Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synthmaster One is out!

Comments

• @kv331audio_bulent

What’s happening with the most needed facelift - (the desktop ‘Blue’ UI)?
    Hopefully this is ready for the update..

King

• Was wondering about this too. A darker UI option/iOS dark mode would be welcome. Pretty much quit using any other iOS synth since this is so versatile... makes one crave these things.

• edited November 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Wait for November 16: Our Black Friday sale starts then.

I wish I had known this before I shelled out $20 for Synthmaster One today, especially considering that its MPE and MIDI controller support is completely broken. This issue has been echoed by @Strizbiz in an AppStore review. I tried one virtual MPE controller and one hardware MPE controller and neither worked. I also could not get the app to register a simple MIDI CC control that the hardware controller was sending (verified through a MIDI monitor)

In addition, double tapping the header or the AU when hosted in AUM leads to a GUI resizing error where the bottom is cutoff, requiring a lot of fiddling, moving around, and resizing to get at important functions.

Finally, I’ve encountered a lot of problems using the AU, specifically in navigating menus and making selections. Often it takes multiple taps in or around a parameter for the one to register. Maybe it’s because I’m (lucky enough to be) on a 12.9 iPad Pro?

I desperately want to use your app, but these items are showstoppers.

Thanks for your consideration.

• I've given up waiting for an update. Last update was one year ago today.

App description still says that Synthmaster One supports scala microtuning. It absolutely does not.

the interface is pretty buggy as well. I would love to use it, but it's stuck in equal temperament. I've got tons of great sounding synths that are stuck in equal temperament synths. The number of tunable synths on iOS is paltry, so I was very excited about this, and it's been a letdown.

Yes, it is capable of making fun sounds, but the menus are glitchy, it feels more like a port than an app intended for touchscreen.

It annoys me that they advertise features that don't yet exist.

• @kv331audio_bulent said:

I’m here, November 16 is here, where’s the sale? :smiley:

• edited November 2019

@KING said:
    What’s happening with the most needed facelift - (the desktop ‘Blue’ UI)?

The blue UI will not happen in the near future. Adding multiple skins is a big task. I wish we would be making sufficient money with our iOS products so that we could hire a dedicated person, but unfortunately that's not the case. Our iOS sales are 10% of our desktop sales.

• @Faland said:

Our sale has started, for our desktop products.

@Faland said:

Our sale has started, for our desktop products.

No iOS?

• edited November 2019

@Faland said:
    No iOS?

starts on Black Friday, ends on January 1.

@Faland said:
    No iOS?

starts on Black Friday, ends on January 1.

Thank you, even for the iaps?

• @kv331audio_bulent @kv331audio

Could you please state whether kv331 intends to address the existing problems with MIDI and MPE controllers and the glitchy GUI issues?

• @papertiger said:
    @kv331audio_bulent @kv331audio

Could you please state whether kv331 intends to address the existing problems with MIDI and MPE controllers and the glitchy GUI issues?

Yes we plan to address those.

For the MPE "bug", I need more description though for the reproduceable test case. What exactly did not work regarding MPE? Could you please give more details ?

• @Faland said:
    Thank you, even for the iaps?

Yes

• @papertiger said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

Finally, I’ve encountered a lot of problems using the AU, specifically in navigating menus and making selections. Often it takes multiple taps in or around a parameter for the one to register. Maybe it’s because I’m (lucky enough to be) on a 12.9 iPad Pro?

Can you please give a little bit more detail in your "bug" description. What's not working when navigating menus ? What requires multiple taps? I couldn't understand very well.

• edited November 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:
    Our iOS sales are 10% of our desktop sales.

I hope this changes in the near future for the better. Question, do u mean sales revenue, or actual sales?

• @ipadbeatmaking said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

I hope this changes in the near future for the better. Question, do u mean sales revenue, or actual sales?

That's the gross revenue, then Apple takes 30% out of that.

Yes we plan to address those.

For the MPE "bug", I need more description though for the reproduceable test case. What exactly did not work regarding MPE? Could you please give more details ?

Thank you. That’s good to hear.

As for the MPE issues I’ve had at least two.

First, Slide (usually mapped as MIDI CC 74) does not work as a modulation source in the Mod Matrix. I know the device (a Seaboard Block) is sending MIDI CC 74 because it works with other apps just fine, and a MIDI monitor confirms it. It just doesn’t work with your app.

Second, the Press gesture (which is revived as aftertouch or poly aftertouch depending on the app) does not work consistently with your app. I have not been able to reproduce when it does and doesn’t work because my music time is very limited so I tend to set aside apps that don’t work properly. The slide gesture works fine with other MPE apps, with no problems using the same controller.

Your app is just what I’m looking for on iOS and it’s unique among wavetable synths because it combines great sound with a pleasing and easy to use interface. But being able to play it expressively is a key reason I purchased it. As I mentioned I’m not the only one experiencing these MPE/MIDI control issues. I hope others will share their experiences.

