Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iPad Pro 2018 - Anyone else with massive crackles?

Comments

• Please, get this update running live soon!

• @Hmtx said:

@Tarekith said:
    It's not totally unusable. I haven't experienced the crackles once on my 11" Pro using some pretty big Groovebox and KEW sessions or with normal daily use. Even using Model 15 on its own has been fine for me. Sounds like I don't run as many big gun apps at the same time as a lot of people though..

Agreed, its not terrible... just worse than what you would expect from something advertised as "better than 70% of laptops."

I didn't see any problems until I set up 4 instances of Model D inside AUM on the 11" 256GB. The setup process was crackle city. But once it was all up and going, CPU stayed at about 53% and solid, no problems.

It’s not terrible, it’s a disgrace, they really have to get it together, this is the becoming a bad habit.

• I agree, it is not a good situation for such an expensive device.
    I bought a used Pro2 in October, but I didn't foresee the issues spoken of here. I just wanted the hp Jack and a reliable and faster ( ipad4 previously) tool. I am way happy with it.

I am a newcomer, but it is surprising that veterans are surprised by the bumps in a new model. There should be no bumps, hardware, OS, software, but there always are, or am I wrong? So how come folks go out, spend all this dough, encounter bugs and then are shocked and disappointed. It's like loading up on sunscreen just before the monsoon hits. You know it's coming, but hey, maybe this time the sun will shine! I know there are plenty of users who follow a more cautious philosophy, but shouldn't experience teach us something? At least to expect that night follows day?

I do not mean to personally offend anyone. I feel badly forum members are upset. It just seems a bit illogical not to take past experience into consideration. Yeah, we all want the new shiny thing. For me even the old stuff is new. I'm late to the party and in this case it is a positive ( for me). I am sure everything will work out by the time the next shiny thing comes along. It sounds like an awesome piece of gear.

• Seems to me they’ve acted pretty quickly to fix this, no? Well played to all the developers who’ve helped.

• edited December 2018

Yeah, it's been less than a few weeks and they've already got a fix in the works. Some people just like to complain about Apple.

• @Tarekith said:
    Yeah, it's been less than a few weeks and they've already got a fix in the works. Some people just like to complain about Apple.

Yes it’s good that they’re on the case fixing it, but it shouldn’t have needed fixing in the first place, maybe it’s down to a lack of resources at Apple. :'(

• @knewspeak said:

@Tarekith said:

Yes it’s good that they’re on the case fixing it, but it shouldn’t have needed fixing in the first place, maybe it’s down to a lack of resources at Apple. :'(

Lack of resources lol. Well I guess if you compare the number of shareholders with the number of engineers at Apple, it does make sense :D

• edited January 2019

@Tarekith said:

My ipad 2017 has got the same problem. So its more than just a few weeks

Edit: A third party lightning cable seems to be the cause of the problem with my ipad

• edited June 2019

Has Apple fixed this problem? I bought the iPad Pro 11“ ohne week ago and I have chrackles with nave in Audiobus/AUM combination. Someone else still have this problems? Its really a shame...a 1000-€-device and audio is not running fine! With my 2017 iPad I had no problems!

• @Lycaan said:
    Has Apple fixed this problem? I bought the iPad Pro 11“ ohne week ago and I have chrackles with nave in Audiobus/AUM combination. Someone else still have this problems? Its really a shame...a 1000-€-device and audio is not running fine! With my 2017 iPad I had no problems!

Have you updated to at least iOS 12.1.3 or later? That was the critical update that greatly improved the audio performance for the 2018 iPad Pros.

I have a 2018 Pro and a 2017 Pro and the 2017 performs about 5% better for me (measured in terms of having the same exact session setup, with the 2017 handling maybe one more auv3 instance without crackles). That being said I mostly use the 2018 because it is an overall nicer experience.

Personally I think something just really clicked with the audio processing on the 2017 Pros and I think they will be the next Air 2 (that keeps punching above its weight years later).

