Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Solved: Sample Automap in Nanostudio. Mind the spaces!

edited November 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

I'm trying to import a set of audio samples into Obsidian using the "Automap Samples" function but whatever I've tried fails.
I checked the blipinteractive forum for a step-by-step tutorial but I can neither import a selected set of audio files (lacking an "import" or "automap" button) nor can I auto-map all files in a folder to an Obsidian oscillator layer (by selecting none and double-tapping on one file?)
After hitting the Automap icon and navigating to the file browser, I can double-tap on a single file in a folder and I'll find myself back in Obsidian but no sample map has been created. No error message either.
WAV file format is 16bit, stereo, 44k1.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• Are they named correctly?

• @rs2000 said:
    I'm trying to import a set of audio samples into Obsidian using the "Automap Samples" function but whatever I've tried fails.
    I checked the blipinteractive forum for a step-by-step tutorial but I can neither import a selected set of audio files (lacking an "import" or "automap" button) nor can I auto-map all files in a folder to an Obsidian oscillator layer (by selecting none and double-tapping on one file?)
    After hitting the Automap icon and navigating to the file browser, I can double-tap on a single file in a folder and I'll find myself back in Obsidian but no sample map has been created. No error message either.
    WAV file format is 16bit, stereo, 44k1.
    Any suggestions?

Show us some screen shots or something. It’s working as normal for me. What device, OS, etc?

• @ajmiller said:
    Are they named correctly?

Please be this. Are they getting named by the new SynthJacker for example? I'm planning on
    using SynthJacker into NS2 to make my realtime orchestra in 2020 for my iPhone. It this is broken
    then so are my dreams.

• @McD said:

@ajmiller said:

Please be this. Are they getting named by the new SynthJacker for example? I'm planning on
    using SynthJacker into NS2 to make my realtime orchestra in 2020 for my iPhone. It this is broken
    then so are my dreams.

I started with Number_Name_Note_Velocity, then Name_Note and the only thing that works is importing samples one-by one. Notes look like "A-1", "C3", "F#4" etc.

• edited November 2019

@rs2000

definitely not broken ;) you need to name it like described in autoload area in Obsidian (see screenshot) - name followed by space followed by note ... then just tap "autolad samples" and tap one sample - it will autolad all samples with same base name...

• Does it have to be a space or underline? (I never use spaces in file names, nothing but trouble ;) )

• edited November 2019

space .. i have quite large library of multisampled oscillators from my hw synths and never had single issue with space in name in NS, don't be afraid ;)

• Aaah thanks @dendy. Works now. Thead title changed.

• Nice.
    Was going to check this feature out.
    You saved me some headache with this.
    🤙🏻

• @CracklePot said:
    Nice.
    Was going to check this feature out.
    You saved me some headache with this.
    🤙🏻

You're welcome. If all goes well, I'll post one or more creations on the patch sharing site.

Fyi
    Working examples:
    Acoustic_Piano C3.wav
    E-piano_Wurly D2.wav

Invalid names:
    E-piano_D2.wav
    Acoustic_Piano C4 127.wav

@dendy Any way to build a file name to have it placed in one of the three velocity windows too?

• btw SynthJacker is perfect for creating multisample packages for Obsidian - you can set it to create files exactly in obsidian compatible format, and eventually sample stuff with up to 3 velocity layers - splitted to subfolders - then it creates zipped package - you just open that zipped package in NS - NSunpacks it automatically into Library/Inbox.. now you use autoload to load samples from first folder into first oscillator, second folder to second oscillator and third folder to third oscillator .. after that just set proper velocity intervals for 3 iscillators and you have 3 velocity layers ;)

• @rs2000 said:

@McD said:

@ajmiller said:

then so are my dreams.

I started with Number_Name_Note_Velocity, then Name_Note and the only thing that works is importing samples one-by one. Notes look like "A-1", "C3", "F#4" etc.

SynthJacker allows you to use NS2 compatible naming format

• edited November 2019

btw NS sampler supports all sample formats which are supported also for mixdown, so from 22 to 96khz, with bitrates 16/24/32fixed/32floating

it also supports loop points stored inside wav file (in NS terminology "sustain loop") .. of course if you don't have sustain loop points defined in wav file, you can define them using NS audio editor.

And last thing i wanted to mention - because recently i found that lot people didn't noticed that - with any existing zone selected try tap this icon - there is few very handy global functions for changing some settings globally for all loaded samples at once..

• @dendy Cool, thanks. I already have the samples, it's only a matter of picking the best ones that give a rather smooth chromatic experience (i.e. sound should not change too much from key zone to key zone) and renaming of course. This and the tests to find how wide a key zone can be without affecting sound quality too much takes much more time than sampling itself. Also, when I sample, I prefer to do the work only once (to make a high quality set for Kontakt and a "toy" set for the little dwarfs).
    Luckily I still keep an old PPC Mac with Redmatica AutoSampler which is great for auto-sampling and looping. Also did my recent D1 PCM set this way.

• @rs2000 said:
    Luckily I still keep an old PPC Mac with Redmatica AutoSampler which is great for auto-sampling and looping.

Drool. I want these tools for IOS.

• @McD said:

@rs2000 said:
    Luckily I still keep an old PPC Mac with Redmatica AutoSampler which is great for auto-sampling and looping.

Drool. I want these tools for IOS.