• @papertiger said:
    First, Slide (usually mapped as MIDI CC 74) does not work as a modulation source in the Mod Matrix. I know the device (a Seaboard Block) is sending MIDI CC 74 because it works with other apps just fine, and a MIDI monitor confirms it. It just doesn’t work with your app.

I have to double check CC74, but try this: Under settings, there's a setting under "MIDI Input" category: CC74->CC1. This converts CC74 to CC1 (ModWheel) so you can play many of the presets that use modwheel expressively.

Second, the Press gesture (which is revived as aftertouch or poly aftertouch depending on the app) does not work consistently with your app. I have not been able to reproduce when it does and doesn’t work because my music time is very limited so I tend to set aside apps that don’t work properly. The slide gesture works fine with other MPE apps, with no problems using the same controller.

We didn't say we support press gesture, because we don't, yet. Now that I'm finishing up on my updates for v1.3, I'll look into that.

• edited November 2019

@palms said:
    I've given up waiting for an update. Last update was one year ago today.

App description still says that Synthmaster One supports scala microtuning. It absolutely does not.

Watch this please:

Drag-n-drop scale functionality will be part of v1.3 update. If I don't have any further interruptions next week, I'll release the beta in 4-5 days.

@palms said:
    I've given up waiting for an update. Last update was one year ago today.

Watch this please:

Drag-n-drop scale functionality will be part of v1.3 update. If I don't have any further interruptions next week, I'll release the beta in 4-5 days.

thanks for the communication, much appreciated!

• edited November 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@ipadbeatmaking said:

@kv331audio_bulent said:

That's the gross revenue, then Apple takes 30% out of that.

SynthMaster One for iPhone may change that due to a larger user base of iPhones than iPads. The iPhone version may earn even outsell with more revenue than the niche iPad version (even though the iPhone version is priced way too low than the iPad version).

I hope Steinberg understands the importance of iPhone version of Cubasis too.

• @MobileMusic said:
    SynthMaster One for iPhone may change that due to a larger user base of iPhones than iPads. The iPhone version may earn even more revenue than the niche iPad version (even though the iPhone version is priced way too low than the iPad version).

Hopefuly :smiley:

We'll be producing lots of videos that feature GarageBand + SynthMaster One.

• edited November 2019

@kv331audio_bulent said:

@MobileMusic said:
    SynthMaster One for iPhone may change that due to a larger user base of iPhones than iPads. The iPhone version may earn even more revenue than the niche iPad version (even though the iPhone version is priced way too low than the iPad version).

Hopefuly :smiley:

We'll be producing lots of videos that feature GarageBand + SynthMaster One.

Way to go! GB + SM1 is a good combo for the tutorial videos covering a vast majority of user base. You may also like to consider Cubasis to demo MPE, MIDI FX, etc.

Video is the future. Many app developers do great job developing cool apps but do not spend much time on creating (any) tutorial videos which do the marketing work for the apps so all that investment of time, money and energy do not get optimized due to lack of tutorial videos. That's like spending a ton of money on producing and releasing a movie without any marketing! Caustic has a ton of tutorial videos. Ideally, a third of the effort and budget should be dedicated and spent on marketing of any product or venture. It is so easy to create screen recording videos of apps and share them freely on YouTube in this day and age and there is no reason not to take advantage of them. We can create a cult following for apps with tutorial videos.

• edited November 2019

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay on the v1.3 update. the iPhone stuff took a lot of time, however, we're about to finish it. Since the iPhone has a tiny screen, I tried to make the workflow as simple as possible. Hopefuly this weekend I'll release the beta for both SynthMaster One Universal and SynthMaster One iPhone.

FYI: Our Black Friday sale starts on November 29: 60% OFF for all iOS products. SynthMaster One iPhone will be released at the intro price of $1.99, with 300 presets (200 initial + 100 extra when you register). The factory presets in SynthMaster One Universal has increased to 650 (400 initial + 250 when you register).

Here are some screenshots for the iPhone:

• Looks fantastic, can’t wait!

• These are real good news! Thanks

• I'm working on some real workflow improvements - they apply to both iPad and iPhone -

1. When editing a knob / slider, it's zoomed so even if your iPhone/iPad is tiny, you'll notice that you're editing the control:

1. You can even change the modulation amount without going to the mod matrix! Select a modulation source, and then long press the knob/slider, it will switch to modulation amount edit mode:

1. When dragging and dropping a modulation source, it was not visible, which was really annoying, that's fixed as well:

• Really nice conversion of the GUI for the smaller screens. Good job. This will be a great addition to the iPhone arsenal!!!

• Thanks for the updates @kv331audio_bulent

Putting a reminder on the calendar for 11/29

• edited November 2019

@kv331audio_bulent,

Nice job! Workflow improvements are way too cool and highly desired. Since I couldn’t wait to try it out, I tried to long press and hold the controls in the screenshots to see if they would zoom in (but they did not zoom as intended so I’ll wait). This synth will rule all other synths and set the bar.

But $1.99 for a desktop class synth with all the features from its desktop counterpart as-is, is like - it is virtually FREE!!

If you plan to make it available during Black Friday, you have to release it, have it tested and come out of beta with a stable version before that.

This discussion has been closed.