• edited June 2019

@marmakin said:

@Lycaan said:

Have you updated to at least iOS 12.1.3 or later? That was the critical update that greatly improved the audio performance for the 2018 iPad Pros.

I have a 2018 Pro and a 2017 Pro and the 2017 performs about 5% better for me (measured in terms of having the same exact session setup, with the 2017 handling maybe one more auv3 instance without crackles). That being said I mostly use the 2018 because it is an overall nicer experience.

Personally I think something just really clicked with the audio processing on the 2017 Pros and I think they will be the next Air 2 (that keeps punching above its weight years later).

Yes, Iam on 12.3.1 hopefully the are going on working on this Audio issues!!

• Hi guys, after installing iOS13 my 9.7" pro (1st Gen) has started to struggle wit the load so I am considering upgrading to one of the current pros.
    Has this issue been finally resolved?

• I am on iOS 13.2 with my IPad Pro 12.9 2018. No problem at all now.
    Sometimes high cpu usage in Cubasis but everything works fine without crackles.

• edited October 2019

I recently tried to make a move from a Pro 12' 1st gen to a 10'5 Pro 2nd gen...
    And it stills catastrophic...
    This iPad is dedicated to beats, and with the exact same configuration, I had lots of glitches while switching apps.
    CPU is around 50% while playing.
    If you're using it as a sound module (with external midi controllers, without using the screen and switch apps) it should be ok, if not, I won't buy it.
    For me this 2nd gen is not okay.
    As far as I remember the pro 9.7 has less ram than the pro 12 1st gen.
    I think it might be a better choice.

I'm going to try this week with a Pro 11 (3rd gen) to see if it's better and let you know.

• @geophilips said:
    Hi

Just playing with my new iPad 12.9. Noticing massive crackles and popping in Zeeon, Model 15 and Model D. Probably an iOS issue but wanted to see if anyone else noticed these.

@geophilips said:
    Hi

Just playing with my new iPad 12.9. Noticing massive crackles and popping in Zeeon, Model 15 and Model D. Probably an iOS issue but wanted to see if anyone else noticed these.

There are several Moog betas that are addressing any Moog issues.

I think I noticed in some developer note updates some items regarding this.

I will look into for you.

• edited November 2019

Well, the new iPad pro's 11' are much better.
    AMHO, if you just want to make music the cheaper way, get an iPad Pro 12'9 2015 (yes first gen !) with max hard drive.
    It will hold really good, no crazy spikes, very stable for live.
    Then, if you have the money get the latest pro 11'. I noticed some spikes, but rarely, and you do have lots of CPU...
    You may get 2 pro's 12'9 ( 1 st gen ) for the price of 1 pro 11', maybe less...So might be cooler...

The pro's 2nd gen are not great at all...

• No crackles yet on my 2018 Pro .. Only problem I have is “cut, copy, paste” gestures popping up when trying to play Model 15, causing presets to change in middle of performance and Also playing triads cause keys to stick in several apps. I wish I never updated to iPadOS. Breaks far too many apps to be worth it to me yet.

• Im still getting crackles on my 2018 iPad Pro and IOS 13.1.3. Is there some setting i can make to get rid of it?

• edited November 2019

@gkillmaster said:
    Im still getting crackles on my 2018 iPad Pro and IOS 13.1.3. Is there some setting i can make to get rid of it?

Same here. Nearly every synth app produces little pops - even those that support the proper sample rate 48000 ..
    The silver lining is that the crackles don’t appear in recordings of said apps. still a massively frustrating experience non-the-less.

Does the problem disappear when you use an external audio interface?

• No crackles to me with a sound card, never tested without...
    Just sold 2 iPad pro's 10.5", they were less stable (in a "crackle" point of view and overloading CPU) than the 12" pro's 1st gen (!!!!) I made benchmarks with AUM to prove it...

• @crony said:
    No crackles to me with a sound card, never tested without...
    Just sold 2 iPad pro's 10.5", they were less stable (in a "crackle" point of view and overloading CPU) than the 12" pro's 1st gen (!!!!) I made benchmarks with AUM to prove it...