Funny fact: Apple has literally swallowed Redmatica and some of the functions have found its way into MainStage/Mac. It's only a bare metal set however.
    I wonder what Apple will do with all the genius code. Maybe not too much, considering that the "Sampler" in Garageband is still on Casio SK1 level :o

• @rs2000 said:
    @dendy Cool, thanks. I already have the samples, it's only a matter of picking the best ones that give a rather smooth chromatic experience (i.e. sound should not change too much from key zone to key zone) and renaming of course. This and the tests to find how wide a key zone can be without affecting sound quality too much takes much more time than sampling itself. Also, when I sample, I prefer to do the work only once (to make a high quality set for Kontakt and a "toy" set for the little dwarfs).
    Luckily I still keep an old PPC Mac with Redmatica AutoSampler which is great for auto-sampling and looping. Also did my recent D1 PCM set this way.

You can crossfade zones if you didn’t know. In the same menu @dendy shows above.

• edited November 2019

@anickt said:

@rs2000 said:
    @dendy Cool, thanks. I already have the samples, it's only a matter of picking the best ones that give a rather smooth chromatic experience (i.e. sound should not change too much from key zone to key zone) and renaming of course. This and the tests to find how wide a key zone can be without affecting sound quality too much takes much more time than sampling itself. Also, when I sample, I prefer to do the work only once (to make a high quality set for Kontakt and a "toy" set for the little dwarfs).

You can crossfade zones if you didn’t know. In the same menu @dendy shows above.

Can Obsidian mix samples phase-coherent reliably?
    Crossfading zones or layers will usually require that.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@dendy said:
    btw SynthJacker is perfect for creating multisample packages for Obsidian - you can set it to create files exactly in obsidian compatible format, and eventually sample stuff with up to 3 velocity layers - splitted to subfolders - then it creates zipped package - you just open that zipped package in NS - NSunpacks it automatically into Library/Inbox..

I’m not seeing where to tell SynthJacker to create a zipped package? No big deal since I can do that offline, but just want to know if I missed something.

• @wim said:
    I’m not seeing where to tell SynthJacker to create a zipped package?

I don't think that's a feature.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

Yeh, thought so, @McD. It’s easy enough to move the folder with the samples into the NanoStudio though.

Another more problematic issue for Obsidian is setting loop points in samples. There’s no way to audition them without exiting the editor and saving the sample. That’s just way too tedious to be practical.

Or am I missing something?

Every time I decide to try to get into making multi-sampled instruments I always realize I just don’t have the patience to do it to any level of quality I can live with. :#

• @wim said:
    Yeh, thought so, @McD. It’s easy enough to move the folder with the samples into the NanoStudio though.

Sure. In the files app you can move a folder and just drop in into the NS2 Interments folder, right? Or is there something special that happens when NS2 unzips a file? I'm seriously interested in the right answer.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@McD said:

@wim said:

Sure. In the files app you can move a folder and just drop in into the NS2 Interments folder, right? Or is there something special that happens when NS2 unzips a file? I'm seriously interested in the right answer.

When it unzips a file that has an NS2 XML instrument definition file in it, it fully creates a patch. I think when you send it a zip file that is just a folder full of samples, it just makes a folder as if you copied that folder there using the files app.

I believe when moving folders of samples into the app, they should go in the Library > Audio folder, not the Instruments folder.

• @wim said:

@McD said:

@wim said:

When it unzips a file that has an NS2 XML instrument definition file, it fully creates a patch. I think when you send it a zip file that is just a folder full of samples, it just makes a folder as if you copied that folder there using the files app.

Thanks. Your are invaluable with your assistance on a myriad of topics.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@McD said:

@wim said:

@McD said:

@wim said:

When it unzips a file that has an NS2 XML instrument definition file, it fully creates a patch. I think when you send it a zip file that is just a folder full of samples, it just makes a folder as if you copied that folder there using the files app.

Thanks. Your are invaluable with your assistance on a myriad of topics.

Actually ... maybe I spoke too soon on the XML stuff. Goin’ from memory here. The file extension for patches is package.obs for Obsidian and package.slt for Slate. But the contents are XML formatted.

• @wim said:
    But the contents are XML formatted.

I wonder if we could coax @coniferprod to make these XML files to sell more
    units? I'd buy it just for that capability but I do already own it so... Who wants this feature
    to add clones of AUv3 apps into Obsidian? Who wouldn't, if it was really easy?

• @McD said:

@wim said:
    But the contents are XML formatted.

I wonder if we could coax @coniferprod to make these XML files to sell more
    units? I'd buy it just for that capability but I do already own it so... Who wants this feature
    to add clones of AUv3 apps into Obsidian? Who wouldn't, if it was really easy?

Would this make things really easier than they are?
    I Don't own SynthJacker but the AppStore description says that you can define how sample names are formatted, including the syntax required by Obsidian.
    You drop all files into one new folder, load them in Obsidian using "Automap" and that's it.
    Can it get any easier? ;)

• What @dendy said. SynthJacker can output files which are correctly named for importing to Obsidian. That feature was made specifically for NS2 users.

SynthJacker does not create a ZIP package, it’s easy enough to just move the folder(s) around with the Files app.

Sorry still no loop points yet, but it’s in the plans. I also took a look at the Obsidian XML format, but it’s not really documentes, and could change underneath. To me it’s not really worth supporting directly, it doesn’t make things that much easier IMHO.

• @coniferprod said:
    What @dendy said. SynthJacker can output files which are correctly named for importing to Obsidian. That feature was made specifically for NS2 users.

SynthJacker does not create a ZIP package, it’s easy enough to just move the folder(s) around with the Files app.

Sorry still no loop points yet, but it’s in the plans. I also took a look at the Obsidian XML format, but it’s not really documented, and could change underneath. To me it’s not really worth supporting directly, it doesn’t make things that much easier IMHO.

So. What's next IAA app hosting? or maybe use AudioBus API's for the old stuff? ZenBeats (was StageLight)? BM3? SF2 packaging? Batch processing of AUv3 hosts from a list... pick app for slot 1,2,3,4 5. See you in the morning.