Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auditor - Audio Editor by Living Memory Software

Comments

• @skiphunt said:
    I think I might want this...

I know I can do everything I want to do with Auria Pro, but often I don't really need all the options in Auria. Yes, I know that's a DAW and Auditor is an editor.

Could I do this easily in Auditor: import a field recording, create a loop out of it that goes for about 5mins. Then, import more field recordings, trim them and add fades on each end, adjust the level of each, then composite them on separate layers above the first looped 5min layer.... then export the whole composite as one stereo file?

That seems like it would work to me. Multitrack DAW is another excellent app that would work great for that. And, it's universal, which which helpful sometimes if you're recording on your phone. The loop tool in Auditor is especially nice though.

In the batch edit mode... when I make a bunch of field recordings, they're all named with the date/time/etc. Can I batch rename a bunch of different recordings that I did at a specific location, ie. "parkrecording" and have Auditor rename them all sequentially "parkrecording1" "parkrecording2" etc.?

I haven't tried the batch stuff yet, so can't help here.

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

I know I can do everything I want to do with Auria Pro, but often I don't really need all the options in Auria. Yes, I know that's a DAW and Auditor is an editor.

Could I do this easily in Auditor: import a field recording, create a loop out of it that goes for about 5mins. Then, import more field recordings, trim them and add fades on each end, adjust the level of each, then composite them on separate layers above the first looped 5min layer.... then export the whole composite as one stereo file?

That seems like it would work to me. Multitrack DAW is another excellent app that would work great for that. And, it's universal, which which helpful sometimes if you're recording on your phone. The loop tool in Auditor is especially nice though.

In the batch edit mode... when I make a bunch of field recordings, they're all named with the date/time/etc. Can I batch rename a bunch of different recordings that I did at a specific location, ie. "parkrecording" and have Auditor rename them all sequentially "parkrecording1" "parkrecording2" etc.?

Renaming is not available at this time. You might suggest it to the dev. I’ve been using iFiles 2 for that. It also does a lot of other stuff that comes in handy from time to time.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ifiles-2/id1104795347

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Yeah, I'd thought about MTD. I've had it forever. One of the first audio apps I bought. But, I never really got along with it's interface. Glad it was updated recently... I really should give it another spin. I played with it briefly after the recent update and quickly remembered how I originally found it frustrating to use. Auditor looks like it's a bit easier to navigate.

thx

• @oldschoolwillie said:
    I am having trouble importing audio
    The audio files are greyed out and I cannot select them
    running IOS 11.3.1 iPad Pro 2nd generation 12.9
    The app is highlighting folders but not audio files .........?

well.. it’s not just you... i’m getting the same.. and i’m on a second gen 10.5 pro with ios 11.4.1..
    can’t figure it out... will check in with the dev if i can find him..

• @RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

well.. it’s not just you... i’m getting the same.. and i’m on a second gen 10.5 pro with ios 11.4.1..

What directory are you browsing?

Does this happen for you with all directories?

The developer's support page is:

https://livingmemorysoftware.com/support/

• I thought that you can record directly from audiobus but I was wrong. Would be possible in the future or doubts have to record in other apps and then import?

• @RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

I had this happen after testing app crashes when exporting to mp3. Rebooting my iPad fixed it completely.

• @RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

Try dragging the file from Files app split view into the app?

• @CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

that has never been the problem.. but if you want to batch process you can’t select anything ( from anywhere ) in the internal browser..
    sorry @wim , a reboot didn’t fix it...
    i hope it’s not just me being dumb about something..

• @RockySmalls said:

@CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

that has never been the problem.. but if you want to batch process you can’t select anything ( from anywhere ) in the internal browser..

Perhaps this is an iOS 11 only issue?

Is this true for all directories on your iPad and in iCloud?

Have you sent the dev an email?

• Hello all! Wow what a long thread, and mostly positive too! thanks folks! :)

Please understand I'm not going to answer any questions here regarding future additions, AUv3 hosting support or other wish list requests etc. Other than to say most of what's been requested is already in the update plan and if you really want something then priorities can change if I see enough demand but Auditor is not heading to become a DAW or a mastering suite.

I am here with a mea-culpa: The issue with greyed out files on iOS 11 is because somehow I removed a line of code that's required for iOS 11 but not for 12 or 13. I've just uploaded a beta test version that fixes teething issues found so far including the greyed files.

I'll release this update asap. ( as soon as I'm sure it's stable ). If you're using iOS 11 and want faster access you can apply to me to become a beta tester via [email protected], you must attach a screenshot of the problem to the mail and then I'll add you to our testing list. You'll also need to download TestFlight from the app store.