Haha, I just replaced my air 2 with a pro 10.5. Now I have 2 of them. One for testing and general use, other specifically for music. They’re both smooth.

• edited November 2019

@supadom ok...If you can test the exact same backup from you're 10.5 to a 1st gen 12", you'll get a surprise...
    You'll get, indeed, around 10% less CPU without running AUM/your sequencer, but you'll get also massive CPU spikes and crackles while switching apps.
    The spikes on the 12" 1st gen will be there but much less, and no crackles.

• @crony said:
    @supadom ok...If you can test the exact same backup from you're 10.5 to a 1st gen 12", you'll get a surprise...
    You'll get, indeed, around 10% less CPU without running AUM/your sequencer, but you'll get also massive CPU spikes and crackles while switching apps.

I was just trying to make a point of saying that experiences will vary depending on app configurations used. Still, good to swap notes.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @supadom said:

@crony said:

I was just trying to make a point of saying that experiences will vary depending on app configurations used. Still, good to swap notes.

I did some testing when I tried out the 11" Pro (3rd Gen) against the 10.5" Pro (2nd Gen) and 9.7" Pro (1st Gen).
    For me there was a normal progression in performance 3rd > 2nd > 1st, not a regression from 2nd Gen to 1st Gen.

Granted I have a 9.7" Pro as the 1st Gen model, not the 12", so there's less RAM (2GB vs 4GB) and the CPU is slightly slower (underclocked to 2.16 GHz from 2.26GHz), however, the screen is smaller (the 12" pushes about 78% more pixels than the 9.7")

What I saw in my testing was a greater leap in performance from the 1st Gen to 2nd Gen than from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen. When considering price (I picked up the 2nd Gen as an Apple refurb for half the price of the 3rd Gen) and design aspects of the 3rd Gen that didn't work for me, it was an easy choice to go with the 2nd gen.

One thing to note is that the 2nd Gen is where Apple introduced the 120Hz "ProMotion" displays. I definitely saw a performance boost turning that off (not major, but often the difference between running smoothly and crackles when scrolling the screen). If the apps you're using are particularly heavy in the graphics department this could account for an apparent reduction in performance.

Here's an example of testing the number of Zeeon instances I could run on each. I would reset the audio system before each test.
    Basically, I could run 5 instances with the 9.7" 1st Gen Pro, 6 if I was at 44.1KHz and bumped the latency up to 1024 samples
    With the 10.5" 2nd Gen Pro I could run 8 instances at 44.1KHz, but with a 512 buffer (and screen at 60Hz, instead of 120Hz).
    With the 11" 3rd Gen Pro I got basically the same performance (8 instances at 44.1KHz with 512 buffer, but with 120Hz screen) I could get 9 instances, but only with 1024 buffer (9 instances on the 10.5" at 44.1KHz and 1024 would play fine until I scrolled the screen and then I would get massive crackles).

I also did testing of various songs and saw similar results (but harder to quantify).

• @aplourde said:

@supadom said:

@crony said:

I did some testing when I tried out the 11" Pro (3rd Gen) against the 10.5" Pro (2nd Gen) and 9.7" Pro (1st Gen).
    For me there was a normal progression in performance 3rd > 2nd > 1st, not a regression from 2nd Gen to 1st Gen.

Granted I have a 9.7" Pro as the 1st Gen model, not the 12", so there's less RAM (2GB vs 4GB) and the CPU is slightly slower (underclocked to 2.16 GHz from 2.26GHz), however, the screen is smaller (the 12" pushes about 78% more pixels than the 9.7")

What I saw in my testing was a greater leap in performance from the 1st Gen to 2nd Gen than from 2nd Gen to 3rd Gen. When considering price (I picked up the 2nd Gen as an Apple refurb for half the price of the 3rd Gen) and design aspects of the 3rd Gen that didn't work for me, it was an easy choice to go with the 2nd gen.

