    There are several other controls that don't match up. Like the location of the OSC2 DETUNE Knob.

In the FILTER section I think OBX-d "KEY" = OB-Xa "TRACK". For the rest I just guess and see how it changes the sound.

So far all the patches I've tried in the book have sounded like what the various patched are named.

I'm finding these pictures helpful as I try to learn more about programing the OBX-d.

• edited November 2019

@horsetrainer said:
    For others interested in Oberheim nostalgia...

I did a Google search for "OB-Xa patchbook" and below was the first website shown in the list of Google search results.

http://www.electrongate.com/obfiles/OB-Xa/patchbook.html

There is a PDF file there that has multiple pictures showing the knob and button settings for what seems to be a list of the original factory OBX-a patches.

The knobs and buttons on the OBX-d iOS App are not exactly the same as those on the vintage OB-Xa.

The AMP (Loudness) Filter on the OB-Xa is under the Filter Envelope, and on the OBX-d it's on top.
    There are several other controls that don't match up. Like the location of the OSC2 DETUNE Knob.

In the FILTER section I think OBX-d "KEY" = OB-Xa "TRACK". For the rest I just guess and see how it changes the sound.

So far all the patches I've tried in the book have sounded like what the various patched are named.

I'm finding these pictures helpful as I try to learn more about programing the OBX-d.

Very cool! I really enjoy the sounds of this historic machine.

I hope the developer uses similar/the same patches, when he implements the menu that Tim, the guy who made the mosaic script did. They are beautiful.

• @Tim6502 said:

Sorry, @Samu, if this might pull folks away from messing around with the knobs (we shall just pretend Mozaic does not exist...).

No worries, it's good to have options.

Most of the time when I mess around with synths I start from a clean 'Init' patch.
    This goes for the MicroFreak as well and I end up saving tons of presets just to realize it's more fun to start from scratch :)

• edited December 2019

@Tim6502 I’m trying out the Mozaic preset script for the first time - first time I’ve ever used Mozaic.
    I can get them loaded into the Mozaic, have it all set up in AUM with keyboard->mozaic->OB-x. I have sound coming out but pressing on a preset button makes no difference to the sound.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

EDIT: managed to get it to work by opening the AUM.proj file that came in the zip. Can’t get it to work otherwise. Unfortunately preset behaviour is very random. Sometimes the preset changes when I press one of the buttons, sometimes it doesn’t, and sometimes I just get a ticking sound. What do I need to do?

• Hi @TimRussell - did you apply the fix mentioned in the patch download discussion:

(1) in AUM

• open: [Hamburger] -> MIDI CTRL -> 1:OB-Xd -> Parameters -> LoudnessDecay
    • and change: CC17 to CC18

(2) when hitting a PAD you may need to hit towards the center to ensure sufficient velocity to trigger - that's what @McD has been reporting.

(3) I was able to confirm that the general approach also works in apeMatrix. (That would need an aM-specific patch file.)

This should get most of the patches to sound out.

Planning to give my Mozaic patch an upgrade with the above.