• edited November 2019

@RockySmalls said:

@CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

not dumb at all it's entirely my fault... see my previous post ^^

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

Just played around with Multitrack DAW again. It’s much better now than I remember. The updated interface is significantly easier to use. And yes, I could do pretty much everything I described in that scenario with just MTD. Plus I can input from AUs and use AU effects. It’s also universal as you reminded me.

Pretty much the only thing I can’t do is the looping of Auditor correct?

Even though I could do what I described in Auditor, ie. Composite field recordings and layer on top of a loop created from one of the recordings, etc. what I’m describing is really more DAW duties and not really Auditor’s editing core competency. Is this correct? If so, given my sample scenario of what I’d use it for, I’d be foolish to buy Auditor for that purpose... is that also pretty much correct?

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@skiphunt said:
    Just played around with Multitrack DAW again. It’s much better now than I remember. The updated interface is significantly easier to use. And yes, I could do pretty much everything I described in that scenario with just MTD. Plus I can input from AUs and use AU effects. It’s also universal as you reminded me.

You can do a pretty good job of looping with just overlaps and fades in MTD, but it’s easier in Auditor. Auditor also has tons of conversion options. MTD is wav only and a set sample rate.

Even though I could do what I described in Auditor, ie. Composite field recordings and layer on top of a loop created from one of the recordings, etc. what I’m describing is really more DAW duties and not really Auditor’s editing core competency. Is this correct? If so, given my sample scenario of what I’d use it for, I’d be foolish to buy Auditor for that purpose... is that also pretty much correct?

It does sound more like a DAW type workflow. But I dunno.
    I guess I do think of it as more of a utility than a compositional tool. But I tend to compartmentalize things. All I can say is I like Auditor a lot for what I expect to be using it for, which is simply quick but precise audio file editing.

• Hi @LivingMemorySoftware - great to have you here! I love the app.

I know you don’t want to discuss future additions, so I don’t need any answer, but I do have a feature suggestion. The app this replaces in my workflow has one feature I need that I can’t get in Auditor - tagging. That app lets you fill in information, then saves it in mp3 and other formats that support tags. It would be great if Auditor could do that some day.

Thanks again for a really nice app.

• @wim said:

@skiphunt said:

You can do a pretty good job of looping with just overlaps and fades in MTD, but it’s easier in Auditor. Auditor also has tons of conversion options. MTD is wav only and a set sample rate.

It does sound more like a DAW type workflow. But I dunno.
    I guess I do think of it as more of a utility than a compositional tool. But I tend to compartmentalize things. All I can say is I like Auditor a lot for what I expect to be using it for, which is simply quick but precise audio file editing.

I don’t really care that much about the conversion stuff. My uses are mostly just for video anyway and Audioshare covers anything I’d ever need.

The looping function does look nice and I like how the dev has designed the interface. I’m just not sure if that’s enough to justify hitting the buy button.

Thanks for the insight. I hate to be so indecisive on a fairly inexpensive app, but at this point I’ve got quite a boneyard of excellent apps that I never use. I’m sure many here can relate. ;)

• edited November 2019

Hi @LivingMemorySoftware : just bought, v 1.0 (43), running on my iPad 2018 on iPad 0S 13.1.3, opens to a frozen ‘recents’, screen with an illegible grey text box, and - nothing else. Thought you ought to know. I’ll email direct as well, of course.

EDIT - just had a response from @LivingMemorySoftware - excellent fast response, btw - turns out on dark mode screens you can’t see the ‘OK’ at the bottom of the welcome splash. Dumb of me to miss it, I guess most here didn’t, still, the dev says the visibility is being addressed in the next update, and now I am off to twist some waves. Er - audit them! :)

• Still no proper video for this APP?

• edited November 2019

@LivingMemorySoftware said:

@RockySmalls said:

@CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

sent a few previous emails to the support team

Auditor "STAND ALONE" is not allowing me to import audio files from any location on my IPAD

I am running IOS version 11.3.1 on my iPad Pro 2nd generation 12.9

The AUv3 version of Auditor does let me import files from my IPAD

Being able to access the editing features of the app through the AUv3 would be ideal.

I sent an email to your support address from my personal email account and received an instant auto response.

From the bot application on your site so I am reposting the info in the I email sent here

Thanks for being here on the forum to help us out though ......