One thing to note is that the 2nd Gen is where Apple introduced the 120Hz "ProMotion" displays. I definitely saw a performance boost turning that off (not major, but often the difference between running smoothly and crackles when scrolling the screen). If the apps you're using are particularly heavy in the graphics department this could account for an apparent reduction in performance.

Here's an example of testing the number of Zeeon instances I could run on each. I would reset the audio system before each test.
    Basically, I could run 5 instances with the 9.7" 1st Gen Pro, 6 if I was at 44.1KHz and bumped the latency up to 1024 samples
    With the 10.5" 2nd Gen Pro I could run 8 instances at 44.1KHz, but with a 512 buffer (and screen at 60Hz, instead of 120Hz).
    With the 11" 3rd Gen Pro I got basically the same performance (8 instances at 44.1KHz with 512 buffer, but with 120Hz screen) I could get 9 instances, but only with 1024 buffer (9 instances on the 10.5" at 44.1KHz and 1024 would play fine until I scrolled the screen and then I would get massive crackles).

I also did testing of various songs and saw similar results (but harder to quantify).

For me it all ends with ram. No matter how fast your cpu is, when you hit ram bottleneck your device will struggle. If you’re performing tasks where a lot of audio is managed in temporary memory the ram amount will be the crucial figure. Until 11” Ipad gets more than 4gb ram I’ll be sticking with 10.5.

• @supadom said:

@aplourde said:

@supadom said:

@crony said:

For me it all ends with ram. No matter how fast your cpu is, when you hit ram bottleneck your device will struggle. If you’re performing tasks where a lot of audio is managed in temporary memory the ram amount will be the crucial figure. Until 11” Ipad gets more than 4gb ram I’ll be sticking with 10.5.

I guess the ram issue doesn’t matter than much since AUv3 share a fixed Ram size. Could be wrong on this though.
    But that’s what I’ve understood so far

• @StudioES said:
    I just bought a refurbished 2017 iPad Pro 10.5 after returning a 2019 Air 3 (48kHz issue - I need 44.1kHz for editing my 44.1kHz sample library. I cannot have the iPad switching from 44.1kHz to 48kHz when unplugging my EarPods while editing samples since it ruins all edits).
    I also have a 2018 iPad 6th Gen.
    Funny thing is - with multiple instances of some AU FX (Audio Damage) inside BM3, the 2018 6th Gen slows down significantly - the playhead & mixer meters are a slideshow. Not so on the 2017 Pro 10.5.
    But - viewing heavy GUIs like Sugar Bytes in BM3 causes noticeably more cracking on the 2017 Pro 10.5 versus the 2018 6th Gen. Disabling ProMotion doesn't help.
    iOS 10.2 - Apple gave us a 'Camera' entry in iOS Settings. I hope Apple adds an 'Audio' entry soon with multiple supported sample rates. Not crossing my fingers.

Yeah, it's very much dependent on which apps and hosts you're using. I did notice a benefit to running at 60Hz. For example, with the 10.5" 2nd Gen Pro I could get 8 instances of a heavy Zeeon patch with a 512 buffer at 44.1KHz, only if the screen was fixed to 60Hz. At 120Hz, it would play fine until I scrolled around in the AUM session and then I would get crackles. At 60Hz, I could scroll around as fast as my fingers could move with no issue. Not a massive difference, but sometimes enough to allow a track to work. I now keep my iPad fixed at 60Hz.

• @Paa89 said:

@supadom said:

@aplourde said:

@supadom said:

@crony said:

I guess the ram issue doesn’t matter than much since AUv3 share a fixed Ram size. Could be wrong on this though.
    But that’s what I’ve understood so far

There was mention that iOS 13 would lift (or increase) the AUv3 RAM limits for devices with "expanded memory" or some such. I haven't heard much about it since, so I don't know what the deal is (Is it true? What constitutes "expanded memory"? 4GB? 6GB? 3GB? What are the new limits?)

Personally, I don't use samples and most of the apps I use have a very small size, so I'm guessing I'm more bound by CPU than RAM. Still, I would welcome expanded RAM and expanded limits....

• The user and all related content has been deleted.