• @CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

that’s not been a problem.. but if you want to do ( or try to ) a batch p> @LivingMemorySoftware said:

@RockySmalls said:

@CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

hurrah for not being dumb! :)
    email sent , i am aok with a beta, thanks for swooping in here to save the day..

• @LivingMemorySoftware ,
    Hi, thanks for a great app :)
    Is there any way to make the edit window full screen please? Its something thats missing in ios editors and would be very cool .
    Cheers :)

• @LivingMemorySoftware said:
    Hello all! Wow what a long thread, and mostly positive too! thanks folks! :)

Please understand I'm not going to answer any questions here regarding future additions, AUv3 hosting support or other wish list requests etc. Other than to say most of what's been requested is already in the update plan and if you really want something then priorities can change if I see enough demand but Auditor is not heading to become a DAW or a mastering suite.

I am here with a mea-culpa: The issue with greyed out files on iOS 11 is because somehow I removed a line of code that's required for iOS 11 but not for 12 or 13. I've just uploaded a beta test version that fixes teething issues found so far including the greyed files.

I'll release this update asap. ( as soon as I'm sure it's stable ). If you're using iOS 11 and want faster access you can apply to me to become a beta tester via [email protected], you must attach a screenshot of the problem to the mail and then I'll add you to our testing list. You'll also need to download TestFlight from the app store.

All Greyness is Banished! beta sorted it, batch proc normalizing, reversing and mp3ing in one works a treat..
    cheers Andy.

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@RockySmalls said:

@CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

Auditor "STAND ALONE" is not allowing me to import audio files from any location on my IPAD

Being able to access the editing features of the app through the AUv3 would be ideal.

I sent an email to your support address from my personal email account and received an instant auto response.

From the bot application on your site so I am reposting the info in the I email sent here

OldSchool... If you'd like to be put on the beta list contact me via the email address I provided (see my previous post), otherwise it'll be a couple of days before the new update hits the store.

It's turned out that the support form on our brand new website was not working properly, the web developer is on the case there too and is fixing it as I type this!

• @oldschoolwillie said:

@RockySmalls said:

@CracklePot said:

@RockySmalls said:

@oldschoolwillie said:

As noted a few posts up-thread, there is a filebrowser bug that affects people running iOS 11 that will be addressed shortly

• So I have done twistedwave, hokusai and now this one.

Shootout:

While this one may be the least feature-rich, it has the best and smoothest UI of all of them, and it feels like it was designed for touchscreen rather than something you wish you had a mouse for.

The "layers" audio setup reminds me of the venerable app "Wave Editor" for my mac.

Also, you can set the bpm of your track and it'll snap to transients.

I like it and I feel like it will probably be my go-to soon.

• @anomieholiday I'm liking Auditor better as well, even though it currently has the slowest mp3 conversion.

• wimwim
    edited November 2019

@Paa89 said:
    Still no proper video for this APP?

A video for an audio editor? Why?

It's got a manual that covers everything. You know those things that tell you how to do things but don't have moving pictures? Ask your parents - they'll remember what those are. :D

• edited November 2019

@wim said:

@Paa89 said:

It's got a manual that covers everything. You know those things that tell you how to do things but don't have moving pictures? Ask your parents - they'll remember what those are. :D

Manuals are great for when you own the software and want to understand it better but they may not describe gotchas that tend to be glossed over. iOS is full of uncooked stuff. There can be seemingly small gotchas that are actually huge gotchas for some people. For example there is another audio editor I got that when applying cross-fades it does them in a destructive manner and slices the cross-fade zones into separate clips so you can't edit them after the fact without essentially deleting a bunch of clips and redoing the cross-fade. A very clunky unwieldy gotcha that is not described in the manual.

Videos do have their place when wondering if something is a worthwhile purchase.

• @AudioGus said:

@wim said:

@Paa89 said:

Manuals are great for when you own the software and want to understand it better but they may not describe gotchas that tend to be glossed over. iOS is full of uncooked stuff. There can be seemingly small gotchas that are actually huge gotchas for some people. For example there is another audio editor I got that when applying cross-fades it does them in a destructive manner and slices the cross-fade zones into separate clips so you can't edit them after the fact without essentially deleting a bunch of clips and redoing the cross-fade. A very clunky unwieldy gotcha that is not described in the manual.

Videos do have their place when wondering if something is a worthwhile purchase.

Videos are really great if you don’t read the language of the published Manual, too.

• @AudioGus said:

@wim said:

@Paa89 said:

And you think a video would have covered that quirk / ill advised feature? Ummm...K.

Kids these days.